HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2014, 05:05 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Can we please seriously entertain the possibility that San Jose wants to slightly rebuild and trade Joe Thornton? Would we not be the perfect fit?

What would you guys give up for Big Joe? He'd be an incredible stop gap both in mentoring RNH and LD.

I'd do 2015 1st + top prospect
He's 35. Trading our 2015 1st and one of our top prospects would be a terrible idea at this point in our rebuild. If he was in his late 20's, sure. But not for a guy at his age

08-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Can we please seriously entertain the possibility that San Jose wants to slightly rebuild and trade Joe Thornton? Would we not be the perfect fit?

What would you guys give up for Big Joe? He'd be an incredible stop gap both in mentoring RNH and LD.

I'd do 2015 1st + top prospect
They actually did entertain it this offseason around the draft, the rumor was Thornton would only accept a trade to one team(NY or philly, can't remember what it was).

Think it was Dallas that had a trade in place, but when Thornton rejected, they acquired Spezza instead.

Old
Spawn

I'd give up a lot for Joe Thornton. Yeah he's 35. But he's still one of the best centers in the league. Very strong defensively, and still a near PPG. He's also been one of the most durable players in the league over the last 10 years. Factor in that his game is very much a cerebral, slow paced one, I don't think he'll be as hurt by age as guys who rely more on being good skaters and have had lots of injury problems. Just look at how productive Jagr still is and he's 42! I think Thornton is a player who also will be very productive even into his twilight years. He's also on a hell of a contract for the next 3 seasons. He wouldn't just solve this teams #2 center problem. He'd solve this teams #1 center problem.

But he'd never in 100 years waive his NMC to go to Edmonton. Zero chance of that. So the discussion is almost pointless.

Last edited by Spawn: 08-20-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old
MisterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
He's 35. Trading our 2015 1st and one of our top prospects would be a terrible idea at this point in our rebuild. If he was in his late 20's, sure. But not for a guy at his age
If he was in his late 20's, you wouldn't get within a sniff of him with that offer. I would trade our 1st and a good prospect to get him, as it would propel us into the playoffs. But doesn't matter, he's not waiving to come here anyways.

Old
08-20-2014, 06:09 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
If he was in his late 20's, you wouldn't get within a sniff of him with that offer. I would trade our 1st and a good prospect to get him, as it would propel us into the playoffs. But doesn't matter, he's not waiving to come here anyways.
Well seeing as that's about what he returned when he was dealt at 26, I think you're wrong

Old
08-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Soundwave

Trading a 1st for Joe Thornton would be insane.

By next year RNH won't be that young even anymore, he will start to be a more well rounded player.

Draisaitl will be ready for no.2 C by 2015-16.

Old
08-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Trading a 1st for Joe Thornton would be insane.

By next year RNH won't be that young even anymore, he will start to be a more well rounded player.

Draisaitl will be ready for no.2 C by 2015-16.
Since when is 22 not that young?

Old
08-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Looks like BC college prospect Kevin Hayes has signed with the Rangers. hahhaha.. poor Flame fans and their 76 page thread dedicated to him on CP.
Not to mention the full page groveling posts begging him to come

Id love to get Thorton.

Would really only be comfortable giving up Schultz + 2nd to get him. Low ball offer but w/e. Giving up 2015 1st still scares me.

I would give up the 2015 1st, but for a younger guy

Old
08-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 732
But if we trade a 2015 1st for Thornton, we'd almost certainly be a playoff team.

Hall-Thornton-Eberle
Perron-Nuge-Yakupov
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Arcobello

That's suddenly an incredibly competitive lineup.

Old
08-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Da McBomb

At this point of our rebuild.. trading a 2015 1st and a top prospect for Thornton would be foolish. No doubt he could help this club, but no way in hell would I give up that much for a 35 year old player.

Old
08-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Ovechking

Quote:
At this point of our rebuild.. trading a 2015 1st and a top prospect for Thornton would be foolish. No doubt he could help this club, but no way in hell would I give up that much for a 35 year old player.
Now is the best time in the rebuild to trade a pick and a prospect for an elite #1C.

Old
08-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Da McBomb

Quote:
Now is the best time in the rebuild to trade a pick and a prospect for an elite #1C.
No its not.. the Oilers are still a bottom five team. Adding Thornton would not make this club into a cup contender so why risk giving up so much for him? As much as our center position is lacking right now, Nuge and Draisaitl will be our top 2 centres when this team is really ready to compete. What we need more is a decent stop gap centre who can help Nuge and Draisaitl for a couple of years. And I might be more open to the idea if Thornton was younger.. but he is definitely not gonna be an elite centre for much longer.

Old
08-20-2014, 09:07 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
But if we trade a 2015 1st for Thornton, we'd almost certainly be a playoff team.

Hall-Thornton-Eberle
Perron-Nuge-Yakupov
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Arcobello

That's suddenly an incredibly competitive lineup.
and then choke in the playoffs. Thornton has proven over and over to have no compete level. I would not pay much of a price at all to get him.

Old
08-20-2014, 09:09 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
and then choke in the playoffs. Thornton has proven over and over to have no compete level. I would not pay much of a price at all to get him.
Atleast this guy can get us to the playoffs

Old
08-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Da McBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Atleast this guy can get us to the playoffs
yah possibly for the next couple of years.. but it won't be far into the playoffs. Then after a couple of first round exits, Thornton is all of a sudden 37 years old and really starting to show his age, while we all gripe at how much the 2015 first round pick and top prospect we gave up could have helped us for many more years instead. As much as we all want the playoffs here, you still have to think about the big picture.

Old
08-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
yah possibly for the next couple of years.. but it won't be far into the playoffs. Then after a couple of first round exits, Thornton is all of a sudden 37 years old and really starting to show his age, while we all gripe at how much the 2015 first round pick and top prospect we gave up could have helped us for many more years instead. As much as we all want the playoffs here, you still have to think about the big picture.
Im really torn on the 2015 1st. I think if we get Jumbo, he pushes out team into the playoffs, so the pick is 15-25 anyway. Once we are in the playoffs, Hall and Eberle can step up.

The way thorton plays too, I can see him being effective till 40. He is an incredibly smart player. The post season stuff is overrated. Dude has 100 pts in 132 games, still good. Last playoffs the team sucked, especially the goalie, so not all on him

Plus, would be a great mentor for LD. Would allow LD to play in junior/Europe, or play sheltered minutes. Plus they play a similiar style, so he could learn a ton just watching

Sick of missing the playoffs year after year tho

Old
08-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Ovechking

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I have no doubt that Hall could carry this team to the SCF.

Old
08-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
I have no doubt that Hall could carry this team to the SCF.
It doesn't matter how many goals Hall scores or sets up if our defense gives up more. They need better defensemen before we can even think about being a contender.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
08-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Da McBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Im really torn on the 2015 1st. I think if we get Jumbo, he pushes out team into the playoffs, so the pick is 15-25 anyway. Once we are in the playoffs, Hall and Eberle can step up.

The way thorton plays too, I can see him being effective till 40. He is an incredibly smart player. The post season stuff is overrated. Dude has 100 pts in 132 games, still good. Last playoffs the team sucked, especially the goalie, so not all on him

Plus, would be a great mentor for LD. Would allow LD to play in junior/Europe, or play sheltered minutes. Plus they play a similiar style, so he could learn a ton just watching

Sick of missing the playoffs year after year tho
I'm not expecting Hall, Eberle and company to step it up too much the first year or two when the Oilers finally make the playoffs. Past history has shown that many upcoming clubs struggle in the playoffs when they first make it. If they do make it, it'll probably be a short playoff run.

I feel your pain, I'm sick as hell of missing the playoffs. But I'm still patient enough to let this rebuild run its course without making any drastic moves like giving up a potential high first round pick next year for a 35 yr old Thornton. Those type of moves, like trading a 1st, are done when the Oilers are a true contender and you add a player at the trade deadline to put the team over the hump. But you don't trade away your top pick and prospect when your team has been a bottom 5 team for years, especially in a stacked 2015 draft year.

Old
08-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Ovechking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
It doesn't matter how many goals Hall scores or sets up if our defense gives up more. They need better defensemen before we can even think about being a contender.
Goalies have been known to step up and dominate in the playoffs. Hell, Roli carried us in '06-'07. After watching Scrivens' performance against the Sharks last year, you can't seriously tell me he's incapable of carrying us along with Hall to the SCF?

Old
08-20-2014, 09:38 PM
gqmixmaster

thornton would be great on the Oilers because Hall runs the ship and Thornton could succeed in his shadow

Old
08-20-2014, 10:01 PM
MisterD

Quote:
Well seeing as that's about what he returned when he was dealt at 26, I think you're wrong
That type if trade is the exception not the norm.

Old
08-20-2014, 10:11 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Goalies have been known to step up and dominate in the playoffs. Hell, Roli carried us in '06-'07. After watching Scrivens' performance against the Sharks last year, you can't seriously tell me he's incapable of carrying us along with Hall to the SCF?
That team had one of the all time best defensemen... we don't

Old
08-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Ovechking

Quote:
That team had one of the all time best defensemen... we don't
Yeah, true enough. It's not like this would be Thornton's only year in Edmonton if we traded for him. Next year as well, and then Nurse would likely be on the team. He could be an incredible NHL defenseman.

Old
08-20-2014, 10:18 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

If were trading the 1st I'd rather go after Seabrook out of Chicago. I think he'd make more of an impact then Thornton going forward over the next 5 years and may be willing to waive his limited NTC to come here.

Closed Thread