HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2014, 04:42 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Yunno what'd be nice to see? MacT negotiating trades from a position of weakness.

Why would he publicly panic or even state that he isn't fine starting the year without another center? Not only does that show lack of faith in his players but it might drive up prices.
Show me where I said he needed to negotiate a trade from weakness. What I said was there have been more than a few stop gap centers that have signed for cheap in the last few weeks. He should have been in on them. Mactavish threw big money at wingers when we already have an abundance of those and then quietly faded into the back ground again without doing anything at all about a position we are seriously hurting in.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
THIS! Keep your ears open MacT but no need to panic. I still feel the Oilers are in a better position to open this season compared to last season. If a C is available then move on it but don't rush into a bad deal.

Here's a look at STL right now:

Center: Stastny, Backes, Berglund, Ott, Mueller, Lapierre, Lehtera, Lindstrom

RW: Oshie, Tarasenko, Reaves, Jaskin

LW: Steen, Schwartz (RFA), Pajaarvi, Porter

What depth and competition there. Maybe they're not going to move anyone now but during training camp I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those names at C move.
So you're completely convinced Mactavish will make a deal to get an NHL quality center before the regular season starts? Wasn't this what everybody thought last year too? How will you feel about him if he doesn't?

Old
07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Yep. I know we don't want to lose a trade, but standing by idle isn't going to help either.

Eventually we need to be the Dallas or CBJ or LA and make those big deals.

LA had no issues unloading Simmonds, O'Sullivan, Schenn, Johnson, Bernier over the years yet here the Oilers stand and all we unload are guys that really have no value. Outside of PRV who has this team dealt that had some value around the league?
Its interesting that MacT's best deal (and arguably the best trade in what... maybe 8 years for the Oilers) was the deal where they gave up a possible decent young asset... PRV for another decent asset... Perron.

I agree... gotta give to get. Oilers do have a habit of hanging on until the lemon is squeezed out entirely for everyone to plainly see... Hemsky, Gagner as examples.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Its interesting that MacT's best deal (and arguably the best trade in what... maybe 8 years for the Oilers) was the deal where they gave up a possible decent young asset... PRV for another decent asset... Perron.

I agree... gotta give to get. Oilers do have a habit of hanging on until the lemon is squeezed out entirely for everyone to plainly see... Hemsky, Gagner as examples.
Imagine if we would have traded Hemsky in or after 2008 for example for an upcoming defenseman. Goligoski and Erik Johnson for example are guys that got traded in that timeframe. It wouldn't solve all our problems but having a Goligoski or Johnson over lets say a Belov or Fraser would have upgraded our defense from Dumpster Fire to maybe below average.

Old
07-29-2014, 05:12 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Show me where I said he needed to negotiate a trade from weakness. What I said was there have been more than a few stop gap centers that have signed for cheap in the last few weeks. He should have been in on them. Mactavish threw big money at wingers when we already have an abundance of those and then quietly faded into the back ground again without doing anything at all about a position we are seriously hurting in.
You said that you'd like to see a little panic from MacT, that'd be putting himself in a position of weakness.

Old
07-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
It'd be nice to see a little panic from Mactavish.
why? He's not an hfboards fanboy running around yelling that the sky is falling.

Old
07-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Show me where I said he needed to negotiate a trade from weakness. What I said was there have been more than a few stop gap centers that have signed for cheap in the last few weeks. He should have been in on them.
How do you know that he wasn't? They are UFA's - they choose which team they wish to sign for. Rumors are that MacT was in on some of the centre UFAs. They just chose to go a different route.

Quote:
Mactavish threw big money at wingers when we already have an abundance of those and then quietly faded into the back ground again without doing anything at all about a position we are seriously hurting in.
An Abundance? of 3rd line sizeable veteran wingers? Really? Do you include the one eyed Ryan Jones, or the high scoring and defensive giant Joensuu in that mix?

Old
07-29-2014, 06:50 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhotter View Post
Nash redundant??? 6 foot 4 power forward... redundant?????:snakehead

For the purpose of this trade, let's assume Staal does resign.
Do you really think he wants to go from a cup finalist team to a bottom feeder? The only thing I would assume if he got traded to Edmonton is that he would ask for a trade ASAP, and preferably to Carolina.

As for Nash, no thanks, he is clearly on the downside of his career, and he may be a big body, but he sure doesn't play like he's 6'4".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
My mistake... apologies to all.

Still... why would the Oilers be in the market for a VERY high priced Rick Nash? Oilers have 3 players that scored as many goals as he did last year... he would be the definition of overpaid and redundant... and trading Eberle for him would be breaking up the BFF duo of Hall/Eberle just to replace Eberle with someone that's arguably on the downside of his career and who will very likely underperform Eberle over the next 3-5 years.

A proven D like Marc Staal for a prospect like Klefbom... sure... but as others have said... Staal wouldn't stick around so you are losing him in a year as well.

So in the end it would be 1 year of MStaal + a very overpaid and overrated Rick Nash for Eberle+Klefbom.

Pass on that trade.
Oh I agree, its a bad trade proposal, I was just posting to clarify which Nash and Staal I thought he was referring to. But as for the whole BFF duo goes, when one of them finally has had enough of the losing and inevitably asks for a trade, they have to know that they wont be playing on the same team ever again, and as much as I wouldn't want to see them split up, I have a feeling it will be inevitable eventually, just because of all the losing (which doesn't look like it will be any different this year, considering all it takes is Nuge to get injured and McD will be the new kid joining the team next year). Hell, even with Nuge, we're in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
I'm telling you right now, if we don't have a center by november, this season is a write off and we will be heading to the podium at either 1, 2 or 3 to select again.

I can't believe some of you think arco and neon leon are going to patch things up. The fact that Leon is even considered making this team is asinine. He should be in junior next year.

This is a disaster waiting to happen, and disasters have happened with this franchise in the past 5 years
Couldn't agree more, even though MacT has improved the team overall, without NHL centre depth, we are pretty much drafting top 2 or 3 again next year, only team I can see close to us is Buffalo.

Last edited by TimeForAnOilChange: 07-29-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old
07-29-2014, 07:12 PM
hallhopkinseberle

5 year 20.25mil for schultz is incoming.

Old
07-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
why? He's not an hfboards fanboy running around yelling that the sky is falling.
but that's how all NHL gms operate their team though.

Old
07-29-2014, 07:34 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

I'm also getting worried about our centre depth. However, MacT isn't Tambellini. If we go into the season without a second line centre, I doubt it's from a lack of trying. I'm willing to bet MacT will be working the phones once the summer starts to wind down, and GM's are returning from their holidays. As for UFA's, Rishaug said the Oil were interested in Ribiero, doesn't sound to me like they are done for the summer.

Old
07-29-2014, 08:50 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallhopkinseberle View Post
5 year 20.25mil for schultz is incoming.
What makes you say this out of the blue?

Old
07-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
What makes you say this out of the blue?
Since Gardiner is a comparable I suppose.

MacT's inability to get a deal done with Holmgren at last year's draft makes me skeptical that the two will be able to work together well enough to finalize a deal involving B. Schenn/S. Couturier. However, those two players might be two of our best options at filling our 2C hole next year.

Old
07-29-2014, 09:07 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post

MacT's inability to get a deal done with Holmgren at last year's draft makes me skeptical that the two will be able to work together well enough to finalize a deal involving B. Schenn/S. Couturier. However, those two players might be two of our best options at filling our 2C hole next year.
You know Homer got fired right? Hextall is now in charge. And for the record Homer has long had the reputation of being a difficult GM because he is more focussed on making sure the players he trades away cant mke him look bad. In other words instead of being a GM that focusses on making his team better, Homer was a GM that simply couldnt handle the thought of making a trade where the player dealt did well for the other team.

As for MacT, everything i have heard is that he is annoyingly involved in everything. I trust that he gets into the game when a asset we want is involved. That being said...this is Edmonton. Check the illadvised players poll to see if we are a desirable city to play and live in. Being last is not limited to standings, when it comes to Edmonton.

Old
07-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post

Couturier might be, but I don't get the sense the Flyers are going to do that now.

Old
07-29-2014, 09:23 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
You know Homer got fired right? Hextall is now in charge. And for the record Homer has long had the reputation of being a difficult GM because he is more focussed on making sure the players he trades away cant mke him look bad. In other words instead of being a GM that focusses on making his team better, Homer was a GM that simply couldnt handle the thought of making a trade where the player dealt did well for the other team.
Yup, he got fired much the same way Kevin Lowe gets "fired" all the time, by being promoted to President.

Old
07-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post

As for MacT, everything i have heard is that he is annoyingly involved in everything. I trust that he gets into the game when a asset we want is involved. That being said...this is Edmonton. Check the illadvised players poll to see if we are a desirable city to play and live in. Being last is not limited to standings, when it comes to Edmonton.
You know, I should probably pay closer attention to the league.

I don't need to be reminded of the difficulties of getting players to play in Edmonton. Not like Pouliot and Fayne wanted to come here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Couturier might be, but I don't get the sense the Flyers are going to do that now.
Agreed. But Schenn is a good 1 yr stop gap is he not?

Old
07-29-2014, 10:45 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
How do you know that he wasn't? They are UFA's - they choose which team they wish to sign for. Rumors are that MacT was in on some of the centre UFAs. They just chose to go a different route.

An Abundance? of 3rd line sizeable veteran wingers? Really? Do you include the one eyed Ryan Jones, or the high scoring and defensive giant Joensuu in that mix?
Compared to center, yes we have an over abundance of wingers. You don't agree with that? We have two proven NHL centers in the entire organization. What happens if one of them gets hurt? Maybe Mactavish was in on a center in the last few weeks. We have no way of knowing for sure if he was or wasn't. In the interviews he gave after the first few days of free agency he sounded like he wasn't in much of a hurry to acquire another center and he down played his expectations for the team this year. That's why I think he's comfortable with going with what he has. Again... I'm not calling for him to make a trade. I'd just like to see him get someone in here to give us some depth so we aren't one injury away from scuttling yet another season.

Old
07-29-2014, 10:55 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
You said that you'd like to see a little panic from MacT, that'd be putting himself in a position of weakness.
Maybe panic was a poor choice of a word. I'd like to see some urgency. Signing a free agent center near the money that's been given out in short term deals the last couple of weeks isn't a sign of weakness. Waiting to do something until November when you've fallen to the bottom of the standings would put him into a position of weakness though wouldn't it? That is unless he's already prepared to sacrifice another season. Which is kind of how Tambellini ran things. That's why I made the comparison earlier in the thread. I know a lot of you guys are convinced he will be able to get something done before the start of the season but what if he doesn't? We all assumed he'd do something last year and he didn't.

Old
07-29-2014, 10:56 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I'm also getting worried about our centre depth. However, MacT isn't Tambellini. If we go into the season without a second line centre, I doubt it's from a lack of trying. I'm willing to bet MacT will be working the phones once the summer starts to wind down, and GM's are returning from their holidays. As for UFA's, Rishaug said the Oil were interested in Ribiero, doesn't sound to me like they are done for the summer.
I hope you're right, I'm not as convinced as you though.

Old
07-30-2014, 01:12 AM
SupremeTeam16
5-14-6-1

Still think Berglund is our ideal outcome at this point. Checks alot of boxes and could very possibly be available. If I'm Mac-T I'm greasing Armstrongs wheels and letting him know that if he decides Berglund has to be moved the Oilers would put together a fair package that still wouldn't open up a hole for us. (2016 2nd + 2015 3rd + D. Simpson)

Other then that Sutter and Eller are other potential targets who could fill the spot as a stop gap and who might be had for a reasonable price.

Hall RNH Ebs
Perron Berglund Yak
Pouliot Lander Purcell
Hendricks Gordon Arco

Pretty versatile line up with good depth throughout. Draisaitl would get the 9 game look but unless he is exceptional in those games he would return to juniors and Lander/Arco battle it out for 3C.

Old
07-30-2014, 03:15 AM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
I hope you're right, I'm not as convinced as you though.
I'm confident that they will try to fix the hole at centre, I just don't know if they'll be successful. It's tempting as a fan to call them down for inactivity when we don't get to see what's going on behind the scenes.

Old
07-30-2014, 03:26 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I'm confident that they will try to fix the hole at centre, I just don't know if they'll be successful. It's tempting as a fan to call them down for inactivity when we don't get to see what's going on behind the scenes.
I have no doubt MacT is trying and will continue to try. I just don't think that matters in the slightest. What matters is if he fills the spot or not. If he doesn't, it means he didn't do his job well enough. No matter how hard he tried to do it.

Old
07-30-2014, 10:29 AM
BowDangles

I thought I remember hearing Hitchcock saying that he wants to see what Berglund can do on the wing this year and thinks that he is better suited for the wing...

I don't think St. Louis is looking at their centre situation as a problem they have to fix, I think they are looking at it like a blessing. Most centres, if not all, have a super easy transition to the wing.

St.Louis' asking price is probably too high for Berglund, at free agency it was a 1st round pick or a 2nd with a high prospect.

Are you willing to give up say Klefbom/Marcinin + 2nd?

I don't think I do that deal if I am Edmonton..

Old
07-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I have no doubt MacT is trying and will continue to try. I just don't think that matters in the slightest. What matters is if he fills the spot or not. If he doesn't, it means he didn't do his job well enough. No matter how hard he tried to do it.
So if he were to trade Hall for Brayden Schenn, you'd be happy with that? After all, he's filled the spot, which is all that you say matters.

Closed Thread