HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Cam Talbot...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-28-2014, 10:13 PM
  #1
zuckera1
#35
 
zuckera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
What to do with Cam Talbot...

Cam Talbot was a big reason why our team stayed afloat last year during the first half of the season. While Hank struggled and the offense sputtered, Talbot played very well, posting 12 wins with a 0.941 save percentage and an outstanding 1.64 GAA.

We can all argue about whether or not Talbot is or will ever be a #1 starter at the NHL level, but at worst I'm sure we all agree that he's a capable backup who's on a bargain contract for next season at $550k.

My question is what do we do with him? With all our guys needing to be resigned next year, Talbot will likely walk as a UFA if he plays as well or even slightly worse than he did last year. Do we keep him for the entire season to have a strong backup and give Hank enough rest, or do we add him in a deadline trade package for an upgrade at C? A Staal + Talbot package would net a solid return.

Thoughts?

zuckera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 10:34 PM
  #2
Nyrvana
Registered User
 
Nyrvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckera1 View Post
Cam Talbot was a big reason why our team stayed afloat last year during the first half of the season. While Hank struggled and the offense sputtered, Talbot played very well, posting 12 wins with a 0.941 save percentage and an outstanding 1.64 GAA.

We can all argue about whether or not Talbot is or will ever be a #1 starter at the NHL level, but at worst I'm sure we all agree that he's a capable backup who's on a bargain contract for next season at $550k.

My question is what do we do with him? With all our guys needing to be resigned next year, Talbot will likely walk as a UFA if he plays as well or even slightly worse than he did last year. Do we keep him for the entire season to have a strong backup and give Hank enough rest, or do we add him in a deadline trade package for an upgrade at C? A Staal + Talbot package would net a solid return.

Thoughts?
If he produces like he did last year, he'll get his money as a good backup. We probably let him walk, because we may not be able to afford him. Also, his trade value as a backup would not be very high.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 10:45 PM
  #3
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,966
vCash: 500
No way he's getting traded. I think if he plays like he did again last year, he'll probably leave through free agency for a better opportunity. I'm sure some team will take a flier on him and give him a chance at a starting job. I don't see him being traded because I just don't think a backup goalie who has only shown he could play in a limited role thus far has much value trade wise. Goalies in general don't seem to have much value trade wise. You just keep him through the year and try to re-sign him. If he leaves for the better of his career then it is what it is.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=53946&type=sigpic&dateline=1320361610
NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 12:34 AM
  #4
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,601
vCash: 500
A couple of extra wins--while giving Lundqvist some time off before the playoffs--after the trade deadline can mean the difference between finishing 2nd (or perhaps even 1st if Pittsburgh falters) in the division (and having home ice for the first round) or ending up as the wild card.

Talbot is worth more to the team if he stays the full year--even if he walks as a UFA next July. Unless of course, something happens and the team is not in the playoff picture at all...doubtful.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 01:22 AM
  #5
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,538
vCash: 500
Guys he's a back up goalie. There are tons of guys like him. He had a good yr and if he does again he will sign as a backup again likely in ny still

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 01:33 AM
  #6
Realize
Registered User
 
Realize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany / Aachen
Country: Germany
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Guys he's a back up goalie. There are tons of guys like him. He had a good yr and if he does again he will sign as a backup again likely in ny still
This.

I really like this guy, hopefully he will stay as backup

Realize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 01:44 AM
  #7
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Guys he's a back up goalie. There are tons of guys like him. He had a good yr and if he does again he will sign as a backup again likely in ny still

Based on my watching him in Hartford, I believe T-Bone can be a starter. Wouldn't guarantee it, but if he takes one more step forward under Allaire, he will be a starter.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 02:45 AM
  #8
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 500
Talbot played wonderful last year, but the Rangers are currently allocating over 9+ million for goaltending. Next closest is Nashville at 7.75 - ignoring Vancouver's situation (Luongo's 800k of dead money) and Carolina (as they would most likely love to move Ward if given the opportunity).

While I hope the Rangers are able to add more players under RFA control in the next year or so (it is the last year of Nash's NMC), it appears the Rangers new MO is cheap backups and short-term inexpensive veteran contracts (Moore, Lombardi, Stempniak) to backfill the roster.

There's no worthwhile market in moving Talbot, and the combination of his salary and play will keep him in NYC until he hits free agency. Allaire and Co. will be on the watch for another well framed goalie to play big and efficient, from Chad Johnson to Cam Talbot.

Talbot's upside looks to be a #1b, and if his play continues, his next opportunity would be a platooning like a Scrivens/Fasth or slide into a starting role through injury like a Khudobin.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 03:22 AM
  #9
Deric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Guys he's a back up goalie. There are tons of guys like him. He had a good yr and if he does again he will sign as a backup again likely in ny still
Big time disagree. We all realize nobody is gonna give him multi years and multi millions to start, BUT if he plays half as well as he did last year he will double his salary easy and with the Rangers paying Lundqvist so much, they are going to need a dirt cheap backup.

Only way he comes back is if Lundqvist gets seriously injured.

Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 06:07 AM
  #10
Stepan Glass
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Stepan Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Based on my watching him in Hartford, I believe T-Bone can be a starter. Wouldn't guarantee it, but if he takes one more step forward under Allaire, he will be a starter.


Just in reference to the incorrect nickname - I also think he can become a starter

Stepan Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 06:42 AM
  #11
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
What to do with him? He's the backup with 1 great year of being a backup. That's where he'll be.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 07:02 AM
  #12
zuckera1
#35
 
zuckera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
His numbers last year were unbelievable for a goalie, granted it was only around 20 games so the sample isn't big but it's also not like it was only 8 games.

Labeling him as only a backup is a mistake IMO. My point is that he could be used as a sweetener in a deadline trade for a big upgrade that we may need.

zuckera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 07:06 AM
  #13
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,274
vCash: 500
Most teams around the league have at least one very good goaltender--so I don't think that he automatically becomes a starter if he signs elsewhere. The best opportunities will be with the weakest teams if they have openings and he'll probably play more than he has here going to a decent team. But a team isn't decent unless they already have pretty good goaltending.

Anyway it's one of the reasons why the Rangers needed more goaltenders in their system. We have one of the best goaltending coaches in the world in any case and should make use of him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 07:09 AM
  #14
KOVALEV022473
Registered User
 
KOVALEV022473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Stony Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Guys he's a back up goalie. There are tons of guys like him. He had a good yr and if he does again he will sign as a backup again likely in ny still
Most goalies begin their NHL careers as backups. Lundqvist and Broduer started as back-ups!

KOVALEV022473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 07:30 AM
  #15
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckera1 View Post
His numbers last year were unbelievable for a goalie, granted it was only around 20 games so the sample isn't big but it's also not like it was only 8 games.

Labeling him as only a backup is a mistake IMO. My point is that he could be used as a sweetener in a deadline trade for a big upgrade that we may need.
He's a UFA. Any team that would need a goalie isn't going to want him without an extension.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 07:38 AM
  #16
zuckera1
#35
 
zuckera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truenewyorker View Post
He's a UFA. Any team that would need a goalie isn't going to want him without an extension.
Right, but maybe a team without stable goaltending, like Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa etc. with cap space would give Talbot a nice extension and a shot at the #1 job. Acquiring him before UFA gives them his rights to negotiate before all other teams.

I'm not saying he's the main piece in a big deal, but if he's included as a ++, it could be the part that makes the deal happen. Not sure what the deal would be but it's pure speculation on my part.

zuckera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 08:08 AM
  #17
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckera1 View Post
Right, but maybe a team without stable goaltending, like Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa etc. with cap space would give Talbot a nice extension and a shot at the #1 job. Acquiring him before UFA gives them his rights to negotiate before all other teams.

I'm not saying he's the main piece in a big deal, but if he's included as a ++, it could be the part that makes the deal happen. Not sure what the deal would be but it's pure speculation on my part.
He's useless to those teams at the deadline without an extension. Too big of a risk for them. Then who is backing up Henrik? Yeah he'll probably play a majority of the games leading up to the playoffs but you still need someone you can trust back there. Biron in 12 and Talbot in 14. I'm just saying it's not as easy to say "throw him in a deadline deal to a bottom feeder." Also, of those teams you mentioned Calgary just signed Hiller, Ottawa still has Anderson and Lehner and Edmonton, the most likely choice, just signed Scrivens to an extension. Scrivens played well for them. The goalie market is not so easy.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 08:17 AM
  #18
zuckera1
#35
 
zuckera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truenewyorker View Post
He's useless to those teams at the deadline without an extension. Too big of a risk for them. Then who is backing up Henrik? Yeah he'll probably play a majority of the games leading up to the playoffs but you still need someone you can trust back there. Biron in 12 and Talbot in 14. I'm just saying it's not as easy to say "throw him in a deadline deal to a bottom feeder." Also, of those teams you mentioned Calgary just signed Hiller, Ottawa still has Anderson and Lehner and Edmonton, the most likely choice, just signed Scrivens to an extension. Scrivens played well for them. The goalie market is not so easy.
Good points. I think Ottawa would be the best fit as I doubt they view Anderson or Lehner as the long term option (both were mediocre last year).

zuckera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 09:25 AM
  #19
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
Talbot played really solid though lets let him get a full season under his belt before touting him as anything more than a good backup. Truth is, goalies are plentiful in the NHL right now and with guys like Mrazek, Kuemper, Gibson, Allen, and Campbell pushing into the league, next year will be no different.

There's lots of supply right now and more experienced goalies looking for jobs creating little risk of NYR loosing Talbot. Even if they were, guys like Gustavsson will be available and I'd be 100% ok with someone like that backing up Henke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenewyorker View Post
He's useless to those teams at the deadline without an extension. Too big of a risk for them. Then who is backing up Henrik? Yeah he'll probably play a majority of the games leading up to the playoffs but you still need someone you can trust back there. Biron in 12 and Talbot in 14. I'm just saying it's not as easy to say "throw him in a deadline deal to a bottom feeder." Also, of those teams you mentioned Calgary just signed Hiller, Ottawa still has Anderson and Lehner and Edmonton, the most likely choice, just signed Scrivens to an extension. Scrivens played well for them. The goalie market is not so easy.
Edmonton has Scrivens and Fasth, both quite capable goalies. The entire league including teams who had goalie trouble last year boil down into two categories. First are those who have clearly established #1s (Islanders, Calgary, etc.) or those with two solid young goalies (TML, Buffalo, Edmonton, etc.) IMO, only Winnipeg could possibly use improvement in goal. Outside them, the league is pretty set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckera1 View Post
Good points. I think Ottawa would be the best fit as I doubt they view Anderson or Lehner as the long term option (both were mediocre last year).
Both are solid goalies and Lehner will continue to improve. The first quarter of the Rangers season proved that even a good goalie can look really bad when a team is playing poorly in front of them. Ottawa also has Driedger in the system so I really can't see them in the market for a goalie at all. After all they did trade Big Ben because there was such a log jam in at the position for their organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckera1 View Post
His numbers last year were unbelievable for a goalie, granted it was only around 20 games so the sample isn't big but it's also not like it was only 8 games.

Labeling him as only a backup is a mistake IMO. My point is that he could be used as a sweetener in a deadline trade for a big upgrade that we may need.
It's not uncommon for a goalie to start off hot in the league. Give teams time to establish scouting at the NHL level and things often change for them. A part of a season is a terrible sample size for any player, especially a goalie.


Last edited by vipernsx: 07-29-2014 at 09:38 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 09:28 AM
  #20
Gardner McKay
Moderator
What a time
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Porch of Indecision.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,437
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Talbot played really solid though lets let him get a full season under his belt before touting him as anything more than a good backup. Truth is, goalies are plentiful in the NHL right now and with guys like Mrazek, Kuemper, Gibson, Allen, and Campbell pushing into the league, next year will be no different.

There's lots of supply right now and more experienced goalies looking for jobs creating little risk of NYR loosing Talbot. Even if they were, guys like Gustavsson will be available and I'd be 100% ok with someone like that backing up Henke.
Agreed. If Talbot posts similar numbers to last year I think he looks for a potential starting/split job somewhere in the NHL.

__________________
--But after the long calm, there are now beginnings of a stir. The reunion at hand may joy, it may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings. For they are coming back. At last, the promise has been made. --
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 10:16 AM
  #21
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV022473 View Post
Most goalies begin their NHL careers as backups. Lundqvist and Broduer started as back-ups!
Talbot is 27. Yea goalies take longer sometimes but I am going to bet the guy will be thrilled to get a multi yr deal as a backup to Hank.

Teams have goalies like Talbot. I've noticed backups taking 1 million just to stay in the league.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 10:59 AM
  #22
Gardner McKay
Moderator
What a time
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Porch of Indecision.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,437
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Talbot is 27. Yea goalies take longer sometimes but I am going to bet the guy will be thrilled to get a multi yr deal as a backup to Hank.

Teams have goalies like Talbot. I've noticed backups taking 1 million just to stay in the league.
What about Tim Thomas? Viktor Fasth didn't come to the NHL until he was 29. He played well with Anaheim and could be the starting goaltender for EDM next year. He is making 3.4 million next year. Talbot may stay as the back up for the Rangers but I almost guarantee you he is going to look for a starting job or a split job (like STL had with Elliot/Halak) where he can make upwards of 2.5 million before re-signing with the Rangers. Talbot very well could land one of those jobs.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 12:22 PM
  #23
zuckera1
#35
 
zuckera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
What about Tim Thomas? Viktor Fasth didn't come to the NHL until he was 29. He played well with Anaheim and could be the starting goaltender for EDM next year. He is making 3.4 million next year. Talbot may stay as the back up for the Rangers but I almost guarantee you he is going to look for a starting job or a split job (like STL had with Elliot/Halak) where he can make upwards of 2.5 million before re-signing with the Rangers. Talbot very well could land one of those jobs.
Well said. Some guys are simply late bloomers. MSL, for example, wasn't an elite player until he was almost 30. Not saying Talbot will be as talented but I believe he has the potential to be an NHL starter.

zuckera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 01:42 PM
  #24
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,141
vCash: 364
Gotta trade him at the deadline, there's no way the Rangers can afford him with Hank on the throne

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 02:18 PM
  #25
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Gotta trade him at the deadline, there's no way the Rangers can afford him with Hank on the throne
???

He's a UFA. Need to understand that.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.