HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Gord Kluzak

Old
07-28-2014, 01:24 AM
crobro

vCash: 500
Gord Kluzak

He caused a stir when chosen by the bruins at 1st overall.

How good was he ?

I remember a stretch after he rehabbed some serious surgeries and he was absolutely a beast.

If he didn't keep blowing out his knees how could could he have been ?

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 02:02 AM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
He caused a stir when chosen by the bruins at 1st overall.

How good was he ?

I remember a stretch after he rehabbed some serious surgeries and he was absolutely a beast.

If he didn't keep blowing out his knees how could could he have been ?
I think he could have been at least as good as Derian Hatcher, maybe even Rob Blake. Boston took him with the first pick in a year when Brian Bellows got ridiculous pre-draft hype. If not for the injuries the pick would have been justified.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 02:15 AM
Mortgage Broker

As far as I remember he was the highest rated player. The Bruins chose the guy they were supposed to.

Sometimes it just doesnt pan out.

Mortgage Broker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 04:55 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage Broker View Post
As far as I remember he was the highest rated player. The Bruins chose the guy they were supposed to.

Sometimes it just doesnt pan out.
Bellows was quite easily the highest-rated player for that draft and Kluzak was a huge surprise at #1 overall, perhaps the most surprising #1 overall pick of all time.

That said, he could have been great had his knees held up - some sort of Pronger/Hatcher hybrid. Would have been a 50+ point 6'4" defender with a mean streak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood
I think he could have been at least as good as Derian Hatcher, maybe even Rob Blake. Boston took him with the first pick in a year when Brian Bellows got ridiculous pre-draft hype. If not for the injuries the pick would have been justified.
Kluzak had a lot more offensive potential than Hatcher. Even with knees held together by duct tape and despite missing years of crucial development time, he was still scoring at a 45-ish point pace when healthy.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 05:14 AM
skeena1

According to hockeydraftcentral.com, the Hockey News ratings going into the draft were:

1 Bellows
2 Nylund
3 Kluzak
4 Yaremchuk
5 Scott Stevens
6 Paul Cyr
7 Rich Sutter
8 Jim Kyte
9 Ron Sutter
10 Phil Housley
11 R. Trottier
12 Michel Petit

skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 08:28 AM
IComeInPeace

Weren't the Bruins compensated by the Stars for passing on Bellows?

I recall the B's wanted Kluzak anyways, but also managed to receive some type of compensation.

Kluzak may have had the chance to be the best player in the draft. Great size, a great fighter (which mattered a lot more back then, great wheels for a big man...I think he was starting to figure things out, but injuries really derailed his career.

In hindsight, he seemed to have a lot more potential than Nylund did.

It's odd how Nylund and Kluzak went a couple picks a part and were so similar in so many ways. Two big d-men, good skill, willingness (and ability) to play physical, good skaters, the knee problems...

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 08:34 AM
IComeInPeace

Kluzak is ranked #3, but he was already having knee issues in his final junior season.

There were reportedly significant concerns about his knee already; I wonder how much that played a factor in the draft rankings at the time???

Old
07-28-2014, 08:43 AM
IComeInPeace

The Bruins received Brad Palmer from the Stars in return for passing on Bellows.

Not a lot to give up in hindsight, although at the time I'm sure it wasn't looked at that way.
Brad Palmer had a huge shot. The curve on his stick resembled a boomerang.

Old
07-28-2014, 04:51 PM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
According to hockeydraftcentral.com, the Hockey News ratings going into the draft were:

1 Bellows
2 Nylund
3 Kluzak
4 Yaremchuk
5 Scott Stevens
6 Paul Cyr
7 Rich Sutter
8 Jim Kyte
9 Ron Sutter
10 Phil Housley
11 R. Trottier
12 Michel Petit
Is that a simple typo, or was Rich really ranked higher than Ron Sutter. I seem to recall Ron clearly being the more skilled of the twins from the get go.

Some pretty good names on that list. Rocky Trottier being a big exception.

Rocky missed most of his draft year with a bad knee; He was selected by Devils Director of Player Personnel, Bert Marshall.
Marshall later admitted to never having seen the kid play a single game.

At least some of Rocky's problems seemed to stem from his knee injury.

That's kind of something we take for granted nowadays.

That's Kluzak, Nylund and Trottier, at the very least, who had their careers affected to varying degrees, by knee injuries.

How about Paul Cyr? He had a great start to his career, and after a 51 point season as a guy just hitting his prime, he was done.

Old
07-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
The Bruins received Brad Palmer from the Stars in return for passing on Bellows.

Not a lot to give up in hindsight, although at the time I'm sure it wasn't looked at that way.
Brad Palmer had a huge shot. The curve on his stick resembled a boomerang.
Bruins also received Dave Donnelly in the deal for the pride of Climax, Sask.

Consider Kluzak was only 23 in his final healthy season. He only played 13 games in parts of 3 different seasons after that. Another 12 years or so playing with Bourque, he may have been a HOFer if not for the knees.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 06:39 PM
skeena1

Quote:
Is that a simple typo, or was Rich really ranked higher than Ron Sutter. I seem to recall Ron clearly being the more skilled of the twins from the get go.

Some pretty good names on that list. Rocky Trottier being a big exception.

Rocky missed most of his draft year with a bad knee; He was selected by Devils Director of Player Personnel, Bert Marshall.
Marshall later admitted to never having seen the kid play a single game.

At least some of Rocky's problems seemed to stem from his knee injury.

That's kind of something we take for granted nowadays.

That's Kluzak, Nylund and Trottier, at the very least, who had their careers affected to varying degrees, by knee injuries.

How about Paul Cyr? He had a great start to his career, and after a 51 point season as a guy just hitting his prime, he was done.
Yes it is a typo. My bad. Turns out Dave Andreychuk was ranked #7 overall. Ron was ranked as #6 WHL prospect and #9 in the NHL. Here is the link to Ron.
http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1982/82004.html
And to Rich. They only supplied Rich's WHL ranking,#7, not his overall ranking.
http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1982/82010.html

Last edited by skeena1: 07-28-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Fixed the mess. Thanks IComeInPeace
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 03:58 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post

1 Bellows
2 Nylund
3 Kluzak
4 Yaremchuk
5 Scott Stevens
6 Paul Cyr
7 Rich Sutter
8 Jim Kyte
9 Ron Sutter
10 Phil Housley
11 R. Trottier
12 Michel Petit
big jim kyte. here's a dandy:

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 05:15 PM
MS

Quote:
Cyr was a good two-way player whose career was derailed after he was shot in a robbery while on vacation in the Caribbean in 1987 and then suffered an awful knee injury a year later that forced him to miss two full seasons.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
In hindsight, Bellows could have helped their forward depth tremendously in a time when Ray Bourque was outscoring every forward on the team but they could not have predicted Barry Pederson's ailment so young and drafting Bellows might have discouraged them from picking up another winger(Neely) and focus on getting another center when they still had Nifty playing well.

But in true hindsight, Scott Stevens, who went 5th overall, became what Kluzak was projected to become.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 10:25 AM
brianscot

Kluzak suffered one of his knee injuries here in Portland, Maine in a preseason game that I attended against New Jersey.

He was coming into the Devil's zone, tried to cut diagonally over the blue line when Dave Lewis really nailed him with a semi-low check. Kluzak crumbled immediately and you could tell that he wasn't in good shape.

I haven't heard Kluzak ever talk about that hit or if he thought it was dirty/marginal or not.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 07:00 PM
BobbyAwe

For what it's worth, sounds like Scotty Bowman thought pretty highly of Kluzak...

"Someone had a brainstorm when he put Ray Bourque and Gord Kluzak together. That's the real key to the Bruins. Kluzak is the perfect partner for Bourque. He takes the pressure off Bourque. He can do things without worrying."

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote