HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Subban

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Luckily for Habs, Subban seems to be easy going. Between being bullied into taking a bridge deal and the coach treating him very strangely at times, a lesser man would sour on that organization.

It's for one RFA year. Want to buy UFA years? The cost of those will probably be higher.
Can they not negotiate a long-term contract before arb though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
7-7.5 isn't a "steal"

A steal is mcdonagh under 5 for 5 more years
Stop living in 2009.

~7M for Subban [long term] in this day and age is a steal.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Leto93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
Clearly they are going to reach a deal. Bergevin could have offered a nickel in arbitration. Do you think that PK, after telling anyone who would listen for the last several months that he wants to stay in MTL long term, would say "You know what [agent], the Habs arbitration offer was insultingly low, explore options on other teams."

I have to assume that he and his agent operate in the real world, and not "fake outrage fantasy island".
By no means am I saying that he's going to explore other options. No need to embellish and put words in my mouth. Regardless, one would presume that is not possible given that he is an RFA and would have little choice but to wait for an offer sheet or ask to be moved (not happening).

I'm just saying that after sitting through a bridge contract, proving himself not only on the ice but in the locker room, and already having some hardware to back up his performance, pay the man his dues. This process has been drawn out far too long. It must be unnerving for Habs fans to see O'Reilly come up with a contract before Subban does.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:01 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
they can make a deal before that - which is what they're working on. the Arbritation is just a process for each other side to make their case.
This is how it works according to the rules...
''A decision must be made within 48 hours of the hearing. When the decision is announced, the team has the right to decline, or "walk away" from the award. If the team exercises this right, the player can declare himself an unrestricted free agent.''
Not saying it will happen but it could.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto93 View Post
This process has been drawn out far too long. It must be unnerving for Habs fans to see O'Reilly come up with a contract before Subban does.
As a Habs fan it doesn't bother me at all, personally. It's a tough, expensive, important contract it doesn't surprise me that it's taking time, and I could not possibly care less about O'Reilly's contract status.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy

Lol. Always knew after signing that little bridge PK would demand a small fortune to resign. You guys treated him like a used paper towel, unfortunately he grew up cheering for you guys so he'll resign.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Beesfan

If Subban waits to his UFA year and hits the open market, he will get a long term deal for $9million/year in the drop of a hat. His is a huge impact player, and one of the rare players that is worth every penny of that.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:04 AM
kingdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
As a Habs fan it doesn't bother me at all, personally. It's a tough, expensive, important contract it doesn't surprise me that it's taking time, and I could not possibly care less about O'Reilly's contract status.
Which is absolutely terrible for the Avs anyway.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Good, let him sign somewhere else that will pay huge for him... he deserves it. Marc B is playing with fire here and if I were a Habs fan and Subban doesn't get a huge contract from the Habs soon, Id lose my s#@*
Apparently, a majority of fans on our board think that Bergevin is doing a great job and all.

While I do agree that he made some very good move, the way he handles anything related to Subban is just...

I mean, at first, the whole point of the bridge deal was to let Subban 'prove' himself. Both Bergevin and Therrien said that kind of stuff in a slightly derogatory way.

But then, Subban did exactly that. Change of tone. Bergevin is on record saying Subban would get his payday in due time... Well, I think now would be about right. Just sign him long term and let's be done with that nonsense.

Well no, Subban has to file for arbitration and Bergevin just goes on like nothing happened and offers the least possible amount he can within the CBA. I know it's only arbitration, but come on. We shouldn't even be there in the first place.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
The Habs would take any 1 year deal up to and including 8.5M, and then continue negotiating a longer term deal before Subban hits UFA. Any other scenario is so unlikely as to be pointless to consider.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
At this point I think it is just a slap in face that a longterm deal hasn't been worked out

PK did what Habs wanted and signed bridge deal (Went on to win Norris and establish himself as young face of franchise)

Yet he still cant get a big longterm deal from Habs

Old
07-30-2014, 11:06 AM
PKarey Plekoretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Yes, but the two parties should be $0 apart at this time. The Habs have no leverage. Going to arbitration is a disastrous move for the club. They will have two options next summer (aside from actually giving him a long-term deal): 1) qualify PK or 2) club-elected arbitration.

Both of those options put Subban in a position to hit UFA. You can bet Bergevin has absolutely no intention of allowing that.

MB will cave by tomorrow night. I've never been so confident in a contract prediction. Subban will get his long-term deal and the price will be closer to his numbers than Bergevin's.
Holy hell man did you even read the quote? Those numbers have nothing to do with negotation distances, for all we know they could be extremely close, this is a formality that has to be presented so an arbitrator has a starting point

Last week Eller wanted 3.25 and Habs offered 1.5. A Day later Eller signed 4 years for 3.5 (more than he asked for)

Subban is going to sign before arbitraion hits Friday

Old
07-30-2014, 11:07 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
At this point I think it is just a slap in face that a longterm deal hasn't been worked out

PK did what Habs wanted and signed bridge deal (Went on to win Norris and establish himself as young face of franchise)

No Doubt!
Habs have plenty of capspace too.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:07 AM
PKarey Plekoretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

As a mod it's kind of sad that you'd be this misinformed

Old
07-30-2014, 11:09 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKarey Plekoretty View Post
Holy hell man did you even read the quote? Those numbers have nothing to do with negotation distances, for all we know they could be extremely close, this is a formality that has to be presented so an arbitrator has a starting point

Last week Eller wanted 3.25 and Habs offered 1.5. A Day later Eller signed 4 years for 3.5 (more than he asked for)

Subban is going to sign before arbitraion hits Friday
Yes, and like I said, Bergevin will cave. I believe they are not far apart, but that they are much closer to PK's number than MB's. Like I said, a long term deal will be finalized tomorrow.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKarey Plekoretty View Post
As a mod it's kind of sad that you'd be this misinformed
Essentially 90% of this thread is misinformed to be fair. Going to be hilarious to see people's dreams that he will hit UFA crushed when Subban signs a long-term deal today or tomorrow.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:14 AM
SupremeTeam16

What is Bergevin doing? Why a 1 year so they can do this dance again next off season when PK can go to arb take his 1 year and then hit UFA and really cash in.

Are they expecting him to fall off a cliff next season so they can low ball him on a long term contract? Do the right thing and pay the man. 8x8 and everyone is happy and in the big picture that is a good contract.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:15 AM
PKarey Plekoretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Yes, and like I said, Bergevin will cave. I believe they are not far apart, but that they are much closer to PK's number than MB's. Like I said, a long term deal will be finalized tomorrow.
Agreed 100%

This will play out exactly the same way it did with Eller last week

Old
07-30-2014, 11:17 AM
boltsfan9186

vCash: 304
If I was Subban I would be very upset.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:18 AM
kingdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTeam16 View Post
What is Bergevin doing? Why a 1 year so they can do this dance again next off season when PK can go to arb take his 1 year and then hit UFA and really cash in.

Are they expecting him to fall off a cliff next season so they can low ball him on a long term contract? Do the right thing and pay the man. 8x8 and everyone is happy and in the big picture that is a good contract.
read this, it's like a ''NHL Salary Arbitration for Dummies'': http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/538417

Old
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
It's called negotiation...
If Montreal thinks that seeking $5.25M is a realistic for Subban, Then they're not being realistic at all.

Last edited by Number1RedWingsFan52: 07-30-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTeam16 View Post
You should probably read up on the options IF it goes to arbitration. If they had elected for a 2 year term, Subban becomes a UFA immediately after that contract. That would have been idiotic.

Virtually every single arbitration case has been settled before hand in the 24-36 hours before it was scheduled to happen. Meehan held Doughty, Pietrangelo and Subban out of training camp in recent years, he uses the leverage he has and in this case, it's waiting until the last hours before the hearing.

Old
PKarey Plekoretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Essentially 90% of this thread is misinformed to be fair. Going to be hilarious to see people's dreams that he will hit UFA crushed when Subban signs a long-term deal today or tomorrow.
Fair enough, I expect to see the hilarity of completley not understanding the situation like in post #66 for example (as it stands now unless a few posts get removed and the # changes). But to see it from a mod is kind of weird to me. Maybe I just don't spend enough time on these boards

Old
07-30-2014, 11:19 AM
PKarey Plekoretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
If Montreal thinks that $5.25M is a realistic first offer for Subban, Then thwy're not being realistic at all.
This

is

not

an

offer

Old
07-30-2014, 11:19 AM
TGWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
This is how it works according to the rules...
''A decision must be made within 48 hours of the hearing. When the decision is announced, the team has the right to decline, or "walk away" from the award. If the team exercises this right, the player can declare himself an unrestricted free agent.''
It could happen. I'm confident that he's a Hab this season no matter what he's awarded through arbitration. They're not losing him for nothing.

Old
07-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He will sign a long term deal, that's not really up in the air

He will get paid though and that could have been alleviated had Montreal not insisted on a bridge deal

I guess doing things Montreal's way is hipster talk for bad asset management and paying more than you have to

Closed Thread