HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues for sale (all threads merged here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2005, 10:08 AM
King Blazer

vCash: 500
St. Louis Blues for sale (all threads merged here)

Lauries Want Out: Team, arena lease on block
By Bernie Miklasz
© 2005, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
06/17/2005

[I]Citing heavy financial losses and concern about the future, St. Louis Blues owners Bill and Nancy Laurie have decided to sell the National Hockey League team and its long-term lease on the Savvis Center.

An official announcement will be made this morning.

link: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...7?OpenDocument

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 06-17-2005 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Cannot cut and paste entire articles onto message boards. A few sentences only, per copyright law.
Old
06-17-2005, 12:11 PM
LA Blue

Send a message via AIM to LA Blue
Good discussion about the team going on in the Business of Hockey section.

Matt

Old
06-23-2005, 01:49 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Who are the possible candidates to Buy the Blues

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=147961

mentioning of Mark Cuban may be a pipe dream...but anyone who has opinions on possible names, lets hear them and of course, why...if you have it.

Old
06-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Irish Blues

Bernie in the P-D (insert your own joke here) mentioned a couple of names in his last article...one of which was the former owner of the Minnesota North Stars, and he could move the Blues to Kansas City. (again...insert your own joke here)

I hate speculating on things like this w/o knowing more.

Old
07-01-2005, 10:33 AM
JB*

Send a message via ICQ to JB* Send a message via AIM to JB* Send a message via MSN to JB* Send a message via Yahoo to JB*
Mike Shanahan, Junior - whose father owned the Blues before the Lauries did - has been named by the Post-Dispatch as one to watch. He also owns the River Otters in St. Charles.

Anyone looking to buy the team and move it (even in-state to Kansas City) is going to run into substantial difficulties. By packaging the team and the lease together - which only makes sense for the Lauries - a buyer would have to pay off the bonds attached to the Savvis Center to allow the team to break the lease. There's about $65 million left on the bonds... so the team price just jumps substantially to move them.

Old
07-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Irish Blues

Yes...but the Stars' former owner would do that. Recall that after he moved the team to Dallas, he signed a *really* nice advertising deal for the Stars in Reunion Arena. Unfortunately, he forgot the part in the lease agreement that stated that all advertising revenue in the arena went to the Dallas Mavericks of the NBA.

Way to go, Einstein!

Old
07-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Ri hards

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129742

An online Casion based in trinidad apparently....

Old
07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus_the_Pig_Fetus
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129742

An online Casion based in trinidad apparently....
I saw that on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch site.

My first thought:

Then.....

Old
07-07-2005, 02:51 AM
dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
I saw that on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch site.

My first thought:

Then.....
That guy is going to drink alot of rum and Cokes before someone replies to his offer.

Old
07-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Guy Legend

St. Louis business journal on potential Blues buyers

I posted this article in the business section, but decided to include it here too.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/s...y3.html?page=1

Quote:
Word on the street has Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban interested in buying the St. Louis Blues. He wouldn't comment, but he's the only one. Others whose names are circulating as potential bidders are quick to shoot down the rumors.

Paul Allen: "Does not have any interest in the team at this time."

Lester Miller: "I don't know anything about hockey. I didn't even know they were for sale."

Kim Tucci: "I haven't heard anything. I wouldn't do anything."

Only a couple of potential buyers with legitimate interests have come forward. Minor league hockey owner Mike Shanahan Jr. said he would still consider organizing an ownership group but only if a deal would make financial sense. Los Angeles-based movie producer and former Pittsburgh Penguins owner Harold Baldwin has said he is looking at the team, though most people expect he'd have a tough time relocating the Blues to Kansas City as he's mentioned.

The labor dispute was a major stumbling block to any potential Blues buyer, said Shanahan Jr., an owner of Huntleigh/McGehee Insurance agency. Shanahan also owns the Missouri River Otters, the minor league team that plays at the St. Charles Family Arena.

Shanahan, whose father ran the Blues ownership group in the 1990s, said he has been assembling a group of investors but has not yet reviewed any prospectus from GamePlan LLC, the Boston-based organization that the Lauries hired to help sell the team. "The most likely buyer for St. Louis will be a local group that doesn't care whether it makes a profit or not or an out-of-town buyer that is starved for hockey," he said.

Last edited by Irish Blues: 07-18-2005 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Can't post articles in their entirety (or close) - just post highlights and have the link for others to read the whole thing. (IB)
Old
07-18-2005, 02:52 AM
CuSa_1

I think Cuban would be a great owner, he obviously cares how his team does, so long as he doesn't think he knows how to build the team and leaves personell decisions to Pleau (some would say that is also a dumb thing to do)

Old
07-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Original6

What if he moves the team to Houston ?
I agree he will be sitting in the stands with people and he is a good guy to have around but what if?

Old
07-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Irish Blues

My feeling is that you won't hear anything about a sale of the franchise for 2-3 months, if then. Unless you're part of a group that REALLY wants the Blues, you'll wait to see exactly what the CBA says and how it plays out over the first few months before you put your toes in the waters of NHL ownership. If fans and advertisers come back to the sport somewhat quickly, you'll look at the situation and decide that you can buy in low. If fans and advertisers don't come back and $1.4 billion in league revenues for '05-06 makes wishful thinking look good, you'll wait even longer for evidence that the sport is coming back before you think about owning a team.

Old
07-19-2005, 01:50 PM
MU_Beerman

I think you're right but what does that mean for the roster? I mean, Laurie's not going to spend a bunch of money (or any, i would think) on FA's to fill out the roster of a team he's trying to divest himself of. And if you're response is he'll want to keep the team healthy to make them a good investment and easier to sell, he obviously didnt consider that when he diceided to sell the team at its lowest point in probably 10 years.

Old
07-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU_Beerman
I think you're right but what does that mean for the roster?
That....is the $64,000 question. (OK...$48,640 after the rollback)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU_Beerman
I mean, Laurie's not going to spend a bunch of money (or any, i would think) on FA's to fill out the roster of a team he's trying to divest himself of. And if you're response is he'll want to keep the team healthy to make them a good investment and easier to sell, he obviously didnt consider that when he diceided to sell the team at its lowest point in probably 10 years.
No, I can see him acting like a spoiled kid and saying, "Screw the franchise - I want out, and I'm keeping every last dollar I can put my hands on." It has nothing to do with making the team a "good investment and easier to sell", it will be *the* tell-tale sign of how serious he was about actually being an owner who cared about the long-term strength of the franchise. If he ties Pleau's hands and keeps the wallet locked in the vault, he was (even more obviously) in this for his own selfish interests. If he actually lets Pleau see what kind of team he can build for a reasonable price (say, $35 million), it might show he's willing to help the team look good long enough to get someone else in to buy the team.

But I do agree - he's definitely selling lower than he bought in for.

Old
08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
The Plagers

Go over to...

STLtoday.com for the update provided by Andy Strickland on the sale of the team.Looks like there could very well be seperate parties owning the facility and the team.The post is on the Blues forum.The sale might be complete by the end of the year.

Old
08-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Guy Legend

Here's the direct link to that thread: http://forums.stltoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=282842

Sounds very encouraging.

The front runner appears at this point to be Tony Novelli of Apex Oil. He's born a St. Louisian and has likely been familliar with the Blues his whole life.

Old
08-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Irish Blues

I'm going to stick this since it seems like this might be gaining traction. Please put any further talk relating to the sale of the team here.

Old
08-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Guy Legend

From Bernie's bits in Saturday's paper:

"The St. Louis Business Journal reports that groups led by Tony Novelly (Apex Oil), Shaun Hayes (National City Bank) and Tony Sansone Jr. (Sansone Group) have emerged as potential buyers of the Blues. Add-on: some insiders believe that Mike Shanahan Jr. and Mike Shanahan Sr. will align with Sansone in making a bid."

I was hoping for some sort of alignment of potential buyers. It makes the prospective ownership group stronger and more stable.

Old
08-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
From Bernie's bits in Saturday's paper:

"The St. Louis Business Journal reports that groups led by Tony Novelly (Apex Oil), Shaun Hayes (National City Bank) and Tony Sansone Jr. (Sansone Group) have emerged as potential buyers of the Blues. Add-on: some insiders believe that Mike Shanahan Jr. and Mike Shanahan Sr. will align with Sansone in making a bid."

I was hoping for some sort of alignment of potential buyers. It makes the prospective ownership group stronger and more stable.
Not sure where I heard this, but I recall hearing somewhere (yeah, yeah, I know...) that the Novelly bid was the strongest so far.

I really don't care who buys the team, as long as they have the money to spend and, more importantly, are willing to spend a reasonable amount (if several hundred millions can be called "reasonable") to:

-- get the appropriate players for the "new" NHL.

-- make the Blues the most fan-friendly organ-I-zation in the league. Lots of promotions, player appearances, improved access to semi-public info (better website with more stats, prospect profiles, etc.), draft parties (I hate that the Blues haven't ever done this... even when they hosted the damn draft... ), that kind of stuff.

-- get David Conte in here some how, some way... and build up the best scouting and player development staff (headed by Kekalainen) in pro sports, bar none.

P_B

Old
08-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Yureeka47*

Send a message via MSN to Yureeka47*
Roman Abramovich.... Russian billionaire, wanted to purchase the Canucks.. THe thing about him though, is he wants to make a complete 100% Russian team.

Old
08-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Plager05

If the Sansone's buy it they better not start drafting players out of SLU High.

Old
09-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Firefighter Havok

Send a message via AIM to Firefighter Havok Send a message via MSN to Firefighter Havok
Owner Search 2005

Since I live out of the area now, are there any candidates to buy the Blues and if so, what sort of impact will that have on the team?

Old
09-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Irish Blues

We had a thread on this....and it's slipped off the front page. Essentially the guy that runs Apex Oil is involved in a group with Mike Shanahan Jr. to buy the team - they appear to be the only ones with known interest. I'll try to link this to that thread by the weekend.

Old
09-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Irish Blues

*** Blues May Be Sold ***

Awaiting confirmation on this, the rumor has Dave Checketts buying the team.

I'm looking for info, if I can find more I'll post the appropriate links.

ADD: This was apparently reported on KTRS - and of course I decide NOT to listen to the game.

Closed Thread