HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues for sale (all threads merged here)

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Guy Legend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
I don't think it's that unusual to announce a negotiating period first and then strike a final deal.

All signs point to this being a great thing for Blues fans. As Gordon points out on the stltoday.com website, the big unkown is whether or not Checketts is committed to St. Louis.

He was going to buy the LA Dodgers a few years ago before that fell through and he certainly had no plans to move them, so he isn't just looking for a franchise to move for a quick buck.

Checketts could be the perfect guy - now if he could only figure out how to fix Jackman's shoulder.
If Checketts were buying the team only, I'd be a little concerned. However, the NHL would have to approve any franchise moving and there isn't a chance that they would let St. Louis, one of America's strongest hockey cities go away.

But since Checketts is buying Savvis as well, it's pretty much 99.99% certain that the Blues will remain in St. Louis. You don't buy a building and then remove the main tenant.

Old
09-30-2005, 06:59 AM
Coins

Is he buying the building? Im pretty sure the PD just said the lease.

Old
10-03-2005, 12:31 PM
The Plagers

This morning,on his new radio show on 1380,Bernie said that Tony Sansone may be part of the Checkett's group buying the club.He would be a minority owner.

Old
10-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Blueski

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Plagers
This morning,on his new radio show on 1380,Bernie said that Tony Sansone may be part of the Checkett's group buying the club.He would be a minority owner.
Not to be silly, but can you clarify? Who is Tony Sansone?

Old
10-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueski
Not to be silly, but can you clarify? Who is Tony Sansone?
Owner of Apex Oil, supposedly the head of the local group that was going to put in a bid.

Old
10-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Guy Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Owner of Apex Oil, supposedly the head of the local group that was going to put in a bid.
I thought that was Novelli?

Anyways, great news if true. I really like the idea of a local partner.

Old
10-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
I thought that was Novelli?

Anyways, great news if true. I really like the idea of a local partner.
Novelli, Sansone, .... all those people with 7-letter last names sound alike.

Sansone is a real estate developer in the St. Louis area. That's all I've got attm.

Old
11-11-2005, 07:37 PM
The Plagers

Blues Sale Thread - Will We Ever Get a Buyer?

J.Rutherford posted on the Blues forum at STL today.com,that Checketts has pulled the offer off the table.

Old
11-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Guy Legend

Why.....

Maybe he realized he isn't getting an NBA team either...

Last edited by Guy Legend: 11-11-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old
11-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Irish Blues

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...6?OpenDocument

No...........no............no..........

(insert image of Chancellor Palpatine screaming "No" here)

Old
11-11-2005, 11:20 PM
The Plagers

Frank Cusamano reported on his sports report tonight,that Checketts and the Blues will meet tomorrow morning.Maybe something can still be ironed out.

Old
11-12-2005, 06:36 AM
kimzey59

Serious Question: Can we lynch Laurie?

Old
11-12-2005, 06:59 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Does Walmart ever not play hardball?

Old
11-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Irish Blues

1. Yes, lynching Laurie even if the team is sold is soon to be a prerequisite for being a card-carrying Blues fan. Make sure you have your ugly stick ready, and have lots and lots of duct tape on hand.

2. This team (including the arena, the parking garage and the lease) isn't worth $150 million. I'd offer $120 million tops, tell him if he hadn't let the team go to **** I'd have paid $150 million but since there's going to be costs incurred with getting this team back to where it should be, I'm not paying extra for the privilege of doing it.

ADD: Checketts might be meeting to say, "Look - I told you on Monday that I wasn't paying -"

Wait a minute - Cusumano was talking about hockey? B.S. - someone made that up. Cusumano doesn't talk hockey unless he's ripping on it.

Old
11-12-2005, 08:36 AM
purple_heart

Does anyone have any actual figures of what Laurie paid and when? And, was the price broken down into what he paid for the franchise separately from the arena?

And, how much additional capital he has added and what the losses have been since he took over?

I would assume all NHL franchises are more valuable today than they were 12 months ago. ..... It would seem they are on an upward move; and an odd time for someone of Laurie's resources to sell....

Old
11-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_heart
Does anyone have any actual figures of what Laurie paid and when? And, was the price broken down into what he paid for the franchise separately from the arena?

And, how much additional capital he has added and what the losses have been since he took over?

I would assume all NHL franchises are more valuable today than they were 12 months ago. ..... It would seem they are on an upward move; and an odd time for someone of Laurie's resources to sell....
1. Laurie paid $100 million for the team, arena, and parking garages - he also assumed responsibility for the debt service. From everything I've read, he basically assumed the debt and got everything else for free.

2. How much he's added in, I have no idea. The team claims it's lost over $60 million from 2001-2004, lost money during the lockout, and expected to lose money this season even with a $30 million payroll. How much the losses are since the end of the 2004 season is unknown.

3. Everyone agreed that Laurie picked the wrong time to sell, coming out of the lockout. The normal course of action would be to wait a couple of years, show that the new CBA can help all teams be profitable and competitive, and then sell to someone who knows they'd be getting a money-making entity. As we've seen for a while now, it's clear that Laurie has no idea what a right-thinking person should do.

Old
11-12-2005, 10:01 AM
The Plagers

Hey,we can use the duct tape that the govt.said we would need in case of a terrori st attack.And it's all from Wal-Mart.

Old
11-12-2005, 10:03 AM
The Plagers

Sorry.I meant for the WalMart thing to be funny,not the attack.

I have failed.

Old
11-12-2005, 11:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Colin Campbell might become the Blues GM if Checketts does buy the Blues.They worked together with the Rangers and Checketts wanted Soupy to replace Neil Smith but the Rangers ownership wanted Glen Sather

Old
11-12-2005, 11:14 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Colin Campbell might become the Blues GM if Checketts does buy the Blues.They worked together with the Rangers and Checketts wanted Soupy to replace Neil Smith but the Rangers ownership wanted Glen Sather
2 Birds
1 Stone

Now if we can just find somebody to replace Sauer we'll be set.

Old
11-12-2005, 12:29 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
2 Birds
1 Stone

Now if we can just find somebody to replace Sauer we'll be set.
Ask and you shall recieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Strickland
If a deal strikes between Dave Checketts and Blues owner Bill Laurie, expect esteemed broadcaster John Davidson to have a prominent role with the franchise. Davidson will likely serve as the next President of the St. Louis Blues organization.

Davidson currently serves as a color analyst for both the New York Rangers and OLN.

If this happens, this would come as great news for the future of the St. Louis Blues.

Davidson is one of the most respected individuals in the sport.

A member of the Checketts group is meeting with Blues officials today in hopes of hammering out a deal. The Checketts group will give a November 15th deadline to strike a deal with Bill Laurie.

The asking price from Laurie is $140 million. Sources have told me the two sides are extremely close (within 5 million). If the sale goes through the deal won’t officially close until January, after the NHL board of governors meeting.

Dave Checketts is the best buyer for the St. Louis Blues period. Checketts is aligned with the NHL specifically commissioner Gary Bettman. If this deal breaks down, the chances of the St. Louis Blues remaining in St. Louis are greatly reduced. The club is obviously is not in good financial condition right now. The club is expected to lose millions of dollars the next two years. A source close to the situation tells me the Blues will lose $30 million this season and next season. I will have more later today
It's not over yet.

Checketts as Owner.
Colin Cambell as GM.
John Davidson as President.

I think I could live with that scenario.

Old
11-12-2005, 01:20 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
John Davidson next Blues PRES?!

http://v2.hockeybuzz.com/blogworld/b...ger=5&post=492

If a deal strikes between Dave Checketts and Blues owner Bill Laurie, expect esteemed broadcaster John Davidson to have a prominent role with the franchise. Davidson will likely serve as the next President of the St. Louis Blues organization.

Davidson currently serves as a color analyst for both the New York Rangers and OLN.

If this happens, this would come as great news for the future of the St. Louis Blues.

Davidson is one of the most respected individuals in the sport.

A member of the Checketts group is meeting with Blues officials today in hopes of hammering out a deal. The Checketts group will give a November 15th deadline to strike a deal with Bill Laurie.

The asking price from Laurie is $140 million. Sources have told me the two sides are extremely close (within 5 million). If the sale goes through the deal won’t officially close until January, after the NHL board of governors meeting.

Dave Checketts is the best buyer for the St. Louis Blues period. Checketts is aligned with the NHL specifically commissioner Gary Bettman. If this deal breaks down, the chances of the St. Louis Blues remaining in St. Louis are greatly reduced. The club is obviously is not in good financial condition right now. The club is expected to lose millions of dollars the next two years. A source close to the situation tells me the Blues will lose $30 million this season and next season. I will have more later today.

Stay tuned!

More to come,

Andy Strickland

Old
11-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Blueski

I truly hope that Laurie doesn't blow this deal. Really, what is 5Mil between fellow billionaires?

Can we get a praying to God smiley on here please? We really need one for this right now.

Old
11-12-2005, 02:58 PM
The Plagers

I read that JD denied the rumor,saying that there was nothing to it.

Of course,last night Checketts was thought to have pulled the offer.

Old
11-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Guy Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Plagers
I read that JD denied the rumor,saying that there was nothing to it.
You see....he's already acting presidential.

Closed Thread