HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues for sale (all threads merged here)

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Guy Legend

vCash: 500
If Andy's info of a $5 million difference is true, it has to get done.

Sounds like we should know by Tuesday.

Old
11-12-2005, 04:45 PM
St.Louis sports fan

FYI Sauer does not own the Savvis Center--the city of St. Louis does.. They have a lease that will be part of sale. Apparently the lease is one of the reeasons he wants to sell. When an event like a concert or circus or something comes in I believe the Blues book it and profit from it however the city charges them an "event" tax for each event. Also the Blues are responsible for any maintainace to the arena. Not like the Rams where the city pays for the renovations to the dome to keep it in the top 10% of the league.

Old
11-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
As a Ranger fan, I seriously doubt the JD rumor.

I'm not trolling, just saying.

Old
11-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Plagers
I read that JD denied the rumor,saying that there was nothing to it.
Yeah... sounds right

Old
11-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Irish Blues

This is merged into the existing thread stuck at the top of the forum, which will be retitled shortly. All talk surrounding the potential sale or non-sale should go there so everyone can follow things right now.

Old
11-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
As a Ranger fan, I seriously doubt the JD rumor.

I'm not trolling, just saying.
Since it's not "Checketts has told sources ..." and it's more along the lines of "I think if Checketts buys the team, here's what will happen ...." then I wouldn't get worked up over the idea of Davidson jumping to the Blues.

We should know more on Tuesday one way or another.

Old
11-13-2005, 12:35 AM
The Plagers

Now,Eklund is reporting that the deal is dead again.

I also read that Garry Unger is part of a group that has submitted a bid to buy the club.

Will somebody just buy the thing and get it over with?!

Old
11-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Now,Eklund is reporting that the deal is dead again.
That just means things are still on. (Eklund as a credible source = and )

Quote:
I also read that Garry Unger is part of a group that has submitted a bid to buy the club.
Good! Then maybe the Blues can hang #7 in the rafters finally, give Unger and Berenson their long-overdue honors.

Quote:
Will somebody just buy the thing and get it over with?!
I had an idea, but I'll probably post it in "The Business of Hockey" forum b/c someone who will be able to answer the questions I have will find it there first.

Old
11-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Irish Blues

The latest from Andy Strickland

http://v2.hockeybuzz.com/blogworld/blog.aspx?blogger=5

Quote:
Some local people that expressed serious interest in past weeks told me they would not even come close to negotiating the dollar amount the Checketts group and Laurie have been discussing. The fact that the club will continue to lose money this season and next-not to mention the repair job necessary to get the organization back on its feet from a roster standpoint- has scared some local individuals away.

The possibility remains that Checketts will jump back in if Laurie is willing to come down on his asking price. Of all the people that have expressed interest in purchasing the Blues, Checketts is far and away the most qualified. Checketts has extensive experience with the NHL and has quality relationships with the people that matter in the league. In my opinion this was a no brainer for Laurie to sell to Checketts. According to people close to the Checketts camp Lauries hardball approach potentially has cost him in the end.
Also on John Davidson:
Quote:
Several sources have confirmed with me that Davidson will likely be involved with the St. Louis Blues if Checketts does end up hammering out a deal to buy the Blues and the Savvis Center lease.

Old
11-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Guy Legend

So I take it that the Nov. 15 deadline is now irrelevant?

Laurie.....

Old
11-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Guy Legend

Well, it's official now.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...4?OpenDocument

What a load of BS.

Old
11-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Irish Blues

Bill Laurie should adopt a personal motto: "Like this year's Blues, I'm craptastic!"

( and about Bill Laurie omitted for the sake of the children)

Old
11-14-2005, 06:20 PM
The Plagers

It's a shame that we have such a moronic owner.

This evening on KSLG,Andy Strickland said that Checketts offer was about 135 million.Laurie refused to come down from 140 million,and that was that.He also said,that of the local groups in the bidding,one might go as high as 120 million and the rest no higher than 100 million.I'm not the sharpes pencil in the box,but something seems to be wrong here.Does Laurie know which number is higher?

Old
11-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
It's a shame that we have such a moronic owner.

This evening on KSLG,Andy Strickland said that Checketts offer was about 135 million.Laurie refused to come down from 140 million,and that was that.He also said,that of the local groups in the bidding,one might go as high as 120 million and the rest no higher than 100 million.I'm not the sharpes pencil in the box,but something seems to be wrong here.Does Laurie know which number is higher?
If it were me, I'd give $120 million and not a penny more. If Checketts was willing to give $135 million, Laurie should have taken the cash and run. Predictably enough, he didn't and now has nothing. Lesson #1 in negotiating: when one offer is clearly higher than anyone else's, always take the offer - even if it's not what you want. It's extremely doubtful someone else is going to race in with a better offer.

I can hear the lynch mob getting organized in Columbia right now.....

Old
11-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
If it were me, I'd give $120 million and not a penny more. If Checketts was willing to give $135 million, Laurie should have taken the cash and run. Predictably enough, he didn't and now has nothing. Lesson #1 in negotiating: when one offer is clearly higher than anyone else's, always take the offer - even if it's not what you want. It's extremely doubtful someone else is going to race in with a better offer.

Preach on, brotha... you couldn't be more correct. Bill Laurie is a complete imbecile.

Quote:
Where do I sign up?

P_B

Old
11-14-2005, 07:15 PM
The Plagers

Hold on,I'll go get the torches.

Old
11-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Hold on,I'll go get the torches.
I am just going to find his daughter and make her walk a little funny.

Old
11-14-2005, 10:56 PM
The Plagers

I read what sounded like a good explanation for the breaking down of the deal.I don't know if it's true,but it sounded good.A poster over at STLtoday.com,said that he had information that the deal broke down,because of a clause Checketts wanted added to the agreement.And not Santa either.If certain variables were met,the team could be relocated.Laurie would not agree to that.He also said that all this could be posturing just to drive down the price.True?

Old
11-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Guy Legend

Quote:
I'm already there (really).

Old
11-15-2005, 04:23 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
I read what sounded like a good explanation for the breaking down of the deal.I don't know if it's true,but it sounded good.A poster over at STLtoday.com,said that he had information that the deal broke down,because of a clause Checketts wanted added to the agreement.And not Santa either.If certain variables were met,the team could be relocated.Laurie would not agree to that.He also said that all this could be posturing just to drive down the price.True?
why would Laurie give a damn if the team moved or not? I figure, Laurie would probably want the same deal he took...have the new owner take over his debt. I get the feeling that is just not going to happen.

Simply put any prospective buyer is going to have all of the public information about this team losing X dollars for the last X years straight and know that it is going to take X years to turn that around. Not too many people are wanting to take on a losing business that stands to lose millions for the next 2-5 years.

The main killer I would think is attendance. I have not been following it, but has attendance been down too. it is not too hard to do the math if attendance is dwindling AND the team is losing money.

Old
11-16-2005, 11:22 AM
BlueBleeder

Can you really blame the fans for not going to games?

Old
11-16-2005, 12:55 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBleeder
Can you really blame the fans for not going to games?
nope, but then again I can't really blame the ownership from moving the team if fans aren't going to the games either.

It is a vicious circle.

A mexican standoff when the owner holds all of the cards.

Old
11-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Irish Blues

The current situation is very similar to how the fans reacted to Mike Keenan after the '96 playoffs when Gretzky walked. They stayed away by the thousands - announced crowds were 15,800 or so but the actual attendance may have been 12,000 or 13,000 (with a couple of exceptions, most notably the night Shanahan came back with Hartford and the place was absolutely packed). The fans didn't stay away b/c they hated the team, it was a protest to what Keenan and Quinn had done with the team.

When Keenan was fired, fans flocked to the ticket office and the phone to buy Blues tickets again. Same thing here - if Mark Sauer announced the team was sold effective December 15, Blues fans would race to get tickets for every Blues game after the effective sale date. They're not staying away b/c they were bandwagon fans or just hate this year's team nearly as much as they're staying away b/c they are pissed off at the three-headed monster running this franchise right now. If Laurie sold tomorrow and the announcement from the new owner came out that Sauer and Pleau were gone once the sale was completed, I guarantee fans would be snapping up tickets left and right and would show up en masse at Savvis once again - even if this team is headed for 12-61-9 this season.

Old
11-16-2005, 02:26 PM
milieu bluez

Quote:
The current situation is very similar to how the fans reacted to Mike Keenan after the '96 playoffs when Gretzky walked. They stayed away by the thousands - announced crowds were 15,800 or so but the actual attendance may have been 12,000 or 13,000 (with a couple of exceptions, most notably the night Shanahan came back with Hartford and the place was absolutely packed). The fans didn't stay away b/c they hated the team, it was a protest to what Keenan and Quinn had done with the team.

When Keenan was fired, fans flocked to the ticket office and the phone to buy Blues tickets again. Same thing here - if Mark Sauer announced the team was sold effective December 15, Blues fans would race to get tickets for every Blues game after the effective sale date. They're not staying away b/c they were bandwagon fans or just hate this year's team nearly as much as they're staying away b/c they are pissed off at the three-headed monster running this franchise right now. If Laurie sold tomorrow and the announcement from the new owner came out that Sauer and Pleau were gone once the sale was completed, I guarantee fans would be snapping up tickets left and right and would show up en masse at Savvis once again - even if this team is headed for 12-61-9 this season.

I hope your right ineresting angle nice read

Old
11-16-2005, 03:21 PM
St.Louis sports fan

Irish is absolutely right. What Laurie is doing to the fans is personal. Without fail for the last what 7 or 8 years or so the Blues play preseason games at home vs. Chicago and Dallas. It's a tradition that me and my wife take my son to both games as well as about 5 others during the year. Needless to say this year we didn't go. We went to trainging camp at the Mills, but not pre-season games. Were the Blues off to a 2-12-2 or whatever start...no. The fact that the man writing the checks shows no regard for the fans had made this personal.

Closed Thread