HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues for sale (all threads merged here)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2005, 05:02 PM
The Plagers

vCash: 500
The way that ownership is running this club,is hurting my feelings,and I believe I'm going to cry.

Old
11-17-2005, 11:35 AM
LA Blue

Send a message via AIM to LA Blue
Quote:
Last but not least, I've heard from a couple of sources that the Checketts' thing might not be COMPLETELY over.

JR
From Jeremy Rutherford's pre-game skate post yesterday. What melodrama!

Matt

Old
11-23-2005, 05:18 PM
The Plagers

I heard yesterday,on a local radio station,that Checketts hasn't given up on buying the club.He is currently trying to put together more investors.

Also heard that at least one local group is getting serious about buying the team.

Strickland said that if the purchase comes after the December BOG meetings,the board could vote by phone.

Old
12-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Guy Legend

Checketts Possibly Back as Buyer

According to Bernie M. from the Post Dispatch.

http://forums.stltoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=321504

Could happen as early as Monday. Hopefully we get something from Strickland real soon.

Old
12-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Irish Blues

As if things couldn't get more strange...

12-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Guy Legend

Official article: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...F?OpenDocument

Details sound familiar...

Old
12-11-2005, 01:19 AM
The Plagers

John Davidson looking for a house in West St.Louis county?

WOW!Think he'll do any more commercials for the St.Louis Zoo?

Remember those?

Old
12-11-2005, 05:12 PM
bacon grease

Masterful negotiating move by Checketts then if it turns out he gets the team at his price under his conditions. Maybe there's hope for the team yet.

Old
12-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
You guys can have Checketts but not JD!!

Old
12-11-2005, 09:07 PM
CuSa_1

I had to miss a big part of the game on Sat. but when I finally watched it my cousin mentioned how she liked the NY announcer because even though they weren't for us they were "being real nice" to/about the blues. It didn't even connect until I tried to think of if I've ever listened to JD's broadcast. This is looking pretty promising.

Old
12-11-2005, 09:48 PM
milieu bluez

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
I had to miss a big part of the game on Sat. but when I finally watched it my cousin mentioned how she liked the NY announcer because even though they weren't for us they were "being real nice" to/about the blues. It didn't even connect until I tried to think of if I've ever listened to JD's broadcast. This is looking pretty promising.
Wow i didn't think of it until i read your post but they were being nice. I dont' get wb11 so i had to watch the game on MSG well they show the whole game in 60min so they fast forward alot which sucked but atleast i got to see some blues hockey.
anyway at one point someone fired the puck from way out by the boards and i think KT got a peice of it and nearly got a goal and then anouncers said "Ahh man" they almost got it (in a supportive way) i looked at my brother after the comment and we both kinda shrugged our shoulders, but now it make a little more since

Old
12-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
JD wasnt so supportive when he bashed which ever one of your players (forgot who) head hunted Prucha against the boards.

Old
12-12-2005, 03:23 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
JD wasnt so supportive when he bashed which ever one of your players (forgot who) head hunted Prucha against the boards.
He works for the Rangers he wasnt suppost to be supportive then. I dont know or care what player hit Prucha but thats hockey.

Old
12-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Guy Legend

Could Frank Cusumano have gotten the scoop on the Blues sale? Hmmmm...

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=89404

Also, here's a good Forbes article in 2002 mentioning the guy involved in Cusumano's.....report.

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2002/0930/400337.html

Let me say that the Blues fit this guy to a tee. Here's a couple of interesting snippets...

Quote:
Now Matlin, 41, is striking out on his own, moving his $2.2 billion Matlin Patterson Global Opportunities Fund from under CSFB's mantle
Quote:
His style is to buy into the sickest companies in the infirmary, often paying as little as 15 cents on the face value dollar.
Quote:
Another Matlin ploy is to gain a controlling position by gobbling up the majority of the debt, thus giving him command of the creditors committee, which decides who gets what in the restructuring. He wants situations where the reorganization will be the most contentious possible, scaring off the faint of heart.

Old
12-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Guy Legend

Strickland is saying the same thing. Checketts still appears to be in too.

Also, the local player involved in Matlin's group is none other than...Gary Unger.

Hopefully, this next letter of intent (if true) turns out to be more fruitful than the last...

Old
12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
DaBo

No official linky yet, but I've heard "IT'S DONE!!'

$167 Million
Niel Smith to be President.

As reported on KFNS radio in St. Louis, nothing in print as I type.

Old
12-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Guy Legend

From JR:

Quote:
A source has told me that no deal is done yet. It could take through the weekend.

Meanwhile, I can confirm that if/when Matlin Patterson takes over, Neil Smith is expected to be the President/GM. I was also told that Smith and Larry Pleau are extremely tight and, in all likelihood, Pleau would remain in some capacity . . . maybe even GM.

Reports also appear to be accurate that Garry Unger would be involved, but only in a PR/ambassador role. Unger is currently on vacation from his job with the Florida Seals. He did return a phone call or respond to an e-mail.

More in Saturday's P-D.

JR

Yes, I'm very optimistic that this gets done.

Old
12-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Guy Legend

From Bernie...

Quote:
Andy Strickland just got off the phone with Neil Smith and Smith says he has no idea where this is coming from.... he is denying it completely...and he is saying he has had no discussions with this New York group about joining them in this effort ... he has not been approached....Strickland said Smith was perplexed.

--B

Old
12-16-2005, 05:15 PM
4th_Liner

good.. neil smith should be banned from hockey.. he'll ruin this franchise even more..

Old
12-17-2005, 04:29 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Former Rangers president and GM Neil Smith is part of a company trying to best the group fronted by former Garden president Dave Checketts in the competition to purchase the St.Louis Blues and the Savvis Center.
Should the deal go through, Smith would run the hockey operation for the Blues, who are among the NHL's worst teams this season after a two-decade run of consecutive playoff appearances
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...p-319145c.html

New York Daily News Rangers beat writer John Dellapina is reporting that info and he is very close to Neil Smith

Smith is a quality hockey man.Forget about what happened at the end with the Rangers.Look at his work with the Red Wings during the 1980's running their drafts and his work with the Rangers from 1989-90-1996-97

Old
12-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Guy Legend

General Sports Entertainment (Appleby) from Michigan has signed a letter of intent with Laurie.

Any guesses as to when Dick comes in and the deal collapses?

By the way, I saw Laurie driving today in Columbia (no joke) in his Mercedes SL. Funny thing is, he glanced over and started staring at me first.

Didn't have enough time to get the finger up...

Old
12-27-2005, 07:13 PM
JB*

Send a message via ICQ to JB* Send a message via AIM to JB* Send a message via MSN to JB* Send a message via Yahoo to JB*
From the P-D

Quote:
CHICAGO -- Blues owners Bill and Nancy Laurie have entered into a letter of intent with General Sports and Entertainment, LLC to negotiate exclusively with that firm for the sale of their hockey team.

The news was announced in a press release issued by the public-relations firm for General Sports. Neither side is commenting on the negotiations.

A source told the Post-Dispatch that General Sports & Entertainment CEO Andy Appleby met with Blues executives last week.

Appleby's company is based in Rochester, Mich. Before starting General Sports in 1998, Appleby was an executive with the NBA's Detroit Pistons and The Palace at Auburn Hills. General Sports owns a minor-league baseball team, the Fort Wayne Wizards, and operates a minor-league hockey team, the Port Huron Flags.

The Lauries put the Blues up for sale in June and previously had a letter-of-intent arrangement with former Madison Square Garden President Dave Checketts. But those talks fell through in November.
Over the weekend, the P-D said that both sides are under confidentiality agreements as to negotiations.

What a mess this has become. I also read there are only three players under deals past this season - and none of those are past 2006-07. Here's hoping for Blues' fans sake this can get rectified - and that Appleby is looking to build a contender, not turn the team for a buck.

Old
12-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Irish Blues

Not that I have a feeling one way or another on this (frankly, I'm kind of numb to the whole discussion anymore), but I'm not going to get overly excited until both parties sign off and the BoG approves. Let's see what the terms of the sale are before we jump for joy about this.

Old
12-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Guy Legend

Here's an article from April (Detroit news) about Appleby.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/business...B02-145123.htm

What concerns me is that the article says that the group is only a $15 million dollar company. It probably doesn't include the total worth of investors in the Blues bid, but nonetheless, I was hoping for deeper pockets.

Old
01-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Irish Blues

After meeting with St. Louis mayor Francis Slay on Friday, the group headed by Andy Appleby and Tony Sansone appears to be out of the running for the Blues. Sansone is going to go forward without Appleby and will attempt to put together his own group to buy the Blues. The Blues asked for a $10 million non-refundable deposit by 5pm, which was not paid. The 20-day exclusive negotiating window ends tonight, and it appears the team will still not be sold.

No idea on what any group involving Sansome might look like - this may unfold over the next week or two. For what it's worth, Laurie is apparently in the Caribbean right now - which should tell you how likely he thought a sale would be closed today.

And so the saga continues...

Closed Thread