HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

The All-Purpose Michael Del Zotto Thread (All MDZ talk here please!)

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2014, 01:49 AM
ProstheticConscience
Like, now.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Not much of anything. Like I said, there's a reason not a single team has touched him.
I did wonder...I honestly recall NYR fans being a lot higher on the guy once upon a time. I was surprised by the trade to Nashville, but then again I really don't see a lot of Rangers games, even after we traded coaches.

Old
07-30-2014, 03:17 AM
JuniorNelson

I guess Benning thinks Corrado is ready? Otherwise, MDZ would seem like a good camp invite, at least?

Old
07-30-2014, 05:02 AM
Smokey McCanucks

vCash: 500
Del Zotto would really fill out the depth chart on D, so long as he's willing to come in on a low-risk deal and with no spot guaranteed.

Old
07-30-2014, 09:59 AM
richter4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I did wonder...I honestly recall NYR fans being a lot higher on the guy once upon a time. I was surprised by the trade to Nashville, but then again I really don't see a lot of Rangers games, even after we traded coaches.
Ranger fan here. I'm not sure what the Rangers or any team for that matter sees in this guy. A minor league player at best and certainly not on defense. Everyone was touting his passing and play making ability. I never saw it. His stretch passes were fired up the middle of the ice usually a foot in the air and 9 times out of 10 would end up as an icing. he did have infrequent flashes of someone who could play but way to far in between. He was demoted numerous times, benched constantly, and has the attitude that he is better than he thinks. He was definitely a liability which is why 3 different coaches sat him down. And the guy is still asking for a raise! Personally I think the guy is clueless. I'm willing to bet that any team that picks him up will eventually sit him down. In an interview he did after being demoted to the AHL he stated that he needed to work on his offensive game and that his defense was "sound". Like I said clueless.

Old
07-30-2014, 12:29 PM
MAGICMAN1963

Can see the Canucks haveing a few invites at camp on PTO.Since Linden has stated that we are done with Free agents.

Old
07-30-2014, 01:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
LD - Hamhuis, Edler, Sbisa, Stanton

MDZ's agent should look at that list and realize MDZ might be looking at #7/8 minutes.
Considering he's been pulling 5/6 minutes and time in the pressbox for the past 2 years, that should be evident no matter what.

Old
07-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Iceberg Slim

Given the current construction of the Canucks D corps (as already detailed in this thread), MDZ would probably need to play the right side. And as others have already noted, the past results for this really haven't been good.

It seems like MDZ is one of those players whose struggles in his own zone only become magnified when he's forced to play his off side. He seems to have difficulty going across his body (for "safe" plays along the boards) and has shown a tendency to attempt some very ill-advised clearances up the middle (exponentially so when he's on the right side).

Also, as the Canucks would most likely want a PMD to pair with Edler, it's probably not the best idea to choose someone who's shown a tendency to be even more shaky defensively than the league's reigning "minus" player (Edler -39).

Benning has already taken something of a flyer on Sanguinetti (who's a RHS) and Vancouver will probably give him a look (as a right side PMD option) during camp/preseason (although it's most likely he starts the season in Utica).

At this point, I'm really not sure MDZ would even rank higher than Bobby Sangs (given the Canucks needs and their overall configuration).

But I wouldn't be opposed to a PTO, if he's still unsigned, and giving him a shot to earn a contract. I just don't see much point in signing him right now.

It might be a different story if Edler could play the right side (competently and consistently).

Old
07-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Don't understand the holdup here... any team which has cap space ought to be all over a "show me" contract for Del Zotto? He's not remotely that far gone, IMHO...

Old
07-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Mandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Don't understand the holdup here... any team which has cap space ought to be all over a "show me" contract for Del Zotto? He's not remotely that far gone, IMHO...
Pretty sure you answered your own question here. Since no team wants to give him at least a "show me" contract at this point, wouldnt you say he is "that far gone"?

Have you actually seen his play? If you have, then I dont think you would have this question.

Old
07-30-2014, 04:33 PM
KreiMeARiver*

I think he'll end up in Florida. And by "Florida" I mean KHL.

Old
07-30-2014, 06:04 PM
klingsor

I wonder who that guy was wearing the Del Zotto jersey in 2011-2012 who had 10 goals and 31 assists in 77 games in the regular season and 2 goals and 8 assists in 20 playoff games.

Obviously, his game has gone south but he is only 24 years old.

Rumor has it that he just doesn't make the sacrifices necessary to be an NHL player.

Last edited by klingsor: 07-30-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old
07-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

He fell off pretty hard, and was especially weak in a more offensive minded game plan.

Still weird to see him go from 40 points to looking for a contract in such a short time frame. I recognize he's not great at anything, or even all that good, but I'm sure he could fit in somewhere on a bottom pairing for a $1M contract. I feel like he's probably just asking for too much, holding out hope, and likely refusing two-ways. If it's money and playtime he wants then I think he needs to play a season in the KHL and see what happens.

I just don't believe that no team would give him league minimum. The Klein trade looks even better now.

Old
07-30-2014, 07:29 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
He played very well under Tortorella for 2 years. But as Chris Kreider and Mats Zuccarrello benefited from the coaching change to Alain Vigneault, MDZ faltered...in part because the Rangers had too many left defensemen.

Last edited by aemoreira1981: 07-30-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old
07-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Machinehead
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yes plenty of Rangers fans were high on the guy. I never saw it. Even when he was 19 I didn't see it. I still don't see it.

I think what attracts some people is that he does have a tendency to look like Ray Bourque once every 10 games. The other 9 games he's an octopus with no arms. There's no middle ground.

07-31-2014, 02:06 AM
ProstheticConscience
Like, now.

Huh. Yeah, we've already got a few of those. There's this Bieksa guy who does the offensive defenseman thing and fights every once in a while, gets called a spot-picker because he's not laying out guys like Chara or Scott even though he's smaller than one of the Sedin twins, Edler...who we're hoping goes to therapy to regain his faculties, Hamhuis who's awesome, Stanton who's good at the bottom...then...Sbisa? Tanev on the right, Corrado after that? Hopefully he keeps developing...beyond that we're into AHL guys or draft picks.

Not really seeing why anyone here would want MDZ.

Old
07-31-2014, 03:02 AM
biturbo19

Not a fit, for a lot of different reasons.

1)He's really not the Puck Moving presence we need 5v5, or the PPQB and/or RH shot the Canucks need for the Man Advantage.

2)He's quite poor defensively on top of that.

3)He doesn't bring any other real attributes of value to the team. Small and unimposing, and seems to have some "attitude alignment" problems as well.

4)He's a LHD only. We already have Hamhuis/Edler/Sbisa/Stanton who would all slot in ahead of him. A bottom-pairing RHD might stand a half decent chance of making this Canucks team (with just Corrado and Weber, maybe Sbisa/Stanton on their off side to beat), but on the LHD side, it's just not happening.

So basically...he doesn't fit in Vancouver because he doesn't offer anything at all that they need. MDZ at this point is still feasting on his reputation from a couple years where he put up some "decent" stats in the same bizarre Tortorella system that created all kinds of strange anomalies that Canucks fans just watched firsthand.

If the Canucks wanted to throw out a low-$$$ offer to a bottom-pairing D-man that they'd have to shelter to provide a bit more offense from the back end and operate on the top-PP unit...i've said it before, but Jamie McBain is a vastly better option. At the least, he offers that RH shot which of itself makes him a far better "reclamation project" of a similar ilk to MDZ.

Old
07-31-2014, 03:05 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
He fell off pretty hard, and was especially weak in a more offensive minded game plan.
This is the sort of huge red flag that should set off all sorts of alarm bells and warning klaxons for anyone who still really thinks MDZ is a true "Puck Moving Defenceman".

Good puck moving defencemen don't get worse in a more offensive/uptempo/transition oriented system.

Old
07-31-2014, 07:50 AM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

OK why has no team signed Del Zotto yet???

I don't get it... you cant tell me there isn't atleast a handful of teams that wouldn't want him. Soooo young still and has offensive abilities. Sure he struggled past couple years but had a great year a few years ago and like I said, still so young. Is he demanding way too much? I have a feeling a team will sign him to a cheap contract and he will have a good season and all other 29 teams will be kicking themselves

Old
07-31-2014, 07:53 AM
Preds33
RIP Shea Weber!

He's asking too much?

Old
07-31-2014, 07:56 AM
Diatomic
WHAT A MOVE, SCORES!

He's a Del zaster

Old
07-31-2014, 07:57 AM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
Honestly, he likely isn't happy with the offers he has (I'm sure there are a few teams who can use his offense) and is waiting to see if some preseason injuries/trades increases his demand. He'll be somewhere in the NHL by the time the season starts.

Old
07-31-2014, 08:12 AM
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatomic View Post
He's a Del zaster
That's my joke

Current GOAT Quote
Daisy Jane (re: Mitch Marner's chances of getting crushed by Dion): "but Marner isn't Phaneuf's team mate anymore.... why would Marner be in danger of being hit? I'd be more concerned about Lazar or Stone to be honest."
Old
07-31-2014, 08:14 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Probably because he thinks he is better than he actually is.

Old
07-31-2014, 08:21 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/f...ators-defence/

Quote:
Del Zotto has been talking to “a bunch” of teams—“obviously there’s interest,” he says—but won’t say which ones or how many.
http://www.yorkregion.com/news-story...hl-free-agent/

Quote:
While Del Zotto is unhappy no NHL team has come up with an ideal offer yet, it’s a situation the unrestricted free agent fully accepts.
So the offers seem to be out there (unless he's lying and trying to create a false market for himself) but nothing he's liked so far.

Old
07-31-2014, 08:23 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Yep...He's probably not wanting a paycut, but nobody wants to bite on the $2.9 he was making.

Closed Thread