HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The All-Purpose Michael Del Zotto Thread (All MDZ talk here please!)

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2014, 11:41 AM
BC Ben

vCash: 50
Kind of reminds me of the Cam Barker situation... Potential was overcome by not being all the great a defenseman.

Old
07-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeqs View Post
I laughed so hard at the pain of Red wing fans this offseason when 3 or 4 of the biggest FA dmen turned them down and they had to resign quincy to that kind of money . It was a sad offseason for you guys.
Yup I guess Boyle wanted to play with his buddy Marty St Louis in New York, And Ehrhoff felt that he had a better chance playing in Pittsburgh and contending. Niskanan was the ultimate snub he really thinks that Washington's going to be serious contender. And I guess, That cheapskate Holland only offered 3 years for Stralman who took the 5 year deal with Tampa Bay So yeah I don't blame any one of them for snubbing Detroit. We're pretty much in a transition period right now not sure what direction Holland is taking this team.

Old
07-31-2014, 11:51 AM
eco's bones

Del Zotto and/or his agent is working under the assumption that every time the next contract comes around your $'s go up. Doesn't matter that between the past two years when he signed his last contract and now that he played like crap. The guy may have been worth what he got last time around when he signed but his play went backward and hard. He wasn't deserving his cap hit by the time his contract was up. If he wants a job he should prepare to play for less $'s because I don't think anyone is going to sign him for what he got the last two years let alone pay him even more.

Old
07-31-2014, 12:17 PM
THall4

If hes smart...he goes to a very strong defensive team that could use his offence.

guys basically a LW pretending to be a dman

MDZ in LA would be bonkers..would be good for San Jose too

Old
07-31-2014, 12:35 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Yup 1 or 2 years of Del Zotto is still better then 2 years of KFQ.
It's really not though. Del Zaster is a liability every time he's on the ice. In his last season with the Rangers, he would fumble the puck without anyone even near him. The slightest amount of pressure and he panics and turns the puck over. He lacks the agility, mobility, and general footspeed to recover once he's beaten wide. His decision-making is a course in hesitation and indecision.

As far as offense goes, he has one of the least accurate shots in the league. He constantly misses the net by five or more feet, often both high and wide. He often forces passes trying to make a cute low-percentage play.

He appears to be mentally fragile in the sense that once he makes a mistake, he's likely to make two more in the same shift because he's still thinking about the initial mistake.

The one positive skill he possesses is his ability to thread a perfect stretch-pass to hit forwards in stride for breakaways. But again, he often attempts to force that pass when it's not there, and for every time he connects, he turns it over three or four times.

For whatever reason, his best performances came in his rookie season. Since then, his development stagnated and he's slowly regressed into a consistently unreliable player. I'm not sure if off-ice issues are at play here, but I have a difficult time seeing him regain control of his career in a positive way. He may get lucky and find statistical success offensively on the right team / in the right situation, but the future for the former first-rounder seems rather bleak.

Old
07-31-2014, 12:38 PM
Ho Borvat

Courtesy of @thestanchion
https://twitter.com/TheStanchion/sta...275267/photo/1

Old
07-31-2014, 12:40 PM
jasonfilatov

MDZ thinks he's a top 4 defenseman. He is not that and wouldn't crack most top 6s around the league after his play last year. He needs to get realistic if he wants to play in the NHL come October.

Old
07-31-2014, 12:41 PM
jughead42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Yup I guess Boyle wanted to play with his buddy Marty St Louis in New York, And Ehrhoff felt that he had a better chance playing in Pittsburgh and contending. Niskanan was the ultimate snub he really thinks that Washington's going to be serious contender. And I guess, That cheapskate Holland only offered 3 years for Stralman who took the 5 year deal with Tampa Bay So yeah I don't blame any one of them for snubbing Detroit. We're pretty much in a transition period right now not sure what direction Holland is taking this team.
Don't forget Detroit getting the cold shoulder from Robidas in free agency as well. He thought the Leafs were the better situation for his talents. ROFL at Detroit.

I think Del Zotto sees himself getting a contract similar to what Gardiner got from Toronto, and that`s probably holding things up. I don`t blame him, if he takes a short Show Me contract and has another crap year he`ll be in trouble. He`s got to cash in now while he still has the illusion of value from his earlier successes. Edmonton will step up with a ridiculous offer to put him in that price range if he waits long enough.

Old
07-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Del Zotto and/or his agent is working under the assumption that every time the next contract comes around your $'s go up. Doesn't matter that between the past two years when he signed his last contract and now that he played like crap. The guy may have been worth what he got last time around when he signed but his play went backward and hard. He wasn't deserving his cap hit by the time his contract was up. If he wants a job he should prepare to play for less $'s because I don't think anyone is going to sign him for what he got the last two years let alone pay him even more.

But the cap is going up so every player must get a raise I mean isn't that why Toews and Kane just got $10.5M deals.

Old
07-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

He seems like this year's Tom Gilbert. He's likely going to have to take a one year deal and re-establish himself to get a longer deal next season.

Old
07-31-2014, 12:53 PM
Curufinwe

If the Flyers could trade Grossmann and if MDZ could wait till the end of camp when Pronger would go on LTIR, I would give him a one year, $1.5 million deal.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Ched Brosky

Canucks a finalist for del zotto, his agent denies any chance

So Eklund says that the Canucks are a finalist for del zotto. Del zotto's agent comes out and says there is no chance his client signs with the Canucks.

Why is this guy still considered a reputable source? What more proof is needed?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...1pm-ET/1/61582

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheStanch...275267/photo/1

Old
07-31-2014, 01:10 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched Brosky View Post
So Eklund says that the Canucks are a finalist for del zotto. Del zotto's agent comes out and says there is no chance his client signs with the Canucks.

Why is this guy still considered a reputable source? What more proof is needed?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...1pm-ET/1/61582
The NJ Devils and NY Islanders are talking to Devon Setoguchi
]
So, the NY press says the isles have a surplus of forwards and are trying to move a couple, while Eklund has them trying to sign Setoguchi?

Old
07-31-2014, 01:10 PM
caley

He still has some sources. He called Briere being traded about 40 minutes to an hour before it happened.

07-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Meeqs

I always get in trouble for bashing Ek as a source but honestly it is getting to the point where a majority of the stuff he makes up doesnt even come close to making sense. Other writers for HB on podcasts have talked about how EK limits what they are allowed to write about to generate hits at peak times.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:14 PM
TOGuy14

It is usually best to ignore any Eklund rumors that don't involve Philly.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:16 PM
syc

Is it 2011 again?

Old
07-31-2014, 01:20 PM
StuckOutHere

Only believe it if it's the Flyers.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Only believe it if it's the Flyers.
This. Not sure why this has to be said so often. If it's not Flyer related or doesn't say "E5", just ignore it. Not sure why people continue to ***** when this is continuously said.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:26 PM
Meeqs

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
He still has some sources. He called Briere being traded about 40 minutes to an hour before it happened.
I dont doubt that he has a few, every now and again he will call a signing or a trade, specifically within MTL but I think the LARGE majority is hocus pokus.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Starat327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeqs View Post
I dont doubt that he has a few, every now and again he will call a signing or a trade, specifically within MTL but I think the LARGE majority is hocus pokus.
Eklund is somehow very connected the flyers and was the first to break the carter/richards trades, and one of the first on JVR/Schenn, etc. As a flyers fan, i use him for flyers related rumors, but everything else i just ignore.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:39 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

Waiting to play with his BFF Tyler Seguin still.

07-31-2014, 01:40 PM
Drury_Sakic

I imagine he is waiting to see if someone will flinch and give him a multi year deal at decent dollars..... Eventually he will probably have to break and take a one year deal, which several teams probably will be interested in.

The problem for Del Zotto is that the longer he waits, the less ideal the situation will be. He could take a lower dollar one year deal now on a team that will make him look good...or he can wait for random chance and a team that might not use him properly.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:46 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I'm sure it's just he's asking too much. He's not a great d-man...but he's legit an NHL player and should be able to find a home somewhere so long as he accepts reality.

Old
07-31-2014, 01:47 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starat327 View Post
Eklund is somehow very connected the flyers and was the first to break the carter/richards trades, and one of the first on JVR/Schenn, etc. As a flyers fan, i use him for flyers related rumors, but everything else i just ignore.
Eklund talks to a couple of Flyers dead beat writers. There is another person on various Flyers boards who actually breaks some good Flyers info and Eklund probably steals it from them.

Closed Thread