HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Cant we watch Training Camp?

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Yizee*

vCash: 500
Why Cant we watch Training Camp?

get a video camera down there MSG and show our new players and the drills - what happened to the up close and personal guarantee from the new nhl?

Old
09-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Levitate

have the rangers training camps ever been open?

Old
09-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee
get a video camera down there MSG and show our new players and the drills - what happened to the up close and personal guarantee from the new nhl?
It looks like some teams, "get it". http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=136321

Some tidbits:

"Grandstands were packed at the Pierrefonds Sportsplexe as the team invited fans to watch their workout. Kovalev stole the show, setting up a goal by Corey Locke and beating Jose Theodore for a goal on a pretty move from in close." He was not surprised to see a full house, despite fan anger during the lockout. ''People said fans would stay away because of the lockout but I said right away people in Canada are anxious to see hockey, they love hockey, and if it took two years, people would miss it and they would come -whether it's a practice or a game,'' he said.

"Mike Ribeiro also had a goal while playing with impressive 18-year-old Guillaume Latendresse, a six-foot-two winger who stood out for his physical play and his skill. Latendresse is best known as the player chosen second behind Sidney Crosby in the QMJHL midget draft two years ago. The Drummonville Volitgeur was drafted in the second round in June by Montreal. ''The young guy Latendresse really impressed me,'' said Theodore. ''So did the goalie Halak. ''It's good to see our young guys come in and play well.''

Old
09-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Yizee*

Well I'm a die hard hockey fan and I dont feel that they do enough to get show us more other than the games themselves - I've never played hockey before and I'd like to see what practice is like what they do and how they look - but I guess it all has to do with money - MSG wants to have advertisements during the day that will make them money which nobody watches

Old
09-15-2005, 02:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Because we are the ones that have to report it-

I find out so much more useful, relative, insightful and factual (believe or not) information on this board, OTG, HockeyRodent, and Blueshirt Bulletin than any newspaper or MSG. Despite the fact that MSG has direct contact with players, coaches, etc. through interview. There are no big radio shows that talk about hockey. Theres no "Rangers Magazine" or "This week in Hockey" on either. The few articles that do come out, spit out innaccurate nonesense and more times than not is written by a sportswriter who's JOB is to write about hockey cause no one else does on their staff. This is not new to us.

Its a shame but its almost cooler to dig up and peruse boards for information, in this underground hockey hotbed we make up. Its like the cellar of Ranger Truth and Opinions. You'd be hardpressed to find any talk like this anywhere else, and the few insightful newspaper articles that finally do hit the press always seem to refelct a discussion that took place the week before on HF or some other board. Its almost as if Brooks and other writers rip the colorful opinions of the hockey rodent and the passionate threads of fans on this site.

But it is a bit annoying, when you hear on a number of occasions the plea that there will be more "upfront and personal" coverage of hockey teams and their players for the fans to delve into and get a better "perspective" of the game. What a better time to do that then NOW!... during training camp! Especially on a team with so many question marks and young, realitively uncovered rookies. This is what the real fan wants to hear about. Not garbage about Holik being bought out (5 weeks later) and the "change in the Rangers' approach". Thats OLD news. Instead we are left searching for who made the first cut.

Oh, Its nice to see a good interview about Blackburn and his double blocker system, but we all knew about that, what 6 months ago? It frustrates the hell out of me to not have this in depth coverage, but ive always been an avid fan and found it out on my own. And when i do get into a discussion about the Rangers with someone casually, i KNOW that i have just as much or more knowledge than they do. Im sure everyone that frequents this board can understand what im talking about. The fact that that information is not there, at everyones fingertips is why this sport isnt doing as well as it should. I dont see enough effort from the RANGERS on that standpoint. They can talk all they want about their aspirations for the sport, but unless they get a sound marketing team together and a true plan and put it into motion, well still be down here in the catacombs searching for useful tidbits every day.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-15-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old
09-15-2005, 02:43 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

It seems pretty much almost ever team has the scrimmages open to the public, some have the entire one ice training camp open to the public. Rangers have nothing.

Old
09-16-2005, 12:52 AM
JCProdigy

I blame Mark Messier

Old
09-16-2005, 05:37 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
have the rangers training camps ever been open?
training camps have always been open in the past. when they hold it up in burlington (which they do most years) everything is open to the public for free so you can go for 5 days and watch all the practices...

the only other year that i remember it not being open to the public was 2001 and it was supposed to be held at msg that year and open to the public but the day before camp opened was 9/11 so that obviously forced a change of plans and they moved it to rye with closed practices

Old
09-16-2005, 06:17 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Does anyone remember a few years ago there was a series on ESPN that followed the red wings for an entire season? Showed them in practice, in the locker room, the front office, even in hotels and restaurants on the road.
That was amazing. I think MSG should make a show like that. Especially since all of the crappy reality TV out there is so popular, why not this?

Old
09-16-2005, 08:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
I blame Mark Messier

Brilliant!

Closed Thread