HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bruins sign Tim Thomas to one-way deal

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2005, 10:39 AM
acr*

vCash: 500
Bruins sign Tim Thomas to one-way deal

According to the Finnish media, then later confirmed by Jokerit(Thomas' Finnish team)

Obviously the big news isn't Tim Thomas, the question is what does this do to the Raycroft situation? He still hasn't signed, which I think is ridiculous on both sides. If he doesn't sign and holds out into the season, can they really expect Tim Thomas to lead the way, or Hannu Toivonen to be the next Calder winning goalie? I'd say there's more of a chance of the latter option. However, if Raycroft does sign, since Thomas' contract is one-way, Hannu's stuck back in Providence for another year and unable to shine through.

Old
09-14-2005, 11:13 AM
BronxBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
According to the Finnish media, then later confirmed by Jokerit(Thomas' Finnish team)

Obviously the big news isn't Tim Thomas, the question is what does this do to the Raycroft situation? He still hasn't signed, which I think is ridiculous on both sides. If he doesn't sign and holds out into the season, can they really expect Tim Thomas to lead the way, or Hannu Toivonen to be the next Calder winning goalie? I'd say there's more of a chance of the latter option. However, if Raycroft does sign, since Thomas' contract is one-way, Hannu's stuck back in Providence for another year and unable to shine through.
I think it's more likely that Raycroft will start, Toivonen will be the back-up, and they'll just send Thomas down to Providence. Yes, he will have to clear waivers before being sent down but what are the chances another team would claim him off of waivers?

Old
09-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Now if the Celtics can only sign Tim Thomas.

Old
09-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Douggy

I read on this site that they were in close negotiations with Potvin too.

Wouldn't he be a better fall-back plan than Tim Thomas?

Old
09-14-2005, 12:49 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Potvin, or any other goaltender for that matter (Dafoe) will not be signed now that Thomas is on board. The reasoning for Thomas over any other available vet goalie is that the Bruins still very much want to bring Raycroft back and have a Raycroft-Toivonen tandem. Of course, things are bleak between Boston and Raycroft so Thomas provides insurance. If Raycroft is brought back, Thomas could be sent to Providence (through waivers) and he wouldnt whine or complain. You can bet that guys like Dafoe, Potvin, etc. would prolly not be really pleased going down to the AHL and that causes a whole other headache...

Old
09-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Big waste of money....simple as that

Old
09-14-2005, 01:06 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Now if the Celtics can only sign Tim Thomas.
As a Knick fan, I would agree.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:36 PM
earthstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
I read on this site that they were in close negotiations with Potvin too.

Wouldn't he be a better fall-back plan than Tim Thomas?
Not really. Thomas was the best goalie in the Finnish league last season (not the NHL, but very competive none the less). In limited NHL work a couple seasons ago he showed flashes of being a very good back-up. He also brings a great attitude to the rink and served as a mentor to Toivonen in his first year in Providence, and could possibly serve the same role with Sigalet or Brown this year (provided Raycroft is signed).

Old
09-14-2005, 03:23 PM
mmmBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthstar
Not really. Thomas was the best goalie in the Finnish league last season (not the NHL, but very competive none the less). In limited NHL work a couple seasons ago he showed flashes of being a very good back-up. He also brings a great attitude to the rink and served as a mentor to Toivonen in his first year in Providence, and could possibly serve the same role with Sigalet or Brown this year (provided Raycroft is signed).
Yeah, as an NHL backup Potvin would be a more proven option, but as a 3rd goalie Thomas would be more willing to play in Providence without sulking. I don't think Thomas would have to clear waivers, either, whereas Potvin would.

Old
09-14-2005, 03:33 PM
cassius

Bruins are starting to look like the Leafs

Old
09-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaholic
Big waste of money....simple as that
Seriously, who would want to sign a goalie as insurance incase Raycroft holds out. Ya, really stupid.

I applaud this move. Timmy played well in Boston-Providnece.

Old
09-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Oil_slick9416*

Send a message via ICQ to Oil_slick9416* Send a message via MSN to Oil_slick9416*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmBeer
Yeah, as an NHL backup Potvin would be a more proven option, but as a 3rd goalie Thomas would be more willing to play in Providence without sulking. I don't think Thomas would have to clear waivers, either, whereas Potvin would.
well since he signed a one way deal, yah he would have to clear waivers

Old
09-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Thomas is underrated and I hope he can show that, he played for AIK in Sweden many years ago and impressed and after that has has been a demanding force in Finland, perhaps the best goalie the last seasons. He has made a bug name of himself in Europe and I think he is a good pick as back-up for Raycroft, maybe he can even bypass him..

Old
09-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Greg7

The one way deal is very strange to me. Not because he has to clear waivers, because the Bruins will still have to pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars to play in the minors, and have it count against their cap.

Old
09-14-2005, 04:25 PM
mmmBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil_slick9416
well since he signed a one way deal, yah he would have to clear waivers
Is that the case? What I've read is that its based on experience, but I could be wrong.

I also don't think he'll count against the cap if he plays in Providence. Anyone have links with this info?

Old
09-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmBeer
Is that the case? What I've read is that its based on experience, but I could be wrong.

I also don't think he'll count against the cap if he plays in Providence. Anyone have links with this info?
It's three years of pro (not NHL) experience, as I understand, which Thomas has, so he will have to clear waivers to be sent down. No, he doesn't count against the cap if he's in Providence.

Old
09-14-2005, 06:58 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius
Bruins are starting to look like the Leafs
PSt, they wish.

Old
09-14-2005, 07:04 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg7
The one way deal is very strange to me. Not because he has to clear waivers, because the Bruins will still have to pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars to play in the minors, and have it count against their cap.
is this true? i thought you could send a player down regardless of a one-way deal, and it wouldn't count against the cap

Old
09-15-2005, 12:21 AM
mmmBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
It's three years of pro (not NHL) experience, as I understand, which Thomas has, so he will have to clear waivers to be sent down. No, he doesn't count against the cap if he's in Providence.
Not doubting your conclusion, but in a general sense is that 3 years of North American pro experience (i.e. AHL/ECHL) or any pro experience (i.e. Swiss, Russian, or any nationality the NHL happens to have an agreement with tonight)?

Old
09-15-2005, 04:55 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
is this true? i thought you could send a player down regardless of a one-way deal, and it wouldn't count against the cap
It still counts or youd get teams sending down their overpaid players to stash them away so they could bring in replacements.

Old
09-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Douggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
It still counts or youd get teams sending down their overpaid players to stash them away so they could bring in replacements.
No, because the players would still have to clear waivers. (If he has three years of North American pro experience)

A one-way contract means the player gets paid the same amount in the minors or not.

A one-way contract does not neccessarily mean he has to clear waivers when sent down or called up.

A player in the minors does not count against the cap.

Old
09-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Funny how last week here in Finland it was mentioned that Thomas had just bought his wife, kids? and mother-in-law down to Finland. Thought he'd give up on his NHL dreams.

Old
09-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
No, because the players would still have to clear waivers. (If he has three years of North American pro experience)

A one-way contract means the player gets paid the same amount in the minors or not.

A one-way contract does not neccessarily mean he has to clear waivers when sent down or called up.

A player in the minors does not count against the cap.
I think youre wrong or teams looking to dump players would just send them down and bring in cheaper replacements.

Closed Thread