HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Cuts (merged)

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2005, 12:06 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos
Probably because he was going back to juniors anyway.

yea but Bahensky CAN play in Hartford since he was drafted out of europe. Sather should sign him and send him to the Pack since he was playing well in camp. Sather should reward the players in camp if they play well.

Old
09-17-2005, 12:22 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
I don't know specifically why Glen signed him, but my point is if he did see something, I've got no problem with him taking a flyer on him for that money. In fact, this is the sort of thing we SHOULD be doing with former first round picks undert the age of 30. If he works out - great, we have a bargain. If he shows no more than he showed in MTL, well then he goes to HFD or gets cut and we've taken a look that didn't cost us much.

Certainly I don't see a guy making just a bit over the minimum stealing playing time from rookies who are clearly outplaying him. One of the beauties of a guy like this is you CAN simply demote him without a second thought.
I think what it comes to is a 26 year old who has never really proved himself should have zero leverage and so should be treated as such. It's not so much that taking a flyer on a player is bad but giving him two years under the circumstances of a cap compounds your mistake if he turns into a bust which if you've been reading the training camp reports seems at the moment well within the realm of possiblity.
And to be honest I'd be a little surprised to see someone pick him up if we sent him to Hartford. I think he's ours for the next couple seasons no matter what he does and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression he has a one way contract and whether in Hartford or not his salary will count against our cap.

Old
09-17-2005, 02:52 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I don't know specifically why Glen signed him, but my point is if he did see something, I've got no problem with him taking a flyer on him for that money. In fact, this is the sort of thing we SHOULD be doing with former first round picks undert the age of 30. If he works out - great, we have a bargain. If he shows no more than he showed in MTL, well then he goes to HFD or gets cut and we've taken a look that didn't cost us much.

Certainly I don't see a guy making just a bit over the minimum stealing playing time from rookies who are clearly outplaying him. One of the beauties of a guy like this is you CAN simply demote him without a second thought.
Two things. First of all, how many veterans do you recall that have been ever sent to Hartford? Second of all, Ward has shown absolutely nothing as far as a scoring touch goes, throughout his entire career. He is a third liner at best, 4th more than likely. Don't the Rangers have quite the abundance of future grinders? Why was it necessary to go out and sign something that they already have, cheaper and younger.
And as for trusting that Sather saw something in him, didn't he also see something in Ciger?

Old
09-17-2005, 03:16 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Two things. First of all, how many veterans do you recall that have been ever sent to Hartford? Second of all, Ward has shown absolutely nothing as far as a scoring touch goes, throughout his entire career. He is a third liner at best, 4th more than likely. Don't the Rangers have quite the abundance of future grinders? Why was it necessary to go out and sign something that they already have, cheaper and younger.
And as for trusting that Sather saw something in him, didn't he also see something in Ciger?
I hope someone took away your belt and all your shoelaces.

Old
09-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Yeah...trade bait for Barnaby...

Old
09-17-2005, 03:50 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

All I'm saying is that he only counts $700K against the cap this year and next - both years in which the Rangers will not be exactly bumping their heads on the ceiling. So why not see if he can develop into a useful asset - either to keep (he's a lot younger than Nils Ekman, for example) or trade for the next Barnaby (like Ciger - thanks Av-american)?

Of course, the laws of probability state he'll probably stink, but so what? If he stinks, I absolutely think they'll send him down (or sit him down). It makes perfect sense - another New York team, the Yankees, makes moves like this all the time.

It's a no-risk signing - as I said before, exactly the sort of thing a rebuilding team should be trying.

Old
09-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Vinland

How is Bruce Graham doing in camp?
Thanks

Old
09-17-2005, 06:13 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
All I'm saying is that he only counts $700K against the cap this year and next - both years in which the Rangers will not be exactly bumping their heads on the ceiling. So why not see if he can develop into a useful asset - either to keep (he's a lot younger than Nils Ekman, for example) or trade for the next Barnaby (like Ciger - thanks Av-american)?

Of course, the laws of probability state he'll probably stink, but so what? If he stinks, I absolutely think they'll send him down (or sit him down). It makes perfect sense - another New York team, the Yankees, makes moves like this all the time.

It's a no-risk signing - as I said before, exactly the sort of thing a rebuilding team should be trying.
This works for me. Marginal player = no multi-year contract. Want to take a chance on someone? Sign him for one year. With Ward he's pretty much got the same contract as Nieminen (relatively the same age) who at least has proven he is a legitimate 3rd line NHL player.
He'll get 25-30 pts. a year and provide a hard forecheck and once in a while drop the gloves. Ward has to prove he's even a 4th line player and his not having a good camp is not a good thing.

Old
09-17-2005, 06:37 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinland
How is Bruce Graham doing in camp?
Thanks
very good

a reporter there thinks he's been better then jessiman, offensive game has looked good, just needs to bulk

Old
09-17-2005, 08:52 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
yea but Bahensky CAN play in Hartford since he was drafted out of europe. Sather should sign him and send him to the Pack since he was playing well in camp. Sather should reward the players in camp if they play well.
There isn't umlimited space in Hartford, either. Maybe, they've decided that Bahensky is better served getting another year in juniors. Perhaps the choice came down to keeping Graham around, who they might offer a contract to play in Hartford, as opposed to Bahensky, whose junior eligibility they can still utilize.

Old
09-17-2005, 08:53 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
This works for me. Marginal player = no multi-year contract. Want to take a chance on someone? Sign him for one year. With Ward he's pretty much got the same contract as Nieminen (relatively the same age) who at least has proven he is a legitimate 3rd line NHL player.
He'll get 25-30 pts. a year and provide a hard forecheck and once in a while drop the gloves. Ward has to prove he's even a 4th line player and his not having a good camp is not a good thing.
If it were big money, I would absolutely agree with you. But we're talking about less than twice the minimum. The second year is probably the reason he came here. If it works out, great - we have a steal. If not, the only downside is that our cap number next year is $30.7MM as opposed to $30.0MM (the numbers are just examples obviously). As I said, it's a no risk move.

Old
09-18-2005, 07:07 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
If it were big money, I would absolutely agree with you. But we're talking about less than twice the minimum. The second year is probably the reason he came here. If it works out, great - we have a steal. If not, the only downside is that our cap number next year is $30.7MM as opposed to $30.0MM (the numbers are just examples obviously). As I said, it's a no risk move.
Well if the Rangers want to make a move next summer on some guy (say a Gaborik--I don't know what his contract status is I'm only using him as an example) that moves us over the max on the cap then we're going to have to trade someone or just forget making such a move and if nobody wants Ward it means someone else gets traded and we're still stuck with a player useless to us. For the life of me I can't figure this signing out for the years or the money. Ward has proven nothing so far.

Old
09-18-2005, 10:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jason Ward counts against the Rangers cap only if he is on the Rangers.If he is assigned to Hartford,he doesn't count against the Rangers cap.Ward's cap number $637,500.If is sent down to Hartford and is recalled by the Rangers,Ward must clear waivers on the re-entry and when/if he gets sent down for a second time.If he is claimed,the Rangers would be responsible for 50% of Ward's salary.Not that big of a deal

Closed Thread