HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Elias/Jagr/Captaincy

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2005, 04:10 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Elias/Jagr/Captaincy

Elias disagrees with the Rangers' Jaromir Jagr, who said Monday that he didn't think a Czech player should be the captain in New York because of possible language problems.

"Who wouldn't want to be a captain?" he asked. "It's an honor to be captain of a team (Devils) that has done so well and that focuses so much on loyalty, dedication, hard work."
(A shot at the Rangers? maybe.)

"I'm obviously Czech and I've been here for 10 years," Elias said. "I've been a big part of this team. I've been here through winning and losing and I don't care about that [speaking a different language]."

Old
09-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I think it really depends on the individual and that Jagr should only be speaking for himself. He's made it very clear that he doesn't want to be captain of the New York Rangers and that's fine. But, he shouldn't be projecting what he wants for himself onto others who may very well be named captain.

Old
09-15-2005, 04:34 PM
True Blue

One player wants to lead his team to greatness and one just wants to score great goals.

Old
09-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Rumblick

I think if you've been here as long as those two, language shouldn't be an issue.

Old
09-15-2005, 07:53 PM
shoothepuck

Language isn't the issue, it's a winning attitude, and wanting to be the captain of your team. One does and one dosn't

Old
09-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Fletch

I admire Jagr...

for saying publicly that he ain't the right one for the job. It takes a bit to publicly turn that honor down.

Old
09-16-2005, 12:11 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Elias is an ***. He should shut his mouth, especially when talking about one of the best players of the past decade.

Old
09-16-2005, 09:47 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
Elias is an ***. He should shut his mouth, especially when talking about one of the best players of the past decade.
Come again? Where exactly does Elias talk about Jagr? And, at least personally, I would take Elias on my team over Jagr any day of the week. Eias is a gritty forward, who is not afraid to get his nose dirty and understands the value of two-way play. He does not hang his defensemen out. The fact that Elias is not afraid to lead is more if a testament to him.

Old
09-16-2005, 09:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Come again? Where exactly does Elias talk about Jagr? And, at least personally, I would take Elias on my team over Jagr any day of the week. Eias is a gritty forward, who is not afraid to get his nose dirty and understands the value of two-way play. He does not hang his defensemen out. The fact that Elias is not afraid to lead is more if a testament to him.
I don't know if I would take him over Jagr but you gotta respect the guy. Good player and, even though he's probably not going to be in the line up opening night, he's been one of the more vocal Devils throughout training camp. And that's a team with a serious leadership vacuum with Niedermeyer and Stevens gone. Elias is at least trying to step up.

Old
09-16-2005, 09:58 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I don't know if I would take him over Jagr but you gotta respect the guy.
If this is EA Sports, I would take Jagr. If you are talking about real life, I would take Elias. Off course Jagr is the more talented player and FAR better offensively. However, I view Elias as the far more complete player. And you know how I love those one dimensional dandies like Jagr.

Old
09-16-2005, 10:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I agree that Elias is the more complete player but I have wonder about him what I wonder about other Devil players can they function outside the system they have in NJ?

Old
09-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Fletch

Depends on what you're looking for...

I'd take Elias over Jagr just because you'll get more years out of Elias. But if I put those two in the same situation this coming year (and let's say Elias is healthy), I'd bet Jagr's team would do a good deal better than Elias'. Yeah, Elias is more complete. He hits more. He plays better defense, etc. Big deal in the end. Jagr puts defenses and the forwards that face him on the back of their skates and focuses their attention on him. More time is spent in the offensive zone, as opposed to the defensive zone, limited the chances against. Look at Jagr's +/- generally throughout his career...while +/- isn't indicative to me of a player's defense, it is a precise measure of the amount of goals one is on the ice for at even strength for and against. He's been mostly a plus player, and has played on teams that haven't had great goalies, or great defensive systems, or great defensemen. Put Elias in the same situation, and I don't think that happens. He has a very good +/-, but he's had Brodeur behind him and usually 3 or 4 other decent players on the ice with him playing a chesive system.

Closed Thread