HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quintal comments on Higgins

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 12:32 PM
SuperUnknown

vCash: 500
Quintal comments on Higgins

Here is what Quintal said about last night's game when talking about the forwards play on defense, including a snippet on Higgins: (Taken from www.radio-canada.ca)

«Quand les gars complètent leurs mises en échec, quand ils ne paniquent pas avec rondelle, tout va pour le mieux. Prenez Chris Higgins par exemple. En voilà un qui n'a rien fait de spectaculaire, mais qui a fait son travail de manière intelligente et toujours propre. Il m'impressionne de plus en plus.»

(Quick home-made translation: "When the players complete their checks, when they don't panic with the puck, everything goes well. Take Chris Higgins, here's a player who didn't do anything spectacular, but who did play in an intelligent and clean manner. He impresses me more and more.")

Maybe Higgins will stick longer with the team then many of us think. He might not light it up this year, but if he does everything the coach asks him to, why would we send him down?

Old
10-04-2003, 12:41 PM
tinyzombies

He needs lots of scoring line minutes and we don't ahve room in Montreal. He also needs to get some NHL 82 game legs. There's no rush.

In the ten years since Selanne and Mogilny made a huge splash as rookies, the only other forward who has impressed all that much is Gomez with 70 pts.

In today's NHL, it's the kids who have to catch up to teh well-conditioned veterans, not the other way around like it used to be.

Old
10-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Corey

I agree. Julien hasn't given him the opportunity to play with gifted offensive partners but instead has saddled him with Blouin, Dwyer, Carpentier, and Ferland. As a result he han't been able to score or set up goals or even get a rhythm. A stretch in the AHL on a top line would do him good. He wouldn't be facing top quality veterans but he'd be head-tohead with some of the best prospects of other NHL teams.

Old
10-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves

In the ten years since Selanne and Mogilny made a huge splash as rookies, the only other forward who has impressed all that much is Gomez with 70 pts.
Open your eyes .

Old
10-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves

In today's NHL, it's the kids who have to catch up to teh well-conditioned veterans, not the other way around like it used to be.

Yeah, lets make a short list..

Heatley.. Thornton, Samsonov..Iginala,Hejduk..Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Richards, Hossa, Gagne, Lecavallier .. etc etc etc...

They all suck. I can see how Gomez would top your list. There is absolutely no talent since Mogilny and Selanne made the leap to the NHL.

If Gomez would have been at the AllStar Game last year, he would have smashed Heatley's goal total.

All the above players have not panned out at all. They could only wish to have the skills Scotty Gomez does. Matter of fact, they should change the name of the Maurice Richard trophy, to the Scotty Gomez.

All hail Gomez.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:29 AM
Proffessor G DIDDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs

Heatley.. Thornton, Samsonov..Iginala,Hejduk..Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Richards, Hossa, Gagne, Lecavallier .. etc etc etc...

They all suck. I can see how Gomez would top your list. There is absolutely no talent since Mogilny and Selanne made the leap to the NHL.

If Gomez would have been at the AllStar Game last year, he would have smashed Heatley's goal total.

All the above players have not panned out at all. They could only wish to have the skills Scotty Gomez does. Matter of fact, they should change the name of the Maurice Richard trophy, to the Scotty Gomez.

All hail Gomez.
I have to admit the quality of performance from top rookies have declined, a lot of those players are in the 3rd season and above and now they start to put up points. Where as guys like Selanne, Mogilny etc put up 70 points in their debut season. The main reason is referee's and the NHL not allowing forechecking.

But I think over the next 2 drafts, guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, Wolski, Fluery, Coburn, Malkin, Schremp etc will have an rookie huge impact.

Old
10-05-2003, 07:30 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:

All hail Gomez.
I think you misunderstood his point. He is saying that players in their first year are not having great seasons the way Gomez, Mogilny and Selanne did. It used to be fairly common that a highly rated rookie could hop in and put up some great numbers, where as now even the highly rated rookies usually take 2 to 3 years to really be a force. Thornton had a very so so rookie season, Samsonov was only okay, Iginla was nothing special his first year. Yes these players are stars now but in their first seasons they were not huge factors.

Old
10-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Jag68Sid87

Perhaps if Higgins hasn't gotten any minutes with scoring forwards in preseason means that the coaching staff wants to see what Higgins can do on a checking line. Why must Higgins challenge for the Calder trophy as a rookie? Why couldn't he be a role player in Year 1? Doug Gilmour was a checking-line center in his first season in the NHL. Joe Thornton played on the fourth line as an NHL rookie. Neither player came close to winning the Calder, yet their careers panned out all right.

Sometimes, young players just need to play at the NHL level, gain the invaluable experience of life in the big league and learn learn learn. Higgins seems like an intelligent enough athlete that could afford to skip the minor-pro game altogether. He's also very versatile and that can only help the Canadiens.

If he hasn't looked out of place, I don't see why the Canadiens wouldn't start Higgins at the NHL level. I know that big financial decisions would have to be made in the coming days but if management is serious about playing the "best" players this season, regardless of contract status or experience, then I think it's safe to say Higgins, Plekanec and Ryder are starting the season in Montreal. However, we've seen in the past how politics get tangled in roster decisions.

Old
10-05-2003, 08:18 AM
ttnorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Perhaps if Higgins hasn't gotten any minutes with scoring forwards in preseason means that the coaching staff wants to see what Higgins can do on a checking line. Why must Higgins challenge for the Calder trophy as a rookie? Why couldn't he be a role player in Year 1?
Because he won't do it well. As I have said before, if Higgins is one of the better defensive players, the Habs season is lost. He is 20 years old, one year removed from a primarily offensive role in NCAA, no where near as strong as he will be in 2-3 years. If a young player like Higgins is good enough, it will be playing to his strength - PP, shooting and creating.

Old
10-05-2003, 11:48 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:

All hail Gomez.
LOL awesome post!

Man you completely missed rakes point, but it's alright. Rake was saying 1st year players. All of those name cept Kovalchuk had not so great first years. Selanne, Mogilny and Gomez(I beleive) played in the NHL that year of there draft and played awesome, none of those players with the exception of Kovalchuk had nothing on there first year. Kovalchuk only had what 50 some odd points? So Rake madea good point, you just didn't see it.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:42 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnorm
Because he won't do it well. As I have said before, if Higgins is one of the better defensive players, the Habs season is lost. He is 20 years old, one year removed from a primarily offensive role in NCAA, no where near as strong as he will be in 2-3 years. If a young player like Higgins is good enough, it will be playing to his strength - PP, shooting and creating.
Actually Higgins was the BEST defensive player on the WJC-20 USA team. He was also used in every aspect of the game on his NCAA team. The biggest flaw in his game is that he's not forechecking enough yet. Maybe Montreal wants to keep him and develop that aspect of his game?

Old
10-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
LOL awesome post!

Man you completely missed rakes point, but it's alright. Rake was saying 1st year players. All of those name cept Kovalchuk had not so great first years. Selanne, Mogilny and Gomez(I beleive) played in the NHL that year of there draft and played awesome, none of those players with the exception of Kovalchuk had nothing on there first year. Kovalchuk only had what 50 some odd points? So Rake madea good point, you just didn't see it.
Doh! I apologize then!

Sorry Rake!

Old
10-05-2003, 03:16 PM
ttnorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Actually Higgins was the BEST defensive player on the WJC-20 USA team. He was also used in every aspect of the game on his NCAA team. The biggest flaw in his game is that he's not forechecking enough yet. Maybe Montreal wants to keep him and develop that aspect of his game?
Higgins was a good NCAA defensive forward. I should know as I had Yale season tix last year. But he was on a dominant line which had possession of the puck most of the time he was out there. On the PK, he was solid but his strengths were as an aggressive PKer who could turn any soft pass into a SH breakaway. That was NCAA, this isn't.

Not forechecking? What do you expect with linemates like Blouin, etc.? Forechecking is all about decision making. Pressure when your teammates are in a position to take advantage, don't get yourself caught when the other team has the time and space to take advantage. Put him on a forechecking line and you'd see the difference.

What worries me is the expectation that this kid will be Peca this year when his game has never been anything like Peca's. That would have 18-20 points and -25 written all over it. And the comparisons to Chouinard and the boos wouldn't be far behind. Perfect way to screw up a top prospect. Fortunately, I don't think that is what the brass will do. Higgins is going to and should stay in Hamilton until a 2nd line spot opens that he is good enough to fit into.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:43 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Well, of all those rookies mentioned, only Heatley, Kovalchuk (until he seperated his shoulder) and Gomez had brilliant rookie years. But, geez, scoring and times have changed. Mogilny was not a 70-pt. rookie back in 1989-90 (he had 43 pts. in 65 games) and 92/93 was actually his 4th season (and he had 76 G and 127 pts. in just 77 games). Selanne is really the only rookie to have superstar impact right away in the NHL (though Lindros came close with some injury-shortened campaigns) since the 90s began with 76 G and 132 pts. ion 84 games. Higgins could use some AHL seasoning but could come around next year. No rush and if people can shut up with their pressure tactics (ie, the media), Higgins will develop into a fine two-way player, try John Madden with better scoring skills.

Closed Thread