HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eakins cold-called Dallas Cowboys' HC, sits in on Cowboys' TC

Old
08-03-2014, 11:16 PM
GMofOilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Oh my god, he visited some other sports team's training camp. Give it a rest.
We need a good coach, not a maybe/could be good coach.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 11:44 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Amazing how a simple thing like this gives "some kind of ammo " to people that want to criticize him.

I can already see this being brought up when the Oilers are in a 3 or 4 game losing skid.

Gotta love HF Oil. It's kinda cute, really.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Zap Brannigan

I bet Jason Garrett gets fired before Eakins does

Zap Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 11:49 PM
JaredCowenFan

Whatever helps us in the long run, is something we should do.

Mr. Great Hair.

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 11:52 PM
ChaoticOrange
HFB Partner

The desire to learn and improve should never be looked down on. Eakins, whatever his faults may be, has done something good here.

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
Oh, like a standard fan has the right to comment on the coaching intelligence of an NHL level coach.
What a strange comment.

Is there a tier fan classification immediately forthcoming?

As far as the thread Cloned is one of the most positive posters ever to grace these pages. That even he has been influenced by this sad sack org to start being cynical is telling.

Can't really see why Eakins would do this. I'd rather see him preparing for the hockey season and I mean properly preparing for it this year. Last year its known he came into Edmonton at the last minute and about a week before TC. Which was just a complete joke and I said so at the time.

Eakins should be spending the entire month of August honing the valid systems this team will be playing with his coaching staff, that and going over game films of where it all went wrong before. I'm completely serious stating this. This coaching staff needs to get the players going at a running start this year and with none of the confusion so evident last year.

Last edited by Replacement: 08-04-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten

vCash: 2739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
What a strange comment.

Is there a tier fan classification immediately forthcoming?

As far as the thread Cloned is one of the most positive posters ever to grace these pages. That even he has been influenced by this sad sack org to start being cynical is telling.

Can't really see why Eakins would do this. I'd rather see him preparing for the hockey season and I mean properly preparing for it this year. Last year its known he came into Edmonton at the last minute and about a week before TC. Which was just a complete joke and I said so at the time.

Eakins should be spending the entire month of August honing the valid systems this team will be playing with his coaching staff, that and going over game films of where it all went wrong before. I'm completely serious stating this. This coaching staff needs to get the players going at a running start this year and with none of the confusion so evident last year.
Oh please. So Eakins has to spend 24/7 on building systems? As if doing nothing but that for all of the summer months would even be a benefit. He doesn't even have access to his players now. Maybe we can find out if he takes a vacation with his family so we can rail against him for not staring at a chalk board for those weeks.

This is just a fluff piece. If anyone has an anti-Eakins agenda you can make this opinion well known without making absolutely every topic about Eakins into that.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 12:48 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Wow...I am beginning to think that HF stands for Hyperbole Forums.

What a joke that some posters are trying so desperately to spin this non story (in terms of importance) into a negative just to support their narrative.

I know its the off season, and some posters are clearly bored to death, but the effort being put into spinning this is embarrassing.

Last edited by guymez: 08-04-2014 at 01:03 AM.
guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Dallas Eakins is like that dweeb at school that keeps finding new reasons for the other kids to make fun of him about. And at one point everyone thinks 'I swear this guy's trying to get made fun of'

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 01:11 AM
ADifferentTim
Knowledgeable & Pure

vCash: 100
Safe to say Eakins and Garrett feel the pressure of returning to their respective leagues' playoffs, especially when the Oilers are lauded as "Alberta's Team" and the Cowboys have the self-proclaimed title "America's Team".

While my allegiances do not belong to the Oilers and the Cowboys, I fully understand the NHL is serious business in Edmonton; likewise for the NFL in Dallas.

ADifferentTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 01:15 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Oh please. So Eakins has to spend 24/7 on building systems? As if doing nothing but that for all of the summer months would even be a benefit. He doesn't even have access to his players now. Maybe we can find out if he takes a vacation with his family so we can rail against him for not staring at a chalk board for those weeks.

This is just a fluff piece. If anyone has an anti-Eakins agenda you can make this opinion well known without making absolutely every topic about Eakins into that.
Agree completely.

I feel like I am getting dumber just reading some of the baseless comments in this thread.

I am enjoying the summer way too much to wish the season were starting and threads were a little more hockey relevant...must be time for a HF break.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 01:20 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Horrendous. Abomination. Disgusting. Revolting. Outrageous. Debacle. Unpalatable. Repulsive. Despicable. Odious. Abhorrent.

These are the words that came to mind when I read this news. How dare Eakins drag the Oilers franchise through the mud by doing something like this. If MacT doesn't see this as the last straw to break the camel's back.. well I just don't know what i'll do with myself.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 01:34 AM
Gord
Tesla

geeze guys. get off Eakins back.
a guy spending a day or two at the cowboys training camp in the off season and you're making it seem like killed your dog.
I know many of you hate him, but he doesn't deserve this crap for everything he does.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

I think we should all burn a effigy of him and we would all feel better. I will bring the lighter.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:05 AM
McRattsSSV
Loyal to the Oil

vCash: 99
Looks like some posters let their prescriptions run out.

As for why the Cowboys? Probably because its easier to relate to someone in a similar situation.

McRattsSSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:54 AM
YesYesYall

Let's just be honest with ourselves; some teams are just going to be bad for a while (in our case, a long while) and, at the same time, some teams will go through intervals of highly competitive hockey.

YesYesYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 03:00 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Just shows a person how little the guy actually knew when he took the job.
Uhhh, this goes to show that?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 03:06 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I see this as a negative, not the same way others do. I think talking to other coaches in other sports is a neat concept. However, why the hell did he pick Jason Garret!

It would have been nice if he did this with a good NFL coach and not another buffoon!

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 03:23 AM
Section337

Based on the following ESPN blurb:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...espnapi_public

Guessing he may have chosen Garrett since he appears to be a guy who likes to talk to coaches from other sports.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 03:36 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post

Vacation? He hasn't had a flipping meaningful thing to do since last October since he's a horrible coach and managed to deepsix a club within the space of the first month of regular season play.

Yeah he damn well better be involved with his coaching staff in devising a better system than what was used last season.

Eakins was an abject failure as a coach last season. I suspect we won't see much different this time around. But I guess I still hold false hope the club might actually be adequately prepared this season.

Or at least a bit more than last..

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...rs-bench-boss/

Last edited by Replacement: 08-04-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old
08-04-2014, 03:39 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
geeze guys. get off Eakins back.
a guy spending a day or two at the cowboys training camp in the off season and you're making it seem like killed your dog.
I know many of you hate him, but he doesn't deserve this crap for everything he does.
Sure he does. Worst coach in the history of this org and should've been fired long ago.

Complete joke of a coach goes to another complete joke of a coach to learn how not to be a complete joke of a coach.

Must be something missing.

This stuff is funny even if it involves this club continuing to suck. Unfortunately the Oilers are a comedy routine.

Old
08-04-2014, 04:05 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Guess I will try to clarify my position a little, since this thread exploded after I posted it.

First, thanks to Replacement for defending me, although I'm not even sure if some of the comments were directed towards me specifically.

My point wasn't to take a molehill and turn it into a mountain of criticism. There were a few reasons I posted this thread:

1. To inform
2. To spark discussion
3. To make my opinion known

My opinion is that what Eakins did is a little weird. It's out of the norm, it's strange. It may or may not work. I found it interesting that he picked American football, that he picked the Cowboys. It's certainly not above criticism.

Most of us have been here long enough. We should be able to discuss a topic without labelling each other or jumping to sweeping generalizations about a poster's intent (and I'm not talking about my intent here, just noticing that a few posters got jumped on in this thread for posting an opinion one way or the other).

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 04:15 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
My opinion is that what Eakins did is a little weird. It's out of the norm, it's strange. It may or may not work. I found it interesting that he picked American football, that he picked the Cowboys. It's certainly not above criticism.
What is there to criticize?

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 04:21 AM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
ITT I learned that jobs are 24/7, 365 days a year and no vacations.

Guess I better start staring at diagrams of pallets all day.

April McEthereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 04:23 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
What is there to criticize?
Personally?

- That he called a coach of a NFL team. NFL is about as different of a sport and game from the NHL as you can get in North America. It's a series of set plays with a play clock.

- That he wanted to sit in on training camp of a NFL team. I'm finding it difficult to see the applications to a NHL roster/TC to be made from this.

- That he picked the Cowboys, who have had coaching and management problems recently.

- That this could be time better spent.

Of course I'm no certified expert on the subject matter, and we don't even know what exactly was discussed. That's why I'm not going to proclaim that it's going to help or not. But it's not something that you can just hold up and say "well, he did it and there's nothing wrong with it." That's short-sighted as well.

I'm not trying to push my opinion on others here. You can interpret the situation how you see fit. The point is that this is something that can be discussed. It's not above criticism or discussion.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote