HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eakins cold-called Dallas Cowboys' HC, sits in on Cowboys' TC

Old
08-04-2014, 04:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Personally?

- That he called a coach of a NFL team. NFL is about as different of a sport and game from the NHL as you can get in North America. It's a series of set plays with a play clock.

- That he wanted to sit in on training camp of a NFL team. I'm finding it difficult to see the applications to a NHL roster/TC to be made from this.

- That he picked the Cowboys, who have had coaching and management problems recently.

- That this could be time better spent.

Of course I'm no certified expert on the subject matter, and we don't even know what exactly was discussed. That's why I'm not going to proclaim that it's going to help or not. But it's not something that you can just hold up and say "well, he did it and there's nothing wrong with it." That's short-sighted as well.

I'm not trying to push my opinion on others here. You can interpret the situation how you see fit. The point is that this is something that can be discussed. It's not above criticism or discussion.
Seems odd to have to defend engaging discussion on a discussion based fan board.

Must be us being strange..

Dallas does Dallas, speaking of strange.

PS He should've picked Premiership and Krueger and picked his brain for more on everything that went wrong last season...that would at least offer perfect irony and even better laughs.

Last edited by Replacement: 08-04-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 05:03 AM
OiledUp

Oh come on. He's visiting the Cowboys. Why complain about that? He's looking to improve any way he can, that's a good thing. Yeah football is a different sport in a lot of ways, but it's still a pro sport with big organizations. Ofc there are things to learn. Hell, one of his biggest issues last season seemed to be his connection with the players, that's certainly an area where you can learn from watching other sports. Where do you find bigger egos and weirder personalities than in the NFL?
I doubt he went to Dallas to learn about hockey tactics.

This is just personal bias and a chance to be complaining about Eakins based on his performance last year.

I think he did a terrible job last season, I think my posting history can vouch for that, but come on. How is wanting to get better and thinking outside the box when doing so a problem? At least he doesn't sit at home thinking he's got it all figured out. To me this is somewhat encouraging.

Confirmation bias is seldom more obvious than with fans watching their own team.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 05:13 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Oh come on. He's visiting the Cowboys. Why complain about that? He's looking to improve any way he can, that's a good thing. Yeah football is a different sport in a lot of ways, but it's still a pro sport with big organizations. Ofc there are things to learn. Hell, one of his biggest issues last season seemed to be his connection with the players, that's certainly an area where you can learn from watching other sports. Where do you find bigger egos and weirder personalities than in the NFL?
I doubt he went to Dallas to learn about hockey tactics.

This is just personal bias and a chance to be complaining about Eakins based on his performance last year.

I think he did a terrible job last season, I think my posting history can vouch for that, but come on. How is wanting to get better and thinking outside the box when doing so a problem? At least he doesn't sit at home thinking he's got it all figured out. To me this is somewhat encouraging.

Confirmation bias is seldom more obvious than with fans watching their own team.
I haven't mentioned his performance last year at all in this thread.

You're jumping to conclusions about my opinion based on your bias towards the way posters tend to post on HF.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 06:00 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Just shows a person how little the guy actually knew when he took the job.
Not sure if serious...

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 06:21 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
I haven't mentioned his performance last year at all in this thread.

You're jumping to conclusions about my opinion based on your bias towards the way posters tend to post on HF.
Haha. Well I guess you have a point. However you don't really have to mention potential bias to actually have bias.
You clearly have the right to your opinion, I disagree with your conclusion since I like when people are looking for ways to develop but that's fine, no point in a forum if everyone agrees.
My guess is you wouldn't have been as sceptical if this was Daryl Sutter. I may very well be wrong but you not mentioning last season doesn't automatically make it a non factor in how you've come to form your opinion.

Btw my post wasn't directly pointed at you since you at least gave a few reasons to why you think it's a stupid idea to visit the Cowboys.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 08:17 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
What is there to criticize?
No kidding.

Some posters here are just drama queens. Obviously what Eakins did last year didn't work so he's trying something outside the box. My guess is it's helping him learn how to manage a roster and keep things in check.

Ideally, IMO, the team should have kept Krueger on the team in some capacity but whatever, that's over.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 09:17 AM
jeety mcjeet

I'm not a fan of Dallas Eakins by any measurement but I really like this move by him. It indicates he's willing to grow and learn and shows commitment. Good on him, now win some ****ing hockey games.

jeety mcjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Wretched Oil

I think its a neat idea.

Sure its a different culture and sport, but there has to be opportunity to learn from a different group of athletes.

How do you know unless you try? There may be general ideas that help making set plays, strength conditioning, team building exercises, injury prevention, or strategies for players and coaches.

Sometimes when your inside the hockey bubble it confines you. Then you cant stop being negative and trolling your favorite team...

I disagree that this is a waste of time, and think its positive.

Wretched Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Dynamic

Send a message via MSN to Dynamic
Thinking outside the box and having original thoughts are a good thing. People who are willing to admit they have something to learn are way more valuable in almost any situation that I have come across. Many of these fans remind me of people at work that spend all day critiquing management but contribute NOTHING but negativity.

Dynamic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 09:51 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Dallas Eakins is like that dweeb at school that keeps finding new reasons for the other kids to make fun of him about. And at one point everyone thinks 'I swear this guy's trying to get made fun of'
More like some posters on HFOil are dweebs or should i say drama queens for finding any reason to criticize a man who is doing whatever he can to become a better coach.

It might be unorthodox but I don't see how anybody can turn this into a negative. Some of these threads have been progressively harder to read because of the mob mentality around here. I know that the Oilers have sucked for what seems like a lifetime and Eakins was a part of that last season but jeez, some of you should lighten up a bit.

The one criticism i can see here is that he should have been picking a smarter football brain like Belichek, not a mediocre one like Garrett. Otherwise, i don't see what there is to make fun of here.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 09:52 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

The usual suspects are trying to spin something like this into an Eakins bash-fest. It's no wonder that this place has lost a lot of quality posters.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Newfy IceCapd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
I think we should all burn a effigy of him and we would all feel better. I will bring the lighter.
i got the toupee

Newfy IceCapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Wretched Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
The usual suspects are trying to spin something like this into an Eakins bash-fest. It's no wonder that this place has lost a lot of quality posters.
I agree!
Once a year HFOil should hold a ban poll...

Eakins may sound arrogant at times, but at least he admits when he's wrong and is willing to try new things. It's better than banging your head against the wall.

Wretched Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 10:20 AM
GMofOilers

Just dont know why we have a coach learning how to coach instead of a proven coach?

Terrible hiring at the time, should of been fired for being in way over his head, and yet he gets another chance?

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 10:28 AM
doulos

On NHL Radio they were discussing how the top coaches in the league were fans of coaches in other sports. Read their books, followed their tactics, tried to emulate their coaching strategies.

I`m not an Eakins fan at all, but this bumps him up a notch in my book. The best in any field never stop learning, never stop finding ways to improve themselves, and think outside of the box to do so.

Criticising him for finding even more ways to improve as a coach is a very odd thing to do as far as I am concerned.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 10:29 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Just dont know why we have a coach learning how to coach instead of a proven coach?

Terrible hiring at the time, should of been fired for being in way over his head, and yet he gets another chance?
The best of the best never stop learning. I'm no fan of Eakins, but this is EXACTLY what good coaches do.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 10:39 AM
why now

So a coach that is roundly critiqued for not being good enough goes out and tries to become better. Then that same coach get roundly critiqued for trying to find unique perspectives and ways to become better. Hmmm. This place makes more and more sense all the time.

And by the way, the best if the best continually learn. They continually educate themselves. Only the mediocre sit back and say that they are "fully developed." Dallas is not by any stretch the best NHL coach, but thank goodness he is trying to become one of them.

why now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 10:50 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by why now View Post
So a coach that is roundly critiqued for not being good enough goes out and tries to become better. Then that same coach get roundly critiqued for trying to find unique perspectives and ways to become better. Hmmm. This place makes more and more sense all the time.

And by the way, the best if the best continually learn. They continually educate themselves. Only the mediocre sit back and say that they are "fully developed." Dallas is not by any stretch the best NHL coach, but thank goodness he is trying to become one of them.
No no...you have it all wrong. Its odd and weird that Eakins is thinking outside of the box. He should know better than to do that. It speaks to his incompetence and reinforces the fact that he should have been fired a long time ago.

I hope I did that right.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
It's hilarious the attempts to turn this into a bad thing.

Babcock doing this would induce marriage proposals on hf.
Pretty much this. It's just popular to crap on Eakins, he did absolutely nothing wrong here. Guy is thinking outside the box, it's good to see. Maybe you know, he's learning.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 11:04 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Eakins was particularly interested in how Garrett handles his enormous coaching staff, consisting of a staggering 22 assistants according to the club’s directory. They range in age from 28 to 74. In Garrett’s words, according to ESPN’s Dallas-Fort Worth outlet:

“One of the first things [Eakins] said to me is, he sat in a lot of the different meetings and he said ‘There’s unbelievable diversity on your staff — old guys, young guys, guys who have come from different places. Different philosophies, different coaching and teaching styles.’ We have done that, whether it’s very, very consciously in every decision, I don’t know if that’s the case, but I do believe that’s important. You want to be able to reach the players and touch the players a lot of different ways. If I tried to hire everybody who was exactly like me, that would be a really, really bad thing. If we tried to hire everybody who was exactly like some model, that would be a bad thing. You want to have guys who have different personalities and somehow touch the guys differently. I think we’ve done that. It was interesting to me that he recognized that.”
— Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett

Quote:
If there’s one thing he learned in his first year behind Oilers’ bench, it’s that he and his staff need to be better. He has taken steps to upgrade that staff, and appears to be hard at work at the “personal development” side of the equation.
Makes me wonder if some posters (OP included) even bothered to read the article.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Thanks for some of your clarifying remarks Cloned.

Done in typical, well thought out Cloned fashion which gives some temperament to this situation that is called a thread.

But one critique I would like to make is:

Cloned!!!!! What in hell's tarnation are you thinking posting something like this, as a thread yet, when you of all particularly intelligent posters know that this will start some kind of new anti Eakins campaign?

Now it gives all posters open venue to rant and complain about how Eakins should be the picture of perfection in not just a coach, but a husband, father, and person in general.

See Cloned.....now I'M doing it......damned you.

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 11:21 AM
topchowda

He's probaly seeing how incorporate some football moves for guys like Draisaitl, Yakimov, Klefbom, Nurse and Khaira since they are all built like trucks

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
There's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third. There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There. That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third.
"Um, are you guys working?"
"Yes, sir."
"Can you . . . work any harder?"
"Sure thing, boss!"

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by why now View Post

Meh. How about: he's on holidays, his a Cowboys fan, and for the first time he's got the pull to get inside. Nothing more.

No seriously, if he's trying to improve then good for him. God knows he needs too. His career may be on the line this year.

Last edited by Up the Irons: 08-04-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 11:55 AM
oilz89

Quote:
Personally?

- That he called a coach of a NFL team. NFL is about as different of a sport and game from the NHL as you can get in North America. It's a series of set plays with a play clock.

- That he wanted to sit in on training camp of a NFL team. I'm finding it difficult to see the applications to a NHL roster/TC to be made from this.

- That he picked the Cowboys, who have had coaching and management problems recently.

- That this could be time better spent.

Of course I'm no certified expert on the subject matter, and we don't even know what exactly was discussed. That's why I'm not going to proclaim that it's going to help or not. But it's not something that you can just hold up and say "well, he did it and there's nothing wrong with it." That's short-sighted as well.

I'm not trying to push my opinion on others here. You can interpret the situation how you see fit. The point is that this is something that can be discussed. It's not above criticism or discussion.
Wait what? You have a problem with this? What is so bad about this what's there to criticize about this? theres something wrong with you

oilz89 is offline   Reply With Quote