HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eakins cold-called Dallas Cowboys' HC, sits in on Cowboys' TC

Old
08-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilz89 View Post
Wait what? You have a problem with this? What is so bad about this what's there to criticize about this? theres something wrong with you
I'm surprised the whole "Dallas Eakins just picked the Dallas Cowboys because he and the city share the same name. It's feeding his ego and he needs to go" excuse hasn't been fully fleshed out yet by the bleeding-heart Eakins haters.

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 12:38 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Personally?

- That he called a coach of a NFL team. NFL is about as different of a sport and game from the NHL as you can get in North America. It's a series of set plays with a play clock.

- That he wanted to sit in on training camp of a NFL team. I'm finding it difficult to see the applications to a NHL roster/TC to be made from this.

- That he picked the Cowboys, who have had coaching and management problems recently.

- That this could be time better spent.

Of course I'm no certified expert on the subject matter, and we don't even know what exactly was discussed. That's why I'm not going to proclaim that it's going to help or not. But it's not something that you can just hold up and say "well, he did it and there's nothing wrong with it." That's short-sighted as well.

I'm not trying to push my opinion on others here. You can interpret the situation how you see fit. The point is that this is something that can be discussed. It's not above criticism or discussion.
I don't think he went there for any kind of strategy.

I'd bet he was mainly just interested in the dynamics between players and coaches(and/or even between coaches). Like the article said, the Cowboys and Oilers coaching staffs are fairly similar. Garrett and Eakins are basically kindred spirits and both staffs have a wide range in age. Going to a better team's practise probably wouldn't change what he got out of it.

When Eakins doesn't have access to the players yet, there's only so much he can do. He isn't going to be working on systems or whatever seven days a week the whole summer. A few days in Dallas isn't going to hurt.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I don't think he went there for any kind of strategy.

I'd bet he was mainly just interested in the dynamics between players and coaches(and/or even between coaches). Like the article said, the Cowboys and Oilers coaching staffs are fairly similar. Garrett and Eakins are basically kindred spirits and both staffs have a wide range in age. Going to a better team's practise probably wouldn't change what he got out of it.

When Eakins doesn't have access to the players yet, there's only so much he can do. He isn't going to be working on systems or whatever seven days a week the whole summer. A few days in Dallas isn't going to hurt.

Joking aside you perhaps forget that Eakins self described calling card was his self assessed ability to work with players individually to give them exactly what they needed to have success.
That Eakins asserted main attribute was so obviously misrepresented and that he now figures he needs to go looking at how other coaches handle players is interesting, and perhaps indication of wanting to improve its also indication he's a huckster that simply got this gig on his ability and gift for gab. Which I stated at the time.

The snakeoil salesman that landed the job is now trying to figure out some aspects of the job. A year later..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Aerchon

I don't like Eakins.

I think I would have preferred if he warm called his buddy Hitchcock. A proven NHL coach.

But.

I can't really fault him for improving himself even in this rather unorthodox method.

I believe we have the roster. Friends who are avid hockey fans that follow other teams think this is the best roster Edmonton has had since its 2006 cup run.

Our success with this respectable roster will be based primarily on our coaching staff. So for all our sakes I hope stuff like this and the coaching changes to date finally get us back into the playoff picture.

Edit #1:I will also take some time to completely agree with Replacement. It is a nice change :-)

Edit #2:Someone mentioned Football and hockey being as different as possible. This I disagree with. Football is a team sport. Football is a much more tactical game than hockey, and Eakins is obviously weak tactically, so going to football actually makes a lot of sense. Football has QB's and hockey has Goalies, individuals that effect the games out come more than the rest of it's players.

While certainly very different I wouldn't say vastly different or even as remotely different as say Tennis or Golf or most other sports.

Last edited by Aerchon: 08-04-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

I see Eakins hasn't developed any self awareness to overcome his goofy geekiness since the season ended.

Good organization for Eakins to learn to accept his role with meddling from inept people higher up in the organizational executive chain though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched Oil View Post
I agree!
Once a year HFOil should hold a ban poll...

Eakins may sound arrogant at times, but at least he admits when he's wrong and is willing to try new things. It's better than banging your head against the wall.
Oh, I agree completely

First category up for a vote to be banned should totally be for all the people who spend all their time condemning and condescending to anyone who doesn't hold the same opinion as them.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Del McPreston
5-14-6-1

vCash: 319

Some of you need serious help.

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:01 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

Of course he's probably just an idiot.
Lose the probably.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Just dont know why we have a coach learning how to coach instead of a proven coach?

Terrible hiring at the time, should of been fired for being in way over his head, and yet he gets another chance?
exactly. hey, he's trying to improve and that's great, but there is too much learning on the job going on here. that's not Eakins' fault, that's on MacT.

Eakins is what he is; an inexperienced coach that thought he knew everything and got knocked down several notches in his first month on the job. Now, he's trying to get better.

We are stuck with this very unorthodox way of getting a good coach (teaching him and letting him learn on the job) because a coaching change isn't a good option, either.

Its the Oilers' way. lean on rookies and hope for the best.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:08 PM
oilz89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Just dont know why we have a coach learning how to coach instead of a proven coach?

Terrible hiring at the time, should of been fired for being in way over his head, and yet he gets another chance?
Yeah im sure when he got hired you thought it was a terrible hiring

oilz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:13 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post

QFT this board sometimes needs to learn when enough is enough.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
certainly thought it was weird to just fire Kruger for absolutely no reason, not to mention he actually had the team improve without any practices and only WC teams to compete against.

We didn't know who this Eakins was. Furthermore, it doesn't matter what we thought at the time. We are not on the payroll. I hate this argument. Like our opinion at the time excuses a crucial mistake made by Oilers' management? Sorry, it doesn't.

Mact was brought in to fix Tambo's mess and the first thing he does is weaken his coaching situation. It cost the team a year in develop, might cost more, and it almost cost his buddy, KLowe, his cushy dream job.

And we still have no idea if this guy can coach. And their answer: 'be patient. wait and see. Hope it works out for the best'.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Of course it was and I stated that here at the time going as far as to say Mact got duped by Eakins who was a complete imposter as an NHL headcoach.

Any org making such a decision to compound myriad other bad decisions deserves any scorn it gets.

Old
08-04-2014, 02:36 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post

If anyone knows my posting history, I've been as hard on this organization as anybody. But man, sometimes this place is more depressing than the team itself.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:54 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Of course it was and I stated that here at the time going as far as to say Mact got duped by Eakins who was a complete imposter as an NHL headcoach.

Any org making such a decision to compound myriad other bad decisions deserves any scorn it gets.
Does that also include Vancouver, NYR, and Dallas who were interested in Eakins too?

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Does that also include Vancouver, NYR, and Dallas who were interested in Eakins too?
You don't know how much interest those teams had. In anycase I don't blame an org for having thought of a candidate, or even interviewing a candidate. I would tend to blame an org that interviewed a candidate, that interviewed him twice, that thought he was the best thing since swiss cheese and hired him on the spot with very little other thought.

The most depressing thing being MacT stating "this guy thinks just like me" which to me means MacT has lost any former commonsense.

No wait, the worst thing was that MacT was on a shopping trip for an assistant coach and got so duped by this guy that he fired the incumbent and hired Eakins on as headcoach.

Old
08-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Thanks for some of your clarifying remarks Cloned.

Done in typical, well thought out Cloned fashion which gives some temperament to this situation that is called a thread.

But one critique I would like to make is:

Cloned!!!!! What in hell's tarnation are you thinking posting something like this, as a thread yet, when you of all particularly intelligent posters know that this will start some kind of new anti Eakins campaign?

Now it gives all posters open venue to rant and complain about how Eakins should be the picture of perfection in not just a coach, but a husband, father, and person in general.

See Cloned.....now I'M doing it......damned you.

On the contrary, I think this thread has shown exactly what kind of posters are here.

Some are quick to dismiss, some are open to discussion, some while being usually negative are not so blinded by their negativity that they blindly criticize the organization and can see value in what Eakins is doing, and some make assumptions about other posters.

I can understand most of the opinions presented in this thread, which gives me pause to reevaluate my own opinion about what happened. That's really the goal of this thread, or really should be the goal of any thread on a message board.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 03:34 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
I bet Jason Garrett gets fired before Eakins does
I wouldn't take this bet. Both of these guys are in over their heads and yet the other thing they have in common is that they are employed by very arrogant people who refuse to admit their hirings were a mistake. Garrett gets just as much flack from Cowboys fans as Eakins gets from Oilers fans yet he continues to hang in there despite all the blunders and his inability to win. That might be what appealed to Eakins about him. I imagine one of Eakins first questions was how he avoids getting fired.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Duck Holliday

I wasn't a huge Eakins fan at the end of the season last year but I think getting some ideas/input from outside hockey can't hurt.

Duck Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 05:11 PM
oilphan

Maybe he should be spending his time studying hockey film so he understands what it takes to be successful in the NHL. This is nothing more than a publicity stunt. Exactly the type of thing I would expect from him.

Next week you will see an article about how he is working with a spiritual advisor.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I see Eakins hasn't developed any self awareness to overcome his goofy geekiness since the season ended.

Good organization for Eakins to learn to accept his role with meddling from inept people higher up in the organizational executive chain though

Oh, I agree completely

First category up for a vote to be banned should totally be for all the people who spend all their time condemning and condescending to anyone who doesn't hold the same opinion as them.
How does it feel to complain about every little move or take jabs at everything related to the Oilers? I don't get how people waste so much energy being negative. Must be real fun to be around.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Pretty sure Vancouver passed on Eakins. And Tambellini multiple times too, lol. Hmmmm.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You don't know how much interest those teams had. In anycase I don't blame an org for having thought of a candidate, or even interviewing a candidate. I would tend to blame an org that interviewed a candidate, that interviewed him twice, that thought he was the best thing since swiss cheese and hired him on the spot with very little other thought.

The most depressing thing being MacT stating "this guy thinks just like me" which to me means MacT has lost any former commonsense.

No wait, the worst thing was that MacT was on a shopping trip for an assistant coach and got so duped by this guy that he fired the incumbent and hired Eakins on as headcoach.
Agreed.

Mac T tried to hard to put his stamp on the team early and because of that he made a very terrible choice.

I really like most of what Mac T has done but with his coaching change he really doomed last year and most likely this upcomming year as well.

Mac T has often gone against someone he recently claimed was safe (Bucky) but I get this feeling of dread that Mac T has invested too many strong words/support to fire Eakins before it is too late.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

This is great. The most successful people in any profession do stuff like this. I have no doubt he'll become a successful NHL coach one day - it's just a matter of if it's with the Oilers. Just because he isn't having success right now doesn't mean he won't be a great coach in the future. Look at the early years of future HOFer Bill Belichick for the Patriots

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 06:44 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Pretty sure Vancouver passed on Eakins. And Tambellini multiple times too, lol. Hmmmm.
Your using Tambellini as a POSITIVE reinforcement for you position?? Sorry Soundwave. ...credibility lost there on your part.
Lol...Tambo. BTW...I'm pretty sure it was Eakins that passed on Vancouver.

Old
08-04-2014, 06:48 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
This is great. The most successful people in any profession do stuff like this. I have no doubt he'll become a successful NHL coach one day - it's just a matter of if it's with the Oilers. Just because he isn't having success right now doesn't mean he won't be a great coach in the future. Look at the early years of future HOFer Bill Belichick for the Patriots
Agreed with this. Look at Eakin's record with the Marlies. He started off not so hot, but got increasingly better. I think he'll do the same here.