HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eakins cold-called Dallas Cowboys' HC, sits in on Cowboys' TC

Old
08-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Muscles Glasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
There's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third. There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There. That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third.
You know, there's a little place called Mary Ann's Hammocks. The nice thing about that place is Mary Ann gets in the hammock with you.

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 07:05 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
How does it feel to complain about every little move or take jabs at everything related to the Oilers? I don't get how people waste so much energy being negative. Must be real fun to be around.
I have to agree.

Eakins uses some of his time off to visit the Dallas Cowboys training camp (for self improvement purposes) and some posters see that as a negative and worthy of criticism.

Its absolutely no coincidence that said posters came into this thread with a negative opinion of Eakins and are now using this fluff piece as an excuse to further their negative agendas.

I mean if there is a justifiable reason to criticize then have at it.

How exactly this qualifies as something worthy of criticism is baffling to say the least.

This is about agendas...nothing more.

All that being said....I really dont know why I expected better.

My bad.

I am not an Eakins fan so far but the book isnt closed for me because the man is clearly motivated to improve himself.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 07:18 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Maybe he should be spending his time studying hockey film so he understands what it takes to be successful in the NHL. This is nothing more than a publicity stunt. Exactly the type of thing I would expect from him.

Next week you will see an article about how he is working with a spiritual advisor.
What makes you think he hasn't? Have you been peeking over his shoulder all summer? Seems like a trend on this board, a player/coach/management has done nothing but sit around with their thumb up their ass, and needs to spend the entire summer doing nothing but whatever the poster decrees is acceptable.

Can these people not have some down time? Can they not have lives outside of hockey? Must they break their backs every single second of the day to appease some fans? It's ridiculous. Just because these guys do some things, doesn't mean they are ignoring aspects of the game you deem worthy.

McPuritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I have to agree.

Eakins uses some of his time off to visit the Dallas Cowboys training camp (for self improvement purposes) and some posters see that as a negative and worthy of criticism.

Its absolutely no coincidence that said posters came into this thread with a negative opinion of Eakins and are now using this fluff piece as an excuse to further their negative agendas.

How exactly this qualifies as something worthy of criticism is baffling to say the least.

My bad.

I am not an Eakins fan so far but the book isnt closed for me because the man is clearly motivated to improve himself.
You want us to completely stop discussion of the matter just because our opinions don't agree with yours, and anyone who dares criticize this move is guilty of pushing negative agendas? That's honestly agenda-pushing and narrative-writing at it's fullest.

It *is* possible to disagree without one person being inherently wrong or guilty of a darker agenda.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 07:30 PM
rboomercat90

I think most of the negativity in this thread has nothing to do with Eakins choice to think outside the box and speak to a coach from a different sport. I applaud him for trying to improve himself from what can't be described any other way than as a complete disaster last year. What's baffling to me and I suspect many others is what he expects to learn from not only Jason Garrett but from the Dallas Cowboys organization itself. These guys have been a gong show themselves for years with the people that are running that team. Emulate winners not losers. Is he trying to reaffirm the way he does things by speaking with someone who is just as screwed up as himself? To me this is what the issue is and probably why Cloned started the thread.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I think most of the negativity in this thread has nothing to do with Eakins choice to think outside the box and speak to a coach from a different sport. I applaud him for trying to improve himself from what can't be described any other way than as a complete disaster last year. What's baffling to me and I suspect many others is what he expects to learn from not only Jason Garrett but from the Dallas Cowboys organization itself. These guys have been a gong show themselves for years with the people that are running that team. Emulate winners not losers. Is he trying to reaffirm the way he does things by speaking with someone who is just as screwed up as himself? To me this is what the issue is and probably why Cloned started the thread.
One of the main reasons, yes.

Old
08-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Del McPreston

vCash: 137
What if Eakins is replacing the swarm with the winger blitz?

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 07:35 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
One of the main reasons, yes.
Maybe he wanted to see how a team similar to his own, who have been struggling, are dealing with it. Is there nothing to be gleaned from observing a team such as this from the outside peeking in? I think perhaps there is.

Old
08-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Maybe he wanted to see how a team similar to his own, who have been struggling, are dealing with it. Is there nothing to be gleaned from observing a team such as this from the outside peeking in? I think perhaps there is.
That's a reasonable argument, and one I was anticipating this thread to produce. What I wasn't expecting was the "you're pushing a negative agenda, there's nothing to criticize or discuss here" arguments. Look, if you can make the post that you just made, and you qualify your argument with the word "maybe," it means there's something to discuss.

Old
08-04-2014, 07:44 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Wouldn't you rather take a peek at a team that turned around or at least improved itself. What's to learn from observing an organization that's swimming in the same **** that you are? You've already seen that movie.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 07:46 PM
oilz89*

Quote:
How does it feel to complain about every little move or take jabs at everything related to the Oilers? I don't get how people waste so much energy being negative. Must be real fun to be around.
They must have way waaaay too much time on their hands. Honestly think they need to get a life if they use their time to criticize every little thing about the team

oilz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 08:04 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Wouldn't you rather take a peek at a team that turned around or at least improved itself. What's to learn from observing an organization that's swimming in the same **** that you are? You've already seen that movie.
Maybe to see how they are dealing with it. Maybe he wants to view another team facing adversity.

Old
08-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Maybe to see how they are dealing with it. Maybe he wants to view another team facing adversity.
No that makes too much sense. It's just Dallas ego stroking himself again.

Tad McMikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilz89 View Post
They must have way waaaay too much time on their hands. Honestly think they need to get a life if they use their time to criticize every little thing about the team
God forbid if you don't agree with that then. Then you are just a kool aid drinker or some other stupid name.

Old
08-04-2014, 08:13 PM
oilz89*

Quote:
God forbid if you don't agree with that then. Then you are just a kool aid drinker or some other stupid name.
..... lol dude i'm agreeing with what you said

Old
08-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
..... lol dude i'm agreeing with what you said
Oh I know haha I'm just pointing out that if you say something positive, get ready for the turd names and the lame arguments.

Old
08-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
That's a reasonable argument, and one I was anticipating this thread to produce. What I wasn't expecting was the "you're pushing a negative agenda, there's nothing to criticize or discuss here" arguments. Look, if you can make the post that you just made, and you qualify your argument with the word "maybe," it means there's something to discuss.
Yeah I think the whole pushing a negative agenda applies to the other usual suspects, not you Cloned. Since we can't name them, they know who they are.

Old
08-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Agreed with this. Look at Eakin's record with the Marlies. He started off not so hot, but got increasingly better. I think he'll do the same here.
Yeah. He doesn't seem like he's the type of guy that will leave a sleeping dog lie.

He'll kick Rufus in the ass and tell him to go round up some sheep or something.

Maybe even round up a veggie plate or two.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 08:23 PM
oilz89*

Quote:
Oh I know haha I'm just pointing out that if you say something positive, get ready for the turd names and the lame arguments.
Oh i'm ready. I'm sure if i say one more good thing about Eakins that is true people are going to start getting references and evidence to make a negative statement that does not make sense. Some people just want to remain pessimistic and not hope that we might be coming up into the light

Old
08-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Oh i'm ready. I'm sure if i say one more good thing about Eakins that is true people are going to start getting references and evidence to make a negative statement that does not make sense. Some people just want to remain pessimistic and not hope that we might be coming up into the light

Thought I'd dig through the vaults for this one.

Last edited by Dorian2: 08-04-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
I have to agree.

My bad.

This too is an agenda. You just don't seem to think so. As are the responses of the half dozen or so posters on this board that do little more than seek to stifle any sign of unrest re the org. That's not your mainstay but when you find yourself agreeing with certain posters who ONLY come here to be positivity police you'll get called out for it too.

Oh, another agenda..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Yeah. He doesn't seem like he's the type of guy that will leave a sleeping dog lie.

He'll kick Rufus in the ass and tell him to go round up some sheep or something.

Maybe even round up a veggie plate or two.
Chop wood and carry more water, dammit..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 08:42 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
You want us to completely stop discussion of the matter just because our opinions don't agree with yours, and anyone who dares criticize this move is guilty of pushing negative agendas? That's honestly agenda-pushing and narrative-writing at it's fullest.

It *is* possible to disagree without one person being inherently wrong or guilty of a darker agenda.
Come on Cloned....really?

Where did I suggest that all discussion be stopped?

I didnt. I didnt even imply as much.

It also has nothing to do with agreement. That should be pretty clear to you...no?

What I did do is call out posters who are using this non story as fodder to further their disdain for Eakins.

Are you suggesting that element doesn't exist in this thread?

Old
08-04-2014, 08:47 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This too is an agenda. You just don't seem to think so. As are the responses of the half dozen or so posters on this board that do little more than seek to stifle any sign of unrest re the org. That's not your mainstay but when you find yourself agreeing with certain posters who ONLY come here to be positivity police you'll get called out for it too.

Oh, another agenda..
Wrong.
Nothing is being stifled here. Calling out posters is not the same as stifling conversation.

Since when is a fluff piece about how Eakins spends his spare time worthy of negative criticism about his coaching ability?

Old
08-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Come on Cloned....really?

Where did I suggest that all discussion be stopped?

I didnt. I didnt even imply as much.

It also has nothing to do with agreement. That should be pretty clear to you...no?

What I did do is call out posters who are using this non story as fodder to further their disdain for Eakins.

Are you suggesting that element doesn't exist in this thread?
Well...

You called me out for not reading the article before posting this thread. That's a rather insulting attack and really there was no need or basis for that.

You said there's nothing worthy of criticism in this thread, which to me means there's nothing worthy to discuss.

You said this is NOTHING but agendas, which again implies it isn't anything worth discussing.

What your entirety of posting in this thread has implied is that this isn't a topic worth discussing, that anyone who shares my opinion is pushing an agenda.

That's the element that's present in all your posts in this thread.