HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Blackburn Suffers MCL Sprain in Left Knee

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2005, 05:41 PM
NYR469

vCash: 500
Dan Blackburn Suffers MCL Sprain in Left Knee

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=1721

Old
09-15-2005, 05:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Jeez this kid can't get a break.

Old
09-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Taz

i feel so bad for this guy.

I hope he gets a shot in the AHL for a few games.

Old
09-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Habsfan18

i thought he wasn't re-signed?

Old
09-15-2005, 06:20 PM
in the hall

TO habsfan

Old
09-15-2005, 06:28 PM
BigE

And I thought I had bad luck. It's very unfortunate if this ends his career, without him having the chance to know whether he would have been good enough or not.

Edit: 2 weeks. Who knows I guess. I wonder if pre-season games count against his insurance limit.

Last edited by BigE: 09-15-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old
09-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
Edit: 2 weeks. Who knows I guess. I wonder if pre-season games count against his insurance limit?
I would doubt it. I can't point to a specific reason, but given that players aren't paid during pre-season and rosters are not set, it would make sense that pre-season is considered practice and the games wouldn't count.

Old
09-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
And I thought I had bad luck. It's very unfortunate if this ends his career, without him having the chance to know whether he would have been good enough or not.

Edit: 2 weeks. Who knows I guess. I wonder if pre-season games count against his insurance limit.
Unfortunatly that is what happens.

The Stefan Cherneski thing still makes me sad.

I know that kid was a player, not a star but he could've been a Brendan Morrow type and that sounds real nice right about now.

Old
09-15-2005, 06:43 PM
in the hall

yeah i remember cherneski, he got screwed over too that year

Old
09-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Ah yes the infamous Brent Fedyk experiment of 1998.

Cherneski was the last cut of the camp. Fedyk went on to be.....a 31 year old 4th line winger who was out of hockey not too long after.

Old
09-15-2005, 06:51 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Ah yes the infamous Brent Fedyk experiment of 1998.

Cherneski was the last cut of the camp. Fedyk went on to be.....a 31 year old 4th line winger who was out of hockey not too long after.
Yup. the Rangers couldn't put Cherneski on the team that year, but, Smith was real proud of keeping around his new jewel, Malhotra. So two careers got ruined.

Old
09-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Malhotra didnt look half bad in Columbus last year.

If he picks up where he left off it really isn't far fetched to expect 15-20 goals and 30-40 points.

Old
09-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Yup. the Rangers couldn't put Cherneski on the team that year, but, Smith was real proud of keeping around his new jewel, Malhotra. So two careers got ruined.
Gotta disagree there jas, it wasn't Manny's first year with the Rangers that was the problem, it was his 2nd year, where they kept him around without playing him and then finally sent him back to Juniors. You can still blame Smith (and especially Muckler) for signing all those free agents after Gretzky retired (which left Malhotra with no role and no ice time).

And as Edge points out, no one in Columbus thinks Manny's career is ruined. It just took him some time (namely ice time) to get it going.

Old
09-15-2005, 07:21 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Gotta disagree there jas, it wasn't Manny's first year with the Rangers that was the problem, it was his 2nd year, where they kept him around without playing him and then finally sent him back to Juniors. You can still blame Smith (and especially Muckler) for signing all those free agents after Gretzky retired (which left Malhotra with no role and no ice time).

And as Edge points out, no one in Columbus thinks Manny's career is ruined. It just took him some time (namely ice time) to get it going.
I'm not necessarily saying year one ruined Manny. But, Cherneski was every bit as ready as Manny that year. (Chrneski played very well in camp - Brooks even commented that while Cherneski might be headed to Hartford, he'd be back soon.) Instead we were stuck with the likes of Fedyk, Tikkanen, MacLean and Stevens. Jeez, Marc Savard should have been the #2 center coming out of camp. Instead, Muckler screwed the pooch by playing Tikkanen with Kovalev, thereby breaking up a line which had become one of the most dangerous in the league the previous year, Sundstrom/TGO/Kovalev, played Sundstrom at center, which screwed him up, and forced Smith to make the Kovalev for Nedved deal. Okay, so let's see...keep the TGO line together, play Savard as 2nd line center, with Gravey and...wait, here's an idea Cherneski at RW by year's end, Knuble and Manny could develop as part of a checking line with size and speed...nah, we'll just let Muckler throw the spanner in the whole works. Gee, I wonder why anyone might not trust this organization to get this process right.

Old
09-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Wow this just brought back a lot of painful memories.

Can't believe that was 7 years ago already.

Old
09-15-2005, 08:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Wow this just brought back a lot of painful memories.

Can't believe that was 7 years ago already.
Scary, isn't it? And, if I'm not mistaken, you also said at the time the Rangers REALLY liked Barrett Jackman in the '99 draft, (along with Lundmark, of course.) So let's see...between hiring the doofus Muckler, who proceeds to destroy Malhotra's career as a Ranger, effectively kills Cherneski's career, keeps the likes of Fedyk and Tikkanen, Smith also decides its important to keep players like Hatcher, Pilon, MacLean and Stevens around, all valuable to a rebuild. And, in '99, he proceeds to draft not even one player who at this point is a surefire NHL player, and trade away his #1 pick the next year, while giving up Savard, Sundstrom and Cloutier. It's not pretty, is it?

Last edited by jas: 09-15-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old
09-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I'm not necessarily saying year one ruined Manny. But, Cherneski was every bit as ready as Manny that year. (Chrneski played very well in camp - Brooks even commented that while Cherneski might be headed to Hartford, he'd be back soon.) Instead we were stuck with the likes of Fedyk, Tikkanen, MacLean and Stevens. Jeez, Marc Savard should have been the #2 center coming out of camp. Instead, Muckler screwed the pooch by playing Tikkanen with Kovalev, thereby breaking up a line which had become one of the most dangerous in the league the previous year, Sundstrom/TGO/Kovalev, played Sundstrom at center, which screwed him up, and forced Smith to make the Kovalev for Nedved deal. Okay, so let's see...keep the TGO line together, play Savard as 2nd line center, with Gravey and...wait, here's an idea Cherneski at RW by year's end, Knuble and Manny could develop as part of a checking line with size and speed...nah, we'll just let Muckler throw the spanner in the whole works. Gee, I wonder why anyone might not trust this organization to get this process right.
I never said anything about Cherneski--the fact that he was the last cut in 1998 has been beaten to death by many here(including me)--because I agree with what was said. I was disagreeing with your views on Manny.

And dude, settle down, that was a long time ago! There's plenty going on now to get all worked up over.

Old
09-15-2005, 08:57 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I never said anything about Cherneski--the fact that he was the last cut in 1998 has been beaten to death by many here(including me)--because I agree with what was said. I was disagreeing with your views on Manny.

And dude, settle down, that was a long time ago! There's plenty going on now to get all worked up over.
Yeah, I know, but, having all those bad memories brought back up allows for the paranoia I think many Ranger fans are having with what some see as a wobbly approach to rebuilding.

Old
09-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Yeah, I know, but, having all those bad memories brought back up allows for the paranoia I think many Ranger fans are having with what some see as a wobbly approach to rebuilding.
I'm not going to sweat it now, very honestly I have no expectations beyond the fact that Sather is a Jackass. If he gets it right it will be because he was trying to do something else and that failed.

We'll see when they drop the puck.

Old
09-15-2005, 09:33 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Oh man. Poor kid. I really enjoyed watching him play, but man, he can't catch a damn break. Poor guy.

Old
09-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Scary, isn't it? And, if I'm not mistaken, you also said at the time the Rangers REALLY liked Barrett Jackman in the '99 draft, (along with Lundmark, of course.) So let's see...between hiring the doofus Muckler, who proceeds to destroy Malhotra's career as a Ranger, effectively kils cherneski's career, keeps the likes of Fedyk and Tikkanen, Smith also decides its important to keep players like Hatcher, Pilon, MacLean and Stevens around, all valuable to a rebuild. And, in '99, he proceeds to draft not even one player who at this point is a surefire NHL player, and trade away his #1 pick the next year, while giving up Savard, Sundstrom and Cloutier. It's not pretty, is it?
Yeah they loved Jackman, always have.

What's scary is that the time, the moves didn't look that bad and they made sense.

I can't honestly say that at the time i'd imagine the deal would look this lopsided 6 years later.

Lundmark has been one of my biggest disappointments......ever. From a personal standpoint I saw so much more in him.

Old
09-15-2005, 10:06 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

What's scary is that the time, the moves didn't look that bad and they made sense.

I can't honestly say that at the time i'd imagine the deal would look this lopsided 6 years later.

Lundmark has been one of my biggest disappointments......ever. From a personal standpoint I saw so much more in him.
I know...I was ecstatic that day, too. But, we now have reality to be the judge.

Old
09-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:

Oh yeah, I remember. You and Brandon and Evan were raving about Lundy. One of you guys even compared him to JR. And at the time, that did not look too far fetched at all.

Blackburn... Wow, he was my favorite young Ranger. He won 20 games before turning 20. I was thinking he was going to break all of Mike's NYR records. I know that it sounds childish, but in ESPN NHL2K5 he has retired with over 800 wins and God knows how many shut outs.

Old
09-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Balej20*

Our "Future"

This picture should have represented our future stars....

Old
09-16-2005, 12:41 AM
Balej20*

And these pictures also should have represented our future.

Closed Thread