HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers hire Tyler Dellow

Old
08-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Hiphopopotamus

vCash: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
The forum doesn't exist anymore. But the events are true. Absolutely despicable behaviour by Dellow.
Nice guys finish last…I don't really care if he is nice.

Hiphopopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:42 PM
KlimasLoveChild

vCash: 500
If it gets this clown off the radio I'll support it.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Seachd

vCash: 167
Not sure this is really anything to be excited about, and obviously the guy's a jerk.

That being said, I'm not exactly sure how he'd help the team, but if he does, it's not a bad thing.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Nice guys finish last…I don't really care if he is nice.
There's nice guy and bad guy, then there's someone threatening the budding career of an individual because of a disagreement over the Oilers on the internet.

And you should know that.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Ol' Jase
No mas, Adam. No mas

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
How significantly exactly? Over the course of 6,000+ events, that stuff would come out in the wash.

Now, let's talk about fluke goals and what that does to GF%....
Again, fluke goals count a lot more towards winning than shots that miss the net.

Quote:
Except the Kings were picked to win the cup on CF% in a year they were literally middle of the pack for GF% (2011-12).
EDIT: Mistake on my part. Point conceded.

Quote:
And if you look over several years the two measures are closely grouped. Since 2010, 8 of the top 10 GF% were in the top 10 for CF%. The correlation is even tighter between GF$ and Fenwick % (which doesn't count blocked shots). Why, it's almost as if teams that consistently enjoy a territorial advantage will also get a larger share of the goals.
Again, an attempt was made to discount GF% due to sample size. Yet, GF% aligns with success at every turn. Perhaps it is not something to be dismissed so easily?

Quote:
Goals of course also being subject to randomness at a far greater rate than shots.
Please tell me you can see the incredible folly in this statement.

A goal has a defined parameter, defined target, and has a defined metric that directly determines wins and losses. How on earth does a goal have a more random outcome that a Corsi event?

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 08-05-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Hiphopopotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
There's nice guy and bad guy, then there's someone threatening the budding career of an individual because of a disagreement over the Oilers on the internet.

And you should know that.
I would have to see evidence of that (link?). I have heard the guy is a bit of a jerk and tbh I don't really care. I care about how smart he is and if this can help the Oilers. I am not asking him to babysit my kids.

Old
08-05-2014, 05:02 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Buchberger and Smith seemed like nice guys.

Real shame they're gone.

If the internet forum blowup happened, then that's a bad thing, but it wouldn't be the first time someone has gotten super angry arguing and said something stupid online. And if you've gone through his twitter TL, you know how many idiot comments he's subjected to on a daily basis. Twitter is not a great forum for debate, at 140 characters per punch.

He is arrogant? Sure comes across like it. But I've poked fun at him a couple of times and he's taken it and retweeted it.

I've also known many smart, experienced lawyers who haven't learned not to get emotionally invested in their own arguments. I am friends with them outside of the court room but I know it might get ugly in front of the judge. Could be the same problem here.

The main reason why Oilers fans should be interested in this is that, on his own dime, he spent 100s of hours reviewing video and numbers, trying to find out why the Oilers couldn't be better. That's someone who is passionate about hockey and about improving the Oilers.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:04 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:
I would have to see evidence of that (link?). I have heard the guy is a bit of a jerk and tbh I don't really care. I care about how smart he is and if this can help the Oilers. I am not asking him to babysit my kids.
Ive seen it. It happened.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
The forum doesn't exist anymore. But the events are true. Absolutely despicable behaviour by Dellow.
I believe it. He did the same thing to me about 7 or so years ago.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
You're looking at it in a very narrow viewpoint. A front office is a collection of individuals that have to apply their skills for a collective effort. We just hired a guy who threatened a man's career because of a disagreement on the internet. Seems just like the sort of person you want to work in a team environment, yeah. A man with the internet persona of a 13 year old diva.

The link you ask for is on a board that no longer exists. The poster it happened to still frequents this board, so if he wants to speak on it, he can, but otherwise I wouldn't want to give Dellow another excuse to try and ruin another man's livelihood.

Old
08-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Hiphopopotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ive seen it. It happened.
Fair enough, I will give you guys the benefit of doubt. Not sure that it matters a whole lot anyways.

Old
08-05-2014, 05:09 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Again, fluke goals count a lot more towards winning than shots that miss the net.

Lol, so 6th is the middle of the pack?? Yes, this is the high level of intellectual honesty that has become commonplace in these discussions. Holy ****.

Again, an attempt was made to discount GF% due to sample size. Yet, GF% aligns with success at every turn. Perhaps it is not something to be dismissed so easily?

A goal has a defined parameter, defined target, and has a defined metric that directly determines wins and losses. How on earth does a goal have a more random outcome that a Corsi event?
A strong one timer from the slot can miraculously get saved by a diving goalie, while a dump in from the red line can hit a stanchion and go into the net.

That's randomness, and it has a much bigger effect on GF% than a comparable play would have on Corsi or Fenwick.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
I guess. Wouldn't it all still be accessible via the Way Back Machine anyways?
Obviously a guy like Dellow, who deletes all his old tweets every couple weeks, would cover his tracks better than that:

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Del McPreston
1,000 Brown M&Ms

vCash: 0
Spector's article about the hiring.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...gbv=2&&ct=clnk

The article was pulled from Sportsnet.ca for some reason.

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Ol' Jase
No mas, Adam. No mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
A strong one timer from the slot can miraculously get saved by a diving goalie, while a dump in from the red line can hit a stanchion and go into the net.

That's randomness, and it has a much bigger effect on GF% than a comparable play would have on Corsi or Fenwick.
So how many pucks that are shot from the red line and hit a stanchion and went in the net were there in the NHL last year?

GF% has been a good guideline in looking at successful NHL teams. It makes logical sense, how it can be disputed or dismissed is baffling.

Old
08-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Hiphopopotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
You're looking at it in a very narrow viewpoint. A front office is a collection of individuals that have to apply their skills for a collective effort. We just hired a guy who threatened a man's career because of a disagreement on the internet. Seems just like the sort of person you want to work in a team environment, yeah. A man with the internet persona of a 13 year old diva.

The link you ask for is on a board that no longer exists. The poster it happened to still frequents this board, so if he wants to speak on it, he can, but otherwise I wouldn't want to give Dellow another excuse to try and ruin another man's livelihood.
By all accounts, despite the man's reputation as being somewhat of a *****, it appears he knows the analytical side of hockey quite well. Not to worried about any adverse effect with this hire.

Old
08-05-2014, 05:16 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Lol, so 6th is the middle of the pack?? Yes, this is the high level of intellectual honesty that has become commonplace in these discussions. Holy ****.
Los Angeles was 15th (aka middle of the pack) in 5v5 GF% in 2011-12. No clue what you're referring to. Meanwhile they were 2nd in CF% and 4th in FF%.

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:16 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I believe it. He did the same thing to me about 7 or so years ago.
Hopefully he's become a little more restrained since then.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:17 PM
tempest2i
The Gloaming

If this thread has taught me anything, it's that I should hate him because he's acted like a petulant moron online.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:17 PM
McDraekke
5-14-6-1

Quote:

Seriously. The point that is trying to be made about Corsi vs GF%, is that GF% is the effect that is hopefully going to increase due to the determination of Corsi (which is the cause), and how to improve that. Corsi is a measurement of shots. Shots need to happen in order to score a goal. So therefore shots are directly linked to GF%. So ipso facto, if one can increase ones Corsi number, that would, in theory, help increase the GF%.

Sure you could simply say: "In order to get a better GF%, they need to score more goals and let in fewer!" But what we're trying to explain to you, is that measuring Corsi, and hopefully making it so that players can shoot more to get more SOG, which will lead to those goals, and hopefully lead to a higher GF%.

And statistically speaking (we ARE talking about statistics here), having a higher sample size gives more relevant data.

McDraekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Spector's article about the hiring.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...gbv=2&&ct=clnk

The article was pulled from Sportsnet.ca for some reason.
for good reason. it was a crybaby/jealousy column from a mainstream media dude worried about the new breed of bloggers taking their jobs.
spector is a bitter man.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Ol' Jase
No mas, Adam. No mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Los Angeles was 15th (aka middle of the pack) in 5v5 GF% in 2011-12. No clue what you're referring to. Meanwhile they were 2nd in CF% and 4th in FF%.
You are right, and I looked at the wrong situational stat.

Post edited and point conceded.

However, the year before the Bruins were the top team 5v5 and 14th in CF%.

Let's look at every year:

2011: Boston 1st GF% (1st playoffs), 14th CF% (7th playoffs)
2012: LA 16th GF% (1st playoffs), 2nd CF% (9th playoffs)
2013: Chicago 1st GF% (2nd playoffs), 4th CF% (3rd playoffs)
2014: LA 3rd GF% (3rd playoffs), 1st CF% (4th playoffs)

Now, it is fair to say the the 2012 LA year is an anonmly for GF% and not the trend, no?

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 08-05-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old
08-05-2014, 05:20 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
If this thread has taught me anything, it's that I should hate him because he's acted like a petulant moron online.

"he said something mean to me once 6 years ago, he's a horrible person"

sepHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

"he said something mean to me once 6 years ago, he's a horrible person"
You're right. Any sort of background information on a hire is bad. We should stick our heads in the nearest pile of dirt now.

Old
08-05-2014, 05:24 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
for good reason. it was a crybaby/jealousy column from a mainstream media dude worried about the new breed of bloggers taking their jobs.
spector is a bitter man.
The mainstream media cryfest will be the best part of the whole thing.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote