HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers hire Tyler Dellow

Old
08-05-2014, 04:25 PM
ThatGuy22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
So how many pucks that are shot from the red line and hit a stanchion and went in the net were there in the NHL last year?

GF% has been a good guideline in looking at successful NHL teams. It makes logical sense, how it can be disputed or dismissed is baffling.
I recall atleast one against the Wild, but that's not the point. That's the extreme, but there are variations.

Randomness does exist within the NHL, the reason goals are not used as a predictor is that randomness can have a larger effect on smaller sample sizes.

Boston and Chicago had pretty much the same team in 12/13 as they did in 13/14.

Boston had a 5% shift up in GF%, and Chicago had a 5% shift down in GF% while the CF% stayed relatively static. Did their games change to cause those shifts? Boston got better, while Chicago got worse.

Or was it randomness provided by shooting percentages/save percentages?

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:26 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 482
It's not going to hurt, but I don't see how telling the Oilers organization that they are poor at this and that is going to help. Don't we already know we are horrid at a lot?

It's how to fix those issues that is the key here. Don't think Dellow is going to do that.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Spector's article about the hiring.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...gbv=2&&ct=clnk

The article was pulled from Sportsnet.ca for some reason.
The internet is a small, small place and so is the hockey world.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:29 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
You're right. Any sort of background information on a hire is bad. We should stick our heads in the nearest pile of dirt now.
Are you insinuating that Dellow's historical (and recent) online behavior is going to be a negative influence on the team? That he'll be a cancer in the dressing room or something?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:30 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
You're right. Any sort of background information on a hire is bad. We should stick our heads in the nearest pile of dirt now.
Not really, I just think it's funny, that's all.

By the sounds of it this was a very long time ago, and Dellow is young as it is.

There is also zero context, we don't know what the argument was about, or what the other person was threatening Dellow with.

Either way, some people on here are making it sound like a doxx threat is the worst thing ever when he didn't even go through with it.

I wasn't just talking about you either, there's a bunch of people who are rattled because they have been lit up on twitter or HF by Dellow in the past.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Are you insinuating that Dellow's historical (and recent) online behavior is going to be a negative influence on the team? That he'll be a cancer in the dressing room or something?
I've already stated why I think an individual who responds like a 13 year old to criticism of his work might be an issue in the team based environment that is management. No need for snark.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Not really, I just think it's funny, that's all.

By the sounds of it this was a very long time ago, and Dellow is young as it is.

There is also zero context, we don't know what the argument was about, or what the other person was threatening Dellow with.

Either way, some people on here are making it sound like a doxx threat is the worst thing ever when he didn't even go through with it.

I wasn't just talking about you either, there's a bunch of people who are rattled because they have been lit up on twitter or HF by Dellow in the past.
It was about stats. It was two years ago. Dellow was threatened with nothing.

Old
08-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
Seriously. The point that is trying to be made about Corsi vs GF%, is that GF% is the effect that is hopefully going to increase due to the determination of Corsi (which is the cause), and how to improve that. Corsi is a measurement of shots. Shots need to happen in order to score a goal. So therefore shots are directly linked to GF%. So ipso facto, if one can increase ones Corsi number, that would, in theory, help increase the GF%.

Sure you could simply say: "In order to get a better GF%, they need to score more goals and let in fewer!" But what we're trying to explain to you, is that measuring Corsi, and hopefully making it so that players can shoot more to get more SOG, which will lead to those goals, and hopefully lead to a higher GF%.

And statistically speaking (we ARE talking about statistics here), having a higher sample size gives more relevant data.
But, and this is where it seems the "we" you are referring to goes deaf, is that to increase GF%, more GOALS need to be scored or prevented.

Increasing CORSI percentage by two percent and having only one of those "shots" result in a goal does nothing to acheive that.

Another interesting "accident":

EV GA ranking Cup winners since 2010:

2011- Boston - 1st
2012 - LA - 2nd
2013 - Chicago - 2nd
2014 - LA - 1st

Fairly simple metric, very much in line with how the Cup result played out.

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 08-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:40 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
I've already stated why I think an individual who responds like a 13 year old to criticism of his work might be an issue in the team based environment that is management. No need for snark.
You're aware he was a practicing lawyer at one point right?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I expect he understands the differences between "the internet" and "the boardroom".

Old
08-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
I recall atleast one against the Wild, but that's not the point. That's the extreme, but there are variations.

Randomness does exist within the NHL, the reason goals are not used as a predictor is that randomness can have a larger effect on smaller sample sizes.

Boston and Chicago had pretty much the same team in 12/13 as they did in 13/14.

Boston had a 5% shift up in GF%, and Chicago had a 5% shift down in GF% while the CF% stayed relatively static. Did their games change to cause those shifts? Boston got better, while Chicago got worse.

Or was it randomness provided by shooting percentages/save percentages?
Or are you comparing a 48 game schedule to an 82 game schedule?

And I can't possibly see how you can say Boston had the same team in 12/13 as 13/14 with Seguin and Horton gone and Krug added to the line up.

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 08-05-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
You're aware he was a practicing lawyer at one point right?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I expect he understands the differences between "the internet" and "the boardroom".
I'm very aware. What profession do you think said poster was getting into when Dellow threatend to out his personal information so that poster couldn't get a job in SAID industry. Law perhaps? So, a history of him using his position in "the boardroom" to settle a score on "the internet."

Wow, maybe he doesn't know the difference if he's using his position as a lawyer to screw over a kid trying to get into the industry because of an internet argument.

But honestly, this little conversation is going to sewer the whole topic, so I'm ok with dropping it if you are.

Old
08-05-2014, 04:55 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
I'm very aware. What profession do you think said poster was getting into when Dellow threatend to out his personal information so that poster couldn't get a job in SAID industry. Law perhaps? So, a history of him using his position in "the boardroom" to settle a score on "the internet."

Wow, maybe he doesn't know the difference if he's using his position as a lawyer to screw over a kid trying to get into the industry because of an internet argument.

But honestly, this little conversation is going to sewer the whole topic, so I'm ok with dropping it if you are.
I've learnt that any thread on HF with Dellow as the topic is going to start in the sewer and be very unlikely to come back out (ala shawshank redemption) at any point.

That's what happens when you've burnt as many bridges as he has.

Old
08-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
I've learnt that any thread on HF with Dellow as the topic is going to start in the sewer and be very unlikely to come back out (ala shawshank redemption) at any point.

That's what happens when you've burnt as many bridges as he has.
Yeah, but I complain when topics get sewered so I'll just step back and we can just say we agree to disagree, shake hands, talk about how great Radiohead is, and move on.

Old
08-05-2014, 04:58 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
It was about stats. It was two years ago. Dellow was threatened with nothing.

Which Oilers forum was taken down 2 years ago?

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:01 PM
topchowda

Yes! this guy is great. His articles on the Oilers are great. He is heavy into anaytics but his analysis uses scouting and analytics, so its the best of both.

He is not afraid to fit pull punches and rip the Oilers. He is defiantly a refreshing opinion

When the Leafs hired Dubas I posted saying analytics guys were about to get hired and I hope the Oilers sign some of these guys before they get scooped up.

100% approve of this

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Mr Sakich

one thing I like about this move, the assistant coaching changes and with Eakin's recent football camp meetings - The Oilers look to be doing everything they can to improve. Every aspect of the organization is being looked at to get better this year

Quite the contrast to the Tambellini era

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
one thing I like about this move, the assistant coaching changes and with Eakin's recent football camp meetings - The Oilers look to be doing everything they can to improve. Every aspect of the organization is being looked at to get better this year

Quite the contrast to the Tambellini era
Except for the President and Owner. You could argue GM and Senior VP of Hockey Operations too, but that would be overly negative. Goalie coach though, that one is for sure.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:08 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Is this our moneyball guy? Will he take us to the promised land?
Anyways I like this move
Maybe and no

Dellow is alot more about analyzing systems and showing which systems arent working based on advanced stats and through scouting. Moneyball is more about signing underrated guys.

Dellow is able to identify those guys (was really high on Fayne), but wont be doing the signing

MacT is one of the most analytics heavy GMs in the league, and Dellow seems to be on the same page as him.

This is a very forward thinking move. If he can help Eakins determine ways to improve systems, or how to break down other teams systems, thats another bullet in the chamber

Old
08-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Speed220BChalavan

Adapt or die

This is an encouraging hire. Clearly the Oilers have bought into advanced stats, and it's best to have one of the very best in the business on their side.

To quote Lowetide, I'm having a beer. And then I'm having another.

Speed220BChalavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:15 PM
topchowda

The example of a team who uses old fashioned out dated approach is the Calgary Flames (Burke)

The example of team using a combined approach of scouting and analytics is the Kings

Give me option b please

Old
08-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Hopefully he tries to tell a legit athlete how to do their job and gets shredded.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:27 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Yeah, but I complain when topics get sewered so I'll just step back and we can just say we agree to disagree, shake hands, talk about how great Radiohead is, and move on.
sounds good.

Old
08-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

From hiring junk off poorly run organizations like Toronto, to straight up hiring twitter trolls off the internet.

Seems that instead of trying to stifle any feelings of pity the rest of the NHL might have for the Oilers over how bad they are by winning, they've decided to be both horrifically run and aggressively unlikable. If this is the path the Oilers have settled on, I fully expect that Kris Jenner will be hired as the team's new public relations manager and Justin Beiber the new arena DJ over the next couple of weeks.

Is it too late to call Katz's bluff about moving the team to Seattle?

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Digger12

I'm not really sure how optimistic to be about this hiring, because I don't have a clear definition about the scope of his role.

Is he being hired on in a consultant role to give an large scale statistical analysis of the team, or is he going to be merely one of many stats guys the Oilers have on hire already?

Either way, this is a very interesting hire by the Oilers. I'm not as convinced as others that it'll be a game changer for the team, but I can't see the harm in it.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

The whole Tyler is an ass thing is hilarious to me. I can't remember the last time he got into a twitter fight where the other person WASN'T an idiot who deserved public shaming.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote