HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers hire Tyler Dellow

Old
08-05-2014, 05:52 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Continuum View Post
Hopefully he tries to tell a legit athlete how to do their job and gets shredded.
Because the last thing our players need is coaching and assistance. The more Eberle hears his poor backchecking hurts the team the better

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
The whole Tyler is an ass thing is hilarious to me. I can't remember the last time he got into a twitter fight where the other person WASN'T an idiot who deserved public shaming.
Oh please. I know you're deep into advance stats and probably a devout follower of tr church of Dellow but guy threatens to expose someone over the internet on some forum doesn't paint him in a good light

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Oh please. I know you're deep into advance stats and probably a devout follower of tr church of Dellow but guy threatens to expose someone over the internet on some forum doesn't paint him in a good light
This was how long ago again?

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:58 PM
April Ethereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
He's already passive aggressively gloating on twitter. That and Tad/Liquor/several others stories makes me think this guy is a *****.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
He's already passive aggressively gloating on twitter. That and Tad/Liquor/several others stories makes me think this guy is a *****.
He hasn't said anything on Twitter except essentially I'll see what I can do about the site and Sorry if I haven't replied to all the messages.

Old
08-05-2014, 06:02 PM
April Ethereal
5-14-6-1

Conklin is better than Brodeur, right Dellow?

Old
08-05-2014, 06:15 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
wat

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
The whole Tyler is an ass thing is hilarious to me. I can't remember the last time he got into a twitter fight where the other person WASN'T an idiot who deserved public shaming.
So really anyone who may have questioned some of his conclusions based on his data deserves public shaming?

Smart cat, will probably do good things accumalating raw data and helping to filter it for the Oil, horribly unprofessional and an outright ***** on many, many occasions.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 06:48 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Conklin is better than Brodeur, right Dellow?
And how many numerous GMs (who are supposedly the smartest people in the world, living in the penthouse) have struck out and missed on players using traditional scouting?

Scouting has its flaws, advanced stats have its flaws. Why not add all tools you can. God knows relying on pro scouts has led to some absolutely crappy player acqusitions in the past 5 years, why continue?

Honestly, its a good hiring just to close his blog down because it contained numerous Oiler system weakness that other teams had access too for free. I bet when his site goes up (if it does) it will have alot less Oiler system related things (or deficiencies with players). Which from an Oiler POV is a good thing. If he can help Eakins identify system deficiencies and ways to improve its another bonus.

He was pretty high on Stralman last season and early this season, way before main stream media and average hockey fans caught on. Hopefully he can identify another guy like this and MacT can make a trade to get him before his value is recgonized

Old
08-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
This was how long ago again?
That doesn't matter. The way he conducts himself is pretty apparent

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
So really anyone who may have questioned some of his conclusions based on his data deserves public shaming?

Smart cat, will probably do good things accumalating raw data and helping to filter it for the Oil, horribly unprofessional and an outright ***** on many, many occasions.
I have not seen a semi intelligent person respectful disagree with him get roasted in a very long time.

I have seen some very stupid people make themselves look very foolish.

Like I said, I haven't seen anyone who didn't deserve to be called out called out in a long time. Clearly I didn't say he has never been overly harsh, but it's been ages since I've seen anything petty come from him.

Old
08-05-2014, 07:04 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
So many tears. Hilarious.

Between all of the "I REMEMBER WHEN HE WAS WRONG EIGHT YEARS AGO" and "HE HURT EVERY ONE OF MY FEELINGS" this is fairly funny.

I've seen Tyler go after a lot of guys, but they always went after him first. It would also get tiring to get asked the same questions over, and over, and over again when everything was documented.

Great hire.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
That doesn't matter. The way he conducts himself is pretty apparent
You in this very thread insulted me not half a page up, yet stake claim to a superior moral high ground. You are literally conducting yourself in the same manner you find so appalling of Tyler.

Old
08-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Zap Brannigan

I love how salty the MSM are about this. so good

Zap Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Zap Brannigan

and apparently people on this board. christ you would think the dude was hitler or something because he says mean things about dumb people like steve simmons

Zap Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:12 PM
SupremeTeam16

I think now that he is on the payroll they will have him on a short leash as far as his media and online outlets are concerned. As far as the hiring, I like it regardless of the guy's personality or professional conduct. When making decisions it's always good to have as much information as possible and Dellow is one of the best out there at compiling and sifting through this information to draw conclusions and maybe provide some input and information for the management team and coaching staff to make changes and adjustments to improve this hockey club.

Chances are he will be locked in a room somewhere sitting in front of a couple computers watching hours and hours of tape and putting together advance stats reports for Mac-T and co.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:14 PM
April Ethereal
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
and apparently people on this board. christ you would think the dude was hitler or something because he says mean things about dumb people like steve simmons
When you threaten to use your position to ruin someone's career over a forum disagreement, it goes beyond that. The guy deserves his reputation of being a jerk.

Old
08-05-2014, 07:21 PM
topchowda

Quote:
You in this very thread insulted me not half a page up, yet stake claim to a superior moral high ground. You are literally conducting yourself in the same manner you find so appalling of Tyler.
yeah no kidding. Its alright to criticize but people are saying the exact things they are ripping Dellow for.

Dellow also doesnt "publicly" rip people. Dude has 15K followers. Thats peanuts. A regular hot girl on instagram gets more followers. Not only that but people usually use their twitter handles like "leafz rule 101" which has no personal identification

He can be a ****** on twitter sometimes but its actually pretty funny when you consider that receipt is equally as bad

Old
08-05-2014, 07:21 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
I'm curious; how exactly can you ruin somebody's career by not having them able to hide behind an anonymous user name?

I mean, unless that guy was saying some pretty horrible things.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:24 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post

Between all of the "I REMEMBER WHEN HE WAS WRONG EIGHT YEARS AGO" and "HE HURT EVERY ONE OF MY FEELINGS" this is fairly funny.

I've seen Tyler go after a lot of guys, but they always went after him first. It would also get tiring to get asked the same questions over, and over, and over again when everything was documented.

Great hire.
Its very easy to criticize a guy making predications or forecasting things when you offer little it the way of that yourself.

Its much easier to take this approach then actually putting in the work to come up with that insight to make that call.

Old
08-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post

Great hire.
See this is just it, my friend.

To those who were in the circle, it was seen as funny. To those who questioned some of the methods and interpretations, especially in the early days, only to be told in no uncertain terms that those who did questioned things "didn't understand" the methods, it was another. To the guy Dellow threatened to make public during his infamous meltdown, it's another thing entirely.

Dellow, Vic, Lowetide, yourself, etc., were doing really important work, especially earlier on. A large group of us have continued to follow the numbers and look at things differently, but acceptance and more constructive discussion would have been realized had Dellow not ostracized so many.

Like I say, he's a real smart guy, should be an asset to the Oilers, and was a complete jack ass on many occasions that he didn't have to be.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
I love how salty the MSM are about this. so good
some of the MSM are not exactly Mensa candidates and are threatened by this.

IMO, the reading public is getting smarter and exposure to inteligent authors is easier. It used to be that the only real exposure to Oiler stories was the local papers and The Hockey News. Now, you can follow them from anywhere on the planet and get meaningful insight with ease.

MSM used to be able to carve out a niche by just reporting facts. Now, you must provide inside information, intelligent insight, or great story telling. Some of the MSM are none of these. A provider of intelligent insight just got invited to the inner workings which is something they could never achieve.

Mr Sakich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:46 PM
n7

vCash: 802
Absolutely brilliant hire.

So glad he's with the Oilers and not working for a competitor.
Really, they could not have hired a better guy.

Regardless of what people may think of him, his work was outstanding, and anyone not delusional can see that.

n7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Hynh

Tyler Dellow is bad in the room and first off the spreadsheets

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 08:18 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
See this is just it, my friend.

To those who were in the circle, it was seen as funny. To those who questioned some of the methods and interpretations, especially in the early days, only to be told in no uncertain terms that those who did questioned things "didn't understand" the methods, it was another. To the guy Dellow threatened to make public during his infamous meltdown, it's another thing entirely.

Dellow, Vic, Lowetide, yourself, etc., were doing really important work, especially earlier on. A large group of us have continued to follow the numbers and look at things differently, but acceptance and more constructive discussion would have been realized had Dellow not ostracized so many.

Like I say, he's a real smart guy, should be an asset to the Oilers, and was a complete jack ass on many occasions that he didn't have to be.
well you are showing pretty conclusively that you can't grasp the simple concept that GF% is influenced heavily by noise, and thus can't be used as a predictor. I imagine a guy like Dellow, who gets those same flawed arguements against his writings everyday would get pretty sick of it.

I'd have a hard time keeping it civil to.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote