C Matt Ustaski 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospects 2014 - #13

1. LW Nikolaj Ehlers (49.41%) - (D Josh Morrissey 38.82%, G Connor Hellebuyck 6.47%) (Added C Jimmy Lodge)

2. D Joshua Morrissey (89.77%) - (G Michael Hutchinson 3.41%, 6 others tied at 1.14%) (Added RW JC Lipon)

3. G Connor Hellebuyck (37.40%) - (C Nic Petan 24.39%, G Michael Hutchinson 21.95%) (Added C Chase De Leo)

4. C Nic Petan (40.87%) - (G Michael Hutchinson 27.83%, RW Scott Kosmachuk 17.39%) (Added D Jan Kostalek)

5. G Michael Hutchinson (56.60%) - (RW Scott Kosmachuk 30.19%, G Eric Comrie 3.77%) (Added D Brendan Kichton)

6. RW Scott Kosmachuk (45.98%) - (C Eric O'Dell 19.54%, LW Adam Lowry 16.09%) (Added C Ryan Olsen)

7. LW Adam Lowry (32.99%) - (C Eric O'Dell 29.90%, G Eric Comrie 16.49%) (Added C Pavel Kraskovsky)

8. C Eric O'Dell (48.94%) - (G Eric Comrie 30.85%, D Jack Glover/C Andrew Copp 6.38%) (Added LW Axel Blomqvist)

9. G Eric Comrie (47.56%) - (D Jack Glover 20.73%, C Andrew Copp 9.76%) (Added D Tucker Poolman)

10. D Jack Glover (42.35%) - (RW JC Lipon 16.47%, C Andrew Copp 11.76%)

11. RW JC Lipon (32.18%) - (C Andrew Copp 21.84%, C Chase De Leo 14.94%)

12. C Andrew Copp (30.95%) - (D Brendan Kichton 27.38%, C Chase De Leo 15.48%)

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 12:58 AM
Jetabre
Laine to the Jets

vCash: 50
Chase De Leo again.

Interestingly enough my last 3 would have been in reverse order:

De Leo
Copp
Lipon

Jetabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 07:35 AM
truck

More De Leo!!

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 08:52 AM
surixon

De Leo for me as well!

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 09:16 AM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

vCash: 162
Aw what the hell, I'll bandwagon here: De Leo.

I had 'em clustered as Lipon/Copp/De Leo/Kichton anyway. Oddly though I haven't included Klingberg though I'd have used the same arguments for O'Dell that I would now for Klingberg, so I'm being a little inconsistent here.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Huffer

It's going to probably come down to De Leo, Kichton, and Kligberg, but I'm throwing a vote to Telegin.

I think he's on his last legs due to his injury, lost season, and age, and I'm nervous that he may just stay in Russia forever, but I'm going to hold out hope that he bounces back and has a very good season in the KHL this year, and gets a legit shot at the Jets in 2015. From the games I saw of him, I really liked his combo of size and skating.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Went Kichton here, it's a pretty big cluster though.

Vote goes to him mostly due to more views / familiarity than with others around this spot

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 10:14 AM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
It's going to probably come down to De Leo, Kichton, and Kligberg, but I'm throwing a vote to Telegin.

I think he's on his last legs due to his injury, lost season, and age, and I'm nervous that he may just stay in Russia forever, but I'm going to hold out hope that he bounces back and has a very good season in the KHL this year, and gets a legit shot at the Jets in 2015. From the games I saw of him, I really liked his combo of size and skating.
I didn't even realize he was on the list.

Agree with all you say, but if he stays over there, this hurts. He was a guy I thought would be playing here by now, bot obviously other issues have obscured his path.

Old
08-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Kichton again. He was 2nd last time and now it looks like he will be 2nd again. What's with that?

Lipon made it the time before last and yet Kichton outperformed him. They were both AHL rookies last year. Even though he is a D Kichton outscored him in both regular season and playoffs. Copp (De Leo too) has never played a pro game. Kichton played in the AHL All-Star game!

Where's that Rodney Dangerfield vid? No respect!

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 01:21 PM
JC Numminen
#goldrush

vCash: 172
Kitchton for a 2nd time.

JC Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 01:54 PM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Kichton again. He was 2nd last time and now it looks like he will be 2nd again. What's with that?

Lipon made it the time before last and yet Kichton outperformed him. They were both AHL rookies last year. Even though he is a D Kichton outscored him in both regular season and playoffs. Copp (De Leo too) has never played a pro game. Kichton played in the AHL All-Star game!

Shiny new toy.

Old
08-08-2014, 03:09 PM
NBjet

It's Klingberg for me. I can see him contributing on the 4th line right now... or Chiarot on D. But I guess if we're talking potential upside here and lot likelyhood of actually making the jump, then I should be leaning towards Telegin or Kraskovski. Krask may be the biggest sleeper of them all... and he is the youngest!

Last edited by NBjet: 08-09-2014 at 01:05 AM.
NBjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 08:36 PM
bluuuurr

Poolman.

bluuuurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 11:04 PM
FutureIsNow
x Winnipeg Jets

Kichton.

FutureIsNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 08:19 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:

I'm guessing because his game isn't super projectable to the next level, he's small, a passable skater at best, and doesn't have much in the way of defensive capabilities. He's like a slower MA Bergeron without the rocket launcher for a shot. It's one thing to have a guy like that at F where you can hide him but when you only dress 6-7 D it's pretty difficult. There is a reason a guy like MA Bergeron averaged about 40 NHL games a season over 10 years.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
I'm guessing because his game isn't super projectable to the next level, he's small, a passable skater at best, and doesn't have much in the way of defensive capabilities. He's like a slower MA Bergeron without the rocket launcher for a shot. It's one thing to have a guy like that at F where you can hide him but when you only dress 6-7 D it's pretty difficult. There is a reason a guy like MA Bergeron averaged about 40 NHL games a season over 10 years.
If 25% of the players ranked in the top 12 so far play 400 NHL games over 10 years it will be a miracle.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 09:36 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
If 25% of the players ranked in the top 12 so far play 400 NHL games over 10 years it will be a miracle.
Yea it is just the reality of it.....its sobering to go team by team draft year to draft year and see what the % of players making the NHL is.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's 190 lbs, Lipon is 180. Where do you get the poor defense from? His coaches seem to have enough confidence in him to give him plenty of ice time.

Old
08-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea it is just the reality of it.....its sobering to go team by team draft year to draft year and see what the % of players making the NHL is.
Yup. So is it better to have lots of prospects, hoping one or two more make it (even in a bottom 6 or bottom pairing role), or fewer higher quality prospects?

I honestly watched the development camp this year and thought, "how many of these guys will make the nhl?" Answer: not that many. Maybe only 4-5 guys (Ehlers, Hellebuyck, Petan, Kossy, ?) had a legit shot of playing a substantial number of nhl games. You hope a De Leo or Poolman or Glover or Comrie can make it, but the odds aren't in their favor.

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Yup. So is it better to have lots of prospects, hoping one or two more make it (even in a bottom 6 or bottom pairing role), or fewer higher quality prospects?

I honestly watched the development camp this year and thought, "how many of these guys will make the nhl?" Answer: not that many. Maybe only 4-5 guys (Ehlers, Hellebuyck, Petan, Kossy, ?) had a legit shot of playing a substantial number of nhl games. You hope a De Leo or Poolman or Glover or Comrie can make it, but the odds aren't in their favor.
That is an odd way to look at it. By what method does it become a choice between those two extremes? It is better to have more higher quality prospects. Not easy to do but better.

I was prompted by a post in another thread today to look up what Ladd, Wheeler and Buff cost the Thrashers/Jets. Not much as it turns out. The Byfuglien trade was 3x not much + Buff for 3x not much + a 2010 1st + a 2010 2nd. Right now it looks like Chicago is going to get a grand total of 0 NHL games from those 2 picks. Just underscores the 'shot in the dark' nature of the draft.

Old
08-09-2014, 01:03 PM
bigplay41*

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
really De Leo over a guy who was pretty damn good in the AHL as a rookie? Big Ben for me easy

Edit* Wow confused Chiarot and Kitchon lol. Im the only guy who voted for Chiarot hahahahaahah

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 02:19 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Well aware of that.

Quote:
He's 190 lbs, Lipon is 180. Where do you get the poor defense from? His coaches seem to have enough confidence in him to give him plenty of ice time.
Jets have him listed at 5'10 and 185. Undersized D are a whole different animal than undersized F. The coaches on the Jets moved Thorburn up in the line up so forgive me if that doesn't exactly convince me. I admittedly have not seen him play a tonne but he didn't look good defensively when I saw him and pretty much every scouting report I have seen seems to agree with that.

He actually reminds me a lot of Danny Syvret.

Old
08-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well aware of that.

Jets have him listed at 5'10 and 185. Undersized D are a whole different animal than undersized F. The coaches on the Jets moved Thorburn up in the line up so forgive me if that doesn't exactly convince me. I admittedly have not seen him play a tonne but he didn't look good defensively when I saw him and pretty much every scouting report I have seen seems to agree with that.

He actually reminds me a lot of Danny Syvret.
HockeyDB says he is 6', 190. So does the AHL and the IceCaps. EliteProspects says 6', 192. The WHL, which is presumably a little out of date says he is 6', 195

This is what HF said in its report:"He reads the play well and has accurate passing skill. Kichton handles the defensive side of the game well considering his lack of imposing size, instead playing a smart game in his own end."

This is from thescoutingreport.org from this time last year:" Kichton is a smallish defenseman with above average vision and hockey sense, able to join the rush and create chances, and at times playing like a fourth forward. He has a good shot with solid accuracy, and can hold his own in the defensive zone. He will need to get stronger and continue to develop his all-around game, but he may follow a similar path to former Chief Jared Spurgeon, finding himself in the NHL sooner, rather than later."

Like I have said before, what does he have to do?

Old
08-09-2014, 08:27 PM
EastRiver

Kitchon for me then De Leo.

EastRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 01:27 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
HockeyDB says he is 6', 190. So does the AHL and the IceCaps. EliteProspects says 6', 192. The WHL, which is presumably a little out of date says he is 6', 195

This is what HF said in its report:"He reads the play well and has accurate passing skill. Kichton handles the defensive side of the game well considering his lack of imposing size, instead playing a smart game in his own end."

This is from thescoutingreport.org from this time last year:" Kichton is a smallish defenseman with above average vision and hockey sense, able to join the rush and create chances, and at times playing like a fourth forward. He has a good shot with solid accuracy, and can hold his own in the defensive zone. He will need to get stronger and continue to develop his all-around game, but he may follow a similar path to former Chief Jared Spurgeon, finding himself in the NHL sooner, rather than later."

Like I have said before, what does he have to do?
HF has him listed at 5'11, etc. ,etc. maybe he is bigger or smaller but I'm going to stick with the Jets measurements as I would assume they are accurate (unless anybody has a reason I shouldn't).

Neither of those are even remotely ringing endorsements of the defensive side of the game and his deficiencies are going to magnified x10 at the next level. Perhaps at lower levels his puck moving and smarts can make up for a lot but in the NHL I really don't know how well a smallish, slower, offensive D is going to perform. Smaller offensive guys like Enstrom, Rafalski, Bergeron, etc. are all phenomenal skaters. Can't think of any defensemen off the top of my head that had Kichton's skill set and size that were successful in the NHL (eg. Dany Syvret).