HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

training camp battles

Old
08-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Armourboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Im not promoting that Clune is anything other than a role player for the 4th/ But There is one thing that he has that no other player on the roster last year other than Hornqvist. He gives his max effort every shift just as Horni does. He will be on the roster no matter how many of you feel otherwise. I saw in an earlier post that indicated that Clune holds a roster spot that Forsberg could have. All I can say is that if someone wants Forsberg to have 4th line minutes then theres not much I can be said to address that idea.
Well hell if all it takes to get and keep an NHL contract is max effort then sign my ass up! Hell I can't skate or anything else very well but I'll give it hell!

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I know you love him, and i know he's what keeps you here, but there's no spot on this team for him. He is a horrible hockey player, and no longer has Trotz to shield him.

If he doesn't go on waivers(which he would clear, easily), then he's looking at 50+ games scratched.

Sorry.
(a) no problem, you're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree

(b) hardly what keeps me here. I've been on HF Boards in various incarnations for about 15 years

(c) I don't even actually love the guy, we just happen to be friendly after I had written a piece in a hockey blog about 6 years ago talking about what a horrible hockey player he was, and frankly (1. He got sober, and got better) and (2. We both arrived in Nashville on the same day, unbeknownst to either of us, and I had just spent 30 days in Manchester, where we'd had a chance to get to know each other a little better from the "why do you hate me days.")

(d) I've followed this sport a long time (50 years) and written about it on and off long enough to know that while I may not know a lot, I know enough, and I am certain that if placed on waivers, a guy like Clune gets picked up more often than not. Lombardi promised him an NHL shot, which is why he was placed on waivers by the Kings, and I know Poile would graciously move him elsewhere if the situation became that he would not fill a need in the Preds plans.

If he's scratched 50+ games, I'd be surprised. Not overwhelmingly, but enough that I'd question the two year extension they gave him.

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 09:07 PM
GeauxPreds

I really don't understand all the clune hate. People here are quick to dimiss any player that provides grit leadership and effort without having a lot of skill, partly because for the longest time thats all we had and it got us nowhere. The issue with the team isn't that we have a guy like clune on the roster, its that we had too many lots of character not a lot of skill guys, and quite frankly as far as those go clune is one of the better ones we've had as of late. Lot of teams around here would like a clune type player, we're just so used to them and so hungry for skill that I feel like a lot of people use him as a whipping boy for whats wrong with the organization.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 09:31 PM
glenngineer
HF Partner

Effort is great but he still needs to do something on the ice that matters. He doesn't contribute offensively. He started playing some PK last year but he's not a primary guy there. He misses checks more often than he connects. He's not a very good fighter. So while the effort is great and I admire how he's gotten his life together, that's just not enough for me to overlook his shortcomings a a hockey player.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 10:12 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Tootoo hit like a truck and was a decent fighter. If you need a spark, he provided one. Clune isn't there.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 11:06 PM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreds View Post
I really don't understand all the clune hate. People here are quick to dimiss any player that provides grit leadership and effort without having a lot of skill, partly because for the longest time thats all we had and it got us nowhere. The issue with the team isn't that we have a guy like clune on the roster, its that we had too many lots of character not a lot of skill guys, and quite frankly as far as those go clune is one of the better ones we've had as of late. Lot of teams around here would like a clune type player, we're just so used to them and so hungry for skill that I feel like a lot of people use him as a whipping boy for whats wrong with the organization.
In the past we didn't have the offense to "waste" a nightly spot on a guy with essentially no offensive contribution.

But if we are getting the scoring we need from the top 3 lines and the defense, then having a guy like Clune out there can be a nice luxury, especially if his presence does actually deter some of the crap we've seen directed at our young skilled players in the past.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 11:12 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Projected Lineup, according to NHL.com:

FORWARDS
Colin Wilson - Mike Ribeiro - James Neal
Matt Cullen - Olli Jokinen - Filip Forsberg
Gabriel Bourque - Calle Jarnkrok - Craig Smith
Viktor Stalberg - Paul Gaustad - Eric Nystrom
Derek Roy - Richard Clune

DEFENSE
Roman Josi - Shea Weber
Mattias Ekholm - Seth Jones
Anton Volchenkov - Ryan Ellis*

Victor Bartley

GOALTENDING
Pekka Rinne
Carter Hutton

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Infinite Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Projected Lineup, according to NHL.com:

FORWARDS
Colin Wilson - Mike Ribeiro - James Neal
Matt Cullen - Olli Jokinen - Filip Forsberg
Gabriel Bourque - Calle Jarnkrok - Craig Smith
Viktor Stalberg - Paul Gaustad - Eric Nystrom
Derek Roy - Richard Clune

DEFENSE
Roman Josi - Shea Weber
Mattias Ekholm - Seth Jones
Anton Volchenkov - Ryan Ellis*

Victor Bartley

GOALTENDING
Pekka Rinne
Carter Hutton
Seems legit.
Another stinker from NHL.com.

Infinite Jest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 06:33 AM
glenngineer
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
In the past we didn't have the offense to "waste" a nightly spot on a guy with essentially no offensive contribution.

But if we are getting the scoring we need from the top 3 lines and the defense, then having a guy like Clune out there can be a nice luxury, especially if his presence does actually deter some of the crap we've seen directed at our young skilled players in the past.
Do you really feel Clune deters any crap directed at our young skilled players? The only thing he may hurt in a fight is the other guys hand from it hitting his face. Like I said, I like Clune and respect where is he in life right now but if it means keeping him or possibly losing a guy like Beck because of waivers, I'd say adios to Clune.

Trig summed it up best with his Tootoo comments.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 08:13 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Do you really feel Clune deters any crap directed at our young skilled players? The only thing he may hurt in a fight is the other guys hand from it hitting his face. Like I said, I like Clune and respect where is he in life right now but if it means keeping him or possibly losing a guy like Beck because of waivers, I'd say adios to Clune.

Trig summed it up best with his Tootoo comments.
I dont know because I dont know if Clune was, so to say, allowed to be Clune... ie I dont know if Trotz made sure he played like a regular 4th liner and Lavy will loosen the leash or what.

I do know that Poile wouldnt have signed him to a two year one-way deal had he not planned on using him some

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 08:36 AM
SeventyOneTN

To me, Clune is the Permascratch player. The low pay guy you don't mind if he isn't developing on the team. If that is a role that Beck can play then fine too. However, it might be more fair to Beck if we don't have a better spot than that to let him take a shot elsewhere.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Byrddog

Tootoo had visions of grander of being more than he was or is. Clune is paid far less than Tootoo was. For all his faults trotz gave Tootoo every chance afforded to young players to play a more significant role. Poile paid the guy much more than he was worth and the Wings are paying the guy to play in grand rapids. Tootoo has been more than lucky he has made over 10 mil masquerading as a NHL player.

Clune is Clune he is a 4th liner knows it, knows his minutes are limited and he will be in the pressbox often. He does not sulk and whine like 22 did inparticular the year he was sent down to Milwaukee and the last year of his contract here. Clune was just offered a two year deal and signed and it is not likely he is traded, waived or sent down. He will play his role and rightly so. There is little sense getting rid of him right after you gave him a contract just to make room for a youngster that may or may not be ready for the NHL. There are alot of risk reward projects on the team right now. Ribs, Roy, Wilson, Stalberg, Cullen, and yes even Smith(the guy has had 1 year). So the roster is pretty much set but do not be suprised if there are a couple camp invites for players out there without a contract.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:31 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I dont know because I dont know if Clune was, so to say, allowed to be Clune... ie I dont know if Trotz made sure he played like a regular 4th liner and Lavy will loosen the leash or what.
Fair enough. I think Trotz did preach on keeping penalties down to everyone. Let's see what Lavi does before we judge.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Tootoo had visions of grander of being more than he was or is. Clune is paid far less than Tootoo was. For all his faults trotz gave Tootoo every chance afforded to young players to play a more significant role. Poile paid the guy much more than he was worth and the Wings are paying the guy to play in grand rapids. Tootoo has been more than lucky he has made over 10 mil masquerading as a NHL player.

Clune is Clune he is a 4th liner knows it, knows his minutes are limited and he will be in the pressbox often. He does not sulk and whine like 22 did inparticular the year he was sent down to Milwaukee and the last year of his contract here. Clune was just offered a two year deal and signed and it is not likely he is traded, waived or sent down. He will play his role and rightly so. There is little sense getting rid of him right after you gave him a contract just to make room for a youngster that may or may not be ready for the NHL. There are alot of risk reward projects on the team right now. Ribs, Roy, Wilson, Stalberg, Cullen, and yes even Smith(the guy has had 1 year). So the roster is pretty much set but do not be suprised if there are a couple camp invites for players out there without a contract.
Wow... remind me to remember to think you're actually a pretty bright guy Great post. And true.

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Nothing Is New

Actually, I think the only variable is whether Forsberg is NHL ready (mostly a physical/stamina issue).

You guys can trash Tootoo (and Clune) all you want, but when the Preds played with Tootoo they tended to play well and on the edge. Without him - blah. I don't think you will ever take that factor out of hockey.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Privy
#ShutUpStu

I miss Tootoo, but his game changed for the negative. I miss the big hits and fights, but I don't miss the constant blind drop passes. The guy was a great 4th liner until he thought he was a top 6 talent.

Clune will be the 13th forward. He'll be scratched most nights. If the other team likes to take runs then he'll get some time on ice to try to equalize everything out. Other than that, he'll be in the press box. He's a good locker room guy and he's not really taking a kid's spot so it's not a big deal.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 10:44 AM
edmontonfan59

A little off topic but does anyone know if any of the Rookie Tourney games are Live-streamed anywhere?

edmontonfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Preds33
RIP Shea Weber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonfan59 View Post
A little off topic but does anyone know if any of the Rookie Tourney games are Live-streamed anywhere?
I doubt it.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote