HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/RW Reid Gardiner - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014 undrafted)

Old
04-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Leidi J

vCash: 500
C/RW Reid Gardiner - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014 undrafted)

Birthyear: 1996-01-19
Birthplace: Humboldt, SK
Position: C/RW
Shoots: R
Height: 180 cm / 5'11"
Weight: 84 kg / 185 lbs

He was ranked 29th among NA Skaters in CSS FInal Rankings.

I have two questions. I've seen conflicting reports about whether or not he played with Draisaitl. For those that followed/watched, did a significant amount of his time come on Draisaitl's wing? Or was it just occasionally? And if so... is a lot of his success a result of riding the coattails of a superior player? I feel like we've seen a lot where a guy is rated/drafted high and then doesn't live up to expectations because a lot of their production was a result of a linemate...

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 05:44 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leidi J View Post

Birthyear: 1996-01-19
Birthplace: Humboldt, SK
Position: C/RW
Height: 180 cm / 5'11"
Weight: 84 kg / 185 lbs

He was ranked 29th among NA Skaters in CSS FInal Rankings.

I have two questions. I've seen conflicting reports about whether or not he played with Draisaitl. For those that followed/watched, did a significant amount of his time come on Draisaitl's wing? Or was it just occasionally? And if so... is a lot of his success a result of riding the coattails of a superior player? I feel like we've seen a lot where a guy is rated/drafted high and then doesn't live up to expectations because a lot of their production was a result of a linemate...
I believe he did earlier in the year. In the second half he did not. I could be wrong. Definitely didn't both times I saw PA.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:14 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
I watched him a lot this year and I don't think he ever played with Leon in those games.

Overall, the kid has some potential but really saw his play slip in the second half. Even in the playoffs he was a ghost for the Raiders, hardly involved at all despite playing top 6 minutes. I really think CS has him ranked too high. I think I called him a potential top 75-90 pick in the first half of the season but right now I'd say he's definitely more like a 4th rounder. Ok skater, good shot. Should have a solid season next year in the WHL, though.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:44 AM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 400
What RS said. Barely played with Leon at all. Played mostly with Jayden Hart (to whom I attribute most of Reid's struggles, I'll touch on that later) and Calder Brooks in the second half.

He has a really, really good shot, and plays hard both ways, but his skating is just alright, his vision is lacking, etc. etc. I have him pegged as a solid 3rd rounder, but a big project.

The reason his play dropped off, IMO, is due to his linemates, and Clouston's inability or ineptitude to change it. Him and Hart HATE each other. I'm talking fist fights occurred, and this was known around PA. However, Clouston refused to split them up until game 4 of the Edmonton series. They didn't work well together at all, and hardly acknowledged the other in goal celebrations. I think he has a lot better year next year, as Hart'll likely be gone, and people will see what he's capable of.

I don't really have a solid comparison for him, but I see his ceiling being a 3rd line center that chips in 20 goals in his prime.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 11:55 PM
Leidi J

"Many predicted that this year would be a breakout one for Garinder, and after more than doubling his offensive production, it’s easy to see why. Team Captain Josh Morrissey helps provide some insight on what has led to Gardiner’s success this season… his work ethic. He really cares about the game and it shows, not only in his play in all three zones, but also in his preparation.

Over the course of the year, he earned a permanent place on both special teams and continued to be an effective player. Hard to move in front of the net or off the boards, his determination has certainly helped thrust him up draft boards. With good vision and smooth skating to compliment his work ethic, Gardiner has been proving many right about his breakout year." - Pro Puck Prospects

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 07:33 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

The Next Ones profile on Reid - via Ryan Pike @ THW

Excerpt:

Quote:
"Numbers aren’t everything. Some in hockey circles rightly argue that stats in hockey – even ones like goals and assists – are fairly meaningless. Reid Gardiner would likely argue that the main statistic that should matter to NHL scouts and general managers come the 2014 NHL Draft should be wins. And on a team that didn’t boast a lot of fire-power offensively, the Prince Albert Raiders won more games than they lost and made the playoffs in the WHL’s ultra-competitive Eastern Conference...."

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:08 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

A bit surprised he went totally undrafted. I thought he'd get picked up by someone.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:39 PM
R S

I've been very hard on him in the second half of this season, but I agree that I'm a bit surprised he went unpicked. I thought it was laughable that some had him pegged as a 2nd round kind of guy. 4th or 5th? That's what I expected.

Old
06-28-2014, 04:01 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post
I've been very hard on him in the second half of this season, but I agree that I'm a bit surprised he went unpicked. I thought it was laughable that some had him pegged as a 2nd round kind of guy. 4th or 5th? That's what I expected.
More worthy than Mackenze Stewart if you ask me...

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:11 PM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
More worthy than Mackenze Stewart if you ask me...
Oy. Big time.

Old
06-10-2015, 03:55 PM
R S

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...nhl-draft.html

#53 Reid Gardiner*

Team: Prince Albert Raiders
Position: RW/C
Height: 5’10.5
Weight: 187
GP: 67
Goals: 34
Assists: 30
Pts/Gm: 0.95
PIM: 44

Player Analysis: Reid Gardiner is a sturdy goal-scoring forward for the Prince Albert Raiders…has a wide base to his skating stride, which generates solid power and subsequent speed even though it’s not the most efficient stride…isn’t a great accelerator for his size as his toes point out a bit, but would definitely classify him as both a quick and fast skater overall…his skating has shown solid progression since last year…is the owner of a fantastic shot…wrist shot release is absolutely high-end and he can beat goalies from distance…shot is also both heavy and accurate…understands offensive spacing…seems to understand defenders hip and shoulder angles on the rush and uses that to gain a step…that part of his game is aided by his low centre of gravity as he can use that step to drive wide…reads the play well, also knowing when to pull up to create a gap for himself…carries the puck with confidence and has a decent bag of tricks when it comes to beating a defender 1 on 1…seems to be a player that is both a threat off the cycle and off the rush…has a bit of grit to his game away from the puck, although it was rather hit and miss in my viewings this season…will hit and throw his weight around at times…is strong on the backcheck and reads the play fairly well defensively…his overall commitment away from the puck is also rather inconsistent based on my viewings…was used primarily as a winger this season and moved around the top 6 of their lineup fairly regularly…was also a regular on special teams including spending a bit of time on the point on the powerplay in some viewings…also had viewings where he wasn’t being used on the half-wall, which is where I would have had him stationed…I think he projects far better as a winger at the next level, despite being listed as both that an as a centre in many places…I rated him as a mid-round pick last year but wasn’t overly surprised to see him go undrafted due to his only ok skating, fairly average size and complete lack of production in the second half of the year…he attended development camp with the Minnesota Wild after going undrafted in 2014…was selected in the 1st round, 8th overall, by the Prince Albert Raiders in the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft…overall I don’t see Gardiner as being a draftable player this year, even though I do appreciate his fairly solid progression since last year…while I appreciate his shot and improved speed in particular, I just like too many other players at this point to rank him within my top 7 rounds…I do feel that he’s a good enough scorer to have pro potential down the line and he’s certainly a good enough player to make a living in the game whether it be in the AHL or Europe…

Old
11-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Sticks and Pucks

What are people's thoughts on Gardiner's play this season? Top scorer on the best team in the Eastern Conference. Does he have a shot at the WJC?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote