HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q&A with Panthers co-owner Doug Cifu

Old
08-09-2014, 10:52 AM
coopdaloop123

vCash: 500
Q&A with Panthers co-owner Doug Cifu

Howdy, was recently able to catch up with Panthers co-owner Doug Cifu to discuss the experience of being of a rookie owner in the NHL as well as the desire to build a winner in South Florida.

He touches on everything from the roster to the firing of the ice dancers.

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/sto...t-track-080914

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Chaos2k7

Still sounds like a lot of posturing between ownership and the county...

Chaos2k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 12:53 PM
jol

From the article:
"With respect to the ice dancers, it had nothing to do with money as some have speculated. We were contacted by a number of fans that bring young children to games who expressed some level of concern regarding the ice dancers. As a father of two children who are 11 and 12, I understood and respected their points of view which are consistent with our hockey-first vision for Panthers games. We want our fans to be entertained and leave feeling great about the experience, and that begins and ends on the ice."
What was the concern, ice dancers were violent, fighting each other?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 01:05 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

good scoop Coops.

Just not buying the ice dancer thing. how many complaints to football fans submit over cheerleaders. the girls were very professional, mostly students, and add a lot more than the "rat pack" fake cheerers.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Big Bjugs
Amat Victoria Curam

vCash: 157
The firing of the ice dancers gets us one step further, away from being a joke franchise. Cheerleaders at hockey games? Come on really...

Finally the Panthers are taking a step into being serious about the on ice product. Great move, but I don't buy the fans excuse he used. He just didn't want to come out and say they were useless. I did that all the time at my old job when I fired someone that was useless. Just said the customers had too many complaints about them.

Big Bjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 01:12 PM
EnforceTheLaus
#Catlantic

Quote:
Both Vinnie and I are great listeners and learners from people who have a lot more experience than we do in a subject matter and getting to spend a considerable amount of time with a legend like Mr. (Bill) Torrey and with our general manager Dale Talon evaluating games and players has been everything and more than we expected. As a kid who grew up watching Mr. Torrey's Islanders beat my beloved Rangers, having the opportunity to watch our Panthers practice and play while listening to Mr. Torrey's analysis and observations is a life blessing.

: Having experienced one season, we concluded that we wanted the hockey experience at the BB&T to be just that -- all about hockey. We also know that while we want more fans, we have a very passionate, smart, loyal fan base that has seen a lot more Panthers games than we have in on one season. So we asked (team president Rory Babich) to make the experience all about hockey and focus all of our efforts on building a passionate, hockey-centric fan base.
Torrey continues to be the most important man in this team's history. I'll never worry about the org as long he's involved.

Finally to the second quote that is long time coming.

EnforceTheLaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 01:38 PM
coopdaloop123

In regards to his comments on the ice dancers, I know where he is coming from. While all of the girls were great, I did hear often from ppl who complained about the message it sent. Nothing against what they were doing, but it was more the fact that girls would dance around in very limited clothing while the men would play hockey on the ice. I think people just thought it sometimes send the wrong message.

Old
08-09-2014, 02:42 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Not a bandwaggoner

vCash: 50
Cheerleaders at hockey games is ridiculous, so happy they're gone. Hopefully one of many positive changes to come.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 03:16 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
good scoop Coops.

Just not buying the ice dancer thing. how many complaints to football fans submit over cheerleaders. the girls were very professional, mostly students, and add a lot more than the "rat pack" fake cheerers.
Amen brother.

As I have said previously, the only way the ice dancers move will sit well with me is if the Rat Pack follows them into the dumpster.

In this article he talks about wanting to create a hockey experience. There is no excuse to have the Rat Pack around to create a hockey experience... unless somehow you confuse hockey with hokey.

Is there anyone here who actually thinks they add anything at all to the experience? I mean, other than aggravation...

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 06:18 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
good scoop Coops.

Add a lot more? To YOUR imagination!? Creep! They didn't do anything, didn't even lead cheers!

Rat pack were/are equally uninspiring, they stopped me from sounding off at times lol. I would love for them to follow the dancers.

Who cares, MOAR HOCKEY!~!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 06:23 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdaloop123 View Post
In regards to his comments on the ice dancers, I know where he is coming from. While all of the girls were great, I did hear often from ppl who complained about the message it sent. Nothing against what they were doing, but it was more the fact that girls would dance around in very limited clothing while the men would play hockey on the ice. I think people just thought it sometimes send the wrong message.
I would like for my 6 month old to grow up to be like Sarah Tueting, NOT Anna Nicole.

Old
08-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Big Bjugs
Amat Victoria Curam

vCash: 157
Let me ask you guys this. What would you do if Florida became the first team to have all male dancers?

Big Bjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 07:53 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bjugs View Post
Let me ask you guys this. What would you do if Florida became the first team to have all male dancers?
Petition to change our name to the Wilton Manors Pansers

Old
08-09-2014, 08:48 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bjugs View Post
If women were a primary demographic that they were trying to attract and women enjoyed that sort of thing as much as men do, I would have no issue.

Old
08-09-2014, 08:52 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
I would like for my 6 month old to grow up to be like Sarah Tueting, NOT Anna Nicole.
I get what you are trying to say, but I think comparing cheerleaders to a blatant gold digger is a bit unfair.

Old
08-09-2014, 09:57 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdaloop123 View Post
Not that I have a problem with it but I don't think men in very limited clothing and women playing hockey would sell too well. I also have to laugh at firing the ice dancers because some uptight parents feel the need to play booby police.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 03:17 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Not that I have a problem with it but I don't think men in very limited clothing and women playing hockey would sell too well. I also have to laugh at firing the ice dancers because some uptight parents feel the need to play booby police.
The thing is, why would you sell men in limited clothing and womens hockey in a package in the first place. It's not as much about being uptight booby police, as it is about the mixed signals in gender equality. I know it's the general views of the audience that either label the dancers "Anna Nicole's" or professional entertainers like the athletes themselves. But it's exactly these subjective views which make the questions and answers about gender equality vague.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 01:43 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
The thing is, why would you sell men in limited clothing and womens hockey in a package in the first place. It's not as much about being uptight booby police, as it is about the mixed signals in gender equality. I know it's the general views of the audience that either label the dancers "Anna Nicole's" or professional entertainers like the athletes themselves. But it's exactly these subjective views which make the questions and answers about gender equality vague.
You wouldn't sell that package, I was joking of course. Personally I don't care whether we have ice dancers or not but at the end of the day the dancers no longer have that paying gig because "We were contacted by a number of fans that bring young children to games who expressed some level of concern regarding the ice dancers".

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Catsfan7
HFB Partner

Why has no one talked about club dead yet?

Quote:
So we asked (team president Rory Babich) to make the experience all about hockey and focus all of our efforts on building a passionate, hockey-centric fan base. That's why you will see a smaller footprint for Club Red this year because our loyal fans, that want to be behind the benches but do not want an all-inclusive experience, had been displaced. We heard from them either directly at games or on great fan blogs like Litter Box Cats and Panther Parkway. no one mentioned what he said about club dead?
This is the best part of the article

Catsfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 01:46 PM
HockeyRulez
Catlantic is here!

Didn't like this part of the response to the last question:

"That being said, as you said in your question, the arena and the team have lost a significant amount of money year over year for the last 10-plus years and the current business model is not sustainable."

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 01:49 PM
HockeyRulez
Catlantic is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsfan7 View Post
Why has no one talked about club dead yet?

This is the best part of the article
yea, definitely the best part of the article. Thank goodness finally something done about that awful "club"

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 01:52 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
Didn't like this part of the response to the last question:

"That being said, as you said in your question, the arena and the team have lost a significant amount of money year over year for the last 10-plus years and the current business model is not sustainable."
political posturing looking for more handouts when ownership knew what they bargained for.

Old
08-10-2014, 01:56 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Add a lot more? To YOUR imagination!? Creep! They didn't do anything, didn't even lead cheers!

Rat pack were/are equally uninspiring, they stopped me from sounding off at times lol. I would love for them to follow the dancers.

Who cares, MOAR HOCKEY!~!
So when will the heat dances and dolphin cheerleaders be rid of?

Come on dude they were scapegoats. As ATF said, if they at the same time rid the rat pack and sum of the other dumbarse between whistle crap, it would be more believable. this is a cost saver cloaked as political correctness until evidenced otherwise.

Old
08-10-2014, 02:30 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:

Come on dude they were scapegoats. As ATF said, if they at the same time rid the rat pack and sum of the other dumbarse between whistle crap, it would be more believable. this is a cost saver cloaked as political correctness until evidenced otherwise.
It really isn't that big a cost saver, though. The dancers weren't on salary, they were paid on a game-by-game basis and it wasn't that much. If I had to guess, I would assume the Calender profits easily covered the cost.

The difference in the rat pack (I agree it's very cheesy and awkward) is that it's their job to go into the stands and interact w/ the fans and do contests/giveaways etc. That is still necessary, they just need to repackage it as something else that doesn't seem as lame.

Just my 2 cents

Old
08-10-2014, 02:36 PM
pantherbot

Quote:

I really doubt the ice dancers cost very much and that getting rid of them would save any significant amount of money.

Regardless of what you think about the Bolland contract or any of our other over-paid players, our payroll is $5 million from the cap and we haven't even signed Ekblad yet. Short of sending down underperforming overpaid guys to the minors (which very few teams do), what more do you want from them in terms of spending...?

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote