HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q&A with Panthers co-owner Doug Cifu

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2014, 10:58 PM
  #26
Chino Oscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 835
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
Didn't like this part of the response to the last question:

"That being said, as you said in your question, the arena and the team have lost a significant amount of money year over year for the last 10-plus years and the current business model is not sustainable."
It may be posturing with all the on-going negotiations and such. I am pretty sure the team get profits from all the other events held at the BB&T center. At the same time, if your hockey team can only support itself by the profits brought in by other event, then there is obviously a problem. As always in South Florida, lets hope this team starts winning so the fans start showing up. So far, ownership has delivered on their promise to up the payroll, no complains here. Let's hope it reflects on the product on the ice.

Chino Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 01:44 AM
  #27
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around
 
ucanthanzalthetruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,878
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
Didn't like this part of the response to the last question:

"That being said, as you said in your question, the arena and the team have lost a significant amount of money year over year for the last 10-plus years and the current business model is not sustainable."
I didn't like how he ignored the question of where he saw the team in 5 years.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 10:08 AM
  #28
Hagged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
I didn't like how he ignored the question of where he saw the team in 5 years.
Maybe he thinks they will have to add winning games to their businessmodel. He just wants to leave it as a surprise that the team will have three straight cup wins in 5 years.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 10:57 AM
  #29
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
Maybe he thinks they will have to add winning games to their businessmodel. He just wants to leave it as a surprise that the team will have three straight cup wins in 5 years.
Honestly, with all the talent and youth, I kinda leave it up to a good coaching structure to tie it all together. I hope Gallant can pull off what Tallon expects of him. I don't want a team to ride the back of Eichel or McDavid, I want team chemistry and we have enough talented kids.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:59 AM
  #30
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I really doubt the ice dancers cost very much and that getting rid of them would save any significant amount of money.

Regardless of what you think about the Bolland contract or any of our other over-paid players, our payroll is $5 million from the cap and we haven't even signed Ekblad yet. Short of sending down underperforming overpaid guys to the minors (which very few teams do), what more do you want from them in terms of spending...?
No problem with WHAT they spent (we can always argue HOW they spent it).

Its just embarrassing to cloak the firing of the dancers as they have. Are they saying the heat dancers and dolphin cheerleaders are counterproductive? Just cut the PC crap and come out and saythe reason was cost (like the firing of the sales staff). If I see the ratpack is gone as well as the chuckecheese level between whistle crap, then Ill believe it was meant to "bring back hockey"

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
  #31
IM Clutcm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Did anyone else see the article from The Hockey News that completely took Coop's article out of context? It was such a poorly written piece that they took it down less than an hour after they put it up lol.

IM Clutcm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 07:11 PM
  #32
coopdaloop123
HFB Partner
 
coopdaloop123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM Clutcm View Post
Did anyone else see the article from The Hockey News that completely took Coop's article out of context? It was such a poorly written piece that they took it down less than an hour after they put it up lol.
I sent him a message and corrected him. He took it down shortly thereafter. At least they didn't leave it up.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 07:30 PM
  #33
IM Clutcm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdaloop123 View Post
I sent him a message and corrected him. He took it down shortly thereafter. At least they didn't leave it up.
Ah, ok. They've replaced it with essentially the same article, just a few different condescending comments this time around.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/pa...e-anyone-else/

Is there a real possibility that this team moves? After reading the board here about Broward county hiring the consultant, I felt pretty confident that the team will stay. I got the feeling that Viola and Cifu wanted to keep it here and see what attendance would be like with a winner on the ice. I'm not getting that feeling anymore. I read the comments on Facebook from this article (mistake, I know) and it was the usual elitist fans calling for relocation, but it seems that other experts in the hockey community are feeling the Panthers will relocate soon. And it doesn't help that Cifu came out and said that it's not sustainable the way it is right now. I'm feeling really uneasy about this...

IM Clutcm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 07:42 PM
  #34
FrolikFan67
Registered User
 
FrolikFan67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
him saying the way the team is currently structured is not sustainable is correct tho, i wouldnt worry about it. we've been a bottom dweller for so long, there has to be changes.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 07:51 PM
  #35
Lola
Future Panthers
 
Lola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsfan7 View Post
Why has no one talked about club dead yet?




This is the best part of the article
That will help the optics of this club for sure. I'm glad they're minimizing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM Clutcm View Post
Did anyone else see the article from The Hockey News that completely took Coop's article out of context? It was such a poorly written piece that they took it down less than an hour after they put it up lol.
Caught it on my FB feed, and figured, 'hey, I haven't had a punishing-enough Monday, let me read the comments to put a cherry on top.' I've got 'friends' harassing me constantly about this team moving. Get sick of hearing/reading it.

WRT the Dancers; good riddance. *I* was one of those parents who told my sales rep that I wouldn't be renewing my tickets until they were gone. I don't pay thousands to see dancers, I pay to see the game being played. They were useless anyway.

Guess I'll check out the packages available now, and go to some games this year.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 07:51 PM
  #36
IM Clutcm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
him saying the way the team is currently structured is not sustainable is correct tho, i wouldnt worry about it. we've been a bottom dweller for so long, there has to be changes.
That makes sense. Very few teams can go through as much futility as the Panthers have and still have fans at the games. Him saying it that way just makes it really easy for the meatheads to jump all over it and take it as a sign that the team is relocating, though. I'm so sick of the condescending ****** that can't stand the Panthers because "hockey doesn't belong in the South" and blah blah blah. Will it ever end? Even if the Panthers start winning and selling out every game, these fans will likely still try and find something wrong with the franchise and continue to call for relocation.

IM Clutcm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 07:52 PM
  #37
coopdaloop123
HFB Partner
 
coopdaloop123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
him saying the way the team is currently structured is not sustainable is correct tho, i wouldnt worry about it. we've been a bottom dweller for so long, there has to be changes.
Exactly. He can't lie and say this team is magically making money now. Changes need to and hopefully will be made. Team has to shown signs of improvement and people need to show up. If both parties contribute then things should be fine.

Also, I find it funny that one negative article about the Panthers was simply replaced by another negative article about the Panthers ... I feel like when certain outlets have a slow news day they just turn to each other and say, "uh, Panthers?" and then they all reply, "Panthers!" And get to work.

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 08:30 PM
  #38
IM Clutcm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdaloop123 View Post
Exactly. He can't lie and say this team is magically making money now. Changes need to and hopefully will be made. Team has to shown signs of improvement and people need to show up. If both parties contribute then things should be fine.

Also, I find it funny that one negative article about the Panthers was simply replaced by another negative article about the Panthers ... I feel like when certain outlets have a slow news day they just turn to each other and say, "uh, Panthers?" and then they all reply, "Panthers!" And get to work.
If there's one thing most hockey fans seem to agree on, it's that hockey doesn't belong in the south, especially South Florida.

A playoff season would be HUGE for keeping this team in South Florida long-term. I really hope it happens. If this team is in the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes next year, I feel like the chances of staying in South Florida take a major hit. It feels like it's now or never!

IM Clutcm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:21 PM
  #39
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around
 
ucanthanzalthetruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,878
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdaloop123 View Post
Exactly. He can't lie and say this team is magically making money now. Changes need to and hopefully will be made. Team has to shown signs of improvement and people need to show up. If both parties contribute then things should be fine.

Also, I find it funny that one negative article about the Panthers was simply replaced by another negative article about the Panthers ... I feel like when certain outlets have a slow news day they just turn to each other and say, "uh, Panthers?" and then they all reply, "Panthers!" And get to work.
I agree, but he did dodge the question Also in the new THN article, he makes it seem like the arbitrator decides the fate of the team, which isn't the case.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:34 PM
  #40
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdaloop123 View Post
Exactly. He can't lie and say this team is magically making money now. Changes need to and hopefully will be made. Team has to shown signs of improvement and people need to show up. If both parties contribute then things should be fine.

Also, I find it funny that one negative article about the Panthers was simply replaced by another negative article about the Panthers ... I feel like when certain outlets have a slow news day they just turn to each other and say, "uh, Panthers?" and then they all reply, "Panthers!" And get to work.
THN is just feeding the northern trolls always chatting relo's. Its pathetic.

Facts are its just business posturing on both sides so normal in business. Clearly he knew what he was buying he's just trying to leverage a better deal.

No NY'er buys a florida product to move it to the cold lol.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:47 PM
  #41
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
THN is just feeding the northern trolls always chatting relo's. Its pathetic.

Facts are its just business posturing on both sides so normal in business. Clearly he knew what he was buying he's just trying to leverage a better deal.

No NY'er buys a florida product to move it to the cold lol.
This.

Reading the interview (which was again a great read), I could feel the shields going up the moment the topic was breached with Cifu.

That was formulaic, "what the heck do you expect me to say" stuff from someone in his position.

The team is arguing that they need a better deal to stay because THEY WANT A BETTER DEAL, not because they don't want to stay.

Ownership has to be very, very careful to stress (in order to further their own interest):

1. They have no intention of leaving
2. They may leave if they don't get what they want

They walk a fine line between those two, as one would expect.

If they say what you want to hear "we will stay in South Florida no matter what happens" - poof - their leverage is gone.

__________________




angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:56 PM
  #42
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdaloop123 View Post
It really isn't that big a cost saver, though. The dancers weren't on salary, they were paid on a game-by-game basis and it wasn't that much. If I had to guess, I would assume the Calender profits easily covered the cost.

The difference in the rat pack (I agree it's very cheesy and awkward) is that it's their job to go into the stands and interact w/ the fans and do contests/giveaways etc. That is still necessary, they just need to repackage it as something else that doesn't seem as lame.

Just my 2 cents
I don't find it necessary (or desirable) to have people going into the stands (unless it's to sell me a beer) nor do I find it necessary (or desirable) to have contests/giveaways.

If you want to make it about the hockey - get rid of the Rat Pack.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 10:50 PM
  #43
pantherbot
Registered User
 
pantherbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
No problem with WHAT they spent (we can always argue HOW they spent it).

Its just embarrassing to cloak the firing of the dancers as they have. Are they saying the heat dancers and dolphin cheerleaders are counterproductive? Just cut the PC crap and come out and saythe reason was cost (like the firing of the sales staff). If I see the ratpack is gone as well as the chuckecheese level between whistle crap, then Ill believe it was meant to "bring back hockey"
I think basketball and football have a much longer history with cheerleaders and most teams in those leagues at different levels (pro and otherwise) have cheerleaders. Hockey however, doesn't have any history with the typical cheeleader and as far as I know, most teams don't have some cheerleader squad.

Having some sort of Rat Pack is a normal practice at pretty much most sporting events, with giveaways and whatnot, so I don't see them going away anytime soon (or some variation of them that is less lame). There has never been a hockey-cheeleader connection, hence why I believe getting rid of them is a return to focus more on hockey-related entertainment.

If they could bring in an organist, that would be awesome.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 02:26 AM
  #44
spacemanatee
Registered User
 
spacemanatee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 544
vCash: 500
cheerleading = sexist. it makes me sick when i think about it.

spacemanatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 06:16 AM
  #45
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I think basketball and football have a much longer history with cheerleaders and most teams in those leagues at different levels (pro and otherwise) have cheerleaders. Hockey however, doesn't have any history with the typical cheeleader and as far as I know, most teams don't have some cheerleader squad.

Having some sort of Rat Pack is a normal practice at pretty much most sporting events, with giveaways and whatnot, so I don't see them going away anytime soon (or some variation of them that is less lame). There has never been a hockey-cheeleader connection, hence why I believe getting rid of them is a return to focus more on hockey-related entertainment.

If they could bring in an organist, that would be awesome.
Don't recall ever seeing them at MSG
Don't recall ever seeing them at Air Canada Center
Don't recall ever seeing them in Sunrise until a few seasons ago

Not sure where this idea of a "pep team" came from, but it's a very bad one.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 08:50 AM
  #46
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,498
vCash: 500
The way i read that piece about the business plan was another dig on the yormark regime with its phony advertising everywhere and expansion of premium seats. Even though it was gimmicky, it made the organization survive for greater than 10 years with terrible drafting and not enough money spent on quality players.

The new business plan Im guessing calls for the scaling back of the gimmicky bull and an increase in spending on players (whether those players will take us to the promised land year-over-year remains to be seen).

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 11:43 AM
  #47
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
THN is just feeding the northern trolls always chatting relo's. Its pathetic.

Facts are its just business posturing on both sides so normal in business. Clearly he knew what he was buying he's just trying to leverage a better deal.

No NY'er buys a florida product to move it to the cold lol.
I dare anyone to argue!!

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 12:06 PM
  #48
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Don't recall ever seeing them at MSG
Don't recall ever seeing them at Air Canada Center
Don't recall ever seeing them in Sunrise until a few seasons ago

Not sure where this idea of a "pep team" came from, but it's a very bad one.
Nor at Giants Stadium!!!!

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 01:03 PM
  #49
Big Bjugs
Amat victoria curam
 
Big Bjugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Armstrong, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
On the subject of prep teams and cheerleaders, why doesn't Stanley C Panther do any fan interaction and shooting/throwing **** up in the stands, or whatever it is they do? Kids go crazy for mascots and its less awkward for hockey nuts like us when they don't say a word.

For example, at the Florida vs Canucks game I was at, Finn(their mascot) had 3 hot girls help him load a cannon and then he shot the free shirt into the stands, as greasy as that sounds. That was the end of the girls other than they cleaned the ice during commercial breaks. Then as the game goes on, during stoppages Finn would be the one banging a drum getting a chant going or biting opposing teams fans on the head, I was one of them sadly, or interacting with the children who would literally follow him everywhere.

Throughout the game he would be everywhere in the stands from upper bowl, lower bowl, concession, knowing Vancouver probably in the mens bathroom, you name it. No prep team or any awkward conversation with a talking stranger.

Big Bjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 02:15 PM
  #50
FlaPanthers11
Registered User
 
FlaPanthers11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bjugs View Post
On the subject of prep teams and cheerleaders, why doesn't Stanley C Panther do any fan interaction and shooting/throwing **** up in the stands, or whatever it is they do? Kids go crazy for mascots and its less awkward for hockey nuts like us when they don't say a word.

For example, at the Florida vs Canucks game I was at, Finn(their mascot) had 3 hot girls help him load a cannon and then he shot the free shirt into the stands, as greasy as that sounds. That was the end of the girls other than they cleaned the ice during commercial breaks. Then as the game goes on, during stoppages Finn would be the one banging a drum getting a chant going or biting opposing teams fans on the head, I was one of them sadly, or interacting with the children who would literally follow him everywhere.

Throughout the game he would be everywhere in the stands from upper bowl, lower bowl, concession, knowing Vancouver probably in the mens bathroom, you name it. No prep team or any awkward conversation with a talking stranger.
He does. The rat pack is like his personal help.

FlaPanthers11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.