HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Computer Streaming of Games

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Telaeus

vCash: 500
Computer Streaming of Games

I remember reading as part of the contract OLN signed with the NHL, that they were going to provide computer streaming of games. Since I live in the Philly area and have Directv, this would be the only way for me to get the games without having to get Comcast cable as well. Has anyone heard what website would offer the streaming, or what the pricing for games would be? I haven't seen anything on any of the normal sports websites, nor on the Comcast site.

Thanks.

Old
09-17-2005, 11:31 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
haven't heard anything about streaming the games but if this is true, it would be huge for me because I have DirectTv too and don't get the local games.

Old
09-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
haven't heard anything about streaming the games but if this is true, it would be huge for me because I have DirectTv too and don't get the local games.
What do you mean the "local games?" The home games? That's odd, because I've never heard of Center Ice blacking out any games, actually. I guess you're in Philadelphia?

Old
09-17-2005, 04:16 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telaeus
I remember reading as part of the contract OLN signed with the NHL, that they were going to provide computer streaming of games. Since I live in the Philly area and have Directv, this would be the only way for me to get the games without having to get Comcast cable as well. Has anyone heard what website would offer the streaming, or what the pricing for games would be? I haven't seen anything on any of the normal sports websites, nor on the Comcast site.

Thanks.
I remember hearing about streaming, too. In fact, I was planning to make full use of that service during my CPSC night classes.

Right now, the only info is from the NHL press release that is extremely vague about it and doesn't actually suggest that OLN will provide the streaming, even though it's in the agreement press release. It may just be something like the AHL where they take the arena's closed-circuit feed and pipe it into a stream server. However, something like what the Wolves do would rock my socks off too.

There's an OLN forums thread about the topic, but it's not answered. http://ww2.olntv.com/olnbb/viewtopic.php?t=3645

Old
09-18-2005, 12:31 AM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
What do you mean the "local games?" The home games? That's odd, because I've never heard of Center Ice blacking out any games, actually. I guess you're in Philadelphia?
I'm in South Jersey and the games are blacked out on Direct tv because of comcast. just like the Phillies and Sixers....

Old
09-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
I'm in South Jersey and the games are blacked out on Direct tv because of comcast. just like the Phillies and Sixers....
With Center Ice?

I've just never heard of that. I'm pretty close to Philly myself and I've never had a blackout. Sorry abou the luck.

Old
09-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Flyers26

Check XM's website. Maybe they might do it, since they have the NHL.

Old
09-18-2005, 10:07 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
Check XM's website. Maybe they might do it, since they have the NHL.
Does 610AM do live streaming?

Old
09-18-2005, 10:22 PM
HiddenSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai
Does 610AM do live streaming?
Yes, 610 WIP started internet streaming this summer, but they aren't allowed to stream the Flyers games under the term of their contract.

Old
09-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Telaeus

The way it works in the Philly area (I'm actually in Jersey, about 20 minutes from Philly), Comcast has exclusive rights to the Flyers broadcasts. Comcast uses ground based cables, not satellites to broadcast their feeds, so they're not required by law to provide their broadcasts to competition using satellites (Directv). This is how I understand it anyway. If they used even one satellite to provide any part of the service in the area, they'd be required to provide the feed to competition using satellites. I think it's the same in the Baltimore area with Comcast as well. And I remember seeing an interview with the CEO (I think) of Comcast a couple years ago that they have no intention of allowing Directv to get access to their broadcasts.

This is why I was kind of shocked to see in that press release last month that streaming video was going to be provided. I know I'd rather spend a few bucks per game than to have to sign up for Comcast... I'm not losing Directv because I'm also a Giants fan... which means the only way I get their games is Directv... I'm a very geographically challenged fan.

Old
09-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
This is why I was kind of shocked to see in that press release last month that streaming video was going to be provided. I know I'd rather spend a few bucks per game than to have to sign up for Comcast... I'm not losing Directv because I'm also a Giants fan... which means the only way I get their games is Directv... I'm a very geographically challenged fan.
priorities.

personally i would (do) wander out to a sportsbar for the NFL. when i was looking for apt's in philly i actually was nixing places if they didn't get comcast...

Old
09-19-2005, 09:18 AM
PRB

Yeah dont MLB.com allow you to buy a package to watch all the games? Hopefully NHL.com can get into something like that, I would be sure to buy it.

Old
09-19-2005, 10:48 AM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
The way it works in the Philly area (I'm actually in Jersey, about 20 minutes from Philly), Comcast has exclusive rights to the Flyers broadcasts. Comcast uses ground based cables, not satellites to broadcast their feeds, so they're not required by law to provide their broadcasts to competition using satellites (Directv). This is how I understand it anyway. If they used even one satellite to provide any part of the service in the area, they'd be required to provide the feed to competition using satellites. I think it's the same in the Baltimore area with Comcast as well. And I remember seeing an interview with the CEO (I think) of Comcast a couple years ago that they have no intention of allowing Directv to get access to their broadcasts.

bingo! I am in the same boat and feel the same way about Directv NFL package because I am a Cowboys fan.

anyway, I do have comcast cable modem, so the other night, I took a splitter an ran a line to a small tv in my computer room. I hooked it to an old black box I used back in the day and it worked...I get basic cable, meaning I get the Flyers games so I am happy as hell right now.

screw you comcast!

Old
09-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Steve L*

Cant someone with center ice stream games for us thousands of miles away from Flyer land.

Old
09-19-2005, 06:00 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Cant someone with center ice stream games for us thousands of miles away from Flyer land.
If someone could do that it would be great.

Old
09-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
If someone could do that it would be great.

Agreed.

OT: Ice berg. Love your avatar.

Closed Thread