HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers: Eakins will need to be much better in year two in order to keep his job

Old
08-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
But what if they DO make the playoffs this year.

What then?

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Aerchon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I don't get this thinking. Nobody realistically thinks this team has a shot at making the playoffs so what does Eakins have to do to save his job? If he's dead meat anyway like so many of you think he is then why hasn't he been fired already? If this team was expected to make the playoffs and they faltered out of the gate then I'd expect him to be fired fairly quickly. I don't see this team being in that position right now. They should be in 2015-16 and that's why I think that's when his job will be in jeopardy, I really don't think that's the case this year though.
This roster with even an average NHL coach would make the playoffs in the East.

With a great coach this roster is most certainly able to make it to the playoffs even in the West.

Just my opinion.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:35 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Show progress.

In my opinion Krueger went further with a worse roster than Eakins did. That team was heading in the right direction. Last season was a step back. To get yet another coach to start yet another season is tough for the young players. To get some continuity in their development, maybe keeping the coach isnt the worst idea. Even though I think he's the worst of the bunch, it may be the lesser evil.

The mistake was made in canning Krueger and hiring Eakins in the first place, but whats done is done.
Progress from what exactly? Is it progress from the team Tambellini and Krueger had in eighth place at the trade deadline a couple years ago or progress from the team Mactavish and Eakins finished last in the west by a large margin last year? Iirc, Tambellini and by extension Krueger, were fired because the organization felt like the team was ready to turn the corner and Mactavish and by extension Eakins, were the people to get them there. We're not hearing the same big talk we were hearing from these guys last summer so I suspect Mactavish feels it's the latter. I don't think it'll take much for Eakins to save his job this year.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:43 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
This roster with even an average NHL coach would make the playoffs in the East.

With a great coach this roster is most certainly able to make it to the playoffs even in the West.

Just my opinion.
This opinion was shared by many last offseason yet this team finished last and Eakins survived anyway. What makes this year different? As I see it he's only lowered expectations by supposedly exposing many flaws in his players and in the process given himself a longer leash.

Old
08-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Progress from what exactly? Is it progress from the team Tambellini and Krueger had in eighth place at the trade deadline a couple years ago or progress from the team Mactavish and Eakins finished last in the west by a large margin last year?
Probably the latter, unfortunatly

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Oi'll say!
Alberta's Team

The real question is "Is Eakins doing poorly enough to merit a promotion like MacT and KLo got when they sucked the life out of the team?"

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 10:32 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'd give him 18-20 games. If the results are still garbage, turf him.

That's really three training camps he'll have had (last season + Olympic break + this year's camp) to implement some kind of workable system for this team, if he still can't do that, he needs to go.
I can think of alot of intances in history where the GM was vocal about not judging a coach until the GM felt he had given them a proper team.

I said it last year that i believed MacT, as shown by his candid statements on being involved in trade discussion for players throughout the year, was not willing to judge Eakins yet because of the state of the roster.
This season our wing depth is the best i remember it being after the exodus of 06....which was the best it had been since the glory years of messier gretz and mactavish down the middle.
Our centre depth really isnt worse than it was last year..and i am actually confident that there is a solution coming. Our defense is the best it has been since 06 which includes the fact we will have a "kindof" rookie in Marincin, and a defensively brain dead Justin Schultz. Our goaltending isnt even comparable to the three year circus show that was a laugh reel of highlights for sports networks. Dubnyks gaffes were more famous than Jays call of BOBROVSKIIIIIIII!!!! Goaltending so bad two other nhl teams thought...hmmm he did play in the nhl mybe he isnt that bad...then were proved he is actually that bad and they dumped him to minors where he will stay the rest of his days. Not even backup.

If Eakins cant get this roster going...centre or no centre...macT has to look at this squad and say...i got less thn this for alent when i was coach...and then do his version of Vince/Trump.

oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:19 PM
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten

vCash: 0
Quote:
This opinion was shared by many last offseason yet this team finished last and Eakins survived anyway. What makes this year different? As I see it he's only lowered expectations by supposedly exposing many flaws in his players and in the process given himself a longer leash.
It is speculated that Eakins' late season push saved his job or else we would have gotten a new coach at the end of the season or sooner. In interviews, Eakins even said his job was in danger. Eakins ultimately won a few games but finished mediocre, but there was at least enough there for some hope. Unlike Krueger, Eakins has the benefit of status quo. Everyone with the team wants some consistency with coaching. That is likely the major factor in why Eakins is still here.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:24 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post

What then?
A lot of HFOil regulars will find something else to complain incessantly about.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I can think of alot of intances in history where the GM was vocal about not judging a coach until the GM felt he had given them a proper team.

I said it last year that i believed MacT, as shown by his candid statements on being involved in trade discussion for players throughout the year, was not willing to judge Eakins yet because of the state of the roster.
This season our wing depth is the best i remember it being after the exodus of 06....which was the best it had been since the glory years of messier gretz and mactavish down the middle.
Our centre depth really isnt worse than it was last year..and i am actually confident that there is a solution coming. Our defense is the best it has been since 06 which includes the fact we will have a "kindof" rookie in Marincin, and a defensively brain dead Justin Schultz. Our goaltending isnt even comparable to the three year circus show that was a laugh reel of highlights for sports networks. Dubnyks gaffes were more famous than Jays call of BOBROVSKIIIIIIII!!!! Goaltending so bad two other nhl teams thought...hmmm he did play in the nhl mybe he isnt that bad...then were proved he is actually that bad and they dumped him to minors where he will stay the rest of his days. Not even backup.

If Eakins cant get this roster going...centre or no centre...macT has to look at this squad and say...i got less thn this for alent when i was coach...and then do his version of Vince/Trump.
The whole reason given for hiring Eakins was this org was tired of excuses, its time to compete, and that time is now. That this isn't a young team of excuses anymore that they have to compete.

Your narrative in retrospect a year later while interesting, couldn't be more opposite to what the team was actually stating. The org believed it had the personnel on the ice last season and the energetic young coach to get them to compete.

That didn't turn out very well.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Because there couldn't possibly be a legitimate reason for the fanbase of the worst NHL team over several seasons to be complaining about anything.

Your statement had validity in the 80's. it doesn't now.

Old
08-11-2014, 11:38 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Because there couldn't possibly be a legitimate reason for the fanbase of the worst NHL team over several seasons to be complaining about anything.

Your statement had validity in the 80's. it doesn't now.
Based on your body of work here, I wouldn't be surprised if you complained about the weather during a Stanley Cup parade.

Old
08-11-2014, 11:40 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
The real question is "Is Eakins doing poorly enough to merit a promotion like MacT and KLo got when they sucked the life out of the team?"
Before this happens they'll need to hire a think tank to come up with an executive position they don't already have.

Old
08-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Based on your body of work here, I wouldn't be surprised if you complained about the weather during a Stanley Cup parade.
No, just the Don Johnson shiny white suites and Miami Vice vibe shtick of the parade...

80's were like that though. Selective tastes that wouldn't go away.

jk aside No I wasn't given to huge complaints while watching the best team on Earth play. One realized, even at the time, that such gifts were once in a lifetime if that.

I was never the rail against Paul Coffey or Grant Fuhr crowd albeit that existed.

Old
08-11-2014, 11:48 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post

What then?
If the Oilers make the play-offs this season, you can have control of my avatar for the duration of those play-offs and off-season until the start of the 2015-2016 season.

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:53 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
If the Oilers make the play-offs this season, you can have control of my avatar for the duration of those play-offs and off-season until the start of the 2015-2016 season.

- Bold Text "I'm a Leafs Fan"

Old
08-12-2014, 12:02 AM
oilersfan11

BS

The Oilers could finish last and end up picking McDavid and Eakins wouldn't be fired.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 12:03 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The whole reason given for hiring Eakins was this org was tired of excuses, its time to compete, and that time is now. That this isn't a young team of excuses anymore that they have to compete.

Your narrative in retrospect a year later while interesting, couldn't be more opposite to what the team was actually stating. The org believed it had the personnel on the ice last season and the energetic young coach to get them to compete.

That didn't turn out very well.
MacTavish in his first solo presser as GM/interview pretty much said his entire bottom six had to be remade, that the defense needed more versatility and teeth, that the goaltending wasnt a strength, and that the top six needed a different dimension.
Sooo...he pretty much did say the team was in need of a complete overhaul...he didnt come in and say that the roster inherited was an nhl team.
His actions following that interview pretty much summed all of his words up. He was involved in every goaltender transaction and furious when he heard the Schneider announcement at the draft when he had been asked to cough up ALOT more than NJ. We know from the other GMs that he called Homer four times a day to try to get a deal done, that Lombardi and MacT worked tirelessly together to no avil on a trade, that Dallas and Edmonton worked hard on the Horc deal with MacT refusing to retain cap, that MacT was also talking to Steve Y in Tampa on a regular basis and that Glen Sather and MacT had alot of meetings. All that was just the summer...he then was the most active GM BY FAR during the regular season. He traded a guy he felt had some untapped dimensions and skill, and had been forgiving of the previous managements brain dead mistakes...in PVR for a new dimension top sixer.
Ill stop there because we all know this roster has been completely remade again.
This is a very good looking team on paper in my opinion. It has holes and needs some tweaks but this is honestly the best Oilers roster since 05-06.

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-12-2014 at 12:13 AM.
oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post

BS

The Oilers could finish last and end up picking McDavid and Eakins wouldn't be fired.
I think you're right, but it's fun to ask yourself the question, "If you were GM, when would you fire Eakins?"

I think for me it would be an end of season assessment. Give Eakins two full seasons. Then make a decision in the offseason.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 05:32 PM
blackwater

vCash: 135
Quote:
So what are you telling me then, that you expect Mactavish to fire Eakins if the team gets off to a poor start this year? This is what this thread is about and I don't think it's going to happen for the reasons I stated. What's your input on the topic, assuming you have some?
I absolutely do think mact will let Eakins go by mid season if the Oilers are sitting last in the west, there is absolutely no chance Eakins will be here for his entire contract if the Oilers are showing no improvement.

blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
I don't understand why everyone thinks this is a sentiment.

The Oilers have been ABYSMALLY RUN for a LONG TIME, and are VERY DESERVING for ALL of the criticism they receive... AND NOTHING IS BEING DONE! If there is any fanbase in the NHL that is allowed to incessantly complain it's the OILERS. 29 other teams would agree with this. THATS HOW BAD WE ARE! WE RECEIVE PITY from 29 other teams! INCLUDING CALGARY!

Do you realise that we are historically the WORST team in the entire expansion era of this sport?

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Cizin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Do you realise that we are historically the WORST team in the entire expansion era of this sport?
I did not know this, what else am I missing?

Cizin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
One can only learn from their mistakes.

I was one that thought last year with good coaching we would be in the playoff mix. Just in or just out.

In hindsight that was a bit nave but I still think Coaching was the primary reason we did over the top terrible last year. It's the only explanation for a complete and utter collapse/regression of practically every Oiler on the roster.

Other factors I should have realized would keep us out of the playoff mix.

- Dub always let in soft goals/the game wining goals but I ignored it like many because his save percentage was respectable. Figured he would eventually get better.

- Gagner has no business being an NHL centerman. Figured he would eventually get better.

- Injuries destroyed our ridiculously thin center position right out of the gate.

- Lander, Joensuu, Gazdic, Jones + all were not playing consistently at an NHL level. Too much optimism for that group.

- Schultz, Grebs, Larson, Fraser, Belov + all were not playing consistently at an NHL level. Too much optimism for that group.

Is it safe to say: Purcell, Nikita, Pouliot, Fayne, Scrivens, and Fasthe + only a couple of those scrubs is a much better team and capable of making the playoffs?

Yes I believe so. The team is no longer relying on woulda, coulda, hopefully's to battle the western conference. We have an NHL roster from top to bottom. Not a great one, but one that is on par with many teams... in the east anyways :-)

I've looked for more outside opinions than usual and am trying to look at our prospects with a more critical eye.

For example: Klefbom is a solid prospect but assuming he could actually earn and succeed in a top 4 NHL role is border line insane. Arco had a great stint but may well be ill suited to be a #2 center . Lander is not an NHL player to date. There should be zero expectations for Leon going into this season. Marincin had a superb season for us... but a softmore slump is very possible.

Mac T has shored up and is supporting those who need it with tried and true NHL talent. Not perfect but good enough that a good coach should be able to be able to compete every single night.

Old
08-12-2014, 07:18 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
One can only learn from their mistakes.

I was one that thought last year with good coaching we would be in the playoff mix. Just in or just out.

In hindsight that was a bit nave but I still think Coaching was the primary reason we did over the top terrible last year. It's the only explanation for a complete and utter collapse/regression of practically every Oiler on the roster.

Other factors I should have realized would keep us out of the playoff mix.

- Dub always let in soft goals/the game wining goals but I ignored it like many because his save percentage was respectable. Figured he would eventually get better.

- Gagner has no business being an NHL centerman. Figured he would eventually get better.

- Injuries destroyed our ridiculously thin center position right out of the gate.

- Lander, Joensuu, Gazdic, Jones + all were not playing consistently at an NHL level. Too much optimism for that group.

- Schultz, Grebs, Larson, Fraser, Belov + all were not playing consistently at an NHL level. Too much optimism for that group.

Is it safe to say: Purcell, Nikita, Pouliot, Fayne, Scrivens, and Fasthe + only a couple of those scrubs is a much better team and capable of making the playoffs?

Yes I believe so. The team is no longer relying on woulda, coulda, hopefully's to battle the western conference. We have an NHL roster from top to bottom. Not a great one, but one that is on par with many teams... in the east anyways :-)

I've looked for more outside opinions than usual and am trying to look at our prospects with a more critical eye.

For example: Klefbom is a solid prospect but assuming he could actually earn and succeed in a top 4 NHL role is border line insane. Arco had a great stint but may well be ill suited to be a #2 center . Lander is not an NHL player to date. There should be zero expectations for Leon going into this season. Marincin had a superb season for us... but a softmore slump is very possible.

Mac T has shored up and is supporting those who need it with tried and true NHL talent. Not perfect but good enough that a good coach should be able to be able to compete every single night.

Completely agree.
The centre position not withstanding this roster is definitely good enough to compete on a nightly basis.

Now Dallas and company needs to get results.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
I think you're right, but it's fun to ask yourself the question, "If you were GM, when would you fire Eakins?"

I think for me it would be an end of season assessment. Give Eakins two full seasons. Then make a decision in the offseason.
10 games with how "relatively" easy our schedule is to start the season. Nothing short of a good start would keep him on the team if I were the GM. 20 games will be too late to "save" this season. Mid point would be a train wreck if Eakins hasn't effectively changed pretty much every single thing he did last year. A full year without significant improvement would pretty much ensure Eberle, Hall, and RNH are never signing with this team again when given the choice.

As a GM I would have faith in the players I've signed and that should be developing. This year more than any other year, this team over any other year SHOULD be very much improved. Its all on the coach this year.