HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers sign Draisaitl to ELC

Old
08-13-2014, 01:25 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by debonair View Post
just saw on twitter from guy flaming that drai will go to europe this year to play if he doesn't make the oilers.
khl?

I would hope SEL

Germany would be a step backwards

Last edited by AlowlyOilersfan: 08-13-2014 at 01:33 PM.
AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 01:30 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 500
Yakupov and Draisaitl to KHL. (E5)

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Yakupov and Draisaitl to KHL. (E5)

Damned Enigmatic Germans, probably learned it from the Russians.

Honestly, I don't mind this, if Draisaitl feels he'll get more playing against men in pro hockey (hopefully in Sweden or Russia) then I can see that helping his development. Tough for PA.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 02:44 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Honestly how much more can Draisaitl actually learn in PA? I mean yes he can work on his skating and defensive game... but he can do that anywhere... and that's a process that doesn't complete itself over the course of 1 season anyway. To get used to NHL speed/physicality and to learn the NHL level of hockey vs men... he needs to be playing vs men.

Ideally you would want him playing in the AHL... but since that's not an option... the KHL or SEL would be the other obvious options as stated above. I really don't like the KHL option for him because it's on bigger international ice whereas he needs to play on smaller NA style rinks and learn the tempo/style of North American hockey. SEL is similar to KHL (bigger ice) but possibly slightly better as he may get more icetime in the SEL vs the KHL where rookies often get limited icetime.

I think weighing everything up... the NHL is the best option... Draisaitl can still work on his skating (his biggest perceived liability)... wherever he plays.

Going back to junior is not a solid option imo because the level of competition results in him possibly stagnating and not being pushed by the level of play from his opponents. He's played in international tournaments and is ready for the next step up... NHL is the most obvious place for him... unless of course he is awful in camp and looks terrible... then the option of SEL/KHL looks like the best alternative.

When all is said and done I think he's already pencilled into the Oilers lineup with the understanding that he works his ass off on his skating and lower body strength... he's obviously more than willing to do whatever it takes to make the NHL and the Oilers are willing to take the risk of adding him to the lineup and "gambling" with their C depth down the middle this season... won't be the 1st time they've gambled on a major area of the roster... won't be the last.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 02:49 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honestly how much more can Draisaitl actually learn in PA? I mean yes he can work on his skating and defensive game... but he can do that anywhere... and that's a process that doesn't complete itself over the course of 1 season anyway. To get used to NHL speed/physicality and to learn the NHL level of hockey vs men... he needs to be playing vs men.

Ideally you would want him playing in the AHL... but since that's not an option... the KHL or SEL would be the other obvious options as stated above. I really don't like the KHL option for him because it's on bigger international ice whereas he needs to play on smaller NA style rinks and learn the tempo/style of North American hockey. SEL is similar to KHL (bigger ice) but possibly slightly better as he may get more icetime in the SEL vs the KHL where rookies often get limited icetime.

I think weighing everything up... the NHL is the best option... Draisaitl can still work on his skating (his biggest perceived liability)... wherever he plays.

Going back to junior is not a solid option imo because the level of competition results in him possibly stagnating and not being pushed by the level of play from his opponents. He's played in international tournaments and is ready for the next step up... NHL is the most obvious place for him... unless of course he is awful in camp and looks terrible... then the option of SEL/KHL looks like the best alternative.

When all is said and done I think he's already pencilled into the Oilers lineup with the understanding that he works his ass off on his skating and lower body strength... he's obviously more than willing to do whatever it takes to make the NHL and the Oilers are willing to take the risk of adding him to the lineup and "gambling" with their C depth down the middle this season... won't be the 1st time they've gambled on a major area of the roster... won't be the last.
I wish they adjusted the rule so that guys that are Draisaitl's age can just go to the AHL instead of going back to juniors, where it'll be less competitive and easier for them. Draisaitl learning from Nelson would be so much better than PA or the Euro leagues. Same for Nurse.

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
Just saw on twitter from Guy Flaming that Drai will go to Europe this year to play if he doesn't make the Oilers.
Wow, way to **** over your junior team. Classy.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 03:03 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
I wish they adjusted the rule so that guys that are Draisaitl's age can just go to the AHL instead of going back to juniors, where it'll be less competitive and easier for them. Draisaitl learning from Nelson would be so much better than PA or the Euro leagues. Same for Nurse.
The competition in the AHL would be better in some cases, but there's still decent coaching overseas.

Adler Mannheim(the parent club of the system Draisaitl came up in) has Geoff Ward as the Head Coach. Former Oilers farm team coach and longtime Bruins assistant coach.

Not sure if they would own his rights or how that works.

Another interesting option would be the Czech league. Draisaitl's father coaches HK Hradec Kralove over there.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 03:09 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
The competition in the AHL would be better in some cases, but there's still decent coaching overseas.

Adler Mannheim(the parent club of the system Draisaitl came up in) has Geoff Ward as the Head Coach. Former Oilers farm team coach and longtime Bruins assistant coach.

Not sure if they would own his rights or how that works.

Another interesting option would be the Czech league. Draisaitl's father coaches HK Hradec Kralove over there.
Meh, I still prefer the AHL. Draisaitl will make the oilers anyways with our C depth, I don't see him being excluded.

Old
08-13-2014, 03:16 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Continuum View Post
Why would he feel any obligation to stay with his junior team? He spent two years there and improved as a hockey player while helping the team perform, dragging them to the playoffs last year. He's now good enough to play pro hockey at a high level, why stay and play juniors? Out of gratitude? With that reasoning he should have stayed with his old german club out of gratitude instead of leaving for PA to develop further.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Why would he feel any obligation to stay with his junior team? He spent two years there and improved as a hockey player while helping the team perform, dragging them to the playoffs last year. He's now good enough to play pro hockey at a high level, why stay and play juniors? Out of gratitude? With that reasoning he should have stayed with his old german club out of gratitude instead of leaving for PA to develop further.
It's like how I **** over my company when I quit my job to go to another one that pays twice as much. heh, lol

Nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 03:25 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I can see why the CHL and NHL have that rule... to not strip the junior leagues of all their talent and have them pushed into the AHL.

I'd propose a compromise though... say only the most elite players... 1st round picks in the NHL draft would be exempt and could head to the AHL early.

This year for example there were 20 players from the CHL junior leagues drafted in the 1st round.

So that's a maximum of 20 players from the WHL/OHL/QMJHL that would be allowed to be "fasttracked" into the AHL.

Keep in mind that NHL teams likely wouldn't send every 1st rounder immediately to the the AHL anyway... some players simply could use another year or two in junior regardless... so it's not as if it would be automatic to send all 1st rounders to the AHL.

Maybe this could be tweaked further... CHL players chosen in the top 15 picks etc.

I thinks what's obvious though is that for the most elite players... like Ekblad/Draisaitl and others like Drouin etc from other draft years... the option of having these elite players who are likely "too good" for junior be able to head to the AHL is something that's needed.

It's the right thing to do for these players as they need that higher level of competition to get better and grow as hockey players.

Old
08-13-2014, 03:31 PM
oilz89

Quote:

This

oilz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 03:33 PM
oilz89

Quote:
I hope your being sarcastic... Oh no he's leaving his junior team he's enigmatic lets trade him. What on earth is he going to learn from playing in PA when he's destroyed that league? He should stay there and keep his junior team happy and cosy and not try to take the next step when he knows he's ready? His defensive work and skating can be improved on in the NHL or oversees playing against men not kids. He can adjust to the tempo playing against men... Pro players not junior players

Old
08-13-2014, 03:35 PM
oilz89

Quote:
I can see why the CHL and NHL have that rule... to not strip the junior leagues of all their talent and have them pushed into the AHL.

I'd propose a compromise though... say only the most elite players... 1st round picks in the NHL draft would be exempt and could head to the AHL early.

This year for example there were 20 players from the CHL junior leagues drafted in the 1st round.

So that's a maximum of 20 players from the WHL/OHL/QMJHL that would be allowed to be "fasttracked" into the AHL.

Keep in mind that NHL teams likely wouldn't send every 1st rounder immediately to the the AHL anyway... some players simply could use another year or two in junior regardless... so it's not as if it would be automatic to send all 1st rounders to the AHL.

Maybe this could be tweaked further... CHL players chosen in the top 15 picks etc.

I thinks what's obvious though is that for the most elite players... like Ekblad/Draisaitl and others like Drouin etc from other draft years... the option of having these elite players who are likely "too good" for junior be able to head to the AHL is something that's needed.

It's the right thing to do for these players as they need that higher level of competition to get better and grow as hockey players.
Agreed.

Old
08-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

I don't think there's such a thing as being "too good" for juniors. Which kid was ruined because he was sent back to juniors for an extra year?

I just see an excuse by Oiler fans to propose a new rule so that an Oiler prospect would be an exception.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 04:14 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I don't think there's such a thing as being "too good" for juniors. Which kid was ruined because he was sent back to juniors for an extra year?

I just see an excuse by Oiler fans to propose a new rule so that an Oiler prospect would be an exception.
Nobody is talking about a kid being ruined. They just prefer a different development? I remember seeing a post on the mainboards discussing it, and it wasn't only oiler fans that want that thing to happen. To say "By oiler fans so that an oiler prospect would be an exception" makes no sense. You're telling me other fans of other teams wouldn't want the same thing for their prospects?

Old
08-13-2014, 04:28 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

Well I can see both sides to the debate... but obviously I'm not just saying this because of Draisaitl... I even mentioned players like Ekblad/Drouin... and I could throw out many others from other teams as well.

I'm not saying a player would be "ruined" going back to junior... just that it would be rather pointless for their development to go back and play vs 17/18 year olds that are not as good as professional men... obviously.

I think if you want to get better, you play with and against better players... that's the same in any sport or endeavour and certainly not just limited to Edmonton Oilers hockey prospects.

Old
08-13-2014, 05:12 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Well I can see both sides to the debate... but obviously I'm not just saying this because of Draisaitl... I even mentioned players like Ekblad/Drouin... and I could throw out many others from other teams as well.

I'm not saying a player would be "ruined" going back to junior... just that it would be rather pointless for their development to go back and play vs 17/18 year olds that are not as good as professional men... obviously.

I think if you want to get better, you play with and against better players... that's the same in any sport or endeavour and certainly not just limited to Edmonton Oilers hockey prospects.
Going back to juniors works well for smaller players who aren't really a great nhl size yet as they can still learn a lot and don't just do well by simply over powering everyone.

Guys Draisaitl size can easily push around all the kids, that and he already had over 100 points I'm his league and is easily one of the top players in it, his development would benefit having a bit of a challenge.

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 05:21 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

if i playing in price albert i would take any other option as well, place is a stone cold dump

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 05:25 PM
doulos

Quote:
Oh no the CHL is going to lose one the kids they treat like slaves. Too bad for them.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 07:17 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Wtf are you talking about? What if the oilers keep him? Is he messing his junior team over to?

Did he screw over his German team to come to PA? No, cause it was the beat for development. PA got two good seasons from him which included 106 points with horrible linemates. They were already blessed enough. They can go kick rocks if they feel slighted. He could have never came at all and they would have been even worse the last 2 years

He owes nothing, Nada, zero to his junior team.

Last edited by topchowda: 08-13-2014 at 07:34 PM.
topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 07:21 PM
topchowda

Get the kid to a league against men. The SHL is comparable to the AHL. Let him play there. This is actually a smart move and I have posted before this is a food option for really good junior players not NHL ready. The AHL rule is stupid.

Get him and Nurse on the same team.

If I was Katz or a rich owner I would buy some SHL team and put my prospects on that team

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Draisaitl gets the $92.5k signing bonus no matter where he plays.

For the $925k NHL salary, he'll get paid the daily value of it($925k divided by the number of days in a season...probably something like 190) for every day he's in the NHL. That gets paid out every two weeks.

If he goes back to the WHL, the money stops.

As for the sliding that some have brought up, it just means that if he plays less than 10 NHL games, his entry level contract basically gets extended a year. Right now his ELC goes from 2014/15 to 2016/17. If he plays less than 10 NHL games in 2014-15 and gets sent back to the WHL, his ELC would then be 2015/16 to 2017/18.
To be honest, I wasn't really confused. But thanks for the synopsys.

So let's see...190/day * 5 days/week * 2 = 1900 every 2 weeks minus taxes etc.

Not a bad starting wage for an 18 year old.

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

If he'd rather play in Europe than the WHL then so be it. I suppose it could be a way to try and strong arm PA to deal him to the OK's in the event that he doesn't make the big squad.

08-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If he'd rather play in Europe than the WHL then so be it. I suppose it could be a way to try and strong arm PA to deal him to the OK's in the event that he doesn't make the big squad.
Hmmmm.send him back to Juniors and his Junior team and the Oil Kings make a blockbuster deal to get him here.

Oil Kings can probably use a big C.

THAT would be awesome!

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote