HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your opinion of the Oilers off season so far?

Old
08-12-2014, 10:14 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Your opinion of the Oilers off season so far?

Well we are here sitting in the middle of August, about 20 days away from when the rookies report (I could be off like always)

So lets take a minute to either start a love in with Mact or continue the lynch mob approach we do sometimes

here is my review (feel free to add your own after bashing mine)

Start with the last off season move when the oilers added a certain stats guy. While I agree fancy stats are starting to gain a foot hold in the NHL and teams are all looking for the hockey version of billy bean--unlike baseball, hockey is more a team sport and there are far more intangibles that go on a 60 minute game that stats just do not get. My question is why hire the go so late in the off season after giving out so many bad contract?

lets move on to the players and here is where you all will remember why you all wish I just stayed in my hole

1) Everyone happy Gagner is gone and it looks like we will be rushing Leon into the second center spot. Oilers should send him back to juniors for the full season. I know some of us think he is ready. We rushed Gagner, We rushed hopkins, we rushed Yakupov and we are paying for it. Like Nurse--just send him back to juniors for atleast one more year if not two
2) the Benoit Pouliot contract made me gag. HE is a third/fourth liner--you do not give them 5 year deals. He bounced around a lot for a reason and while he adds size to the bottom 6, he does not have the skills to move into the top 6 except when everyone else in injured or burnt out. Pouliot is maybe a ten minute guy and that is it. right now the third line of the oilers is Purcell (4.5mill) Gordon (3mill) and Pouliot (4mill)--11.5mill on the third line-yikes--and when you add that either Fayne and or Nikiten will more then likely be on the third line as well--oilers could have a third line making 20mill a year--I realize that the oilers are not a cap team--but take a look at the other teams third lines (the good ones and see how many have 20 mill spent there)
3a and 3b-- Fayne and Nikiten--that god Nikiten just signed for two year--he buys Nurse another year either Junior or on the farm and Fayne buys Klefbom another year to develop--fayns contract it 2 years too long and while right now most fans are loving these two signings--I have grave concerns. Nikiten on a bad BJS team was more often then not their 5/6 d-man or a healthy scratch and we traded for him. And Fayne was up and down on the Devils depth chart but more often then not he was also a part of the third line pairing playing around 15 minutes a game
4) Petry will walk on july 1st next year and when we try to trade him at the deadline--we might get a 5th rounder. Unlike Fayne and Nikiten--Petry can play 20 minutes a game every game. For those who love fancy stats--take a look at what happened to both Fayne and Nikiten when they were pushed to play 20 minutes a game for multiple games?
5) Keith Aulie--another one of Dallas' TO cast offs--atleast he was signed for a year and under a million
6) Purcell could be a wild card--another big body who often does not use his size to his advantage--could quickly become the whipping boy for the oilers. My greater concern is that he could take minutes away from Yakupov and if Yakupov is on the third line again this year? The oilers will ruin him
7) Schultz not being signed has me greatly concerned and worried. With the contract the oilers gave Fayne, Nikiten and Pouliot who are nowhere near as good as Schultz--he has every right to try to hit gold
8) Young team and a young coach is a dead combination. I will be shocked if Dallas Eakins is still the coach come Feb and would not be shocked to see Craig Ramsey named to replace him

The one thing that scares me the most about the oilers right now, is that fact they should be in a win now mode. why? Go to capgeek.com--take a look at the oilers and advance 5 years... Eberle will be a UFA and hall one year short. By giving them big contract young and not giving them bridge contracts like the habs did with Subban-- the oiler young guns will be hitting the UFA market when they will be about to hit their prime

I have tried previously to optimistic towards the oilers and their plans-but I think in 20 years we will look back at the oilers and their rebuild and how not to rebuild the team

and here is my prediction for a topic we will beat to death his season-- Sam Gagner and his rebirth in Phoenix--he is a good player who the oilers mishandled

okay--post your reviews and flame away at my review--I know you've missed me

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 10:22 PM
AJGass4

vCash: 500
Your take is very depressing, lol.

I like what MacT did and we are a far better team (on paper) now than the team we iced for the final game last season.

I am going to hold my opinion as to what I think of this team until we have played ten or fifteen games.

As for Gagner, how did they mishandle him? He was given every chance in the world to succeed here and he just didn't have the whole package. I think he was brought in to the league a little fast but I don't really understand how playing in Junior is going to make you better. If given proper minutes upon entering the league, I feel they learn as they go.

Sammy had a hard time defensively and although I never questioned his heart or his love for being an Oiler, I honestly don't think we are going to see him light the lamp in Arizona anymore than we did here.

AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Zap Brannigan

yeah i would rather pay more out of ELC at a lower rate than do what the habs did

they could have had subban for 6 years at 5.5 and could have avoided that mess

Zap Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Bergeron47

I'm sorry that I'm not as optimistic about this offseason than most.
We are entering the season with no #2C and no top-pairing d-man. This will cause players being played out of position, again. I think it's great we finally have 3rd line wingers, and 6 NHL-calibre defense, but so does everyone else. The major holes that have been left has proven to be a complete failure by management over the past 2 summers.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Asuno

Its been relatively solid, but that 2C still needs to be addressed.

Asuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

I liked it much better when you stayed in your hole.

j/k Jumptheshark....good to see you back.

You've hit it on the button for many of the things you listed. But there are also a whole lotta positives that could come this year as well.

I personally believe that the positives out weigh the negatives by a fair margin.

I could probably take you up on your 3rd line take on the money issue. But I'm pretty sure if I did a little research, I would find a number of top teams that pay the equivalent, if not a hell of a lot more.

But I'm too lazy to research that and I will trust that MacT is paying them the current rate for those types of free agents.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 10:54 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I liked it much better when you stayed in your hole.

j/k Jumptheshark....good to see you back.

You've hit it on the button for many of the things you listed. But there are also a whole lotta positives that could come this year as well.

I personally believe that the positives out weigh the negatives by a fair margin.

I could probably take you up on your 3rd line take on the money issue. But I'm pretty sure if I did a little research, I would find a number of top teams that pay the equivalent, if not a hell of a lot more.

But I'm too lazy to research that and I will trust that MacT is paying them the current rate for those types of free agents.
the LAK third line is at about 6 mill for the three guys who in theory will be on that line our third line 11mill

Old
08-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

This offseason? Poor effort

The forwards are bigger, but not necessarily improved despite the gross overpay in the pursuit of improving the size of the team. The Pouliot contract marks a standout moment of poor spending as he is a Clarkson type mess in the making, showing Mact apparently learned nothing from the 2013 UFA frenzy to apply in 2014. As you already noted, they are again making the mistake of throwing rookies into the deep end by running with gaping holes in critical team roles, which will cause problems both this season and the coming seasons. Potential facepalm moment - Arcobello gets buried by Eakins for the season again; Oilers try to run with RNH, Drasalti, Gordon, Lander for the year.

The defense is a little better, but the best you can really say about the bottom pairing defensemen they brought in, they are no where near as bad as the trash they brought in last year. Not hope past this year either, as the guys they are bringing in have no long term potential, and as noted they'll will lose Petry in just a few months which will set back the organization even more. Developing prospects will have no room for regression or less than speedy development, or the entire defensive core will collapse the rebuild before it even has a chance to gain any traction. Potential facepalm moment - Nurse makes the team.

Goaltending may hold up, or they may turn out to be the inconsistent backup goaltenders they were outside of Edmonton. Nothing to really evaluate offseason wise.

Coaching may be improved, but it's unlikely as long as Eakins is still running things. It would be nice to believe that Ramsey will take over at some point, but it's not probable considering the egos that are involved with making a go of Eakins as the head guy. Daily facepalm moment - every Eakins media availability.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 10:56 PM
rboomercat90

I think you hit the nail on the head with all your concerns. To me it just doesn't make any sense spending all that money without addressing your teams biggest needs. Makes it that much tougher down the road. If Mactavish can make a deal for a #2 center then I'll soften up on him on my criticism of his work so far but I'm not optimistic that's happening anytime soon.

As for all the money spent on the third line, the Oilers spent a high percentage of their cap on the bottom half of their roster after the cup run and we all saw how that turned out too.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Asuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
the LAK third line is at about 6 mill for the three guys who in theory will be on that line our third line 11mill
That team doesn't have the "luxury" the oilers have in terms of free agents and in terms of money. The oilers aren't in a spot where they can freely give a guy like Richards 2M like the blackhawks. The oilers will continue to overpay in free agency, until they're out of the bottom.

Asuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 12:01 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

lets take out the money discussion part of my post

if the season started today (the oilers line up is somewhat set)

Line 1
Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Line 2
Perron--Leon(I hope they send him back)**-Yakupov
Line 3
Pouliot--Gordon--Purcell
Line 4 (mash up)
Hendrick-Gazdic--Joensu- (lander**2) or archobello

If the oilers do grow a set and send Leon back to juniors either Archobello or Lander step into the 2c spot--Gordon does not have the chops for it
Second problem is that if the Oilers send Lander down he has to clear waivers and HE WILL BE PICKED UP

then we have the D
Petry-Schultz-Marincin-Ference-Fayne-Nikitin-Aulie

in net The Proffessor and Fasth could be interesting

If I had my way

Leon and Nurse are both back in juniors
Klefbom gets a full HEALTHY year on the farm as does Yakimov (he is not a top 6 guy but could be an interesting choice for the third line in the future)

There are two wild cards

Pitlick and Andrew Miller. Pitlick bring alot of what Pouiliot brings--but IMO better speed, is younger and brings more tools. But signing Pouliot I think means the end to Pitlick. I am told Miller is a little like Todd Marchant

BUt the starting line up has me concerned--while on paper some say it looks good--but it is on the ice where things count and I think in many cases we are hoping a lot from the wrong people

Old
08-13-2014, 12:07 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
We are entering the season with no #2C and no top-pairing d-man. This will cause players being played out of position, again. I think it's great we finally have 3rd line wingers, and 6 NHL-calibre defense, but so does everyone else. The major holes that have been left has proven to be a complete failure by management over the past 2 summers.
Yeah, pretty much this unfortunately. I would also add that the goaltending is still a question mark despite most here thinking that the position is set. Neither Scrivens or Fasth has played a full season as a #1 so it's possible that both flame out. I do think that's a pretty remote possibility because I like both of them but the fact remains is that both are still unknowns.

The one addition that I think could be the biggest one of the offseason and isn't being talked about enough is the addition of Ramsay to the coaching staff.
It was bad enough that Eakins was a rookie coach who was in completely over his head but what made it worse was that he had no bench support whatsoever. No veteran voice to show him the ropes and set some sort of structure.
Ramsay is a very well respected coach who I'm assuming will be instrumental in implementing systems so that gives me more confidence that the team won't be a total gongshow.

Ultimately, the team will go as far as the kids (young adults now?) take them. Until they get the junioritis out of their system (and yes, that includes Hall) and learn how to play within a structured system and play a mans game, the team will never EVER go anywhere. Basically the Canadian quartet of the top line and Schultz. If they take a big leap forward and one of the goalies steps up, not having a #2C won't really matter that much at least in the interim.

As far as MacT's offseason is concerned, some good some bad. The Fayne addition and Ramsay are excellent moves. The others I have big reservations about. Purcell was a glorified cap dump, Nikitin has been regressing for a few seasons now and Pouliot has always been inconsistent and could very well slack off again now that he got his financial security. 5 years for Pouliot? Wut? The caphit is bad enough but the term is beyond comprehension. I just don't get it.

The fact that MacT expects an AHLer and a rookie with skating and defensive issues to be the only competition for the #2 and #3C spots is mind boggling to me. He made the worst center depth in the league even worse somehow, didn't think that was possible.
Similar to Tambo's offseasons, I liked some of the moves and am perplexed by some of the other ones so I expect the results to remain similar.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 12:29 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
I dont know why anyone thinks RNH wasnt ready. He dominated and wasnt showing any weaknesses.

Everyone points to Gagner as the guy that was rushed. That is BS...the guy simply was not as great as you think. Kane was great. Gagner is exactly who he was in junior...winger who lines up at centre and doesnt win many battles.
MacTavish insulated him from day one because his lackings were quite obvious. I very much doubt Gagner would have learned more playing against kids than he learned in the nhl.
If leon is ready, rather than going back to a sad sack raiders team, than i say keep him up and set the goal for his first year ice time. A plan to have some healthy scratches during the year to refocus and watch the game from a different perspective. I like the ideas of rookies being held to sixty or sixty five games.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 12:30 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yeah, pretty much this unfortunately. I would also add that the goaltending is still a question mark despite most here thinking that the position is set. Neither Scrivens or Fasth has played a full season as a #1 so it's possible that both flame out. I do think that's a pretty remote possibility because I like both of them but the fact remains is that both are still unknowns.

The one addition that I think could be the biggest one of the offseason and isn't being talked about enough is the addition of Ramsay to the coaching staff.
It was bad enough that Eakins was a rookie coach who was in completely over his head but what made it worse was that he had no bench support whatsoever. No veteran voice to show him the ropes and set some sort of structure.
Ramsay is a very well respected coach who I'm assuming will be instrumental in implementing systems so that gives me more confidence that the team won't be a total gongshow.

Ultimately, the team will go as far as the kids (young adults now?) take them. Until they get the junioritis out of their system (and yes, that includes Hall) and learn how to play within a structured system and play a mans game, the team will never EVER go anywhere. Basically the Canadian quartet of the top line and Schultz. If they take a big leap forward and one of the goalies steps up, not having a #2C won't really matter that much at least in the interim.

As far as MacT's offseason is concerned, some good some bad. The Fayne addition and Ramsay are excellent moves. The others I have big reservations about. Purcell was a glorified cap dump, Nikitin has been regressing for a few seasons now and Pouliot has always been inconsistent and could very well slack off again now that he got his financial security. 5 years for Pouliot? Wut? The caphit is bad enough but the term is beyond comprehension. I just don't get it.

The fact that MacT expects an AHLer and a rookie with skating and defensive issues to be the only competition for the #2 and #3C spots is mind boggling to me. He made the worst center depth in the league even worse somehow, didn't think that was possible.
Similar to Tambo's offseasons, I liked some of the moves and am perplexed by some of the other ones so I expect the results to remain similar.
in my rant is the prediction Ramsey takes over

Old
08-13-2014, 12:43 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
A #2C and a top pairing D would turn us into a contender...

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 12:46 AM
Zap Brannigan

pouliots contract is nothing like clarksons

clarksons contract is essentially buyout protected because it includes like 20 million in signing bonuses

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator...06&buyout_d=15 - clarkson

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator...06&buyout_d=15 - pouliot

nevermind pouliot is 27 rather than 30

Zap Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 03:09 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
A #2C and a top pairing D would turn us into a contender...
It sure would make a compelling argument to be in the playoff mix.
I don't buy that 2Cs are difficult to obtain. This offseason has probably had the most 2C turnovers than any other. Stastny, Spezza, Kesler, Grabovski, B. Richards, Ribeiro, Gagner, Bonino, Legwand, Roy, Ott, Bolland are all centers that were either traded or reached free agency that are better than our 2nd best center. You can make all the excuses you want about why each one couldnt have gone to Edmonton, and my point isn't that they could have. My point is that they aren't as unattainable as some are suggesting.

Old
08-13-2014, 03:52 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
This sums it up.

http://instagram.com/p/rlCUUrmzEQ/

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 07:11 AM
CorpseFX

pretty mediocre overall. i feel the Pouliot deal is going to be a huge waste of money and the Oilers getting tricked again by playoff performance and some dumb analytic numbers. hopefully i am wrong.

this team needs to learn how to play with some efficiency and some guts.

we've been watching sloppy, undisciplined and low IQ hockey for a long time now. they need to turn the corner through teaching and group maturity instead of hoping "just adding this guy and this guy" will flick some magic switch where theyre finally A Hockey Team.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 08:00 AM
DeathbyCheerios

I'm a little less negative then most, the off season moves have improved the team clearly, how much is yet to be seen but this team is better then last year's.

Hall - RNH- Eberle was looking dangerous at the end of the year as it seemed like their chemistry is strengthening and it should give us a very very good top line.

With the additions of Purcell and Pouliot we have 4 wingers that can move around on the third and second line and not look out of place.

Arcobello will be our 2c until Draisaitl is ready, give him the right combo of wingers and he is a lower scoring better two way center then Gagner, not what we need but Imo an improvement.

The dcore is very much improved as well

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Bergeron47

I guess I don't really see the relevance in improving if we haven't improved enough to be better than any of the other teams in the West.

On paper, are we better than any of the playoff teams? Go no. That leaves
Nashville
Vancouver
Phoenix
Winnepeg
Calgary

Nashville, Vancouver, and Phoenix's defense and goaltending have proven that its enough to keep themselves well ahead of us.
Maybe we're better than Calgary and Winnepeg next year. Will that be good enough to anyone?

Old
08-13-2014, 08:15 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
I guess I don't really see the relevance in improving if we haven't improved enough to be better than any of the other teams in the West.

On paper, are we better than any of the playoff teams? Go no. That leaves
Nashville
Vancouver
Phoenix
Winnepeg
Calgary

Nashville, Vancouver, and Phoenix's defense and goaltending have proven that its enough to keep themselves well ahead of us.
Maybe we're better than Calgary and Winnepeg next year. Will that be good enough to anyone?
Miller is over rated and Vancouver is on the decline.

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Mr Sakich

1) you seem to have concerns over how much we spent this summer. If your name is not Katz, then it doesn't matter. There is no reason why we don't spend the money to improve our team unless you want a return of Tambellini.

2) our cap situation going forward is excellent. We will have close to 24 million to spend next summer to replace Petry and Fasth and extend Nail and Marincin.

3) Pouliot filled a huge need for us - a possesion guy with size. We paid too much for too long but the team is in a position to do it without any real ramifications.

4) Our defence needed to be upgraded and I think Mact did as good as possible. If we could have also nabbed Stralman, the summer would have been incredible.

Going forward, our biggest concern is Leon not being a top notch 2nd line center. Last year, the 45th highest scoring center was Ribero at 47 points. IMO, it is not a huge stretch to think Leon can come close to that number. With 2 strong wingers, it is not ideal but it is not a disaster.

In a perfect world, we sign all the top ufa and are an instant contender. In the real world, Mact has done a cpmplete overhaul of the team and we are in a much better position. This should have happened 3 years ago.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
The one thing that scares me the most about the oilers right now, is that fact they should be in a win now mode. why? Go to capgeek.com--take a look at the oilers and advance 5 years... Eberle will be a UFA and hall one year short. By giving them big contract young and not giving them bridge contracts like the habs did with Subban-- the oiler young guns will be hitting the UFA market when they will be about to hit their prime
This is bananas.

Getting those kids signed long term young was one of the few things Tambo every accomplished. $6M for Hall is already a bargain. In four years, it could be the best value contract in the league. If they had been given Hall a two year bridge, how much do you think he'd command by the time it expires in 2015-16? Hint: a helluva lot more than $6M.

Giving Hall, RNH and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Eberle those deals means they have three bona fide, productive top sixers locked in at a discount rate during the period of their careers when they are likely to be most productive. That alone is enough reason to be optimistic for the future.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Section337

In my opinion, they will start the year, in comparison to last year, with:
- At the beginning of the year - better goal tending, defence, wingers, centres and coaching.
- At the end of the year - equal goal tending, better defence, better wingers, less at centre and better coaching.

If they don't start the year gaining at least 8-10 points, compared to last year, in the first 22 games, then I think Eakins should be fired. This will hopefully provide some momentum. I also believe with a better caliber of support, this team should not be down 2-3 goals in the 3rd period as much as last year, which gives the Halls and RNH's a better chance to make their skill pay off in a game.

As for each FA signing. I don't expect all to turn out to be worth the money paid, but I really like that they are at least proven 12+ minute NHLrs. A big step for this team. Our management has not proven themselves to be geniuses, so I'm glad we didn't start the year with a bunch of new "gems" nobody else has discovered.

At a minimum, I expect 18-20 more points this year. It will be a failure if they don't and house cleaning should ensue.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote