HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your opinion of the Oilers off season so far?

Old
08-13-2014, 08:54 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I feel pretty good about our team going into next year:

1) our defence should be much improved. We didn't lose anyone significant, and added two top 4 guys. I think our D will be much improved.

2) We should improve just by the simple fact of having our young players continue to improve. Our core players should still be improving year after year.

3) Our depth should be improved with players like Purcell, Pouliot and a bounce back season for Yak.

4) Our goaltending should be much improved over the start of last season.

5) Unfortunately our #2 center situation hasn't been addressed, and this is the largest concern on the team.

6) Eakins is another wild card. Hopefully he will be able to make improvements. I think the addition of Ramsey will also help.

I believe we'll be a much improved team, finishing anywhere from 7th-10th in the west.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 09:22 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
I know it's fashionable to immediately assume doom and gloom because that is all we have known for a long time. But with better goaltending, a legit top line, and what looks like a legit 2nd line coming down the pipe, I think this season will, at the very least, not have the Oilers out of the playoff race before the new year.

Apart from the 2C situation, I am content with the offseason. Top pairing D don't get traded or hit UFA all that often so we were always going to have to wait for the prospects to mature. And Klefbom, Marincin and Nurse are all progressing nicely.

Scrivens and Fasth are upgrades on DD/Labarbera
Nikitin and Fayne are upgrades on Smid/N Schultz
Purcell and Pouliot are upgrades on Smyth/Jones
Yakupov and RNH should take another step forward this season. Hall could too, sky's the limit with that guy.
Eberle and Perron should be able to put up similar numbers.
Petry will be looking to prove himself to earn a big contract next summer.
Schultz will be going into his 3rd year, and is approaching his prime years.
Ramsay should help the PP back to previous years' level. And Eakins can only get better. If he doesn't improve he'll be fired fairly quickly.

Apart from the possible downgrade of Gagner to Draisaitl, which will also only be a temporary downgrade, it really isn't all that bad.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 11:16 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I know it's fashionable to immediately assume doom and gloom because that is all we have known for a long time. But with better goaltending, a legit top line, and what looks like a legit 2nd line coming down the pipe, I think this season will, at the very least, not have the Oilers out of the playoff race before the new year.

Apart from the 2C situation, I am content with the offseason. Top pairing D don't get traded or hit UFA all that often so we were always going to have to wait for the prospects to mature. And Klefbom, Marincin and Nurse are all progressing nicely.

Yakupov and RNH should take another step forward this season. Hall could too, sky's the limit with that guy.
Ramsay should help the PP back to previous years' level. And Eakins can only get better. If he doesn't improve he'll be fired fairly quickly.

Apart from the possible downgrade of Gagner to Draisaitl, which will also only be a temporary downgrade, it really isn't all that bad.
As long as Draisaitl tries defensively he will be at least not a downgrade on Gagner. Imo RNH, Arcobello, Draisaitl, Gordon is a much better center depth then RNH, Gagner, Gordon, Acton

DeathbyCheerios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 11:55 AM
FlameChampion

In my opinion I think there are a couple of things that are wrong with the Oilers from coaching/playing standpoint. I am not going to discuss management issues.

The first one is coaching. I dont think Eakins is the right guy. At least in previous years, Edmontons special teams were good, especially the powerplay. Last year they were awful, I think thats on the coaching. I think Eakins misused players and it seemed like he was over his head the whole year. Will this year be better? I hope so but who knows. Getting Ramsay will hopefully help this year. I just hope the coaching as a whole, is solid but guess we will find out.

The oilers puck possession was awful. I know people complain about their defense and bottom 6 in previous years, but their "star" players, were awful in terms of puck possession. They continuously just gave the puck away and got outshot damn near every game. Which tells me that their mix of players wasnt right or their coaching didnt adapt to their strengths. I at least like the fact that MacT knows this issue, whether he addressed it this year, remains to be seen however.

Goaltending. Was awful to start the year. MacT at least tried to fix it. Its better now but I still dont think its a guarantee. However they at least have hope now if anything. They didnt have hope at the beginning of last year. I hope they at least have a better start next year, so the goaltending can get its feet under them. With the improved defense this year, it should at least be a bit better of a start.

I think MacT did a fine job this offseason. People have to realize that Edmontons not likely able to pick up the best free agents. And even if you do pick up the best, you have to overpay them. I think Fayne was a nice addition. Pouillot contract I didn't like the term but honestly I think it doesnt matter too much. If it doesnt work out by year 3 and 4 they can just bury the contract. Its Katz's money, so who cares really. Gagner for Purcell trade I dont know, honestly I am happy to see Gagner get a fresh start, I think hes a good kid, but it was time for him to move on I think. Like many others I would of liked to see another centerman brought in. The oilers are one centerman injury away from a disaster of a season, but MacT probably just couldnt find anything that made sense.

I think one of the biggest problems in the last few years other than the revolving door on the coaches has just been that they havent been able to insulate any of their young players with good vets. I think thats the bigger issue than them rushing prospects. You see in Colorado, MacKinnon started on 3rd line and was given easy matchups to gain some confidence. Someone like RNH was immediately dropped on the first line center (and performed admirably in his rookie season) but its not good way to develop players I dont think. In the past a lot of the Oilers vets just werent very good and didnt help out the kids much. At least now Draitsatl is going to get stuck behind RNH and not have to play first line minutes like RNH had too.

FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

With the addition of the new d-men and wingers, all that stands between us and 9th place in the West is a Calder Trophy and a coaching change. Just gotta believe.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
I don't feel it has been bad at all. I was actually expecting a complete disaster before Free Agency considering the amount available but MacTavish exceeded my expectations. There has been too much focus on the contracts that were given rather than the players.. people have to understand that the market was thin and the cap increased a lot. Players were going to get paid one way or another. And the cap is just going to continue to increase every year.. market value is a little different now. We're going to have to wait to see how it all plays out but I think there is reason to feel optimistic about the additions..

We haven't had a 3rd line as good as this since what, 2008? 2006? Finally some secondary scoring.. Say what you want about Pouliot and Purcell, they are both capable 3rd liners who can jump up.. Pouliot has bounced around but he's also been pretty consistent in the 30-35 point range in each of the last 4 seasons.. (lockout year he had similar production) Good possession player, good size and has developed into more of a physical player. I think he's going to help a lot. Purcell is a bit of a wildcard.. He could be a 50 point guy, he could be a 30 point guy.. who knows but we know we're getting secondary scoring with him as well.

Mark Fayne was one of the best signings in the whole off-season. I'm not sure how anyone could bash this one.. And no, he wasn't on New Jersey's 3rd pairing. He was consistently playing with Andy Greene on the top pair for them. He's 27 years old.. he'll be 31 at the end of the contract. He's been a rock solid defenseman for a few years now and we're getting him in his prime.. two years too much? Give me a break. Fantastic signing. If Petry walks next year or we trade him for a 5th as you are saying, this signing makes it easier. I feel very comfortable about the right side of our defense right now.

Nikitin is in the same boat as Purcell.. a wildcard. He's a clear cut upgrade on Belov, Fraser and Larsen from last year and it's a 2 year deal.. I could care less about the cap hit.

If there is anything to complain about, it's that guys like Olli Jokinen, Derek Roy, Mike Ribeiro went for next to nothing and we're sitting here with Arcobello as our best option for the second line center spot.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 02:34 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't feel it has been bad at all. I was actually expecting a complete disaster before Free Agency considering the amount available but MacTavish exceeded my expectations. There has been too much focus on the contracts that were given rather than the players.. people have to understand that the market was thin and the cap increased a lot. Players were going to get paid one way or another. And the cap is just going to continue to increase every year.. market value is a little different now. We're going to have to wait to see how it all plays out but I think there is reason to feel optimistic about the additions..

We haven't had a 3rd line as good as this since what, 2008? 2006? Finally some secondary scoring.. Say what you want about Pouliot and Purcell, they are both capable 3rd liners who can jump up.. Pouliot has bounced around but he's also been pretty consistent in the 30-35 point range in each of the last 4 seasons.. (lockout year he had similar production) Good possession player, good size and has developed into more of a physical player. I think he's going to help a lot. Purcell is a bit of a wildcard.. He could be a 50 point guy, he could be a 30 point guy.. who knows but we know we're getting secondary scoring with him as well.

Mark Fayne was one of the best signings in the whole off-season. I'm not sure how anyone could bash this one.. And no, he wasn't on New Jersey's 3rd pairing. He was consistently playing with Andy Greene on the top pair for them. He's 27 years old.. he'll be 31 at the end of the contract. He's been a rock solid defenseman for a few years now and we're getting him in his prime.. two years too much? Give me a break. Fantastic signing. If Petry walks next year or we trade him for a 5th as you are saying, this signing makes it easier. I feel very comfortable about the right side of our defense right now.

Nikitin is in the same boat as Purcell.. a wildcard. He's a clear cut upgrade on Belov, Fraser and Larsen from last year and it's a 2 year deal.. I could care less about the cap hit.

If there is anything to complain about, it's that guys like Olli Jokinen, Derek Roy, Mike Ribeiro went for next to nothing and we're sitting here with Arcobello as our best option for the second line center spot.
Bang on.

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 03:25 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
one of my concerns is that people are expecting Fayne to come in an play 20+ minutes every night. On the Devils D he was 5th in average time on ice for d-men who played 40 + games.

Of the 72 games he played in last year he played 20+minutes in only about 20 games

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 04:33 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
one of my concerns is that people are expecting Fayne to come in an play 20+ minutes every night. On the Devils D he was 5th in average time on ice for d-men who played 40 + games.

Of the 72 games he played in last year he played 20+minutes in only about 20 games
New Jersey was a team that had a rounded dcore with people who were good at different things. If I remember correctly Fayne played mostly 5on5 minutes on the first pairing.

Old
08-13-2014, 04:43 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Anything that can get Schultz down from playing over 23 minutes per game is a good thing.

Schultz needs premier PP time and 3rd pairing ES time... anything else at this point is just wasting whatever advantage he delivers offensively by having him give it all back and then some with his defensive abilities (liabilities).

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 04:51 PM
ManofSteel55

Oh look, another oh woe as us, let's whine about everything thread. Good stuff.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 04:56 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
and it is a thread where people can post the positves
feel free to post yours

Old
08-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

That's a little misleading on Fayne.

Going by ES TOI per game, Fayne was fourth for defenders playing 40 games or more, behind Andy Greene (18:39), Marek Zidlicky (18:29), Jon Merrill (17:04) and then Fayne at (16:16).

The reason why he played he less than 20 minutes per game was due to the PP. Andy Greene played an extra 2:21 PP TOI per game, Zidlicky played 2:51 PP, Merill 1:28 and Fayne averaged to a whopping... 0:02 PP per game. While Shorthanded, Fayne did play an extra 1:59 per game.

Basically Fayne was a 2nd pairing dman - who never played the PP, and was on the second PK unit.

By comparison, Martin Marincin played 16:16 ES TOI per game, plus 2:20 SHTOI and 0:29 PPTOI. So basically Marincin played similar minutes (exactly same amount @ even strength) with a simlar role (top four role plus PK).

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
I'd love to be a person able to just ignore the precident of the last 10 years. I really would,, but I can't.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 06:59 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I'd love to be a person able to just ignore the precident of the last 10 years. I really would,, but I can't.
Roster wise more good has happened in the last year then has happened in the 10.

Old
08-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Miller is over rated and Vancouver is on the decline.
So you think the Miller/Lack tandem is weaker than the Lack/Markstrom tandem that beat us in the standings last year?

I'm not sure what your point is. The Canucks are still in better shape than us heading into next season.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 10:00 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
So you think the Miller/Lack tandem is weaker than the Lack/Markstrom tandem that beat us in the standings last year?

I'm not sure what your point is. The Canucks are still in better shape than us heading into next season.
Miller didn't look so great playing in the west than he did in the east in my opinion. No doubt a Miller/Lack tandem is better than Lack/Markstrom, but the oilers played relatively well against the canucks last year in general.

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 09:15 AM
blupye

Quote:

I like the changes. We now have 2 guys below 6' (Ebs and Yaks) on our forward lines. Size wins in the west.
The goaltending is much improved compared to Sucknyk. He costs us 10 games at least last year.
Our defence is greatly improved. I have talked to Devils fans and they are not happy Fayne is gone and he will help us. I don't know much about Nikitin but he was top 2 pairing in CBJ 3 years ago.
Pouliot was one of the better players for the Rangers in last years playoffs. Hopefully he brings that every game here and does not dis-appear.
Purcell was great in TB a few years back.

My only concern is Eakins. It is hard to chop wood and carry water at the same time. Will he be here in February?

blupye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 09:30 AM
coffeyland

So far an excellent offseason for the Oilers...

1. Trading to get Purcell should help us on the wing and our corsi numbers should get better.

2. Not trading Yakupov was crucial. The guy had a sophomore slump and trading him for parts would have made no sense. His play could increase significantly this year.

3. Benoit Pouliot is a good player but was rewarded well for FA. He'll contribute but in two years, he'll be traded somewhere. I don't expect anything more than maybe 15-20G from him. But he's better than the alternatives we had in the minors.

4. Fayne and Nikiten are great additions. We needed D - we still need D. But I'm confident that these NHL players will provide more than depth and protect our young goaltenders. If we can get Nurse to play D this year, we will be greatly improved!

5. I didn't like the bridge contract for Petry BUT he could be a valuable commodity if we can move him before the deadline.

6. Aulie is a nice addition but he'll spell some of the regulars from time to time. He should get comfy in the press box. I think our D will be much better.

7. Eakins needs to step up and condition these players to play better D. With some better goaltending and more stability, I can imagine our year is better than the last. I'll say a 15-17 pt improvement.

8. As for capgeek, I'm concerned too but the problem is our depth players in the minors are terrible. Lander, etc. need to step up and give us some quality min. on the 3-4 lines.

coffeyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 09:34 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:

The Lack/Markstrom tandem wasn't close to the full year, trade deadline on. We were equally as bad in the last stretch. Our team is more improved from the end of the season then theirs is and Miller isn't a god goaltender anymore, he was awful for St Louis

Old
08-14-2014, 09:37 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

They did have Loungo for most of last season. And they lost Kesler as well this summer. The Sedins are getting older and their production is starting to slide. I don't think the Nucks are in better shape than us next season. Our best players are still improving. Theirs are slowing down.

But then I too think Miller is overrated.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
They did have Loungo for most of last season. And they lost Kesler as well this summer. The Sedins are getting older and their production is starting to slide. I don't think the Nucks are in better shape than us next season. Our best players are still improving. Theirs are slowing down.

But then I too think Miller is overrated.
Their D is still better and getting rid of TortLOLrella is addition by subtraction. They'll be better for at least another season yet.

Moose Coleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Beerfish

This Vancouver talk sounds suspiciously like the 'we can't be worse than the flames!' talk of last year. As for the off season.

Goaltending should at least be stable. I think the level of tending will be what it was at the end of the season, Scrviens played a bit over his head when he started. Fasth, something about him and his style bugged me last year, his awareness but that might have to do with no playing much.

Defense should for sure be better, a big thing that this hinges on to me is if the coaches have the discipline to spread out the minutes. Too often they find one pairing that is playing a bit better than the rest and then over play them. Good reports on Fayne from other fans, I think he will help. Nikitin I don't think is any great shakes but he should still help. Lowering the ice time for guys like Petry and our Captain should help their games as well.

Adding two wingers who have some size is a good thing but both of these guys have question marks. Purcell does not come with a ringing endorsement from the team he left. The Pouliot contract is a massive gamble. Over pay a player for a few years? Fine. Over term a player? You had better be right about him. Whether it is deserved or not Pouliot will be a lightning rod very quickly if his play is not up to the contract. The Gagner trade was inevitable but flat out crap resource management. If the team had a proper plan in place he would have been dealt the year before coming off a good strike shortened year. Instead he is resigned to too much money which became a trade impediment. Also the team has wingers and is very thin at center so we trade a center for a winger. Now MacT stated Gagner was not going to play centre this year but he sure as hell would have been on the depth chart somewhere in case of injury.

One thing to watch for, if either of out 3rd line wingers struggle they will move up the depth chart very quickly at the expense of guys like Yakupov and Perron.

Centre is just pathetically weak, both in starters and in depth and it boggles me that we are going into the season essentially gifting roster spots to a decent minor league guy and an 18 year old kid. The GM has failed to at least acquire some kind of vet depth and there were options out there. The 'wait and see' attitude is flat out stupid and I can see us giving up too much in a trade half way through the year for a stop gap player (and the gm will be lauded for plugging a hole that he utterly failed to address in the off season.)

Coaching should be much improved the previous assistants that were hof quality according to the powers that be should have been dumped 3 years ago. Ramsey should help out a lot and a huge key to this team making a move will be the pp. We have the talent to do some damage in that regard. I'm not a fan of Eakins but I'm sure he learned a lot last season.

This team could be anywhere from solidly in the playoffs at the end of the year or bottom 5 in the league, neither would surprise me at all.

If the team is seriously under performing by half way through the year MacT will be back behind the bench.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 10:13 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
That's a little misleading on Fayne.

Going by ES TOI per game, Fayne was fourth for defenders playing 40 games or more, behind Andy Greene (18:39), Marek Zidlicky (18:29), Jon Merrill (17:04) and then Fayne at (16:16).

The reason why he played he less than 20 minutes per game was due to the PP. Andy Greene played an extra 2:21 PP TOI per game, Zidlicky played 2:51 PP, Merill 1:28 and Fayne averaged to a whopping... 0:02 PP per game. While Shorthanded, Fayne did play an extra 1:59 per game.

Basically Fayne was a 2nd pairing dman - who never played the PP, and was on the second PK unit.

By comparison, Martin Marincin played 16:16 ES TOI per game, plus 2:20 SHTOI and 0:29 PPTOI. So basically Marincin played similar minutes (exactly same amount @ even strength) with a simlar role (top four role plus PK).
the problem with look at Fayne ES time is the fact the oilers spent many games using the special teams for nearly half the game sometimes. IF he can only play es that means for over 1/4 of the game he wont be used. We need players who can play the full game shorrthanded or powerplay

Old
08-14-2014, 10:27 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Good:

- Got rid of Gagner
- Drafted a big center
- Got some big wingers to make us more competitive
- Got some big shut-down d-men to take a lot of pressure off of Petry, Marincin and Schultz
- Got rid of a few members of the Old boys club while bringing in some new experienced coaches
- Vancouver is a lot worse off than last season
- Sharks and Flames have done nothing to improve.

Bad

- Still don't have a #1 d-man
- Could still use another 2 centres
- Don't have a #2 center
- Eakins is still here
- LA is still looking like a beast
- Anaheim is looking a bit better

Ugly

- LD will be playing 2nd line center and given the fact that he's a rookie the chances are the that coach is going to give Yakupv 3rd line minutes in order to give LD more experienced wingers. Perron/Pouliot-LD-Percell is a pretty good guess for a 2nd line.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote