HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your opinion of the Oilers off season so far?

Old
08-14-2014, 10:29 AM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
IMO the off season has been horrible. We overpaid for a bottom pairing guy in Nikitin. This is as guy who was beat out by N.Schultz for a spot during the playoffs for Columbus. We traded a 24 year old center for a 29 year old winger. Why they didn't just keep Gagner and trade a 6th for Purcell I'll never know. I don't mind the Fayne and Pouliot additions.

In all honesty I don't see what western teams we got better then this offseason. I also have no clue why MacT traded Gagner without bringing in a center to replace him. I guess he'd rather ruin another prospect then keep Gagner and let Draisaitl develop properly. IMO the Lowe must go crowd will be out in full force by mid November and he'll have to resign and hopefully MacT as well. This team is still a bottom 5 team in the league unless Yakupov breaks out, Scrivens steals a ton of games, and Draisaitl wins the Calder IMO.

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 10:33 AM
McGlassbangers

vCash: 97
Mark Fayne - great contract. We basically got Anton Strålman for 1 million less than Tampa Bay did. He is good top-4 defender who is able to play against league's best night in, night out.

Benoit Pouliot - too much term but don't care if he makes our team better. He's going to provide more secondary scoring with Purcell than Smith, Horak, Jones and Hemsky did last season combined.

Teddy Purcell - great trade by MacTavish. Gagner is hot garbage who can't skate or play defence. If Purcell doesn't fall down everytime an opponent skates close to him, I'm already happier with him than I was with Gagner.

Nikita Nikitin - overpaid but great term. Gives time for Klefbom & Nurse to develop. Is able to help out Yak. Decent PMD, helps our PP with his big shot.

Keith Aulie - brings size, physicality and depth. Showed loads of potential two years ago, low risk, decent reward type of player.

Smyth <<<< Pouliot
Gagner > Draisaitl
Hemsky >> Purcell
Larsen <<<< Fayne
Belov << Nikitin
Fraser < Aulie

Hard not to be happy.

McGlassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Oilfan2
13.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
IMO the off season has been horrible. We overpaid for a bottom pairing guy in Nikitin. This is as guy who was beat out by N.Schultz for a spot during the playoffs for Columbus. We traded a 24 year old center for a 29 year old winger. Why they didn't just keep Gagner and trade a 6th for Purcell I'll never know. I don't mind the Fayne and Pouliot additions.

In all honesty I don't see what western teams we got better then this offseason. I also have no clue why MacT traded Gagner without bringing in a center to replace him. I guess he'd rather ruin another prospect then keep Gagner and let Draisaitl develop properly. IMO the Lowe must go crowd will be out in full force by mid November and he'll have to resign and hopefully MacT as well. This team is still a bottom 5 team in the league unless Yakupov breaks out, Scrivens steals a ton of games, and Draisaitl wins the Calder IMO.
LOL..Way to cover your bases in the Oil show inprovement..The odds are actually pretty good that Yak will have a much better season after his poor sophmore one and Scrivens will definately win a few on his own (already did it last season).

Hell, Drai could very well be in contention for the Calder so what you're saying is if the Oil play like it looks like they will, they'll be a better team?

Oilfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
the problem with look at Fayne ES time is the fact the oilers spent many games using the special teams for nearly half the game sometimes. IF he can only play es that means for over 1/4 of the game he wont be used. We need players who can play the full game shorrthanded or powerplay
This is just silly. The vast majority of the game is played 5 on 5. The Oilers were dead last in 5 on 5 GA. Seems like a good area to make a meaningful improvement.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Ever heard of the salary cap?

Old
08-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Ever heard of the salary cap?
LOL

It's so damn funny to see people use the salary cap as reasons to get rid of some players they do not value but TOTALLY ignore it and say things like 'It's katz's money' when it is brought up in regards to players they value.

Gagner 4.8 - 2 years

Pouliot 4 - 5 years
Fayne 3.625 - 4 years
Purcell 4.5 - 2 years
Nikitin 4.5 - 2 years

Subtract one center add wingers and defense, weakest position before Gagner was gone? Centre.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Eirhead*

I was hoping MacT would make a play for a #1C type. Y'know, find that Thornton or Spezza or ROR even. Someone who could push Nuge for icetime and not just be the typical "defensively responsible, but good for some points guy." More like a guy who could be a top scorer on the team if it worked out in his favour.

As it stands, we have a real drop off in either talent, or experience beyond RNH. And it's not like RNH is hugely experienced either.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Subtract one center add wingers and defense, weakest position before Gagner was gone? Centre.
I'd argue it was defence. Our defence was atrocious.

Old
08-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
LOL

It's so damn funny to see people use the salary cap as reasons to get rid of some players they do not value but TOTALLY ignore it and say things like 'It's katz's money' when it is brought up in regards to players they value.
Way to miss the point there fella.

Has nothing to do with valuing Gagner or not. Adding Purcell and retaining Gagner would have made it much more difficult to add some of the FA they did. Either they would have had to have passed on one of those players or been about $4M to the cap with Schultz still to sign.

Old
08-14-2014, 12:08 PM
ponokanocker

Pouliot added and Purcell for Gagner will be upgrades, but neither are earth shattering. Both contracts are pretty poor on top of that, but not brutal.

Still no sniff of a top pairing D. I don't expect Weber or Doughty, but a top 60 D in the league is a must. Nikiton looked solid a couple of years ago, while playing with a very solid D, but was a healthy scratch at times for Columbus down the stretch. Fayne didn't even log 20minutes/game, and sounds like a slightly better Ference.

All in all, minor upgrades, but I see the blueline as a major issue in 2014-2015, so we will be out of the playoff hunt by January at the latest.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Still no sniff of a top pairing D. I don't expect Weber or Doughty, but a top 60 D in the league is a must. Nikiton looked solid a couple of years ago, while playing with a very solid D, but was a healthy scratch at times for Columbus down the stretch. Fayne didn't even log 20minutes/game, and sounds like a slightly better Ference.

All in all, minor upgrades, but I see the blueline as a major issue in 2014-2015, so we will be out of the playoff hunt by January at the latest.
I'm, unlike you, extremely optimistic about the upgrades on D. With someone like Petry as our top D-man, we've forgotten what it's like to have a solid guy like Fayne NOT giving the puck away to Patrick Kane or Ryan Getzlaf in the middle of the ice, screwing our goalie hardcore.

I bet you money that the reason Yakupov has the worst on-ice save percentage in the league was because Petry was failing at making the stretch pass too him way too many times. Because that's what Petry does too much of.

Giving that guy less minutes is going to be a huge improvement for us.

Old
08-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Way to miss the point there fella.

Has nothing to do with valuing Gagner or not. Adding Purcell and retaining Gagner would have made it much more difficult to add some of the FA they did. Either they would have had to have passed on one of those players or been about $4M to the cap with Schultz still to sign.
I didn't miss the point at all. What you said as a reason for getting rid of Gagner was salary cap. The same thing that is totally ignored with any dubious move this team makes. If you are going to talk about salary cap then in the same breath I would assume you would lambast the oilers for signing a guy who has been dumped from team to team though his career to a big money 5 year deal.

I'll stick by my original point that 'salary cap' only gets brought up when people who are not valued around here like Gagner and Smid and totally ignored at all other times.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:44 PM
OilTastic
Embrace The Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Mark Fayne - great contract. We basically got Anton Strålman for 1 million less than Tampa Bay did. He is good top-4 defender who is able to play against league's best night in, night out.

Benoit Pouliot - too much term but don't care if he makes our team better. He's going to provide more secondary scoring with Purcell than Smith, Horak, Jones and Hemsky did last season combined.

Teddy Purcell - great trade by MacTavish. Gagner is hot garbage who can't skate or play defence. If Purcell doesn't fall down everytime an opponent skates close to him, I'm already happier with him than I was with Gagner.

Nikita Nikitin - overpaid but great term. Gives time for Klefbom & Nurse to develop. Is able to help out Yak. Decent PMD, helps our PP with his big shot.

Keith Aulie - brings size, physicality and depth. Showed loads of potential two years ago, low risk, decent reward type of player.

Smyth <<<< Pouliot
Gagner > Draisaitl
Hemsky >> Purcell
Larsen <<<< Fayne
Belov << Nikitin
Fraser < Aulie

Hard not to be happy.
things always seem to be a question mark for the Oilers, so i'll give my 2 cents....

Fayne....should give us the same as he gave Jersey, a good solid defensive d-man with good size. i doubt he's going to play worse and might be the safest of the Oiler signings.

Pouliot....may never become the scorer he was projected to be, but *could* put up even more points this season if he gets to play with Nuge or Draisaitl/new 2nd center, and has some size. on the flip side, he could bomb like Eric Belanger did, then we'd be hooped for the next 5 seasons.

Purcell....yes, not as talented as Hemsky, but gives the Oil something that they desperately need up front, size with a nice scoring touch. the last 4 seasons, he's had point totals of 51, 65, 36 (in 48 games) and 42 last year, includes the 24 goals he scored in 11/12.

Nikitin....in my opinion the biggest gamble signing this off season. will he play well or suck? not really all that concerned, he should be easy enough to trade if the Oilers find out that both Marincin and Klefbom are ready to go at some point this season.

Aulie is likely playing most of the season in OKC.

a lot if *if's*, but i'd rather have Pouliot, Purcell, Fayne and Nikitin here than Hemsky, Gagner, Belov and Larsen. improvement in talent up front? maybe not, but much needed size, but for sure improvement on the back end.

OilTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
I didn't miss the point at all. What you said as a reason for getting rid of Gagner was salary cap.
No I didn't. I said (or rather, implied) that the cap was a factor in why they couldn't get Purcell and keep Gagner.

Quote:
The same thing that is totally ignored with any dubious move this team makes. If you are going to talk about salary cap then in the same breath I would assume you would lambast the oilers for signing a guy who has been dumped from team to team though his career to a big money 5 year deal.
I didn't have much to say on the Pouliot deal, but I would invite you to take a look at the Nikitin signing thread if you think I ignore the cap.

Quote:
I'll stick by my original point that 'salary cap' only gets brought up when people who are not valued around here like Gagner and Smid and totally ignored at all other times.
It's not much of a point, but more of a broad generalization without any kind of specific supporting evidence.

Old
08-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Aerchon

Liked it overall.

I am not sure if the Oilers marketing is very clever but it seems like they got who they were targeting. Now it is just a matter of if those players play as intended.

Would have liked to see Eakins gone early to mid season last year. Wouldn't have minded if he got axed in the offseason but I suppose giving him a shot at this point makes some sense. I just hope if he proves he can not get this team working right out of the gate he is fired asap.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist View Post
I'm, unlike you, extremely optimistic about the upgrades on D. With someone like Petry as our top D-man, we've forgotten what it's like to have a solid guy like Fayne NOT giving the puck away to Patrick Kane or Ryan Getzlaf in the middle of the ice, screwing our goalie hardcore.

I bet you money that the reason Yakupov has the worst on-ice save percentage in the league was because Petry was failing at making the stretch pass too him way too many times. Because that's what Petry does too much of.

Giving that guy less minutes is going to be a huge improvement for us.
None of the best teams, in the playoffs, relied on the stretch pass. They earn the stretch pass benefit by using it sparingly. If Petry is failing at the stretch pass, the forwards need to do a better job at putting themselves in a position to receive a non-stretch pass. Most of the Oilers' forward suck at that.

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Frank the Tank
Golden Goal

I think the moves are positive steps to compliment the core group of young players. Nonetheless, I was reading a Bill Simmons article about Kevin Love recently and this paragraph was haunting accurate about Hall, Eberle, and RNH's careers so far:

Quote:
It’s the nightmare scenario for any modern basketball star — jump to the NBA after one college season, land on a few lottery teams, never meet the right veteran teammate, never play for the right coach. We pay them like franchise players before they’re ready, and we expect them to magically evolve into leaders by watching a few dozen sports movies or getting advice from their buddies from home. Too many times, they end up like Kevin Love did: mired for six solid years in the wrong situation, learning all the wrong lessons on the wrong team. And then we wonder why they can’t lead a mediocre team to the playoffs. They can’t win, and they can’t win.
I wish there was a way for a team to acquire a former star player that has won something (even if he is 10 years past his prime) so that player could be a role model for the young stars on training habits and the proper mental discipline required to be a winner in the league. That is why if a player like Mike Richards ever becomes available I would love for the Oilers to grab him, even if he is overpaid.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:

Please list the prospects that MacT has ruined. Go on. Make he list.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist View Post
I was hoping MacT would make a play for a #1C type. Y'know, find that Thornton or Spezza or ROR even. Someone who could push Nuge for icetime and not just be the typical "defensively responsible, but good for some points guy." More like a guy who could be a top scorer on the team if it worked out in his favour.

As it stands, we have a real drop off in either talent, or experience beyond RNH. And it's not like RNH is hugely experienced either.
That would be what a few of us would like to see. Unfortunately, and I hate to continue beating the same, droning, thumping, beating, reverberating, rhythmically dissonant drum, with some added echo, looping and feedback thrown in for good measure......hell's....what was I talking about again?

Oh Yeah

It is unlikely for a "startup" team like the Oilers to attract such sought after talent.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 07:58 PM
trick91

Quote:

I guess all these teams ruined their prospects....

Most prospects that are drafted top 3 play in the NHL right away.

Stamkos
Schenn
Bogosian
Doughty
Bødker
Bailey
Sbisa

Tavares
Duchene
Hedman
Kane
Kulikov
O'Reilly

Hall
Seguin
Burmistov
Fowler

RNH
Landeskog
Larsson
Couturier

Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Trouba
Grigorenko

MacKinnon
Barkov
Jones
Lindholm
Monahan
Ristolainen

trick91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 315

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 09:46 PM
oilman9482

I think it was a great offseason for MacT.

Pouliot is much better than most people on HF Boards gives him credit for in my opinion.

Fayne will be a solid #4.

Getting rid of Gagner was a huge bonus and LD will be a valuable addition to this team next year.

Yakupov should improve a lot along with RNH.

8th seed in the West here we come.

oilman9482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 09:53 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 5769
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman9482 View Post
I think it was a great offseason for MacT.

Pouliot is much better than most people on HF Boards gives him credit for in my opinion.

Fayne will be a solid #4.

Getting rid of Gagner was a huge bonus and LD will be a valuable addition to this team next year.

Yakupov should improve a lot along with RNH.

8th seed in the West here we come.
problem is some fans have Fayne being a 1 or 2 d-man

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I'm sorry that I'm not as optimistic about this offseason than most.
We are entering the season with no #2C and no top-pairing d-man. This will cause players being played out of position, again. I think it's great we finally have 3rd line wingers, and 6 NHL-calibre defense, but so does everyone else. The major holes that have been left has proven to be a complete failure by management over the past 2 summers.
These are major problems and there might be a glut of wingers as well and how does that help a young guy like Yakupov develop?

this could be a pivotal year in his development, or lack of it, and rushing big Leon could be yet another mistake in a long strong of them.

On the plus side most guys on the roster are still climbing the ladder and a small break through could be in order.

If the defense , as a whole , can get better and Scrivens can provide some consistency then they might take that step, if not it could be another lottery pick year.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 10:36 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
LOL..Way to cover your bases in the Oil show inprovement..The odds are actually pretty good that Yak will have a much better season after his poor sophmore one and Scrivens will definately win a few on his own (already did it last season).

Hell, Drai could very well be in contention for the Calder so what you're saying is if the Oil play like it looks like they will, they'll be a better team?
Let be clear ALL of those things have to happen for us to even get a sniff at playoffs. Yak needs to score at minimum 30, Scrivens needs to steal 10 games, and Drasaitl has to be the best rookie of the crop, meaning he needs to put up 60-70 points. I didn't even include that RNH needs to start putting up 1st line center points and winning his match ups. This team will be lucky to not be picking bottom 5 again next year unless we see some miracles.

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote