HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your opinion of the Oilers off season so far?

Old
08-14-2014, 11:41 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Ever heard of the salary cap?
Would Gagner put us over right now? How about if TB had held unto 1/3rd of Purcells contract like they did for Gagner? Thats what I thought. How about we worry about the salary cap when we actually have a problem with it. We have over 8M in cap space according to cap geek so lots of room to have kept him around for this year even with the new additions and a signed J. Schultz.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:44 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Please list the prospects that MacT has ruined. Go on. Make he list.
How many has this club ruined? I'd make a list but I don't have all day. Gagner and Cogliano are the two that I can think of off the top of my head.

Old
08-14-2014, 11:53 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
I guess all these teams ruined their prospects....

Most prospects that are drafted top 3 play in the NHL right away.

Stamkos
Schenn
Bogosian
Doughty
Bødker
Bailey
Sbisa

Tavares
Duchene
Hedman
Kane
Kulikov
O'Reilly

Hall
Seguin
Burmistov
Fowler

RNH
Landeskog
Larsson
Couturier

Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Trouba
Grigorenko

MacKinnon
Barkov
Jones
Lindholm
Monahan
Ristolainen
So over 6 years there's been 3 guys, I'd say the far from "most" prospects picked 3rd overall. Also of note only one of those guys has truly broke out in Duchene and even he had some down years. I think we can expect some struggles from Draisaitl if he indeed makes the club. I'd rather take the Toews approach with him and let him dominate lesser leagues and learn to win but thats me.

Old
08-15-2014, 12:47 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
IMO the off season has been horrible. We overpaid for a bottom pairing guy in Nikitin. This is as guy who was beat out by N.Schultz for a spot during the playoffs for Columbus. We traded a 24 year old center for a 29 year old winger. Why they didn't just keep Gagner and trade a 6th for Purcell I'll never know. I don't mind the Fayne and Pouliot additions.

In all honesty I don't see what western teams we got better then this offseason. I also have no clue why MacT traded Gagner without bringing in a center to replace him. I guess he'd rather ruin another prospect then keep Gagner and let Draisaitl develop properly. IMO the Lowe must go crowd will be out in full force by mid November and he'll have to resign and hopefully MacT as well. This team is still a bottom 5 team in the league unless Yakupov breaks out, Scrivens steals a ton of games, and Draisaitl wins the Calder IMO.
Predictably the usual crew tries to run people off the board for making posts like this. Good post.

Funny thing is 2mths from now everybody will be back to normal here realizing what a gongshow this org. is. Yet any offseason everything coming up roses here and any critical viewpoint gets maligned.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
How many has this club ruined? I'd make a list but I don't have all day. Gagner and Cogliano are the two that I can think of off the top of my head.
You said MacT will ruin another prospect. I'm curious to which ones he's ruined so far.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 01:16 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Predictably the usual crew tries to run people off the board for making posts like this. Good post.

Funny thing is 2mths from now everybody will be back to normal here realizing what a gongshow this org. is. Yet any offseason everything coming up roses here and any critical viewpoint gets maligned.
You should short stocks for a living.

Mact is a bright spot in this org. He's made moves that are reasonable. We'll see if he can strike gold. At least this year his additions have all been actual nhl players

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 01:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Mact is a bright spot in this org. He's made moves that are reasonable. We'll see if he can strike gold. At least this year his additions have all been actual nhl players
MacT's most salient move to this point is hiring Eakins as headcoach. Unfortunately that's the given right now. I don't know its even debatable. That one move nullified anything else. That's the reality when this club was last seen. Lets question the judgement in it as well. Whats stopping MacT from trying out Eakins in an assistant coach capacity (that was his shopping trip in the first place). Hiring a rookie head coach to run a team of rookies was asking for some problems.

Anyway I just find it funny that in a rant thread, that is clearly a rant thread, that the Oiler apologists come in here to the thread with their typical zeal deriding any post that dare be critical of the worst org in the NHL, again this occurring in a rant thread which is obvious as soon as somebody looks at the OP.

People that don't want to see these comments theres an easy answer, don't post in the thread. Don't look at the thread. These are options.

I'm sure theres room here for different takes about this org.

Old
08-15-2014, 01:47 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
problem is some fans have Fayne being a 1 or 2 d-man
I think that there's a very important point that Oil fans are missing here.

Nikitin/ Fayne aren't here to be #1 and #2 d-men. There's no way we're rolling that way.
5 on 5 they're here to play a shutdown role.

Marincin/Petry will be here to do a little bit of everything but they won't be playing so many hard minutes in their own zone.

Ference/Schultz will take a lot more offensive zone starts.

If our face-off % is respectable all 3 of these pairings could each log 20 minutes a night. There shouldn't be a pairing here getting 23 or 25 minutes a night if we're winning face-offs and doing a good job of staying out of the PB.

I'm expecting Hopkins to win a few more face-offs next year, Gordon is gold in the dot and I don't know what to expect out of LD in the circle... but if we're not tragically bad in the dot these pairings will work if we use them properly.

We don't have an obvious Chara, Weber or Pronger, so we don't have a reason to play any of our pairings 25+ minutes a night.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 04:42 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

this gets me every time. 'Lets praise our GM for getting NHL players for our NHL team.' Man the other 29 fanbases must be jealous!

Imagine a group of parents going 'Oh, did you hear about Billy's school? This year all the teachers hired have a teaching degree. What a prestigious school he goes to.'

Last edited by Bergeron47: 08-15-2014 at 04:57 AM.
Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 05:06 AM
MettleOiler

my opinion...

not bad ^^

MettleOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Would Gagner put us over right now? How about if TB had held unto 1/3rd of Purcells contract like they did for Gagner? Thats what I thought. How about we worry about the salary cap when we actually have a problem with it. We have over 8M in cap space according to cap geek so lots of room to have kept him around for this year even with the new additions and a signed J. Schultz.
Yeah maybe they could have pulled it off with some salary re-jigging. Of course it's a moot point: Gagner wasn't a fit here.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Yeah maybe they could have pulled it off with some salary re-jigging. Of course it's a moot point: Gagner wasn't a fit here.
I think we can all agree to that now.

The other plausible reason for his jettisoning is that he'll be playing scared for the rest of his career.

He was a decent player in 2012-13, but was a mess last year. I wonder if Phoenix's management actually watched him, or maybe they were fooled by the stats. He'll be interesting to watch this year.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I think we can all agree to that now.

The other plausible reason for his jettisoning is that he'll be playing scared for the rest of his career.

He was a decent player in 2012-13, but was a mess last year. I wonder if Phoenix's management actually watched him, or maybe they were fooled by the stats. He'll be interesting to watch this year.
I think he'll have a really good year in the desert if he gets the Ribero role of soft zone starts and weak opposition. Plus he'll have decent D and goaltending to cover his butt. I'm sure people will be kicking themselves by the halfway point of the season, albeit unjustifiably.

Old
08-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Beerfish

Mact is good at plugging holes that he previously totally ignored and then overpays to plug those holes. I'll give him that. He went and got the Grebeshcovs, larsens, joenessues, lolbarberas of the world, then he fixed those errors by having to pay a price in trades or FA signings. (Oh yeah he also kept and swore by two poor assistant coaches.)

2nd line C is up this year. He has done nothing to enhance an already weak center position and sometime next year will have to over pay to fix the hole and will be praised for doing it.

In the end this team needs to take some kind of serious step next season. We shall see.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 11:02 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
If Gagner wasn't a fit here MacT should have moved him last summer instead of giving him a 3 year 4.8M deal. It's amazing how over 1 season MacT flipped that much on Gags. I don't mind that he moved Gagner that much. What I mind is he didn't bring in anyone to replace him to create some competition at camp. I would have loved to go into the season with something like:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Jokinen/Gagner-Yakupov
Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell
Gazdic-Gordon-Hendricks
Lander

but instead were heading in like this:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Arcobello-Yakupov
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Purcell
Gazdic-Gordon-Henndricks
Lander

If RNH goes down we have no depth in the organization to cover it. We'll be running with 3 rookie centers in Arcobello, Drasaitl, and Lander unless something changes.

Old
08-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
If Gagner wasn't a fit here MacT should have moved him last summer instead of giving him a 3 year 4.8M deal. It's amazing how over 1 season MacT flipped that much on Gags. I don't mind that he moved Gagner that much. What I mind is he didn't bring in anyone to replace him to create some competition at camp. I would have loved to go into the season with something like:
This is exactly it. MacT gets a free pass for resigning Gagner for the contract he did then a year later figures the kid isn't a fit and ditches him. How MacT isn't culpable in some way for this I have no idea. You do one or the other, you don't do both. Especially well within a calendar year..

Its typical of this org never really having a plan and never really looking forward to what it wants to do.

Old
08-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
MacT's most salient move to this point is hiring Eakins as headcoach. Unfortunately that's the given right now. I don't know its even debatable. That one move nullified anything else. That's the reality when this club was last seen. Lets question the judgement in it as well. Whats stopping MacT from trying out Eakins in an assistant coach capacity (that was his shopping trip in the first place). Hiring a rookie head coach to run a team of rookies was asking for some problems.

Anyway I just find it funny that in a rant thread, that is clearly a rant thread, that the Oiler apologists come in here to the thread with their typical zeal deriding any post that dare be critical of the worst org in the NHL, again this occurring in a rant thread which is obvious as soon as somebody looks at the OP.

People that don't want to see these comments theres an easy answer, don't post in the thread. Don't look at the thread. These are options.

I'm sure theres room here for different takes about this org
Irony, eh?

Pot, meet kettle.....

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 11:48 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Jokinen/Gagner-Yakupov
Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell
Gazdic-Gordon-Hendricks
Lander

but instead were heading in like this:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Arcobello-Yakupov
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Purcell
Gazdic-Gordon-Henndricks
Lander

If RNH goes down we have no depth in the organization to cover it. We'll be running with 3 rookie centers in Arcobello, Drasaitl, and Lander unless something changes.
This is exactly what should have happened. When MacT came in I was hoping that Gagner and Paajarvi were history. He got it half right but his ringing endorsement of Gagner was pretty bizarre in my opinion.

Coming off a bit of a career year it would have been a great time to get some value back in a trade. I remember throwing out a Gagner for Zajac trade suggestion at the time and it got slammed pretty hard. It wouldn't look that bad right about now, if it was even a possibility.

Good thing we just signed one of Gagners biggest supporters as our analytics guys. According to Dellow we needed to sign him or we would be missing the boat on the next break out super star. I believe Thorntons name was bandied about....... Let's hope his contributions are limited strictly to numbers with no inquiries into what his gut is telling him

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Irony, eh?

Pot, meet kettle.....
How so?

I actually don't post in over 90% of the threads on this board. While I tend to carpet bomb the threads I do participate in theres increasingly fewer threads that I do post in at all.

This should be good news in the "theres enough board space here for everyone" theme..

But seriously, OP is a longtime critic of the org. One of the most regular posters anywhere and people click on it anyway and complain about negative posts contained therein? Really?

Plus that apologist commentary often (not saying you) isn't even attempting dialog. At least when I post I have something to say...

Last edited by Replacement: 08-15-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old
08-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Irony, eh?

Pot, meet kettle.....
Quote:
How so?

I actually don't post in over 90% of the threads on this board. While I tend to carpet bomb the threads I do participate in theres increasingly fewer threads that I do post in at all.

This should be good news in the "theres enough board space here for everyone" theme..

But seriously, OP is a longtime critic of the org. One of the most regular posters anywhere and people click on it anyway and complain about negative posts contained therein?

Plus that apologist commentary often (not saying you) isn't even attempting dialog. At least when I post I have something to say...
Shouldn't have to explain the one liner but...

I just think it's ironic that you 'complain' about people 'complaining' in what you say is an obvious rant thread..Although the title appears to be asking an honest question on people's opinion of the Oiler's off-season but what do I know..

If "theres enough board space for everyone", as you say, shouldn't folks that have an opposing view be allowed the curtesy of posting the opposing view, albeit in a rant thread, without the usual snide 'apologist' comment meant to deride other posters that don't share the opinion of the 'negatives' (see, I can do that too)?
Otherwise, it would only be the first post allowed OR a bunch of people with the same view. That would hardly make for an interesting discussion.

I think if people want to rant on a public discussion board, no problem. However, I would expect that there will be a portion of the population that will disagree with whatever I or someone else will post in any thread here regarding the Oilers or any team or subject, for that matter.

It's not going to change because you or I say they shouldn't and calling them derisive names doesn't help.

That's my rant contribution to this thread.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
If Gagner wasn't a fit here MacT should have moved him last summer instead of giving him a 3 year 4.8M deal. It's amazing how over 1 season MacT flipped that much on Gags.
Maybe Gagner suggested he wanted out after the crap season he had. I believe there were rumblings to that effect. Or maybe the valuation of the player changed. It happens all the time (that's why we have buyouts).

As for last summer, do you think his value would have been much higher as an unsigned RFA?

Quote:
I don't mind that he moved Gagner that much. What I mind is he didn't bring in anyone to replace him to create some competition at camp.
I don't believe it was for lack of trying. They talked to Jokinene, they talked to Ribero and I'm sure they talked to the others.

Quote:
Arco isn't a rookie, but the point is taken. I'm not sure what more you think could have been done. Assuming MacT was in touch with all the available options, should he have opened the vaults? Kidnapped them at gunpoint?

Old
08-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

^^Oh I complain a lot Oh, yes.

Fair point on the complaining about complaining about complaining bit.

In anycase you gotta know I'm modeling what I see here all the time. I think you detected that. Namely that in any positivity thread people get cuffed up the side of the head for voicing anything negative and being told to start their own threads for that.

Well this is such a thread.

Last edited by Replacement: 08-15-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old
08-15-2014, 12:38 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Quote:

Wow...entitled much?

Hmmm "Your opinion of the Oilers off season so far?" Yep, that screams rant thread to me, and it's not asking what everyone's actual opinion is at all.

Some would say you're being pretty arrogant here Replacement. If it was supposed to be only a rant thread, don't you think that would have been part of the title?

Not every thread is for *****ing you know... as much as you'd like it to be (and try to make it).

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Looks like I rang the dinner bell.

Old
08-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Wow...entitled much?

Hmmm "Your opinion of the Oilers off season so far?" Yep, that screams rant thread to me, and it's not asking what everyone's actual opinion is at all.

Some would say you're being pretty arrogant here Replacement. If it was supposed to be only a rant thread, don't you think that would have been part of the title?

Not every thread is for *****ing you know... as much as you'd like it to be (and try to make it).
This is typical. Like I say its easy enough to avoid me or similar negative commentary on the board as I don't post in the vast majority of threads.

If you don't recognize the OP as a ranter by now and who has a critical view of org operations I really don't know what to say. The guy posts more than I do...

This is a biatching thread. There, learn to like it, you'll be joining the darkside soon enough

Deal with it. This org entirely deserves this fan base.

Oh, and if I did an advanced search on your posts 25% of them would start with "Wow" in mock surprise...yabber yabber oh something else about hamsters and smelling of elderberries.