HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from around the NHL

Old
09-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Crossbar

vCash: 500
News from around the NHL

Thought maybe we should have a thread dedicated for discussions on all the miscellaneous, non-Panther related news and updates, that still might interest us hockey fans.

Rick Nash out 2-3 weeks.
Lehtonen pulls groin.

Yikes tough breaks, does this mean Bouwmeester and Pitkanen are next?

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
Thought maybe we should have a thread dedicated for discussions on all the miscellaneous, non-Panther related news and updates, that still might interest us hockey fans.

Rick Nash out 2-3 weeks.
Lehtonen pulls groin.

Yikes tough breaks, does this mean Bouwmeester and Pitkanen are next?
Pitkanen is next, but nothing to do with the coincidence of draft year. Have you paid attention to the Flyers yet? Forsberg, Hatcher, and Kapanen all injured already. And the preseason hasn't even begun yet

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
Pitkanen is next, but nothing to do with the coincidence of draft year. Have you paid attention to the Flyers yet? Forsberg, Hatcher, and Kapanen all injured already. And the preseason hasn't even begun yet
Don't believe the hype with Philly. Hatcher has bad knees and won't be as good if the league truly cracks down on obstruction. Forsberg is injury prone. Goaltending is soft.

I read an interesting article on TSN today about Pierre Turgeon. I had to laugh when I read it. the only thing he has in common with Forsberg is being brittle.

Turgeon: I'm not Peter Forsberg

Canadian Press

9/16/2005 5:10:40 PM

DENVER (AP) - Pierre Turgeon wants to make one thing clear.

"I'm not Peter Forsberg, that we know," Turgeon said ahead of Colorado's pre-season game Saturday against Dallas at the Pepsi Center.

The 36-year-old centre replaces the beloved Forsberg, who helped the Avalanche win two Stanley Cups and played his entire career with the organization before signing a $11.5-million US, two-year contract with the Philadelphia Flyers.

Turgeon signed a deal with Colorado on Aug. 3 that will pay him $1.5 million next season - the same amount Forsberg turned down on the day he moved to Philadelphia.

Avalanche general manager Pierre Lacroix made the comparison at the time, saying "Pierre Turgeon has all the skills to fill holes created by Peter Forsberg."

Turgeon dismisses any such parallels to Forsberg, though quickly added that he has his own skills to offer to the Avalanche.

"I could bring a lot of good things," Turgeon said.

Avalanche coach Joel Quenneville agreed.

"He can score, he can make plays. He's great around the net. He should help our power play," Quenneville said.

Turgeon was a four-time all-star with three teams before being signed by Dallas as a free agent in 2001. But in the next three seasons, Turgeon's scoring and assist totals dropped by half, from 30 goals and 52 assists in 2000-01 with St. Louis to 15 goals and 25 assists in his final season with the Stars.

"His couple years in Dallas weren't as successful as he had hoped," Quenneville said. "We feel he's revitalized, he's excited about the opportunity."

Quenneville said Turgeon should benefit from new NHL rules made to encourage scoring.

The NHL has taken the red-line out, meaning teams can attempt longer passes to create breakaway opportunities. Officials will be cracking down on obstruction in the offensive zone, which should allow good skaters more room to get off their shots.

"The rule changes, the reward to offensive-type players and play, should enhance his game," Quenneville said. "I think he should be able to continue to produce for us and all of a sudden jump-start his career again."

Besides a possible career rebound, Turgeon is aching for the championship that has eluded him in his previous 17 seasons. He took less money with Colorado than he could have earned from other teams, believing it was the place to win a Stanley Cup.

"I'm at the stage of my career, I don't have a lot of years left in front of me," he said. "Obviously winning the Stanley Cup would be a big thing."

Not that he doesn't expect at least some transition, especially on a team that lost superstars Forsberg and Adam Foote because of salary-cap issues. Joe Sakic, Rob Blake, Alex Tanguay and Milan Hejduk remain, and will be joined by defenceman Patrice Brisebois, who was signed on the same day as Turgeon.

"There's been a lot of movement. Obviously, getting in the locker-room before games, you're going to have to look at the lineup to see who's your side," Turgeon said.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2005, 07:27 AM
Happy Girl

And i thought Hull looked fat!

Tkachuk fails physical, suspended
TSN.ca
Canadian Press
9/16/2005 10:15:02 PM

ST. LOUIS (AP) - St. Louis Blues forward Keith Tkachuk failed a physical and was suspended Friday by the team.

General manager Larry Pleau did not elaborate on the status of Tkachuk, but said he was expected to return to the team.

TSN has learned that Tkachuk showed up overweight and the team felt it had no choice but to suspend him.

"Players have to come to camp in shape," Blue coach Mike Kitchen told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Friday. "He's been terrific following the program previously. The work stoppage has been hard on a lot of people. We had a lot of frustrated players. ... They had so many dates they had to peak, and they weren't able to hold their level of fitness."

The 33-year-old left wing had 33 goals and 38 assists in 2003-04, the last season before the lockout. He has scored 431 goals and added 401 assists in his career.

The Blues' first full-squad workout is Saturday, and the team opens the pre-season Wednesday at home against the Predators.

Old
09-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl
Don't believe the hype with Philly. Hatcher has bad knees and won't be as good if the league truly cracks down on obstruction. Forsberg is injury prone. Goaltending is soft.
I haven't bought into the hype - impressed at first, but then realized Philly's defense will be too slow for the new league, and they've lost a LOT of scoring, only some of which could be replaced by Forsberg if he stays healthy. And, yes, goaltending is a big ?.

Old
09-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Crossbar

That is one reason I'm glad the Panthers spent the money on 6-7 cheap, but effective vets. With our terrible luck, if we would've spent the money on 1 or 2 top-end players, they would've got injured right away and we would be back to square one with our youngsters figuring things out for themselves. At least now if a couple get injured, we'll still have some vets left to teach/lead the youngsters.

Old
09-17-2005, 11:32 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
I haven't bought into the hype - impressed at first, but then realized Philly's defense will be too slow for the new league, and they've lost a LOT of scoring, only some of which could be replaced by Forsberg if he stays healthy. And, yes, goaltending is a big ?.
I think Esche / Nitty will be a pretty solid combo.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2005, 11:38 AM
m2k2p

I don't think Philly's goaltending is the prob. Eshce was really good last season and Niitymaki has been impressive. The big slow d-men and injuries will be their biggest problem. Injuries are what killed them last season too.

m2k2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2005, 11:49 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2k2p
I don't think Philly's goaltending is the prob. Eshce was really good last season and Niitymaki has been impressive. The big slow d-men and injuries will be their biggest problem. Injuries are what killed them last season too.
Bingo.

Old
09-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Crossbar

Anyone listen to any of the NHL preseason games last night?

I listened in on the entire Calgary-Edmonton game (was interested in hearing what Pronger, Schremp, and Phaneuf would do) and the impressions I got from the game, is that special teams (PP/PK) are going to be even more important in the "new" NHL.

Old
09-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
Anyone listen to any of the NHL preseason games last night?

I listened in on the entire Calgary-Edmonton game (was interested in hearing what Pronger, Schremp, and Phaneuf would do) and the impressions I got from the game, is that special teams (PP/PK) are going to be even more important in the "new" NHL.
Well, we got the PK. Lets just hope the PP comes through this year.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2005, 02:09 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Well, we got the PK. Lets just hope the PP comes through this year.
Haha you said pp.

Old
09-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck
Haha you said pp.
At least it's not a Tuma..

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Happy Girl

How to get yourself cut from the Habs

Habs' Ryder injures ankle at practice
TSN.ca Staff
9/17/2005 2:37:42 PM

Montreal Canadiens right winger Michael Ryder suffered an ankle injury yesterday and is currently listed as day-to-day pending further tests.

Ryder, 25, had his ankle fallen on by defenceman Jonathan Aitken in yesterday's practice and it will cause Ryder to miss the team's pre-season opener against Atlanta on Sunday.

Coming off an impressive rookie campaign in 2003-2004, during which he tallied 63 points in 81 games, Ryder signed a one-year, $1-million contract with the Canadiens less than a week ago.

An eighth-round pick of the Habs in 1998 Ryder, a native of Bonavista, Newfoundland, scored 61 points in 42 games with Leksands in Sweden last year.

Old
09-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Acadmus

What?? No one's mentioned yet that Keith Tkachuk, the league's premier power forward, got suspended by the Blues for reporting to camp FAT?!?

Old
09-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
What?? No one's mentioned yet that Keith Tkachuk, the league's premier power forward, got suspended by the Blues for reporting to camp FAT?!?
Scroll up sweetie - I already posted that Upchuck is fat.

Old
09-17-2005, 07:08 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:

That's the second time in as many days our young Acadmus has failed to use the scroll and back buttons.

So brash, he is.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns
That's the second time in as many days our young Acadmus has failed to use the scroll and back buttons.

So brash, he is.
At least he's not a Tuma

Old
09-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
That would require effort...I come here because it's easy

Old
09-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
That would require effort...I come here because it's easy
You're easy - you might not want to spread that around.

Old
09-17-2005, 11:09 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Listened to the Flyers / Thrashers game. Soooooooooooo many penalties! The game finished 8 to 6 with Gagne getting a hat trick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2005091715

Old
09-18-2005, 03:23 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
You're easy - you might not want to spread that around.
I'm a guy - we WANT women to know that

Old
09-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Listened to the Flyers / Thrashers game. Soooooooooooo many penalties! The game finished 8 to 6 with Gagne getting a hat trick.

All of those PIMs and Brashear got only one - how does that happen? Did he only play the 2nd period?

Old
09-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Crossbar

Quote:

Yeah, welcome to the new penalty filled NHL.

BTW, what's up with TSN's scoreboard? LA Angels vs. Los Angeles?

Last edited by Crossbar: 09-18-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old
09-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Happy Girl

TSN is reporting that the Thrashers have signed Bondra.