HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from around the NHL

Old
09-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Happy Girl

vCash: 500
Datsyuk back to Detroit

Datsyuk appears ready to return to Wings

Sports Ticker

9/19/2005 7:37:33 PM

DETROIT (Ticker) - It looks like Pavel Datsyuk will play for the Detroit Red Wings after all.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland indicated prior to the team's preseason game on Monday that Datsyuk will likely re-join the team some time in the coming week.

"I think he's coming back to Detroit, unless I get a major curveball," Holland told reporters at an informal press conference Monday. "My expectation is that he's coming back by the weekend."

Datsyuk, 27, was involved in a contract dispute with the team during the offseason. According to published reports, Datsyuk - a restricted free agent with the Red Wings - signed a one-year contract with Russian Club Avangard Omsk on September 5.

Despite reportedly turning down a $5 million offer by Detroit, Datsyuk has a clause in his Avangard contract which allows him to leave for the NHL midway through the season.

Holland admitted that he has not spoken with Datsyuk since September 5 but did reveal that he has been in contact with the All-Star center's agent, Gary Greenstin.

In 75 games with the Red Wings in 2003-04, Datsyuk scored a team-high 30 goals with 38 assists.

Detroit's sixth pick in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, Datsyuk spent last season with Dynamo Moscow. He joined Detroit for the 2001-02 season and helped the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup in his rookie season.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Crossbar

Ritchie itching to play

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...28894-sun.html

Quote:
Byron Ritchie has been reunited with his former Florida Panthers linemate. At least for a night. The 5-ft. 10-in. centre will fill in for veteran Stephane Yelle between Shean Donovan and Marcus Nilson tonight when the Calgary Flames take on the Chicago Blackhawks in pre-season action at the Saddledome.

Ritchie and Nilson formed two thirds of the John Deere line with the Cats in 2003-04 before the latter was picked up by the Flames in exchange for a second-round pick at the trade deadline -- just in time to join in on Calgary's post-season party. Craig MacDonald, the third member of the hard-working but short-lived Florida trio, is also in Flames camp but is expected to sit out tonight.
Pretty cool that they still give the John Deere line recognition for all the hard work they did here.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Panthers2006

Send a message via MSN to Panthers2006
hehe- that line was awesome...they all got the same haircuts too- they had like medium hair on the sides and a longer mohawk going down the middle...im glad i got to see them before they all got disbanded.

Panthers2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers2006
hehe- that line was awesome...they all got the same haircuts too- they had like medium hair on the sides and a longer mohawk going down the middle...im glad i got to see them before they all got disbanded.
Now I am no fan of the Leafs but hands down the best hair in hockey is McCabe. The blue mohawk - now that's super sexy!

Old
09-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl
Datsyuk appears ready to return to Wings

Sports Ticker

9/19/2005 7:37:33 PM

DETROIT (Ticker) - It looks like Pavel Datsyuk will play for the Detroit Red Wings after all.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland indicated prior to the team's preseason game on Monday that Datsyuk will likely re-join the team some time in the coming week.

"I think he's coming back to Detroit, unless I get a major curveball," Holland told reporters at an informal press conference Monday. "My expectation is that he's coming back by the weekend."

Datsyuk, 27, was involved in a contract dispute with the team during the offseason. According to published reports, Datsyuk - a restricted free agent with the Red Wings - signed a one-year contract with Russian Club Avangard Omsk on September 5.

Despite reportedly turning down a $5 million offer by Detroit, Datsyuk has a clause in his Avangard contract which allows him to leave for the NHL midway through the season.

Holland admitted that he has not spoken with Datsyuk since September 5 but did reveal that he has been in contact with the All-Star center's agent, Gary Greenstin.

In 75 games with the Red Wings in 2003-04, Datsyuk scored a team-high 30 goals with 38 assists.

Detroit's sixth pick in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, Datsyuk spent last season with Dynamo Moscow. He joined Detroit for the 2001-02 season and helped the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup in his rookie season.
This is great news considering that he was my first forward picked in my fantasy league. I was going to drop him but decided to wait till opening night to be sure.. Good move by me

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Happy Girl

Deadmarsh Retiring

TSN is reporting that Adam Deadmarsh is retiring due to concussion injuries.

Old
09-22-2005, 11:11 AM
m2k2p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...28894-sun.html

Pretty cool that they still give the John Deere line recognition for all the hard work they did here.
I loved watching that line play, I guess Sutter did to since he signed all of them to his team. They fit well in Calgary.

m2k2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
TSN is reporting that Adam Deadmarsh is retiring due to concussion injuries.
I'm really hoping the NHL finds a formula for cracking down on that. I don't care if they're "legal" hits. You can't have a league that will attract fans with so many of your best players, the ones fans come to see, going down with concussions.

Deadmarsh wasn't a marquis name, but he was a good 2nd line guy and could score goals. He's become the latest casualty of PCS. Lafontaine, Stevens, Brett Lindros...God, now I'm drawing a blank on all the guys the past few years that quit due to concussions. Beukeboom's the only one I can think of now, and he doesn't count since he caused enough

I know someone'll form a list.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
I'm really hoping the NHL finds a formula for cracking down on that. I don't care if they're "legal" hits. You can't have a league that will attract fans with so many of your best players, the ones fans come to see, going down with concussions.

Deadmarsh wasn't a marquis name, but he was a good 2nd line guy and could score goals. He's become the latest casualty of PCS. Lafontaine, Stevens, Brett Lindros...God, now I'm drawing a blank on all the guys the past few years that quit due to concussions. Beukeboom's the only one I can think of now, and he doesn't count since he caused enough

I know someone'll form a list.
You'll probably have to add Steve Moore to that list thanks to Mr. Bertuzzi. I know that Kariya and Modano have had a few concussions but thankfully have been able to return.

Old
09-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
You'll probably have to add Steve Moore to that list thanks to Mr. Bertuzzi. I know that Kariya and Modano have had a few concussions but thankfully have been able to return.
Forget concussions - Modano's lucky he was able to return from that from behind check by Salei a few years back. My GOD! When I saw that I thought he was dead. Amazing someone can have his head fold backwards against his spine and return to play a little more than a month later.

More amazing Salei only got a 10 game suspension.

But, yeah, let's not forget jellybrains Lindros and Jason Allison on the concussions but returned list. Rob Niedermayer, too (thanks to Lindros).

Old
09-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Forget concussions - Modano's lucky he was able to return from that from behind check by Salei a few years back. My GOD! When I saw that I thought he was dead. Amazing someone can have his head fold backwards against his spine and return to play a little more than a month later.

More amazing Salei only got a 10 game suspension.
Agree - that has got to be the worst hit I've ever seen. Thankfully for Mike and the league - he was able to come back.

The NHL is great about saying it's going to crack down on that kind of stuff and it does for a few weeks or so and then slowly but surely it starts up again. Until the league is consistent and gives out stiff penalties - certain players will continue to do it.

Old
09-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Hmm... I don't remember the Modano/Salei hit at all, and Modano used to be my fave player...

Anyone got a video or an image to share?

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
Hmm... I don't remember the Modano/Salei hit at all, and Modano used to be my fave player...

Anyone got a video or an image to share?
I think it happened in 99-00 season. It was completely illegal and just awful to watch. I thought he was going to be paralyzed for sure.

Old
09-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
I think it happened in 99-00 season. It was completely illegal and just awful to watch. I thought he was going to be paralyzed for sure.
It happened Oct 3, 1999, Salei slammed Mike head first into the boards. Mo had just shot the puck and obviously no longer had possession. 10 game suspension to Salei was an absolute joke - both he and marchment should be banned.

Last edited by Happy Girl: 09-22-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old
09-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
It happened Oct 3, 1999, Salei slammed Mike head first into the boards. Mo had just shot the puck and obviously no longer had possession. 10 game suspension to Salei was an absolute joke - both he and marchment should be banned.
Just to clear up the picture, Mike had blown past Salei and was on a breakaway. Salei had no chance to catch him, so he just gave him a push from behind which sent Modano off his feet and head first into the boards at ice level. His body basically folded up over his head - backwards.

Like I said, when I saw it (don't know why I was watching that game) I thought Modano was dead. It was a little while before he moved afterward, which added to it.

To his credit, Salei hasn't done anything like that since.

Old
09-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Just to clear up the picture, Mike had blown past Salei and was on a breakaway. Salei had no chance to catch him, so he just gave him a push from behind which sent Modano off his feet and head first into the boards at ice level. His body basically folded up over his head - backwards.

Like I said, when I saw it (don't know why I was watching that game) I thought Modano was dead. It was a little while before he moved afterward, which added to it.

To his credit, Salei hasn't done anything like that since.
Mike had already shot the puck - there was absolutely no point to the hit. And I am glad to see that nearly killing someone showed Salei the error of his judgement.

Old
09-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Happy Girl

I am watching the Blue Jackets update on Fox Sports Ohio. Oh NHL Center Ice please deliver me from Brian Engblom and his blonde mullett. All the love for Nash - don't worry Jaybo - Happy Girl loves you - not Nash.

BTW - Forsberg skated today - first time since his surgery. he should be good to go for the rest of training camp before he gets hurt again.

Old
09-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Happy Girl

Jeff Rimer is interviewing Don MacLean - but they're in Columbus - it's kind of weird - I keep waiting for Mellanby to show up.

Old
09-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
BTW - Forsberg skated today - first time since his surgery. he should be good to go for the rest of training camp before he gets hurt again.
Which should be about the time he starts the rest of training camp

Old
09-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
I am watching the Blue Jackets update on Fox Sports Ohio. Oh NHL Center Ice please deliver me from Brian Engblom and his blonde mullett. All the love for Nash - don't worry Jaybo - Happy Girl loves you - not Nash.

Do you already have stuff showing on NHL Center Ice?

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Do you already have stuff showing on NHL Center Ice?
Not yet -

Old
09-23-2005, 08:05 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Jeff Rimer is interviewing Don MacLean - but they're in Columbus - it's kind of weird - I keep waiting for Mellanby to show up.
I wonder if Jeff's going to join him in a rousing rendition of "American Pie". Don sings as Rimer chimes in........."and we were singin'........bye, bye miss american pie, drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry....."

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever
I wonder if Jeff's going to join him in a rousing rendition of "American Pie". Don sings as Rimer chimes in........."and we were singin'........bye, bye miss american pie, drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry....."
They're in Buckeye land now - they'll be leading the renditions of "Hang On Sloopy."

Old
09-23-2005, 08:19 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
They're in Buckeye land now - they'll be leading the renditions of "Hang On Sloopy."
LOL, just to clarify, DON MacLean sang "American Pie", DOUG MacLean is GM for the blueskirts. When my daughter informed me that "Sloopy" was the Ohio state song, I nearly peed my pants.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever
LOL, just to clarify, DON MacLean sang "American Pie", DOUG MacLean is GM for the blueskirts. When my daughter informed me that "Sloopy" was the Ohio state song, I nearly peed my pants.
I know that! But for the longest time as a wee lass I thought it was Hang on Snoopy. Sometimes I sing it that way just to pi$$ people off.