HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nurse once again Edmonton Oilers' top prospect in Fall 2014 Top 20

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-20-2014, 10:35 PM
  #1
HF Article
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 12,508
vCash: 500
Nurse once again Edmonton Oilers' top prospect in Fall 2014 Top 20

Darnell Nurse recorded 50 points in 64 games while also serving as captain of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. (courtesy of Aaron Bell/OHL Images)


*

The Fall 2014 edition of the Edmonton Oilers Top 20 remained relatively steadfast among the top five spots save for the addition of newcomer to the list and 2014 third-overall draft selection Leon Draisaitl. Once again, the Top 20 is dominated by defensive prospects but two strong power forwards, Mitch Moroz and Jujhar Khaira (both drafted in 2012), continue to turn heads as they make a push up the rankings and look toward having a strong training camp performance.read more

The post Nurse once again Edmonton Oilers’ top prospect in Fall 2014 Top 20 appeared first on Hockey's Future.



More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 10:51 PM
  #2
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: McDavid
Posts: 26,549
vCash: 50
Greg Chase at 14? Not sure about that.. He's up there with Khaira, Yakimov and Moroz IMO. Also think Simpson should be higher.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 10:57 PM
  #3
OF17
Registered User
 
OF17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: en France
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Fun to read. Thank you for posting.

I do disagree about how likely Nurse is to play in the NHL this season. He'd have to pass all of Klefbom, Marincin, and Aulie to accomplish that, which I don't see as reasonable. Possible, but highly unlikely.

OF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 11:06 PM
  #4
McDNicks17
Moderator
McDavid Has Arrived
 
McDNicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,334
vCash: 50
It's hard to take the list seriously when they've got a player(Gustafsson) on there that the Oilers don't even own the rights to anymore.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 11:43 PM
  #5
Mr Positive
just fix it, Chia
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11,467
vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
It's hard to take the list seriously when they've got a player(Gustafsson) on there that the Oilers don't even own the rights to anymore.
How does that work? I thought he was playing elsewhere but we own his NHL rights like we did with Harti

edit: to me that would still qualify him as a prospect imo

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 11:48 PM
  #6
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
He'd have to pass all of Klefbom, Marincin, and Aulie to accomplish that, which I don't see as reasonable. Possible, but highly unlikely.
How do you figure that?

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 11:49 PM
  #7
OttawaOilers
Formerly JCF
 
OttawaOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500

OttawaOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 11:52 PM
  #8
McDeathbyCheerios*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 17,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
How do you figure that?
He wouldn't have to pass Aulie as he was signed just to be the extra dmen with mostly press box time. Marincin right now is the player to beat depth wise and it's Marincins spot to lose. Nikitin and Ference are 2/3 of the left d and either Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse will fill the other one. My money is on Marincin but you never know

McDeathbyCheerios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 12:36 AM
  #9
ChaoticOrange*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,395
vCash: 500
Personally I'd have Chase in the Top 10. He did more than enough to climb that high.

ChaoticOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 01:24 AM
  #10
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,417
vCash: 99
While some here pine away at the minutia of the ranking order, I can't help but be struck by the depth of the future of this club....and what I think MacT is planning for. Grab a couple of bona fide D's and 3rd 4th liners for some of these kids to beat out of a job.

When was the last time there were a number of quality players in the minors pushing at the bit?

Next couple of years will be mighty interesting.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 01:27 AM
  #11
McDNicks17
Moderator
McDavid Has Arrived
 
McDNicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,334
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
How does that work? I thought he was playing elsewhere but we own his NHL rights like we did with Harti

edit: to me that would still qualify him as a prospect imo
He was never signed.

He's a UFA now.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 01:38 AM
  #12
Aceonfire*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
FYI

Marco Roy was traded to the Ramparts and will not be returning to the Armada.

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 04:12 AM
  #13
OF17
Registered User
 
OF17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: en France
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
He wouldn't have to pass Aulie as he was signed just to be the extra dmen with mostly press box time. Marincin right now is the player to beat depth wise and it's Marincins spot to lose. Nikitin and Ference are 2/3 of the left d and either Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse will fill the other one. My money is on Marincin but you never know
In the sense that Aulie is pegged for an NHL job and Nurse is not, Nurse does have to pass Aulie. Marincin and Klefbom have to be better than Aulie to play too, so it's not as if Aulie is just a professional bench warmer.

Both in terms of playing ability and best practices for development, I'll be shocked if keeping Nurse in the NHL makes more sense than keeping either of Marincin or Klefbom. It'll be a pretty big story if even Klefbom beats out Marincin. For better or worse, and I think for much better, I think Nurse goes back to junior.

OF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 12:11 PM
  #14
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar McLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,927
vCash: 500
This article tells me the writer doesn't even follow the Oilers. Gustafsson isn't with the organization anymore.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 12:32 PM
  #15
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1
 
McMozesmadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 500
Jujhar Khaira played the entire year at centre. HF always has him listed as LW.

HE PLAYS CENTRE

McMozesmadness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 01:32 PM
  #16
OilTastic
Embrace The Hate
 
OilTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
How does that work? I thought he was playing elsewhere but we own his NHL rights like we did with Harti

edit: to me that would still qualify him as a prospect imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He was never signed.

He's a UFA now.
no big loss in my book. i never liked the pick and i never thought Gustafsson was ever going to play a game for the Oilers. they have already replaced him with Lagesson anyways.

OilTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 01:36 PM
  #17
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,829
vCash: 500
I would have Yakimov and Chase much higher and Moroz much lower.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 01:46 PM
  #18
OilTastic
Embrace The Hate
 
OilTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,937
vCash: 500
^at least they didn't do the shiny new toy thing other than Leon, and include Lagesson in the top 20 when he clearly is not yet one of our top 20 prospects. also Gustafsson should not have been in the top 20, whether or not he's still with the Oilers and good on HF for not including others who clearly don't deserve to be on the list like Curtis Hamilton.

OilTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 02:34 PM
  #19
McOkMcgoMcoil
Registered User
 
McOkMcgoMcoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 14,094
vCash: 500
Actually nice to have a year when our new pick didn't just jump to number one. reality LD and Nurse chould be a tie.

Wonder if they send Nurse down again. He is NHL ready now, but with Marincin and Klef, along with Nikiti and Fayne, we don't have a lot of room for him. He will destory the OHL this year if the goes down.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 02:45 PM
  #20
OilTastic
Embrace The Hate
 
OilTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,937
vCash: 500
^technically they are a tie for 1st, with each being ranked at 8.0 C

OilTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 03:40 PM
  #21
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: McDavid
Posts: 26,549
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Actually nice to have a year when our new pick didn't just jump to number one. reality LD and Nurse chould be a tie.

Wonder if they send Nurse down again. He is NHL ready now, but with Marincin and Klef, along with Nikiti and Fayne, we don't have a lot of room for him. He will destory the OHL this year if the goes down.
It will take Nurse absolutely dominating everything in pre-season for him to even get 9 games. Marincin and Klefbom are older and still need to break into the lineup. Nurse hasn't had the World Juniors experience. Those two reasons are enough to send him down.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 04:19 PM
  #22
McOkMcgoMcoil
Registered User
 
McOkMcgoMcoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 14,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
It will take Nurse absolutely dominating everything in pre-season for him to even get 9 games. Marincin and Klefbom are older and still need to break into the lineup. Nurse hasn't had the World Juniors experience. Those two reasons are enough to send him down.
Ya, I agree. I mean basically what I said, but, He might just come in a dominate camp.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 06:09 PM
  #23
deansthumbs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Halifax NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
He will most certainly play in the NHL this year. He just wont play the whole season

deansthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 08:20 PM
  #24
Mr Positive
just fix it, Chia
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11,467
vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He was never signed.

He's a UFA now.
thanks for the info. I suppose that does make the list suspect.

I still like the list because Nurse is on top. I know we need a center more than we need a LHD, but Nurse is just a different kind of player than Klef and Marincin. Nurse has that top pairing potential.

Draisaitl will be a solid 2C with size for us for many years, but he would likely not challenge RNH for the top spot too.

I also like a sober opinion with Chase. He is a remarkable story for our prospect pool but I think he's got to keep his play up to earn his way in that upper echelon. That's just the handicap that low drafted players have to overcome, and if he's for real then he will overcome it.

By the same principle I'm okay with Klef staying near the top for now even though his play so far hasn't been amazing.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 08:22 PM
  #25
oilz89*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
thanks for the info. I suppose that does make the list suspect.

I still like the list because Nurse is on top. I know we need a center more than we need a LHD, but Nurse is just a different kind of player than Klef and Marincin. Nurse has that top pairing potential.

Draisaitl will be a solid 2C with size for us for many years, but he would likely not challenge RNH for the top spot too.

I also like a sober opinion with Chase. He is a remarkable story for our prospect pool but I think he's got to keep his play up to earn his way in that upper echelon. That's just the handicap that low drafted players have to overcome, and if he's for real then he will overcome it.

By the same principle I'm okay with Klef staying near the top for now even though his play so far hasn't been amazing.
Defensemen take the longest to develop...

oilz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.