HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Justin Schultz's contract negotiations

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2014, 07:04 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

vCash: 50
Who cares about Eberle?

J. Schultz is still poor on the defensive side of the game and needs to be sheltered. He should absolutely get a bridge contract because he still has a lot to prove. He shouldn't get more than 3-3.5 for a minimum of 2 seasons. Although I'm sure I'll prove to be way off. Probably a 5x5

Old
08-17-2014, 07:05 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Jagr has a 123 point 54 point season. So he is > Mackinnon and Im guessing youd rather take him?

Or can you focus on actually recent play, not the glory days of the Sedins that happened a while ago. Sure Eberle will never get 104 points, but Sedin will likely not crack 60 again, and is making 7 million. If your talking about previous seasons justifying a contract, Eberles near ppg season justifies 6m, when people signing 6m contracts havent come close.

Sedin also has 1 win in his last 2 playoffs combined
The irony of you bringing up glory days.

If Eberle puts up a season like I showed of Daniels, then yes he's worth more than his contract. But he won't.

Last 2 seasons he's at a 65 pt average. That's def not near PPG.

And Sedins 1 win in the playoffs is 1 more than Eberle's career high

Old
08-17-2014, 07:05 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The Myers contract was the first one that inflated the RFA market then the Tavares contract was signed.
The Tavares, Seguin and Hall look like bargains now, the Eberle contract looks like fair market value, the Myers contract doesn't look so great now but could pay off since he still has tons of ability and the RNH contract hasn't even kicked in so I don't see how you can say that the Hall contract inflated the market.
It's the UFA market that is grossly inflated.
It was actually the Hemsky one that inflated everything

Old
08-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Bill Waters

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
How do you know Eberle's best days are still ahead of him? He's only had the one good season and his play isn't improving...in fact it's been getting worse. It could well be we've already seen the best of Jordan Eberle.
Soo true, players develop at different rates; hell, look at Kadri, he seems to be a late bloomer. Ebs may well have peaked, even if 65 is a down year.

Old
08-17-2014, 07:06 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kass Effect View Post
Who cares about Eberle?

J. Schultz is still poor on the defensive side of the game and needs to be sheltered. He should absolutely get a bridge contract because he still has a lot to prove. He shouldn't get more than 3-3.5 for a minimum of 2 seasons. Although I'm sure I'll prove to be way off. Probably a 5x5
Ya a short term deal is what makes more sense. He's effective in the O zone but needs to improve his d play drastically.

Old
08-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Roof Daddy

Remember when this was a thread about Justin Schultz? Ah, the good old days.

Old
08-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Remember when this was a thread about Justin Schultz? Ah, the good old days.
I don't see it getting any better either. I mean, this threads already on its third page. It's all downhill from here.

Old
08-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

I could see Schultz and DeKeyser getting similar deals around 5 years $20 million or $22.5 million.

Old
08-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Rpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Wasn't it the Penner contract that ****ed everything up?

Old
08-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Since u guys are obsessed with this.

In his Art Ross trophy winning session, he had 41 goals and 104 pts earning 6.1mil. I love how that season wasn't mentioned

Something Eberle will never achieve.

And Daniel has 5 pts in his last 3 playoff seasons. Eberle has 0.

And Daniels new contract is bad.
Sedin signed his deal when the cap was $56.8M. An equivalent contract last year would be $7M and for this year it would be $7.4M. Ignoring the fact that the cap is rising and that it is expected that it will rise significantly over the next few years takes a lot of the wind out of your argument.

By the midpoint of his previous deal Sedin`s $6.1M deal would have been more than 10% of the cap. With the new CDN tv deal and an aggressive strategy to increase shared revenues the NHL is looking for a cap of $80M+ by the midpoint of Eberle`s deal. This would put him at about 7.5% of the Oilers cap. So conservatively, at the mid point of his deal Eberle would still be at a 25% discount to Sedin in relative dollars.

The Oilers have identified their core and paid them an amount that in a rising cap will be a bargain if they reach there potential. The strategy does not require them to be right on every deal to work well. It is a hedging strategy designed to give them cap space when they likely need it, in 2-3 years. In contrast paying exact market value insures that if your players do succeed you either won`t be able to afford them or you won`t be able to afford to keep the complementary players.

Last edited by Fourier: 08-17-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old
08-17-2014, 07:28 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
The Hemsky contract was a 2 year deal so I don't see how that had any affect on the market.
It's funny that the Oilers sign Hemsky to a similar contract that the Stars just signed him to, bit more dollars less term, yet the Stars were congratulated for signing him and the Oilers are big idiots. I guess those 20 games with the Sens were enough to transform him from worthless to good player.

I'm not usually one to spout off about Oiler hate on the main boards but I've seen in this thread ranging from "Hall's contract inflated the free agent market" to "Schultz doesn't belong in the NHL" to "it could be that Eberle's best days are behind him" and now "Hemsky's contract inflated the free agent market" so it makes me wonder.
I know that the organization is a joke and they deserve all the ridicule that they get but it doesn't mean that all their players are hot garbage.

Edit: Sorry for taking the thread off track. I'll stick to Schultz talk from now on.

Old
08-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
I still remember when the oilers got ripped for giving Hall a long term contract, and now that contract of his is such a bargain.
I also remember when Edmonton gave out those contracts to Eberle an RNH and lost on those...

Old
08-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Rpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I also remember when Edmonton gave out those contracts to Eberle an RNH and lost on those...
Lost? Huh? Eberle is being paid market value currently and the RNH contract hasn't even started yet.

Old
08-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Fourier

Quote:
I don`t think you understand these contracts. They are not two year deals. In RNH`s case the deal is 8 years long and it starts next year. The Oilers are looking at the value of the deal two to three years down the line. What do you expect the cap might be at that time The NHL just announced a $5M per team payment to reflect the new TV deal and more money from the outdoor games than expected. In addition to the new TV money 5% organic growth would push the cap over $75M next year. 8% which is closer to the norm if you exclude the financial crisis pushes it to about $77M.

They don`t need the cap space today or for next year. But they may in two to three years. What does a first line player cost you with a cap over $80M.

Last edited by Fourier: 08-17-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old
08-17-2014, 08:19 PM
cpsman

Quote:
what did they lose? please explain

Old
08-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

The Schultz contract seems to be stalling not because Schultz wants 6 million or something ridiculous like that, but because the two sides can't agree on term.

As for Eberle, he's a proven first liner and has been top 50 in NHL scoring the past 3 seasons, 6 million is fair value for him.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:02 PM
JC Numminen
Global Moderator
The kid is alright!

vCash: 50
Bring it back on topic please everyone.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Asuno

Quote:
Lost on what? Gotta love the typical oilers hate from these sort of posts and others earlier.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:14 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
I could see Schultz and DeKeyser getting similar deals around 5 years $20 million or $22.5 million.
Is Schultz with his poor defensive play, really worth $4m or $4m+?

Old
08-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
What does this thread have to do with Vancouver ?

Neither can have NTCs btw. Perhaps take some of that research advice you're dishing out son
Take a look at the Skinner contract and then get back to me.

Not all NTCs kick in the year its signed.

And Vancouver was brought up because of a pretty obvious bias on your part. Fans of a team that hands out massive front loaded deals and gives out NTCs like candy shouldn't bash another team's contract situations.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Asuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
How do you know Eberle's best days are still ahead of him? He's only had the one good season and his play isn't improving...in fact it's been getting worse. It could well be we've already seen the best of Jordan Eberle.
Apparently that will be his best year, despite the amount of years he's still going to play in the future! Great logic.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:25 PM
aOvechkin8

If the Oilers don't want to pay him, the Red Wings should!

Old
08-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 0
Schultz should sign a 2-year bridge worth 5 mil, and be damned glad to get it. After the fuss he made using that loophole to choose his team of choice, the kid hasn't shown much of anything in the NHL.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:34 PM
jbell886

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Take a look at the Skinner contract and then get back to me.

Not all NTCs kick in the year its signed.

And Vancouver was brought up because of a pretty obvious bias on your part. Fans of a team that hands out massive front loaded deals and gives out NTCs like candy shouldn't bash another team's contract situations.
Ntc and nmc can't kick in until the player reaches his ufa age

Old
08-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The Myers contract was the first one that inflated the RFA market then the Tavares contract was signed.
Did you purposely forget about the 7 year $50m contract the Oilers gave Vanek?

That contract single handedly changed everything for players coming off their entry deals, Lowe's an idiot.

Closed Thread