HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Justin Schultz's contract negotiations

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2014, 08:49 PM
sabresEH

vCash: 500
Eberle was a top 30 point getter and people are conplaining about his contract. Really. He also has 5 more years at 6 million. That's a bargain. Hall for 6 more years and he's already a bargain. RNH hasn't had an off season where he's been fully healthy yet to train. I expect him to have a good year this year and to only get better. People can **** on the Oilers all they want but it's tough to really justify it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The Myers contract was the first one that inflated the RFA market then the Tavares contract was signed.
The Tavares, Seguin and Hall look like bargains now, the Eberle contract looks like fair market value, the Myers contract doesn't look so great now but could pay off since he still has tons of ability and the RNH contract hasn't even kicked in so I don't see how you can say that the Hall contract inflated the market.
It's the UFA market that is grossly inflated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
Wasn't it the Penner contract that ****ed everything up?
Kevin Lowe signing Vanek to the massive offer sheet changed the landscape of everything. Now some teams still do the bridge/earn it deals. Others go for the term with overpayment now but hopefully a bargain later contract.

Last edited by mouser: 08-17-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Qdp
Old
08-17-2014, 08:52 PM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

vCash: 50
My personal opinion is that the Oilers would be better off jettisoning Schultz. He has offensive abilities but his defensive game is beyond bad, he is the modern day Andy Delmore. Perhaps that can improve with age, but I'm not sure he can improve enough.

His AHL numbers were amazing during the lockout but even then when I was watching the Heat play the Barons I never feared him being on the ice because unless it was a powerplay he created as many offensive chances for the Heat as he did the Barons.

It's really too bad that teams are so focused on offensive production, because IMO he is not an NHL calibre defenseman in his own zone. Perhaps the Oilers should look at making him a RW that plays the point on the PP.

Old
08-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell886 View Post
Ntc and nmc can't kick in until the player reaches his ufa age
Yup I know. But Hall and Eberle still don't have that build into their contracts. Other young players do.

Old
08-17-2014, 08:59 PM
supersonic jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack Flames View Post
My personal opinion is that the Oilers would be better off jettisoning Schultz. He has offensive abilities but his defensive game is beyond bad, he is the modern day Andy Delmore. Perhaps that can improve with age, but I'm not sure he can improve enough.

His AHL numbers were amazing during the lockout but even then when I was watching the Heat play the Barons I never feared him being on the ice because unless it was a powerplay he created as many offensive chances for the Heat as he did the Barons.

It's really too bad that teams are so focused on offensive production, because IMO he is not an NHL calibre defenseman in his own zone. Perhaps the Oilers should look at making him a RW that plays the point on the PP.
another young player ruined, unless they decide to play him with someone who can teach as they play, they did improve heir defense so I would take a chance signing him, but shelter him more as he adjusts to pro game.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Asuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic jet View Post
another young player ruined
Oh of course, you comment. Yeah, he's totally "ruined."

Old
08-17-2014, 09:01 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Did you purposely forget about the 7 year $50m contract the Oilers gave Vanek?

That contract single handedly changed everything for players coming off their entry deals, Lowe's an idiot.
The Kiprusoff contract was the one that started the cap circumventing cycle that included the Luongo deal and ended with the Devils getting their hands slapped.

The Flames are worse.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
The Kiprusoff contract was the one that started the cap circumventing cycle that included the Luongo deal and ended with the Devils getting their hands slapped.

The Flames are worse.
What does that have to do with screwing every team on their 2nd contract offers. the cap circumventing for Kipper was for his last year and it's been fixed in the new CBA..bad try dude...Lowe is still an arse.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

might be waiting to see what Ryan Ellis gets, though personally I'd rather have Ellis, in terms of well-rounded game.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Boil in the Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Since u guys are obsessed with this.

In his Art Ross trophy winning session, he had 41 goals and 104 pts earning 6.1mil. I love how that season wasn't mentioned

Something Eberle will never achieve.

And Daniel has 5 pts in his last 3 playoff seasons. Eberle has 0.

And Daniels new contract is bad.
There's no denying how good Daniel was (emphasis on WAS), the comparisons being made here are regarding current performance. Daniel was a great player, but he's in his declining years.

He may never reach Daniels stats but Eberle is just getting started.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:27 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Hall and RNH aren't the same person. Just because one guy bounces back from surgery doesn't mean the other will. Especially when one is built like a 14yr old.
well you do know that RNH missed the first 2 games of the year recovering from surgery and then played the other 80 without injury right? And you know he was rushed back cause with Gagner getting his face smashed in they needed a centre and RNHs numbers in the back half of the season were actually quite solid right? I think this talk that he's not durable and not living up to potential has gotten quite over blown. I think a lot of people will be seeing that this upcoming season.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
another young player ruined, unless they decide to play him with someone who can teach as they play, they did improve heir defense so I would take a chance signing him, but shelter him more as he adjusts to pro game.
The kid did that to himself. He was an entitled little **** who got the management team to guarantee him a spot in the lineup. His head got too big too quickly. Yeah he was rushed but it's not all the Oilers fault. I think if they were smart they'd get honest with the kid. They don't have to kiss his ass anymore. Tell him take the bridge deal or leave it. Play him on bottom pairing and monitor his minutes. He may be best option but what's better for him and the team long term is to round out his game. Too much damage may already be done though.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:53 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Off View Post
The kid did that to himself. He was an entitled little **** who got the management team to guarantee him a spot in the lineup. His head got too big too quickly. Yeah he was rushed but it's not all the Oilers fault. I think if they were smart they'd get honest with the kid. They don't have to kiss his ass anymore. Tell him take the bridge deal or leave it. Play him on bottom pairing and monitor his minutes. He may be best option but what's better for him and the team long term is to round out his game. Too much damage may already be done though.
If the Oilers are just kissing his ass, why is he still unsigned?

Old
08-17-2014, 10:00 PM
jgoud*

Quote:
The irony of you bringing up glory days.

If Eberle puts up a season like I showed of Daniels, then yes he's worth more than his contract. But he won't.

Last 2 seasons he's at a 65 pt average. That's def not near PPG.

And Sedins 1 win in the playoffs is 1 more than Eberle's career high
Why are you talking about playoffs? Does that mean David Booth is better than Eberle too, because he's won a series?

Jagr had some pretty good seasons when he was younger too and I don't think many people would want him on their team over Eberle... The Sedins aren't even close to the players they were 3-5 years ago.

And lol at Eberle being a complementary player. I guess the canucks only have complementary players at best on their roster now since Eberle is being compared to the Sedins

Old
08-18-2014, 02:55 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I also remember when Edmonton gave out those contracts to Eberle an RNH and lost on those...
Typical ignorant let's crap on the Oilers post. Please explain to me how we "lost on those" contracts? RNH starts his next season and will start a season fully healthy and ready to go for the first time since his rookie season. Eberle is a 1st line winger entering the prime of his career.

08-18-2014, 03:02 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Best days ahead of him is simply selling more "hope"
Eberle's level of play should be much more likely to continue over the next 5 seasons than the Sedin's, you can call it hope, I'll just call it what it is, common sense.

Old
08-18-2014, 03:07 AM
Spearmint Rhino

Schultz reminds me of Del Zotto coming into his bridge contract, good offensive skills but lots of question marks on the defensive side of the puck, we know how that went and I'd be surprised if MacT isn't using that to get a 2 year $3MM AAV deal

Old
08-18-2014, 03:16 AM
DespoticNewt

I think he'll eventually get 2 years @ 2.3m per.

Old
08-18-2014, 03:57 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
He thinks he is closer to Subban then Gardiner....... WOW.

He could have spent 1 year in the AHL, half a year more then he did in Edmonton, and then developed on a good team and would have been getting #1 PP time on the highest scoring team in the league. Instead he is with Edmonton. I'm not bitter towards Edmonton or the fans anymore because him leaving probably was the reason we drafted Lindholm, but I'm gonna laugh if he gets a 6 mil+ contract.

Old
08-18-2014, 05:49 AM
supersonic jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post

He could have spent 1 year in the AHL, half a year more then he did in Edmonton, and then developed on a good team and would have been getting #1 PP time on the highest scoring team in the league. Instead he is with Edmonton. I'm not bitter towards Edmonton or the fans anymore because him leaving probably was the reason we drafted Lindholm, but I'm gonna laugh if he gets a 6 mil+ contract.
have no issues with the long term contract. Just with every one of your 1st rd picks starting out in NHL. They should have played one more yr of junior or a yr of AHL. They might have become entitled un-coachable, I hope not for your fan bases sake,but I would break that pattern right now. I hope they prove people wrong, but I guess we will see.

Old
08-18-2014, 07:37 AM
sansabri
au-delà du délai

he's gonna get his money, don't worry.

Old
08-18-2014, 08:21 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post

Laughable. And if he thinks that he must also think he's better than Gardiner is...which he's not.

Old
08-18-2014, 08:41 AM
sansabri
au-delà du délai

um, i'd rather have Schultz than Gardiner.

Old
08-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Rpro
5-14-6-1

Quote:
have no issues with the long term contract. Just with every one of your 1st rd picks starting out in NHL. They should have played one more yr of junior or a yr of AHL. They might have become entitled un-coachable, I hope not for your fan bases sake,but I would break that pattern right now. I hope they prove people wrong, but I guess we will see.
The AHL was not an optiion. It was NHL or back to the junior leagues they already dominated. Name the last first overall forward pick that was sent back to junior? The NHL was the best place for all of them to continue their development. It's not like they were getting 5mins a game on the fourth line, stunting their growth.

Old
08-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
If the Oilers are just kissing his ass, why is he still unsigned?
maybe they got smart and stopped. We'll see.

Old
08-18-2014, 09:23 AM
bernmeister

Rangers interested at the right price, both his # and RFA compensation.
A lot of the luster is off, but there is still room in the middle.

Closed Thread