HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Isles defense

Old
08-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Isles defense

So, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the next move the Isles need to make is on defense. They have addressed their problems in goal, and they seem deep up front with both high potential and vet savvy.

Defense could be OK if the stars align - and by that I mean Reinhart being ready and Vish being healthy. However, I would not want to take that chance. I think the Isles need to add an EXPERIENCED veteran who is solid in his own end. I'd prefer a gritty banger type, but Snow does seem to have an interest in puck moving guys as well.

And, btw, experienced top four guy does not mean a bottom pairing guy on your team who you personally "project" to a higher level on the Isles. We don't need Scuderi, Franson or any of the other bottom pairing guys constantly offered up around here. The Isles have solid depth in 5 - 8 defenders, that's not what we need at this point.

This thread is on the main board, instead of the Isles board, knowing that it will lead to silly trade proposals. But, what the heck? Its the summer, and lets all have a little fun.

I am not going to make all sorts of rules for this discussion, that everybody will promptly ignore. Realistically though, the Isles core veterans (Hamonic, JT, Okposo) and best young assets (Nelson, Strome, Reinhart, MDC) are not going anywhere. I'm not saying leave those guys out of every proposal - I'm just saying that proposals involving those guys are not workable and will just be about the fun of the board (which is OK).

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 11:58 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Why not give Tomas Kaberle a shot on a PTO? You never know...

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:02 PM
iFishyHD
#KesselWatch DONE

vCash: 595
Something around Despres? I wouldn't trade him for cheap, but he is currently a top 6 defenseman, and has all the tools to be a solid second pairing guy. Probably will get top 4 time due to Maatta's injury.

iFishyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:12 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
So, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the next move the Isles need to make is on defense. They have addressed their problems in goal, and they seem deep up front with both high potential and vet savvy.

Defense could be OK if the stars align - and by that I mean Reinhart being ready and Vish being healthy. However, I would not want to take that chance. I think the Isles need to add an EXPERIENCED veteran who is solid in his own end. I'd prefer a gritty banger type, but Snow does seem to have an interest in puck moving guys as well.

And, btw, experienced top four guy does not mean a bottom pairing guy on your team who you personally "project" to a higher level on the Isles. We don't need Scuderi, Franson or any of the other bottom pairing guys constantly offered up around here. The Isles have solid depth in 5 - 8 defenders, that's not what we need at this point.

This thread is on the main board, instead of the Isles board, knowing that it will lead to silly trade proposals. But, what the heck? Its the summer, and lets all have a little fun.

I am not going to make all sorts of rules for this discussion, that everybody will promptly ignore. Realistically though, the Isles core veterans (Hamonic, JT, Okposo) and best young assets (Nelson, Strome, Reinhart, MDC) are not going anywhere. I'm not saying leave those guys out of every proposal - I'm just saying that proposals involving those guys are not workable and will just be about the fun of the board (which is OK).
Darth any interest in A martinez i know he isn't really a top 4 as of yet. I feel he could do it just stuck behind better players (slava and drew) I feel hes ready for more of opportunity and I don't see Sutter ready to let him try. Sutter looks for oportunitys to cut his ice time I honestly don't know why. With him being a ufa at the end of the season I think he may become available. The Kings would proberly need a month or two to see if McNabb can replace him first however. If yes we would probably need a 2nd and a young cheap defenseman to replace him in our bottom 6

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:17 PM
KrisLetAngry
#teamKanye

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFishyHD View Post
Something around Despres? I wouldn't trade him for cheap, but he is currently a top 6 defenseman, and has all the tools to be a solid second pairing guy. Probably will get top 4 time due to Maatta's injury.
It could work but parting with Depres I want an NHL ready forward and I know they have plenty of young ones ready

KrisLetAngry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

I think you'll have a hard time acquiring an established top 4 defenseman if your quality assets are off the table, at least until the deadline.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:22 PM
hawksrule
Odd Little Poster

Oduya isn't the sexiest name out there, but he's a good player, a legit #4, and could be traded for a reasonable price. If interested, what's your offer?

hawksrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:26 PM
ForeverFlameFan
Go Flames Go!

Our of curiosity, what kind of defenseman do you really need? DFD? A PMD? OFD? Two way defenseman?

ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:30 PM
KrisLetAngry
#teamKanye

Once Maatta is back from injury, Scuderi for a 6th

Old
08-19-2014, 12:32 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1152
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithere View Post
Once Maatta is back from injury, Scuderi for a 6th
Of course this was posted.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:33 PM
boredmale

Not sure if the leafs are trading him but Phaneuf make the most sense.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:43 PM
KrisLetAngry
#teamKanye

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Of course this was posted.
I'm sorry. But I'm still going to post it. He isn't bad and for a sixth he isn't that bad

Old
08-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithere View Post
I'm sorry. But I'm still going to post it. He isn't bad and for a sixth he isn't that bad
Yes he is that bad. He's a cap dump. Nobody wants him.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Roof Daddy

The only problem is finding a dance partner. How many teams are really looking to subtract from their top 4? Let alone at the start of the season?

If Phoenix struggles, maybe by the 40 game mark Yandle becomes available? I would think it would be a steep price, plus the Isles don't have a first.

If you consider Byfuglien a D man, possibly him, but the Jets would definitely want someone that helps them now.

For the right price, maybe the Sabres flip Gorges, but I would think they acquired him to help mentor their young D.

Mike Green? But I doubt Washington would willingly help a division rival they may be battling with for a wild card spot.

Nick Leddy? Not sure he's even available, and in theory doesn't fit your criteria because he's a number 5 on the Hawks, but let's face it, he's a top 4 on half the teams in the league.

I doubt there's much available. Teams are almost always looking to add D, not subtract.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yes he is that bad. He's a cap dump. Nobody wants him.
I think Scuderi's going to surprise a few people this season. He was the go-to shutdown defenseman for the Kings in the 2013 playoffs, then he got injured last year and never recovered.

I don't expect anyone to bank on that with a trade now at his age and cap hit, but I figure he's going to re-establish himself as a solid defensive defenseman before the year's over.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
As was stated earlier Alec Martinez could be the odd man out in Los Angeles, depending on how McNabb does. Maybe Regehr if Kings management decides to go with the youth.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

Quote:
Who is left that will bring in a top four veteran blueliner? I'm not meaning this sarcastically, either. But if those are all off the table, what do the Isles have to offer that can land a top four guy?

Glancing quickly at your roster, the closest value asset I can see that you didn't list is Nielsen. But I'm not sure a team will trade a top four defender for him. He's the closest thing, though. Grabner? Bailey? Clutterbuck? I don't think they have the kind of value around the league to bring in a legitimate top four guy.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
The only problem is finding a dance partner. How many teams are really looking to subtract from their top 4? Let alone at the start of the season?

If Phoenix struggles, maybe by the 40 game mark Yandle becomes available? I would think it would be a steep price, plus the Isles don't have a first.

If you consider Byfuglien a D man, possibly him, but the Jets would definitely want someone that helps them now.

For the right price, maybe the Sabres flip Gorges, but I would think they acquired him to help mentor their young D.

Mike Green? But I doubt Washington would willingly help a division rival they may be battling with for a wild card spot.

Nick Leddy? Not sure he's even available, and in theory doesn't fit your criteria because he's a number 5 on the Hawks, but let's face it, he's a top 4 on half the teams in the league.

I doubt there's much available. Teams are almost always looking to add D, not subtract.
This.

No team is wanting to trade a top 4 defenseman unless they're in a cap jam. Boychuck and Oduya are IMO, the only two realistic options unless you're willing to take a bottom pairing guy with top 4 potential.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:18 PM
rcduthie77

Matt Bartkowski or Adam McQuaid could be trade targets from the Bruins.

Bartkowski showed some upside last year and logged pretty good minutes after Seidenberg went down.

McQuaid is what he is, a gritty, tough, 3rd pairing defenceman that can play 17-18mins a night, PK and hit like a freight train.

Bruins will eventually have to move at least one member of a crowded blueline.

Chara - Hamilton
Boychuk - Seidenberg
McQuaid - Krug
Bartkowski - Miller
Warsofsky - Morrow

Too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak.

rcduthie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:35 PM
KrisBeKreame

I think Matinez could work out well for the Islanders. Would you take Donovon and FLA 3rd in 2015?

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcduthie77 View Post
Matt Bartkowski or Adam McQuaid could be trade targets from the Bruins.

Bartkowski showed some upside last year and logged pretty good minutes after Seidenberg went down.

McQuaid is what he is, a gritty, tough, 3rd pairing defenceman that can play 17-18mins a night, PK and hit like a freight train.

Bruins will eventually have to move at least one member of a crowded blueline.

Chara - Hamilton
Boychuk - Seidenberg
McQuaid - Krug
Bartkowski - Miller
Warsofsky - Morrow

Too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak.
As an Isles fan, this is EXACTLY the guy I'd target.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:40 PM
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...

Jakub Kindl from Detroit for a 6th?

Or Maybe one of Grossman/Schenn from Philly?

vannzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I think you'll have a hard time acquiring an established top 4 defenseman if your quality assets are off the table, at least until the deadline.

Who said all our quality assets were off the table? I listed guys who obviously won't be moved. That's not really my call, its pretty obvious that Snow won't deal those guys. Still, I did not exclude some relatively high end prospects (like Pokka and Pulock) or valuable vet forward (like Frans Nielsen).

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:48 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
As an Isles fan, this is EXACTLY the guy I'd target.
Agreed, I think he'd be a great fit.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 01:48 PM
AHB*

Should have signed MDZ.

AHB* is offline   Reply With Quote