HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles defense

Old
08-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB View Post
Again, I said listing 7 untouchables was asinine. YOu don't like my vocabulary? Ok, listing 7 untouchables is "unrealistic." Is that better?.

Show me where I used the word "untouchable." That is part of what I mean by you distorting arguments. What I said was that I didn't see Snow moving those guys in a realistic deal. I was very clear above that I didn't see any of those guys as truly untouchable in the sense that they could get dealt for the right player.

Quote:
I'm not getting into a pissing war about this. I'm here to talk hockey and not whine back and forth. I'll stop posting in here since clearly a differing opinion can't be handled.?.

Once again, please calm down. I've simply asked you to stop making "creative reinterpretations" of what I wrote and stop with the personal insults. Disagree all you want.

And, you are in fact, welcome in any thread I start - anytime.

Quote:
A few others have posted along the lines of my thoughts and all of us have been responded to in critical terms.

I'm not sure that others saw me as asking for a "leader" who "eats tons of minutes..."

08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
Still don't see a trade coming. There are way too many teams looking for top 4 defenseman, the price is too high. I bet the defense is going to be much better this year with the addition of 20yo Reinhart.

I mostly agree with you. I think a deal is a longshot. Mostly started this thread for a little fun conversation.

But, I definitely agree that there are way to many teams looking for what we need to make a deal easily doable.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 03:42 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
Still don't see a trade coming. There are way too many teams looking for top 4 defenseman, the price is too high. I bet the defense is going to be much better this year with the addition of 20yo Reinhart.
It would not surprise me, if the isles opened the season without adding a top 4 vet.

As we get closer to camp, we could see the isles extend a camp invite to a vet like Derek Morris.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 03:45 PM
FerrisRox

Not really the answer to the specific questions, but I think the Islanders should offer Jamie McBain a one-year deal at $650,00 or a training camp try-out.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Not really the answer to the specific questions, but I think the Islanders should offer Jamie McBain a one-year deal at $650,00 or a training camp try-out.

Very consistent with what the Isles have done in the past, so a reasonable suggestion. Still, the Isles do have tons of bottom pairing guys.

My feeling is that Hickey/Czuzman/Carkner is a decent bottom group. I'm comfy with Hamonic and de Haan in the top four. I'm even OK with projecting Reinhart forward. I'm less comfortable with Vish's health.

I would love to see a Georges type to mentor Reinhart.

Old
08-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
A guy like Willie Mitchell would have been a good free agent target. Good stay at home defender capable of playing tough minutes, and without breaking the bank.

He signed with Florida, so I don't think destination was all that important to him (unless he sees this as his retirement deal and already lives down there or something). It would be interesting to see if Snow even targeted a guy like him.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 04:33 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Works for me! I think we'd have to give up something better though.
You sir are very correct as usual. It would start with at least a 2nd and a decent 5 6 young two way on a cheap contract. Lets not forget Alec did out score drew and slava in less mins and games. Alec would be a good fit young and up coming defense man ready for more mins.

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
A guy like Willie Mitchell would have been a good free agent target. Good stay at home defender capable of playing tough minutes, and without breaking the bank.

He signed with Florida, so I don't think destination was all that important to him (unless he sees this as his retirement deal and already lives down there or something). It would be interesting to see if Snow even targeted a guy like him.

I agree with you. Snow seems really focused on small puck moving types though, but I think Mitchell would have been a fit. A gritty graybeard who could mentor Reinhart.

Old
08-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
You sir are very correct as usual. It would start with at least a 2nd and a decent 5 6 young two way on a cheap contract. Lets not forget Alec did out score drew and slava in less mins and games. Alec would be a good fit young and up coming defense man ready for more mins.

We don't have any picks to trade, sadly.

Old
08-19-2014, 04:54 PM
ForeverFlameFan
HF/CP Middleman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Our of curiosity, what kind of defenseman do you really need? DFD? A PMD? OFD? Two way defenseman?
Just asking this again, because I think I missed your answer somewhere. I'm blind today.

ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 04:57 PM
TSchillz
Wang Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Just asking this again, because I think I missed your answer somewhere. I'm blind today.
Prefferably a stay at home dman who has nhl experience. Teach the young guns and not let people in easy or turnover the puck *cough* AMAC

TSchillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...

I wonder what the Islanders would need to add to a HFBoards favorite trade of Josh Bailey to Edmonton for Petry.

I think its obvious that they would need to add but how much?

vannzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ForeverFlameFan
HF/CP Middleman

What about Smid? Since it's a fun thread, Smid is a 4/5 defenseman, probably would be a good #4 on your team.

Old
08-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannzee View Post
I wonder what the Islanders would need to add to a HFBoards favorite trade of Josh Bailey to Edmonton for Petry.

I think its obvious that they would need to add but how much?

Sadly, I don't see a basis for a deal there. I don't think EDM would want Bailey at all. He is ineffective at center ice, which is their main position of need.

Petry would be just what the doctor ordered though.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 08-19-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old
08-19-2014, 05:07 PM
boredmale

Nobody seemed to comment on my Phaneuf suggestion. Islanders have the capspace, constant rumors of Leafs wanting to trade him(although that can just be Toronto media) and I think the Islanders could trade a couple good(but not great) assets to get him

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Nobody seemed to comment on my Phaneuf suggestion. Islanders have the capspace, constant rumors of Leafs wanting to trade him(although that can just be Toronto media) and I think the Islanders could trade a couple good(but not great) assets to get him

Seems like the kind of homerun deal I just don't see Snow making. I think a modest deal at the level of Oduya (although I do not like that player) is more likely.

I also don't personally believe Leafs will move Phaneuf. Nor do I see him within conference.

Old
08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
superduperleaffan

Quote:
So, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the next move the Isles need to make is on defense. They have addressed their problems in goal, and they seem deep up front with both high potential and vet savvy.

Defense could be OK if the stars align - and by that I mean Reinhart being ready and Vish being healthy. However, I would not want to take that chance. I think the Isles need to add an EXPERIENCED veteran who is solid in his own end. I'd prefer a gritty banger type, but Snow does seem to have an interest in puck moving guys as well.

And, btw, experienced top four guy does not mean a bottom pairing guy on your team who you personally "project" to a higher level on the Isles. We don't need Scuderi, Franson or any of the other bottom pairing guys constantly offered up around here. The Isles have solid depth in 5 - 8 defenders, that's not what we need at this point.

This thread is on the main board, instead of the Isles board, knowing that it will lead to silly trade proposals. But, what the heck? Its the summer, and lets all have a little fun.

I am not going to make all sorts of rules for this discussion, that everybody will promptly ignore. Realistically though, the Isles core veterans (Hamonic, JT, Okposo) and best young assets (Nelson, Strome, Reinhart, MDC) are not going anywhere. I'm not saying leave those guys out of every proposal - I'm just saying that proposals involving those guys are not workable and will just be about the fun of the board (which is OK).
I have to say Darth, this is the best proposal i have read on here.
What about Dion Phaneuf? I know he gets alot of the blame for the Leafs woes and he's not a true #1dman but he's at least a 2/3 guy.

With out using any of NYI core pieces will be hard and if a deal for Phaneuf is done NYI will win by getting the all around NHL player but Toronto would get futures and bottom 6 pieces if Hamonic, JT, Okposo, Strome, Reinhart, MDC are not allowed to be included.

What about Pulok, Hickey and Clutterbuck for Phaneuf

superduperleaffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperleaffan View Post
I have to say Darth, this is the best proposal i have read on here.
What about Dion Phaneuf? I know he gets alot of the blame for the Leafs woes and he's not a true #1dman but he's at least a 2/3 guy.

With out using any of NYI core pieces will be hard and if a deal for Phaneuf is done NYI will win by getting the all around NHL player but Toronto would get futures and bottom 6 pieces if Hamonic, JT, Okposo, Strome, Reinhart, MDC are not allowed to be included.

What about Pulok, Hickey and Clutterbuck for Phaneuf

I don't think Toronto is moving Phaneuf, and don't believe the Isles are looking for a homerun deal of that nature.And, I certainly don't believe a guy like Pulock would come close to being enough for a guy at that level.

Realistically, assets like MDC, Strome, Reinhart would have to be in the discussion if Phaneuf were on the table. And, I doubt Snow would part with those guys.

So, I don't see a deal there.

Old
08-19-2014, 05:26 PM
JZCislesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFishyHD View Post
Something around Despres? I wouldn't trade him for cheap, but he is currently a top 6 defenseman, and has all the tools to be a solid second pairing guy. Probably will get top 4 time due to Maatta's injury.
Josh Bailey, Michael Grabner? Maybe just maybe for Anders Lee? What is he worth?

JZCislesHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 05:28 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
We don't have any picks to trade, sadly.
the picks can be in 16 or 17 even I don't see the kings in a hurry for the pick to be honest.

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 05:31 PM
superduperleaffan

Quote:
Seems like the kind of homerun deal I just don't see Snow making. I think a modest deal at the level of Oduya (although I do not like that player) is more likely.

I also don't personally believe Leafs will move Phaneuf. Nor do I see him within conference.
I wouldn't say the Leafs wouldn't move Phaneuf because that depends on how well Franson, Gardnier, and Rielly play, I'd also consider how Percy and Granberg develop this season but I agree the leafs would rather trade him to the west.

As for Snow not not making a home run, He's due for all the stuff he gave away for free to other teams to land a corner piece. Atleast with Phaneuf he's under contact and won't jump ship like Boyle and Vanek did.

NYI IMO has the best all around prospect pool as well as young NHL roster players in the league. The issue WAS goaltending, experience but still is Wang and Snow. Get rid of those two buffoons and and this team will be a force. Its a shame you guys didn't make a big enough bid for Trotz as well. He's the perfect type of coach for this team!

Old
08-19-2014, 05:44 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
the picks can be in 16 or 17 even I don't see the kings in a hurry for the pick to be honest.
I could see the Islanders willing to part with a 2016 2nd or 2015 3rd plus Brian Strait

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 05:49 PM
superduperleaffan

Quote:
I don't think Toronto is moving Phaneuf, and don't believe the Isles are looking for a homerun deal of that nature.And, I certainly don't believe a guy like Pulock would come close to being enough for a guy at that level.

Realistically, assets like MDC, Strome, Reinhart would have to be in the discussion if Phaneuf were on the table. And, I doubt Snow would part with those guys.

So, I don't see a deal there.
I agree, I was just trying to follow the rules of the thread and know NHI has no 1st rounder and Pulok was the best I could come up with on short notice but since you brought it up, IF and thats a BIG IF Snow was willing to include a core piece to get Phaneuf, which one do you think he'll part with? Reinhart, Tavares, Okposo are no brainers and MDC is being groomed to be the LW NYI has been looking for. I think if a center was going the other way with Phaneuf for Strome there may be value there for both teams.

Bozak, Holland, Phaneuf for Strome, Clutterbuck or Hickey

Old
08-19-2014, 05:56 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
So, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the next move the Isles need to make is on defense.....I think the Isles need to add an EXPERIENCED veteran who is solid in his own end. I'd prefer a gritty banger type, but Snow does seem to have an interest in puck moving guys as well...experienced top four guy does not mean a bottom pairing guy on your team who you personally "project" to a higher level on the Isles.
Top4 guys are in high demand and short supply. No team wants to give them up, many need an extra one and most are over paying to get what they can. Stralman, Orpik, Niskanen all got huge deals. Even the 35 year old Markov who has knee issues, in an NHL that's getting younger and faster, was signed to a 3 year deal worth more than 17m. This short supply is something that Philly recognized when they traded for a defensive, grittier top4 blueliner.

What the Isles need is an owner who can stop screwing the franchise with his puppet GM and instead one who lets a skillful GM move forward with a coherent vision.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 05:59 PM
ForeverFlameFan
HF/CP Middleman

Smid?