HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2014, 11:00 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Kovalev is on the ice today, too

Bring on NEDVED!

EDIT - Linkage https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/506833207804067840

Old
09-02-2014, 11:13 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

He looks great in the practice uniform.

Old
09-02-2014, 11:13 AM
azaloum90

I wonder how McIlrath will look in camp this year...

I'm wondering if the eventual plan is to have Klein replace Girardi, and McIlrath take Klein's spot...

I mean it makes sense. Klein is only 29, and has a solid contract about as long as McD's at the moment. Dan Boyle is a Stopgap for whoever can come take the 2/3RHD spot.

McIlrath is most likely the 2/3RHD replacement, so we'd only need a 3rd RHD pairing guy...

Talk about cap savings.

Last edited by azaloum90: 09-02-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old
09-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post

I'm wondering if the eventual plan is to have Klein replace Girardi, and McIlrath take Klein's spot...

Talk about cap savings.
Well that idea gives me one hell of a nervous tick...

Nah, more likely they'll be looking for someone to sign/draft/whatever to replace Girardi when they feel like he's declining. The thing about Girardi is that even though his game isn't anything special in terms of offense or moving the puck, he can play a bunch of minutes and his game remains consistent, which is why he has been holding down that top RD spot for several years now (besides not having a better RD that is). In many ways that can be the difference between a guy who's a good 2nd pairing defenseman and a guy who is a top pairing guys...being able to play the minutes without letting it significantly impact your overall performance. I'd expect Klein or even someone like Stralman to have a noticeable dip in their play if they were expected to play the minutes that Girardi does.

Old
09-02-2014, 11:22 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well that idea gives me one hell of a nervous tick...

Nah, more likely they'll be looking for someone to sign/draft/whatever to replace Girardi when they feel like he's declining. The thing about Girardi is that even though his game isn't anything special in terms of offense or moving the puck, he can play a bunch of minutes and his game remains consistent, which is why he has been holding down that top RD spot for several years now (besides not having a better RD that is). In many ways that can be the difference between a guy who's a good 2nd pairing defenseman and a guy who is a top pairing guys...being able to play the minutes without letting it significantly impact your overall performance. I'd expect Klein or even someone like Stralman to have a noticeable dip in their play if they were expected to play the minutes that Girardi does.
This is true... There's nobody who really does what Girardi does.. Not great at anything, but good at everything at the same time...

I just cant see Klein declining any time soon. i guess it's a good contingency plan in the event that Girardi declines faster than they expected. it's a front loaded contract so he can be sent to a low $ team later in the future if required.

Old
09-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Levitate

Yeah I'm interested to see how Klein does with a full season under AV to be honest...he seemed to be more aggressively rushing the puck and more active as time wore on. Playing under AV might change his game up a bit and make him more useful.

i'm alright with having him as a 2nd pair D at the moment I guess

Old
09-02-2014, 12:13 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah I'm interested to see how Klein does with a full season under AV to be honest...he seemed to be more aggressively rushing the puck and more active as time wore on. Playing under AV might change his game up a bit and make him more useful.

i'm alright with having him as a 2nd pair D at the moment I guess
I think he can adequately replace Stralman, regardless of his #fancystats... Klein came in mid-season, so I believe a full training camp and full season could make him look even better than he did this past playoffs, where he was by far one of the most consistent Dmen...

If he performs and is able to take a #2 spot, allowing Boyle sheltered Defense time + PP time, it's a HUGE win in terms of ice time per game on the D corps. If he proves he's capable of #1 time, that makes Girardi somewhat dispensible, but now i'm getting a little unrealistic.

furthermore, if McIlrath proves he's an eventual Girardi replacement, that ALSO renders Girardi moveable... but again, I might be dreaming here. It's more realistic that McIlrath can take Klein's spot, which allows Klein to take Boyle/Girardi's spot, eventually forcing one of those 2 (most likely Girardi) to be traded. But most of this is to be proven this coming season.

I'm not advocating moving Girardi immediately. Only if the farm replacements are adequate, since it would cost more to sign a #1RHD than it would to just keep Girardi altogether.

Old
09-02-2014, 12:17 PM
truenewyorker
Attack On Chara

Quote:

I mean it makes sense. Klein is only 29, and has a solid contract about as long as McD's at the moment. Dan Boyle is a Stopgap for whoever can come take the 2/3RHD spot.

McIlrath is most likely the 2/3RHD replacement, so we'd only need a 3rd RHD pairing guy...

Talk about cap savings.
Seeing how they JUST signed Girardi to a big, new contract that includes an NMC, I don't see how anybody could reasonably think that that is the plan...

Old
09-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Fletch

Quote:
I think he can adequately replace Stralman, regardless of his #fancystats... Klein came in mid-season, so I believe a full training camp and full season could make him look even better than he did this past playoffs, where he was by far one of the most consistent Dmen...

If he performs and is able to take a #2 spot, allowing Boyle sheltered Defense time + PP time, it's a HUGE win in terms of ice time per game on the D corps. If he proves he's capable of #1 time, that makes Girardi somewhat dispensible, but now i'm getting a little unrealistic.

furthermore, if McIlrath proves he's an eventual Girardi replacement, that ALSO renders Girardi moveable... but again, I might be dreaming here. It's more realistic that McIlrath can take Klein's spot, which allows Klein to take Boyle/Girardi's spot, eventually forcing one of those 2 (most likely Girardi) to be traded. But most of this is to be proven this coming season.

I'm not advocating moving Girardi immediately. Only if the farm replacements are adequate, since it would cost more to sign a #1RHD than it would to just keep Girardi altogether.
Until Boyle falters, i would pencil him in for about 20 minutes of ice time per night. He averaged a bit more than that last season and was feeling the effects of a concussion which slowed him down, so there's no reason to suspect he won't be out there that much. And it's not all about defense, it's about moving the puck up the ice and also creating offensive opportunities. Klein is nice, but I would guess he'll still be on a third pair getting about 16-17 minutes of ice time per game (an increase over last season due to extra PK time; but perhaps decreased a bit to give Boyle extra ES time at his expense). Klein will get his PK time, and we will see how Klein responds because his PK time wasn't robust last season. Does that wear him down or does he thrive with the extra time? Hopefully he can handle the extra two minutes of PK time per game.

Old
09-02-2014, 12:29 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Until Boyle falters, i would pencil him in for about 20 minutes of ice time per night. He averaged a bit more than that last season and was feeling the effects of a concussion which slowed him down, so there's no reason to suspect he won't be out there that much. And it's not all about defense, it's about moving the puck up the ice and also creating offensive opportunities. Klein is nice, but I would guess he'll still be on a third pair getting about 16-17 minutes of ice time per game (an increase over last season due to extra PK time; but perhaps decreased a bit to give Boyle extra ES time at his expense). Klein will get his PK time, and we will see how Klein responds because his PK time wasn't robust last season. Does that wear him down or does he thrive with the extra time? Hopefully he can handle the extra two minutes of PK time per game.
I think the sheltered time for Boyle vs Klein would allow AV to put him in more ideal situations since he'll never run into a point where he is gassed.

Either way it's a win.. I'm not saying the way everything has been thought through right now won't work. I like the D corps as it is. I'm wary about Staal's extension, it's going to work out. We have some solid D depth in the system.

Old
09-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Fletch

Quote:
I think the sheltered time for Boyle vs Klein would allow AV to put him in more ideal situations since he'll never run into a point where he is gassed.

Either way it's a win.. I'm not saying the way everything has been thought through right now won't work. I like the D corps as it is. I'm wary about Staal's extension, it's going to work out. We have some solid D depth in the system.
I'm just saying not to expect sheltered time for Boyle. They let Stralman, a 20 minute TOI/g guy, walk and signed Boyle, a $4.5MM/year, 21 minute TOI/g guy, not to shelter his minutes but to ride him unless he's hurt or doesn't look good out there. Klein was the guy with sheltered minutes last season, and even moreso in the postseason during which he averaged about 13 minutes TOI/g. Think I'm more worried about him potentially getting 1-2 minutes more ice time, on the PK replacing Stralman, than Boyle running out of gas.

Old
09-02-2014, 01:37 PM
RGF

when is j moore signing?

Old
09-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Ola

Bern- Good post! Now I understand your view better.

From my point of view, the upgrade I see on the horizon is getting more size on the wing. Hayes could bring some, that alone is probably not enough though.

After that, we "must" replace Dan Boyle on the blueline. In the near future we will need a new RH PPQB. He only have 2 years left. If that...

Then the Staal situation mus he handled. That could bring something.

Old
09-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGF View Post
when is j moore signing?
Whenever he decides to sign the offer that Sather has out there. The offer won't get better, RFA, hes got no leverage.

He can play for the offer or sit and earn nothing.

Old
09-02-2014, 04:11 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Whenever he decides to sign the offer that Sather has out there. The offer won't get better, RFA, hes got no leverage.

He can play for the offer or sit and earn nothing.
add to that that Connor Allen looked very solid last season and that McIlrath has a chance at being #6 ... yeah, Moore (who I like very much for his skillset) better sign anything he can get from Sather.

Old
09-02-2014, 04:33 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Bern- Good post! Now I understand your view better.

From my point of view, the upgrade I see on the horizon is getting more size on the wing. Hayes could bring some, that alone is probably not enough though.

After that, we "must" replace Dan Boyle on the blueline. In the near future we will need a new RH PPQB. He only have 2 years left. If that...

Then the Staal situation mus he handled. That could bring something.
Thanks Ola.

A lot depends on if Hayes can cut it at C.
Yeah, something more on the W, cause while Nash is not a creampuff, he's not another Kreider and is more flash and dash despite his size. But I'm pulling for Hayes in the pivot, cause that is where we are overmatched.

Think of a guy like Hayes like MAYBE, he can be a lesser version of Jan Erixon. He can shutdown, in such scenario, Getzlaf, etc., allowing us to win other matchups.

MSL is small, but he is still productive, and if Stamkos might think about coming here year after next, don't want his friend/fave RW shown the door unless the guy suddenly, totally, falls apart.

Once MSL goes, we will get bigger with guys like Haggerty.
Truth be told though, MSL is not hurting us on strength, he is only somewhat deficient on reach.

I'm with you on Boyle.
However, we ARE married to him, better or worse, for the next 2 years.

Boyle is another reason why I push to move Girardi (almost can't move, gotta consider one or two places where there may be a good enough offer).

Staal same way, but I think Staal has much more in the tank.
Girardi for savings would give us more $$ for Staal extension. He's worth more w/extended short term contract than 1 year rental.

Whichever way we go, let's set up to optimize it.

Old
09-02-2014, 05:19 PM
OnlyRevolutions

I'm not really worried about Boyle's contract. Even if he declines, he could always be a 3rd-pairing guy who can contribute to the PP. McIlrath is, for better or worse, our future RD. We do need another RD, preferably a shooting one, for sure, but McIlrath is who we have right now. What's the future of our Defense? Tough to say--things can change quickly on NHL teams as we've seen, but I'd be looking for an offensive/defensive balance. In time, we might see:

McD - Girardi/Klein
Skjei - McIlrath
Moore/Allen - Boyle/Zamorsky/Mantha

Graves, Walcott, Donnay, Bodie, Nanne could also be in the mix in time.

If Skjei/McI could became a McD-G-esque pairing, that'd be a nice setup.

We have plenty of guys with potential, but right now, we just need to keep things steady until the next guys can be integrated and/or grow to their potential. I'd consider moving Staal, but I wouldn't do it until closer to the deadline because we just don't have a solid replacement, and I don't want to weaken one of our strengths.

I'm glad we have McD locked up for a while.

Old
09-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Lindberg Cheese

The problem on RD looking ahead is that we don't really have a staggered and obvious replacement plan. Girardi's much ballyhoo'd decline, Boyle and Klein contract expirations all happen about a year apart. Best case in 3 years is that we keep a diminished Girardi on 2nd pairing, Mc on 3rd. Who's on first? Most of our D prospects either are better playing on the left or don't rate as 1st pairing guys. I guess that's what FA is about.

Old
09-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Decided to look over the new rules. This is gonna get people ****ing MAD if it's ever called:

"Teams that ice the puck can only use one center to make the ensuring faceoff. If that player attempts to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy his team time, he’ll get a two-minute delay-of-game penalty."

"No ref, Stepan didn't try to get kicked out of the faceoff! He knows the damn rule... He's just bad at faceoffs!!!!"

09-02-2014, 07:02 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Glass View Post
Decided to look over the new rules. This is gonna get people ****ing MAD if it's ever called:

"Teams that ice the puck can only use one center to make the ensuring faceoff. If that player attempts to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy his team time, he’ll get a two-minute delay-of-game penalty."

"No ref, Stepan didn't try to get kicked out of the faceoff! He knows the damn rule... He's just bad at faceoffs!!!!"
What the CBA needed was more discretion-based, grey area rules/penalties/calls.

Old
09-02-2014, 09:08 PM
SA16
Two by two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Glass View Post

This is the best rule addition and was absolutely necessary.

Old
09-02-2014, 09:21 PM
OnlyRevolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
The problem on RD looking ahead is that we don't really have a staggered and obvious replacement plan. Girardi's much ballyhoo'd decline, Boyle and Klein contract expirations all happen about a year apart. Best case in 3 years is that we keep a diminished Girardi on 2nd pairing, Mc on 3rd. Who's on first? Most of our D prospects either are better playing on the left or don't rate as 1st pairing guys. I guess that's what FA is about.
I'm waiting for this season before I worry. Girardi is only 30 years old, and anyone can have a bad stretch. Klein will be 30. These guys are still very much serviceable and should continue to be so for at least the next 4 years. Whether or not on the first pairing--well, we'll figure that out. Even if skills decline, you can't teach hockey IQ, and these guys are pros and will adjust.

There's FA, there's drafting. Right now, I'm not worried.

Old
09-03-2014, 01:53 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
Agreed, Boyle got that spot for the coming 2 years (probably not for a shorter or longer time, but you never know, Näslund retired early for example). But after Boyle leaves we need to replace him. Its one of the most important positions in the game (being the PPQB, strategist from the back end etc), and we have had a hole there for too long.

Its on that horizon that we need to be able to fill that spot again.

Old
09-03-2014, 06:06 AM
2Big2Strong2Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
This is the best rule addition and was absolutely necessary.
No, it would have been better for the refs to be willing to chase the second guy.

Old
09-03-2014, 07:11 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Kovalev is on the ice today, too

Bring on NEDVED!

EDIT - Linkage https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/506833207804067840
Still better than Glass!