HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Dactyl*
stats are pure CRAP

vCash: 500
Kreider-Boyle-Miller line was too good

Old
08-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Glass View Post
Y'all seemed to love Callahan for blocking 1 Chara shot

Here's Glass blocking 3 Weber shots. Now love him.

Nerd Stats indicate that he plays his best hockey without the puck on his stick.

That highlight takes it a step further and shows he plays his best hockey without a stick altogether.

Old
08-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
A friend of mine suggested trying John Moore as a forward. Not sure what to think. He's fast, has size, good shot. Thoughts?

Old
08-24-2014, 11:32 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Nerd Stats indicate that he plays his best hockey without the puck on his stick.

That highlight takes it a step further and shows he plays his best hockey without a stick altogether.
Considering individual players don't have the puck on their stick all that much, that isn't neccesarily a bad thing. Playing without the puck is how most of the game is played.

No one should be expecting a player like Glass to be a world beater with the puck. Guys who can hit, block shots, kill penalties, work the boards, and forecheck have value. It's unrealistic to expect a full roster of 18 dressed skaters to "dangle", shoot 50 times per game, and thread pin point passes, all in the name of Corsi.

Glass may not be a great player, and I hated the term and annual cap hit, but he does possess qualities that can contribute on the ice if deployed properly and if he can settle into a niche role.

Old
08-24-2014, 11:39 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Teflon Sather View Post
A friend of mine suggested trying John Moore as a forward. Not sure what to think. He's fast, has size, good shot. Thoughts?
Interesting, but it won't happen. He's still young and improving. He is a good 3rd pair defenseman with potential to be more.

Defense is the hardest position to learn and all your mistakes are magnified. Defensemen take longer to develop. He hasn't yet reached his prime years, still has a few years to reach them.

Old
08-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Teflon Sather View Post
I don't think it's a terrible idea, but John Moore isn't THAT incompetent defensively to be tried there.

08-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

John Moore is 23 years old.

He's improved a lot over the past season and a half.

He's a fantastic skater, and there's definitely some untapped offensive potential there as well.

Patience, my friends.

Old
08-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post

He's a fantastic skater, and there's definitely some untapped offensive potential there as well.

Patience, my friends.
Not disagreeing with everything your saying. He is 23 years old, he did improve over the past year and a half (although I don't know if I'd say improved a lot). I wont argue semantics in that regard, improvement is improvement. And he is a fantastic skater with some room to improve offensively, too.

But I still don't think that any of this suggests that he'll take a leap from being better than a 3rd pairing defender. He's not the smartest player on the ice. I can't see him fixing any of the mental mistakes any time soon.

Unbelievable raw talent. But there is more to this game than just talent.

Old
08-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Y'all seemed to love Callahan for blocking 1 Chara shot

Here's Glass blocking 3 Weber shots. Now love him.

Have to admit it takes serious cojones to lay down in front of one Weber shot that close, let alone 3.

Old
08-24-2014, 02:40 PM
NYRCSKA*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post
Not disagreeing with everything your saying. He is 23 years old, he did improve over the past year and a half (although I don't know if I'd say improved a lot). I wont argue semantics in that regard, improvement is improvement. And he is a fantastic skater with some room to improve offensively, too.

But I still don't think that any of this suggests that he'll take a leap from being better than a 3rd pairing defender. He's not the smartest player on the ice. I can't see him fixing any of the mental mistakes any time soon.

I've liked what I've seen from him. He was good in the playoffs last year I thought. He is far from a liability at both ends of the ice

Old
08-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Lundsanity30

What's the latest on Staal and Moore?

Old
08-24-2014, 03:13 PM
anofsti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectrocutedCat View Post
Considering individual players don't have the puck on their stick all that much, that isn't neccesarily a bad thing. Playing without the puck is how most of the game is played.

No one should be expecting a player like Glass to be a world beater with the puck. Guys who can hit, block shots, kill penalties, work the boards, and forecheck have value. It's unrealistic to expect a full roster of 18 dressed skaters to "dangle", shoot 50 times per game, and thread pin point passes, all in the name of Corsi.

Glass may not be a great player, and I hated the term and annual cap hit, but he does possess qualities that can contribute on the ice if deployed properly and if he can settle into a niche role.
But when the team is less likely to have the puck while you're on the ice, that is a sign you aren't a Good Hockey Player™. And as much as I like players blocking shots for the team, I'd rather have a player who forces the other team to block shots more than he blocks shots himself. (And Tanner Glass blocked 57 shots last year and took 56 shots). But, to be fair, he DID start most of his shift outside the offensive zone, and finished a tad over 50% of his shifts there.

So I think he'll suck, but he could be ok I guess. He had the hands down worst possession stats on the penguins last year.

Old
08-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:

Could Glass' Corsi actually be higher when playing without a stick?

Old
08-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
I've liked what I've seen from him. He was good in the playoffs last year I thought. He is far from a liability at both ends of the ice
He improved. I still think he was one of our most inconsistent defenders.

Old
08-24-2014, 07:09 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

It takes all kinds to make a good team. Glass got a great contract for what he brings but the Rangers do need size and grit--they do need guys who will do whatever it takes--whether it's dropping the gloves or dropping in front of a Shea Weber slapshot.

Old
08-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
It takes all kinds to make a good team. Glass got a great contract for what he brings but the Rangers do need size and grit--they do need guys who will do whatever it takes--whether it's dropping the gloves or dropping in front of a Shea Weber slapshot.
I agree, which is why I think that he has an inside track at making the team @ that spot.

I think there are really 3 available spots this year. Glass and Miller currently at the helm of owning two of those positions, but both need to come in and claim it.

Old
08-24-2014, 07:14 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post

Patience, my friends.
Quote:

As far as Moore goes--he has a lot of gifts--size, skating. I think he's improved. I think he needs to improve some more. These last two seasons but especially all the playoff games should help to make him a better player. He's been through some playoff wars--this is stuff that should educate and motivate a player to get better. He--like the rest of his teammates were close last year--he's been to a place that the larger % of NHL players have never been to. Deep playoff runs helps a lot to grow players.

Old
08-24-2014, 07:20 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I agree, which is why I think that he has an inside track at making the team @ that spot.

I think there are really 3 available spots this year. Glass and Miller currently at the helm of owning two of those positions, but both need to come in and claim it.
There are players that might not have a lot of talent but they have character. Shawn Thornton comes to mind. Glass does some things like penalty kill that Thornton doesn't do.

Brandon Prust is another example. I can't tell you how pissed I was at him for that cheap shot on Stepan in the playoffs but before he became a Ranger I had a good idea of what he brought. A Flame player had been run over by Brian McGrattan and Prust waded right in and took a beating from a much larger player pretty much feared around the league. Prust is a guy who will work to improve his game and in the meantime do whatever it takes to help his team win--block shots, fight, penalty kill---whatever.

Old
08-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Zil

Quote:

No, nerd stats say that when Tanner Glass plays hockey his team doesn't have the puck.

Old
08-24-2014, 09:59 PM
PurpleHayes
Ladder #36

vCash: 925
J.Moore has the tools but no tool box pretty simple. I think the guy will always be a 3rd pairing Dman.

Old
08-24-2014, 10:00 PM
PurpleHayes
Ladder #36

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
No, nerd stats say that when Tanner Glass plays hockey his team doesn't have the puck.
Could that be because he plays on a checking line against other teams 1st Line and kills penalties?

Old
08-24-2014, 10:32 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone stole hank View Post
Could that be because he plays on a checking line against other teams 1st Line and kills penalties?

08-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
His three most faced forwards were Giroux, Voracek and Hartnell.

So, at least against the Flyers, he did play the opposing first line

08-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
His three most faced forwards were Giroux, Voracek and Hartnell.

So, at least against the Flyers, he did play the opposing first line
I highly doubt he was regularly put out against top lines. Even Pittsburgh isn't that moronic. He probably played a few shifts out of his like 6 minutes of ES time against them.

Old
08-24-2014, 11:05 PM
SA16
Sixstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone stole hank View Post
As quotes stats are almost always 5 on 5 close game situations so the killing penalties is not relevant. The vs 1st lines is possible but that would show up in QOC. Always need to look at stats in a tandem. Saying a player has a 40% corsi or 60% corsi without any context really means nothing. In addition the error bars on corsi are very large so in reality a player with a 40% corsi we can say with confidence true corsi is between (40-x,40+x) where x is some semi-large number.

Closed Thread