HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Titans\Vols\Dores\Whatever other sport thread(IT ALL GOES HERE)

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2005, 03:04 PM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
It's sad that, to support UT, you are comparing them to the likes of Vandy and Arkansas. What happened to comparisons between UT and the other elite teams? Unfortunately, UT might have settled into the type of team that will have true national championship aspirations (legit, not "we expect to win every year" crap that all teams in the top 25 say) only once every five years. If I was a UT fan, that wouldn't be acceptable. Not when you consider the recruiting haul that UT brings in. UT is one of only a handful of teams whose recruiting class is always top 10 and most often top 5. They are up there with Texas, USC, Miami, Oklahoma. Yet those teams, though they have down years, always seem to find their way to the top on a consistent basis.

Let's check the final AP poll results and where UT lies post Championship:

1999: Preseason #2, Final #9 - Championship hopes dashed on 11/14 as UT fell to 7-2.
2000: Preseason #12, Final #21 - Championship hopes dashed in week 4 as UT worked their way out of the top 25.
2001: Preseason #8, Final #4 - Championship hopes dashed in SECC game with LSU.
2002: Preseason #5, Dropped out of poll for good on 11/3/02 - Hopes dashed in week 5 loss to UF.
2003: Preseason #12, Final #15 - Hopes dashed in week 6 with a loss to Auburn.
2004: Preseason #13, Final #13 - Hopes dashed in week 5 loss to Auburn.
2005: Preseason #3, Current #10 - Hopes dashed in loss to Florida?

Since 1999 (despite not being ranked at all during 2001), USC has had 4 times as many top 5 seasons as Tennessee in half the time frame. Oklahoma has, in that same period, finished top five 5 different times. Miami has had similar success to Okie’s. Texas, whose coach Mack Brown gets a ton of grief for failure to perform, has clearly outperformed Tennessee during that time frame with twice as many final top 5's and 1 more final top 10 and top 25.

In only one of the 6+ seasons since the national championship has UT finished ahead of its preseason rankings. And that was the only season where UT carried legitimate national title hopes deep into the season. In only two seasons has it finished top 10. In just as many seasons, UT has finished outside of the top 20. That's great for Arkansas, Vanderbilt, or my team, Kentucky, but it is not for UT. You can pretend that merely being quite good is enough to satisfy UT faithful. But when you look at the talent on the field (I haven't seen a UT team truly out-talented in a while), there is no excuse for the level of success (or lackthereof) experienced by UT.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 09-19-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old
09-19-2005, 03:49 PM
vopatsrash

I don't think there's any doubt that UT's coaching is suspect. They are strong in some areas, but their game management/organization is weak. I mainly blame Fulmer for his over-loyalty to Randy Sanders.

With that said, I think they were overrated in most of the preseason polls in the past several years. My expectation level of the team each of the past 6-7 seasons has been lower than the expectation level of the national media.

Look at this season...they're talented, but with an inexperienced QB with talent and an experienced QB without talent. There's no way they were going to handle the schedule they have and be a top 3 team with their coaching and QB situation. Next year, however, my expectation is top 3, even with the coaching. Their schedule is tough again, but their toughest road game is UGA and they'll be breaking in a new QB.

With that said, they have let it get to the point that expectations are lowered by underachieving, especially in the scope of allowing the team to fall out of the top 25 and having at least one extremely embarrassing loss a season.

The only 5 things that have been purely unacceptable to me from this program since the national championship were the second half of the LSU game in the SEC championship game, the 2 embarrassing Peach Bowls, the Florida game in the rain in 2002, and the Arkansas game in 1999. The Arkansas game and the the LSU game cost them a chance at the national championship game in those respective years.

Old
09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Assuming Vandy beats MTSU/Richmond, they will only need one more win for a bowl in their other 6 games that include 4 current top 10 teams and a road game against Spurrier.

I think Vandy wins 6-7 games.

Here we go again with early predictions of bowling. Dang man. Can't you keep your mouth shut! All Vandy needs is some encouragement to get the big head and BAM...losses to Richmond AND MTSU!
even in the worst of times, Vandy could take care of the D-2's, of which Richmond is one and MTSU plays like one.

Old
09-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Agreed - 01 should have been the Vols year, as well....no excuse losing to LSU in that final game. LSU didn't even have a good quarterback at the time.....Heck, they didn't even have a good back....they just outplayed them as a team.

09-19-2005, 07:24 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
even in the worst of times, Vandy could take care of the D-2's, of which Richmond is one and MTSU plays like one.
you mean the MTSU that has won like the last two against Vandy?

Old
09-19-2005, 10:27 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Yo I need some help guys. As a HUGE Titans fan up here in Montreal, I get NO COVERAGE of the team here at all. How are the RBs playing? I saw the stats, nothing special, but it was against Ray Lewis. Having the 2 a good idea? What about the secondary? Can they keep up? Calico seems invisible on the score sheet, I was really hoping that he would step up now that Mason is gone. Is Starks for real? *** WHY DID WE TRADE CALMUS. I always like him more then Kassell. Last question is out kicking, will it hold up to the test of time?

Old
09-19-2005, 10:28 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I forgot about Ben Troupe, is he playing more then Kinney? I don't really like Kinney for some reason

Old
09-19-2005, 11:02 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe
Yo I need some help guys. As a HUGE Titans fan up here in Montreal, I get NO COVERAGE of the team here at all. How are the RBs playing? I saw the stats, nothing special, but it was against Ray Lewis. Having the 2 a good idea? What about the secondary? Can they keep up? Calico seems invisible on the score sheet, I was really hoping that he would step up now that Mason is gone. Is Starks for real? *** WHY DID WE TRADE CALMUS. I always like him more then Kassell. Last question is out kicking, will it hold up to the test of time?
The two headed running back system hasn't worked out great so far. Chris Brown has looked like the far more effective runner, but he had a momentum killing fumble deep in Ravens territory. They were well on our way to another field goal when he coughed it up. They cannot afford those mistakes. Henry has looked rather pedestrian for them this year save for a nice late-fourth quarter run on the last drive. It's not entirely his fault as the o-line doesn't open the holes up like they seem to do for Brown, but some of that (maybe even a lot) has to be put on Henry's shoulders. I don't know if he's just not hitting the hole hard enough or if he's not reading it right, but he never seems to make it more than a yard or two without taking serious contact. Chris Brown, on the other hand, seems to glide quite often into to the defensive backfield untouched.

Old
09-19-2005, 11:08 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFan77
you mean the MTSU that has won like the last two against Vandy?
yeah the same MTSU that beat Vandy twice and no longer has Dwone Hicks, Tyrone Calico, and Rashard Lee.

the few things MTSU will have are the coach's job and their entire season will probably be riding on that game, Vandy will be looking forward to the home games with LSU and UGA, and MTSU will be the most focused they will be this season, however, I think Cutler will offset the MTSU bowl game-like emotion.

Old
09-19-2005, 11:12 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe
I forgot about Ben Troupe, is he playing more then Kinney? I don't really like Kinney for some reason
I think Troupe is going to be the man, but he broke his foot in one of the mini-camps and missed most of training camp. He looked decent against Pittsburgh (well, in that first drive or two) and I think he will be more utilized as he gets into shape.

Kinney is what he is and will hold down the fort until troupe is 100%.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Darth Milbury

I just have one comments to add to this thread:

THREE IN A ROW!!!

Old
09-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think the running game has slacked because we have played Baltimore and the Steelers two of the best defenses and run defenses in the league.

Old
09-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

it's STILL a NIGHT game ... muahahahaha

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...v=ap&type=lgns

Old
09-23-2005, 10:25 AM
muddycreek*

It's either Saunders or Fulmer! NO WAY Ainge ought to be playing instead of Clausen. Saunders/Fulmer has ***** on Clausen. After last year, he deserves to play every game, every play until he proves he can not win. Clausen may not have the talkent of Ainge BUT he's got the experence and enough talent to WIN! Ainge is fragile and unable to manage the team. He needs another year of seasoning. IMO, UT IS NOT a National Tiltle contender. Never was this year. Too many question marks (receivers, offensive line, pass defense). Overall defense is good enough to win 10 or so games but not great. Much better than the offense so far mainly due to QB indecision by Saunders/Fulmer. Mark my words, if Ainge does not show BIG TIME the rest of the year and continues to start. Saunders or Phil WILL BE GONE!

Old
09-23-2005, 10:29 AM
muddycreek*

It's either Saunders or Fulmer! NO WAY Ainge ought to be playing instead of Clausen. Saunders/Fulmer has ***** on Clausen. After last year, he deserves to play every game, every play until he proves he can not win. Clausen may not have the talkent of Ainge BUT he's got the experence and enough talent to WIN! Ainge is fragile and unable to manage the team. He needs another year of seasoning. IMO, UT IS NOT a National Tiltle contender. Never was this year. Too many question marks (receivers, offensive line, pass defense). Overall defense is good enough to wing 10 or so games but not great. Much better tha offense so far mainly due to QM indecision by Saunders/Fulmer. Mark my words, if Ainge does not show BIG TIME the rest of the year and continues to start. Saundersor Phil WILL BE GONE!

IF Vandy wins, it'll be for sure a new Vandy. After all it's "VAUNDERBILT" with it's inate ability to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. Lose when they should win. I'd like to see Vandy undefeated at when they play UT. What a game!

Old
09-24-2005, 11:32 PM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
And with a 37-13 win over Richmond VANDY IS 4-0!!!!!!!!!

Good for them, I hope they go even further!

And my Pitt Panthers finally got their first win...41-0 over "powerhouse" Youngstown St. (although, YS was 3-0 going in to the game). Pitt should be at least 2-2 or 3-1, but at this point, I'll take a win over anyone.

Old
09-26-2005, 09:26 AM
muddycreek*

Vandy is 4-0. Better get your Sugar Bowl tickets while you can. The "Front Running Hoards" are piling on the Vandy band waggon!

Old
09-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
The "Front Running Hoards" are piling on the Vandy band waggon!
Only because they are off the UT one after the. Fla loss

Old
09-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

*looks at Vanderbilt's remaining schedule*

ya know what 7-4 is a reasonable outcome for the team this year

Old
09-26-2005, 11:51 AM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
*looks at Vanderbilt's remaining schedule*

ya know what 7-4 is a reasonable outcome for the team this year
I kind of think Vandy might beat MTSU, USC, and Kentucky. That would be 7-4 at worst. I could also see them catching LSU at home. I think they'll lose to UGA and UF.

Here's a hypothetical...

Let's say Vandy beats LSU, MTSU, Kentucky, and USC and is 8-2 and UT loses @ LSU, @ Alabama, Georgia, and @ Notre Dame and beats Ole Miss, Memphis, and USC and is 4-5 with Vandy and UK left on the schedule.

Suppose there would be a buzz in Nashville if the UT-Vandy game sets up a scenario in which Vandy beating UT would simultaneously mean that Vandy earns a New Year's day bowl game and UT doesn't go to a bowl game at all?

Old
09-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
I kind of think Vandy might beat MTSU, USC, and Kentucky. That would be 7-4 at worst. I could also see them catching LSU at home. I think they'll lose to UGA and UF.

Here's a hypothetical...

Let's say Vandy beats LSU, MTSU, Kentucky, and USC and is 8-2 and UT loses @ LSU, @ Alabama, Georgia, and @ Notre Dame and beats Ole Miss, Memphis, and USC and is 4-5 with Vandy and UK left on the schedule.

Suppose there would be a buzz in Nashville if the UT-Vandy game sets up a scenario in which Vandy beating UT would simultaneously mean that Vandy earns a New Year's day bowl game and UT doesn't go to a bowl game at all?
do you know how happy that would make me, we're going to find out in 7 and a half hours or so what this UT team is made of ... because UF outfinessed them in Florida, and UT's offense didn't show, what a recurring theme for the Vols this year though, UAB (fans = we never show up for our first game), 2nd game (our offense didn't show up), now they're walking into the Hornet's nest ... you don't say you're ready to forefeit the game with all the things the players in Baton Rouge have had to go through, LSU will be pissed off by Fulmer's comments and run rough shod through that UT defense

Old
09-26-2005, 12:33 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
do you know how happy that would make me, we're going to find out in 7 and a half hours or so what this UT team is made of ... because UF outfinessed them in Florida, and UT's offense didn't show, what a recurring theme for the Vols this year though, UAB (fans = we never show up for our first game), 2nd game (our offense didn't show up), now they're walking into the Hornet's nest ... you don't say you're ready to forefeit the game with all the things the players in Baton Rouge have had to go through, LSU will be pissed off by Fulmer's comments and run rough shod through that UT defense
There's a two-way street here, though. Fulmer and UT are in a no-win situation because anything they say can be thrown back in their face as "you're not sensitive to the victims of Katrina".

Let's see, there's a category 5 hurricane coming towards Louisiana on Saturday and LSU is not budging on the Saturday game time and Fulmer doesn't want to play a game in a hurricane and suddenly Fulmer is insensitive? I watched the UGA/MSU game on Saturday and the SEC official was saying they would stop the game if lightning was 6 miles away from Starkville. There was going to be a little more than lightning in Baton Rouge on Saturday. Why was moving this game even an issue for LSU in the first place?

I see this as LSU was way more exploitive than UT. "There are no hotel rooms because of all of the relief workers and refugees, so your fans and team can't stay here and it's going to be a night game because we want it that way (code for "so our fans can drink all day and make more noise"), deal with it and tell your fans to find a hotel in Birmingham at 2AM and if you protest you aren't supporting the relief efforts." That was pre-Rita. Then, it took the SEC office to step in and make them move the game out of a potential second hurricane. But what about the victims and relief workers, LSU?

I respect what's going on down there and UT should (and has) bend over backwards to do what is needed to help the workers and refugees. The LSU fans and students need to go and get drunk and scream and enjoy a football game. It's been a horrific month and they deserve to have a good time. But, don't try to manipulate the situation to make the most winnable situation for your football team and hide behind Katrina and make everyone out to be the bad guy when there's a complaint about your weirdness.

Fulmer will be able to use that to anger his players, as well, but I agree that it will be impossible to match the intensity of the LSU team and their crowd. It will take a monster game from Ainge and/or Riggs for UT to win and I don't see Ainge doing it at this point.

Old
09-26-2005, 12:41 PM
vopatsrash

back to football...

Here's another scenario...

Florida melts down and loses @ LSU, @ Alabama and Georgia (possible, but not likely)
UT beats Georgia and goes 1-1 against LSU and Alabama (possible)
Vandy upsets Georgia and loses to Florida, and LSU (possible)
Georgia loses @ UT and @ Vandy

UT (4-2 in the SEC and with Kentucky left) and Vandy (5-2 in the SEC) would essentially be playing with the winner representing the SEC east in the SEC championship game.

Old
09-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Tennessee = short end of the stick this year, I tell you what ... LSU = 2 weeks off, Georgia = 2 weeks off,

Old
09-26-2005, 03:04 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Granted Vandy is playing quite well, I can't see them beating us(USC) in Columbia especially with us coming off a bye.

Closed Thread