HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Titans\Vols\Dores\Whatever other sport thread(IT ALL GOES HERE)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2005, 03:08 PM
  #51
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFan77
Granted Vandy is playing quite well, I can't see them beating us(USC) in Columbia especially with us coming off a bye.
yeah, that is definitely a tough game for vandy and it will be tough for UT, as well, even in Knoxville. I can only remember about 2 games where USC didn't play UT well.

I don't consider USC a gimme for either team, but a win over USC was necessary for the 2 dream scenarios.

vopatsrash is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 06:08 PM
  #52
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
but a win over USC was necessary for the 2 dream scenarios

yep. It's a dream alright. A BIG FREEKIN DREAM that will NEVER come true.Not this year. Not nest year. Not in your or my lifetime! BOOK IT!

muddycreek* is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 07:27 PM
  #53
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
but a win over USC was necessary for the 2 dream scenarios

yep. It's a dream alright. A BIG FREEKIN DREAM that will NEVER come true.Not this year. Not nest year. Not in your or my lifetime! BOOK IT!
yeah, if Erik Ainge and his receivers ever master that whole "throwing-catching" thing, they might be in a position to join Vandy in that dream scenario.

7-0 after that quarter? I'll take it.

vopatsrash is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 08:00 PM
  #54
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,219
vCash: 500
21-0

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 10:35 PM
  #55
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
21-0
what a frigging comeback! Go vols

Pred303 is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 11:03 PM
  #56
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
what a frigging comeback! Go vols
Crazy come back....

I STILL think the play calling is pretty bad, but it goes to show that talent will prevail in some situations. The Vols were the better team on both sides of the ball......it just took them over half the game to realize it...

Go Vols - I agree

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 11:06 PM
  #57
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
what a frigging comeback! Go vols
wow

literally a little league caliber performance in the first half and Clausen/Riggs come through in the second and OT!

wow

vopatsrash is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 11:26 PM
  #58
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
wow

literally a little league caliber performance in the first half and Clausen/Riggs come through in the second and OT!

wow
LSU quit psychologically at half time ... that 3 point opportunity missed at the end of the half was huge mentally ... and you could tell the coach wasn't happy as he was going into the locker room ... oh well ... Russell made a stupid mistake by running, when he clearly should have thrown the ball away ... Go Dawgs ... they will end UT's NC hopes

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
09-27-2005, 05:52 AM
  #59
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
wow

literally a little league caliber performance in the first half and Clausen/Riggs come through in the second and OT!

wow
Forget Riggs and Clausen, give this victory to the coaching staff. They were able to overcome a QB that wasn't always accurate, a RB didn't always secure the football, a receiving core that couldn't catch the football, and an offensive line that struggled for the better part of the game.

Despite all that, they took what LSU gave them. As the game progressed, LSU began to back off the UT receivers (biggest mistake made in the 2nd half by LSU), and allowed UT to develop an underneath game to counter the pressure. UT was able to dink and dunk down the field and score. This was the beginning of the end for the LSU. That drive took it's toll on the defense, and forced the LSU offense into a shell.

LSU, instead of playing tight coverage on the UT receivers, began to back off further and further as they got tired. Personally, I don't understand this. You are giving a QB credit for something he's never done. Why fear the deep ball if UT hasn't produced a deep game in several years? You have a QB that isn't mobile and struggles to avoid pressure. You have a QB with a weak arm. You have a QB that is inaccurate in the medium and long passing games. So what do you do? You back off the wide receivers and never allow the LSU blitz to take advantage of the lack of mobility. You back off the receivers and you keep all those throws short and easy for Clausen.

And as the 4th period kept progressing, LSU kept blitzing. Despite not getting any pressure as the LSU players began to wear out, they brough pressure. I've always been of the philosophy that if you can't get pressure blitzing, just send three and drop 8. Clausen didn't look great in the second half. He missed a bunch of throws. Why give him all day to throw and man-to-man coverage?

But the flip-side to these terrible coaching decisions is a staff that takes advantage of them. I routinely knock Fulmer and Sanders, but they thoroughly outcoached a team that outclassed them on the field. They took a struggling team and molded the playcalling to mask what they couldn't fix. Bravo!

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
09-27-2005, 08:10 AM
  #60
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Forget Riggs and Clausen, give this victory to the coaching staff. They were able to overcome a QB that wasn't always accurate, a RB didn't always secure the football, a receiving core that couldn't catch the football, and an offensive line that struggled for the better part of the game.

Despite all that, they took what LSU gave them. As the game progressed, LSU began to back off the UT receivers (biggest mistake made in the 2nd half by LSU), and allowed UT to develop an underneath game to counter the pressure. UT was able to dink and dunk down the field and score. This was the beginning of the end for the LSU. That drive took it's toll on the defense, and forced the LSU offense into a shell.

LSU, instead of playing tight coverage on the UT receivers, began to back off further and further as they got tired. Personally, I don't understand this. You are giving a QB credit for something he's never done. Why fear the deep ball if UT hasn't produced a deep game in several years? You have a QB that isn't mobile and struggles to avoid pressure. You have a QB with a weak arm. You have a QB that is inaccurate in the medium and long passing games. So what do you do? You back off the wide receivers and never allow the LSU blitz to take advantage of the lack of mobility. You back off the receivers and you keep all those throws short and easy for Clausen.

And as the 4th period kept progressing, LSU kept blitzing. Despite not getting any pressure as the LSU players began to wear out, they brough pressure. I've always been of the philosophy that if you can't get pressure blitzing, just send three and drop 8. Clausen didn't look great in the second half. He missed a bunch of throws. Why give him all day to throw and man-to-man coverage?

But the flip-side to these terrible coaching decisions is a staff that takes advantage of them. I routinely knock Fulmer and Sanders, but they thoroughly outcoached a team that outclassed them on the field. They took a struggling team and molded the playcalling to mask what they couldn't fix. Bravo!
beyond all of that, you could see 3 things happening when they were down 21-0. 1) LSU was too fired up at the start and expended a lot of energy considering the heat index was 105 degrees at 6:30. Now that college football games are 4+ hours long, you have to really focus. 2) The first half was so lop-sided that it seemed to take the crowd out of the game a bit and gave Clausen a better chance to settle in. It takes a close game to maintain the kind intensity that the LSU team had, and it wasn't close for much of the first 2/3 of the game. I think this led to most of the lack of LSU defensive focus that you are talking about. 3) UT's defense was hanging in there. LSU scored one td with a short field after the Ainge fumble inside the 20. They scored a 2nd td with the Ainge INT of the Jeff George-like underhand toss in the endzone. Also, the immediacy of their touchdowns meant the LSU defense was on the field longer. Had the UT defense stunk, it would have been 45-0 at half and there would have been no chance for a comeback. 21-0 at half gave the offense the ability to get them back in the game with a couple of more defensive stops, which they got.

This really reminded me of the Auburn game from 2 years ago at Auburn when Cadillac and Ronnie Brown ran all over UT in the first half and their crowd was frenzied, then UT made the mad comeback and fell short on the final drive.

Les Miles seemed to be a little in over his head. I think he'll be fine in the end, but that was a Mark Richt during his first season at UGA-like performance.

Fulmer is pretty adept at wringing out the tough and ugly road win when all seems lost. Even with the lack of discipline his teams continually show, he somehow pulls it out 8 out of 10 times. He's patient and persistent.

vopatsrash is offline  
Old
09-27-2005, 08:49 AM
  #61
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
VOLS! Hope idiot Saunders and yes man Fulmer have figgured out the team aint gonna play for Ainge! I still do not think UT is a strong team. Their receivers are suspect. Their offensive line is weak. Clausen is not much of a passer BUT he is one hell of a leader. Classic UT win. They have done it many, many times..pull victory out of the jaws of defeat. perhpas Vandy could lean a few thing about winning from UT. bet if they get down 21 zip it's "Turn out the lights. The party's over!"

muddycreek* is offline  
Old
10-01-2005, 09:24 PM
  #62
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,747
vCash: 500
MTSU...beats Vandy...again

Pred303 is offline  
Old
10-01-2005, 09:28 PM
  #63
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,219
vCash: 500
typical Vanderbilt collapse ... shoulda used that last TO to get your kicking team settled and focused instead of rushing them in there after spiking the ball ... brilliant!

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
10-03-2005, 08:46 AM
  #64
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Sugar bowl hopes are still alive for Vandy!

muddycreek* is offline  
Old
10-03-2005, 02:41 PM
  #65
NH_Predsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
typical Vanderbilt collapse ... shoulda used that last TO to get your kicking team settled and focused instead of rushing them in there after spiking the ball ... brilliant!
*sigh* Bowl hopes are still alive, but no question about it....this loss hurt. Some teams just have your number. You just hate it when that team is MTSU. lol.

NH_Predsfan is offline  
Old
10-03-2005, 03:09 PM
  #66
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Sugar bowl hopes are still alive for Vandy!
cracking yourself up?

It's played out already

triggrman is offline  
Old
10-03-2005, 03:14 PM
  #67
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
cracking yourself up?

It's played out already
Nope, just laughing my arse off at the two or three Vandy fans that did a lot of popping off about how many games Vandy would win including beat LSU this Saturday.

SUGAR BOWL HOPES DASHED. ANY BOWL HOPES DASHED. They may have won their last game UNLESS they can beat hapless Kentucky (football).

muddycreek* is offline  
Old
10-03-2005, 03:17 PM
  #68
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
typical Vanderbilt collapse ... shoulda used that last TO to get your kicking team settled and focused instead of rushing them in there after spiking the ball ... brilliant!

Woulda shoulda coulda. I don't disagree with Johnson's call on that one. Hindsight is 20-20 but I could see where he doesn't want his young kicker to have to think about it any more than normal. Running out there quick might be in the best interests of the kicker. Unfortunately, the left side of VU's Oline collapsed. Usually the other team will bring more than a particular side can block but the line can hold together long enough for the kick. But there was a massive hole for MTSU there. Maybe a timeout would have settled down the o-line. But it could have iced the kicker too.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
10-03-2005, 03:27 PM
  #69
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,965
vCash: 500
I'm a Notre Dame fan so I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but why kick a team that's been down for so long? Who's your team again?

triggrman is offline  
Old
10-03-2005, 04:16 PM
  #70
FangFingers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I'm a Notre Dame fan so I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but why kick a team that's been down for so long? Who's your team again?

My team is MTSU, and I havent begun to kick yet. I hate Vandy with a passion.

I think MTSU will have a fine season, might go to a bowl if they can catch a break. But even if we dont, by ruining the bandwagon West Enders entire dream year, it makes everything OK no matter what happens for us Blue Raiders.

The sun shines a little brighter, the air smells a bit sweeter, and all is right in the world.

FangFingers is offline  
Old
10-03-2005, 04:21 PM
  #71
FangFingers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Oh, and FWIW Middle Tennessee Hockey swept Vandy in a two game series.


Game 1 (Thursday):
MT 12
Vandy 4

Game 2 (Friday):
MT 9
Vandy 4

FangFingers is offline  
Old
10-03-2005, 06:09 PM
  #72
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,965
vCash: 500
I went to MTSU for a little while, so I guess they should be "my" team too. I pull for them, and I think if they can get a decent coach (not an Andy fan), that's the first win, let's take baby steps. Vandy is the best team they've faced and they won, why can't they win against lesser teams.

triggrman is offline  
Old
10-03-2005, 07:19 PM
  #73
PredsFan77*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Undisclosed
Country: Maldives
Posts: 6,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FangFingers
My team is MTSU, and I havent begun to kick yet. I hate Vandy with a passion.

I think MTSU will have a fine season, might go to a bowl if they can catch a break. But even if we dont, by ruining the bandwagon West Enders entire dream year, it makes everything OK no matter what happens for us Blue Raiders.

The sun shines a little brighter, the air smells a bit sweeter, and all is right in the world.
So I take it your boss is a Vandy alumni?

Do they still let anyone who has a pulse into MTSU?

PredsFan77* is offline  
Old
10-04-2005, 08:46 AM
  #74
muddycreek*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Hick
Country: Ireland
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFan77
So I take it your boss is a Vandy alumni?

Do they still let anyone who has a pulse into MTSU?
Do they still let anyone with a lot of money OR a close relative with money who graduated from Vanderbilt into Vandy? There are NO entrance requirements EXCEPT "student has a chance to suceed (what is suceed?) from Vanderbilt AND/or how much you or your family can contribute to Vanderbilt. The smarter you are (higher SAT scores) the less you are expected to contribute. The dumber you are(low SAT scores) the more your family connections/money come into play. It's that simple. Vanderbilt has an open admissions policy. they can admit whoeber they want depending on $$$$$$$$$$$$ and influence. The excellent acedemics clsim is smoke and mirrors.


Here we go again. Coaches and players making excuses for their defeat Saturday....The closk did not stop when it should. Would another three or four seconds keep MTSU from blocking the kick? Why did Vandy not call time out? Can we say they get a big fat F for clock management.

muddycreek* is offline  
Old
10-04-2005, 09:37 AM
  #75
FangFingers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
I dont get Vandy whining about the blocked kick. I should, because they whine about everything else.

If you dont block Weaver, which you didnt, then it doesnt matter if you attempt the kick from the 5 yd line with 45 seconds left. Its not like he missed the kick wide, it was blocked. Poor line play/great individual effort by MT safety was the cause of the block, not poor clock management.

Im overjoyed that this loss, to MT, ruined your once in every 50 years chance to go to a bowl. Dont worry, there's always the 2055 football season.

And you can crow about Vandy's supposedly superior academics all you want, because, really, thats all you have - some article from U.S. News that somehow has the ability to rank thousands of different institutions from hundreds of different areas with thousands of different missions. Im quite happy with my MT degree. As painful as it must be to you, you and your Vandy degree will pay the same amount for a cup of coffee as I will. Only, i'm not $120,000 in debt from mine.

FangFingers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.