HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Asking trade opinion on my Boston/Phoenix proposal

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
Asking trade opinion on my Boston/Phoenix proposal

First off... I am asking for opinions, so anyone can respond and I won't get too offended when everyone tells me I am an idiot or whatever they want to say. That said, responses of how people hate fantasy trade threads seem a waste of time to me, since why would you read this post in the first place if you don't get off on this type of chat? My thread is pretty clearly labled.

I may or may not jump in to counter an argument if anyone does say something I don't agree with... but likely this post will be my only one in this thread, cause honestly; I am just interested in feedback at this moment.

Now that all said... I will say that I don't necessarily want this trade to happen myself. I came up with the idea a few days ago before Raycroft was signed. Now that he is signed at far less money than I thought he would be, it gets a heck of a lot harder for me to want to trade him.

There are reasons though I still like this deal... so here goes.

And for the record, I am a Bruin fan... so keep that in mind if you wish.

Obviously, at this point Andrew Raycroft is the first name in my trade proposal. He seems like the real deal to me. I am expecting he will have a fine career as an upper echelon starting goaltender. I don't think his skill level is quite good enough though to ever be a Roy/Hasek type of 'win-it-by-himself-at-playoff-time' stud. Maybe Toivonen will be? Boston has two young goaltenders we need to find out about. This isnt a working situation. I can only think of NY Islanders, and Edmonton as examples in the last 30 years where 2 young goaltenders on the same team at the same time led to any type of real success. Both those teams had to quickly address the situation too and let the lesser guy go.

I dont think Bruins are forced to give up one guy or the other this season... but sooner rather than later I feel they will have to make a call. Might as well do it when there is value coming back. Goaltenders just never fetch much in trades. In recent years kids like JS Gigure, Roberto Louongo, Marc Denis, and countless others have been moved for next to nothing in return. Even Patrick Roy and Dominek Hasek were dealt as Stanley Cup caliber goaltenders at the peak of their careers for very limited returns.

Its not a market place that is hungry for goaltenders at the moment... but I do think Raycroft is a big upgrade for some teams, and Phoenix would be one of them.

The other Bruin I am suggesting moving here is Sergei Samsonov. The kid has been injury bit the last 2 seasons but the reality is, that when healthy Sammy has been a second liner most his career.. has ALWAYS been a second pp unit guy... and he has still been a very productive scorer. Sammy produces Even Strength points as well as anyone in the NHL. Take a look at his icetime and he has scored as well as anyone in the league on a point per minute basis over the last 5 years or so.

If Sammy had a chance to open up... move to the west... get first PP unit time... play on a first line with another talent like a Nagy for arguments sakes... and if he stayed healthy, I believe he could contest for the NHL scoring title. Remember...when healthy Sammy has been a ppg player well near the all star break a couple times in his young career already.

Sammy is entering a contract year... he will be an UFA this next offseason. The reality is, that if he has a healthy season this year, he will be a kid that will be able to command that big 5 mill+ type contract for next year. Bruins have no room at all to keep him at that money. If he happened to struggle or be injured this year, then of course he wouldnt be able to get that type of contract... but he would still be injured or struggling this year.

Either case scenerio... Sammy's value to Boston is limited.

I think the team is better off trying to move him to a club that could possibly afford to sign him to a longer term deal now. Phoenix has the cap room.

So from Boston I would move Sammy/Raycroft and I do value them... I just think it makes sense from how our team works out to make this deal possibly.

Now, I want some value back from Phoenix... and I start with asking for Paul Mara.

I love Mara.

He has top end skills to play a top level 2-way game. He is more offensively gifted than Nicholas Boynton in my opinion. Bruins had a number of offensively talented kids in the pipeline 2 seasons ago. Shaonne Morrisonn, Jeff Jillson, Lars Jonsson figured to have glutted the need for years to come for us to add another kid to the mix. They are all gone now. Girard has the skills, but he doesnt have the all-round game to log top4 icetime. Leetch is a short term answer. The team could use a Mara type for the next few years for sure.

Paul Mara will be coming up on UFA soon too... but I dont see him making Samsonov money. I could be wrong, but even if I am not, the trade still wouldnt hurt the Bruins huge in the short term either. Mara would be no worst than the Bruin's third best d-man this year and could even be their best depending on how he's progressed since last I saw him play. Boston is overloaded up front and needs help on the blueline.

Mara just makes sense all the way around.

I would also take Mike Comrie in the trade. Comrie to me is an overrated guy with most fans. He just isnt a first line player and has dropped the ball when given first line responsibilities. I question his off ice value too. He was a problem signing for Edmonton right off the bat. He was run out of Philadelphia in record time. He has yet to set the world on fire in Phoenix from what I have seen. I don't know about this kid... but he is cheaper than Samsonov now, and he still has some potential to upgrade his act if he were to get serious about the game.

I think short term, Comrie would fit in ok in samsonov's spot on a second line in Boston with Zhamnov/Bergeron to support the big Murray/Thornton/McEachern first unit. Comrie is made to be a second liner.

Longer, term... I guess the B's could let Comrie go and look to allow one of their younger kids like a Brad Boyes or a Andy Hilbert to move into the spot next year depending on their progress.

A deal of Samsonov/Raycroft for Comrie/Mara would clear up over half a million in cap room for Boston right off the bat. I think Boston suffers in the overall talent exchange so I would need a draft pick from Phoenix. Call it a first if Sammy signs next year or a second rounder if he doesnt.

These are all younger guys with the prime of their careers ahead of them... I think its an interesting proposal. I am going to watch to see if some people think Boston gets ripped off and if some think Phoenix does. I always believe that is the best indication of whether a trade might actually be fair or not.

Whatever... I expose my neck now. Do as you would wish... or if you hated the whole post, let me apologize here in advance for having wasted your time.

Go Bruins go... 2005-2006 Stanly Cup Champs... here we come.

Old
09-18-2005, 09:31 AM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
This is similar to the trade I proposed a few days ago, but I liked mine better. The difference was I proposed Boucher and Kolanos with Mara instead of Comrie. I'll agree that Comrie is overrated, but I also think the same of Samsonov, and I actually consider them similar players. So then it turns into Raycroft for Mara, basically, and for a team that already has Joseph, Boucher and Leneveu, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Old
09-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
And another Bruins fan here. Okay let's say you make the deal. Boynton is where in all of this? I would try to squeeze Sammy for Mara 1/1 and getting some cap room.

Old
09-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
From Bruins fan point of view , NO DEAL !!!

How in hell this deal help the Bruins ?

So we start the season with Toivonen (great but still a rookie) and Thomas a AHL unproven vets !

Comrie is a downgrade from Samsonov, Hey, Let us the chance seeing Sammy with Zhamnov and Bergeron at least for one season

Mara is a good defenseman but is he that good to let us with no Goalie with NHL experience ? NO

Old
09-18-2005, 10:35 AM
nneate

Longest. Trade Proposal. Ever.

Anyways Raycroft/Samsonov for Mara/Comrie seems like Boston is overpaying considerably, I personally wouldn't do it if I were Boston... Seems like you would be better doing a straight up swap for players.
Sammy for Mara
Raycroft for Volchenkov (examples)

Old
09-18-2005, 11:27 AM
BruinAddict

As a Boston fan, no deal.

Comrie is not a player I would want on my team, he's a whiner as far as I'm concerned and hasn't done much of anything since leaving his home-town Oilers. Mara is an UFA after this season, and although Sammy is as well, I expect him to be re-signed sometime in January.

I highly doubt Boston moves a goalie this season.

Old
09-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Id never make that deal.......
Mara has similar game to Boynton(i do like Mara but a more rugged Dmen is needed)
Id prefer not to give up Razor just yet,perhaps next offseason when he could again look to double his salary.
For Samsonov id like to get Gauthier and Kolanos(although id like to know how hes recovered from the concussion issues he had a few seasons ago.
How would everyone else rate this trade?

Old
09-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

How times have changed, Michael. You once gave me a hard time because I disagreed with your assessment of Samsonov as the "next Jagr." You suggested that, if I did not see Samsonov as a star, that was a sign I was not watching the Bruins very closely. And, in fact, I think you made a similar argument about Anson Carter. I think the moral of the story is that potential and production over short periods of time does not equal outcome.

BruinAddict - Exactly where are the B's going to find the cap space to sign Samsonov? If they sign him to an extension in Jan it will put them over the cap for this year, since the cap is determiend by the average over the lifetime of the players contract. Unless Samsonov is willing to sign for exactly what he is making now, there will be no extension talks.

Anyway, my feeling is that all the deals in this thread favor PHX by a very wide margin. I like Mara and think think he is going to be very, very good. But, #1 goaltender who can be as good as Raycroft is rare in today's NHL. IMO, Raycroft is worth Mara AND something good. Something like Raycroft and Hilbert for Mara, Comrie, and a pick.

Old
09-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Something like Raycroft and Hilbert for Mara, Comrie, and a pick.
Now theres something interesting...

but isn't Mara a free agent after this season? He'll want a raise..

Old
09-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
im not sure i said samsonov was the next jagr... he has never been a shooter the way jagr or bure are.

I still think samsonov will contend for scoring titles in his career, so i havent soured on Sammy.

I just cant see how Boston will sign him next year given that we've commetted our big money to Thornton/Murray/Zhamnov. When we have spent 14 million on just these 3 guys and we have other talented kids getting closer to big paydays over the next couple years like Boynton/Bergeron and we've also ponied up decent dollar for a third line stud like Scatchard, I see very real concerns with cap problems coming up.

A Mara type at 2-2.5 mill is more valuable to me for the Bruins that a Sammy type at 5 mill.

I do think Sammy will lite it up this year playing with Zhamnov and Bergeron all season... the new rules should benefit guys like this... and there isnt anyone to take PP time away from him this season either. He could easily see his first ever first PP unit assignment.

I dont see his trade value getting any better at the deadline. every club has hit the cap limit and the few that havent prob wont be playoff bound teams.

Impending ufa status for guys like Sammy hurt their trade value now more than ever before imo.

I dont think Phoenix needs hilbert. they have a whole mess of unproven 2nd and third line talents. Im not even sure they need Raycroft. Cujo is not finished in my opinion and Boucher has been streaky in his young career. He could still mature.

The deal for my thinking is just to add one particular piece to the Bruin puzzle. Mara is a stud in my opinion.

Stuart/Alberts/Jurcina should all be contributing members of the team within a year or 2 at the outside and all are more physical or grittier dmen with more limited offensive talents. Boynton is a 2-way stud but his talents dont translate to point production or the ability to quarterback and NHL powerplay.

Too many dmen with NO experience all on the team at once is a formula for disaster. Mara being a 97 draftee like Boynton makes him more valuable to me. He still has the 10 best years of his career ahead of him... he is a Boston area kid with ties to the area.

Pick him up... then figure a way to meet Anaheims asking price for Keith Carney.

Let Carney be the leader of the D for the next 3 years or so... Boynton/Mara will take the lead logging the majority of the icetime.

Leetch can be kept till he completely fades out... Gill can be kept until one of the young kids takes his spot.

I think this plan would work better than planning to go with guys like Moran/Girard as top 5 dmen which it seems the club is doing this year.

I think too.. the Bruins are letting prospects like Hilbert/Zinovjev/Boyes get disheartened with the log jam up front. Moving a proven stud like Sammy for a more bigger question mark like Comrie might tell the kids that they should think about staying with the organization and working to win that spot.

anyhow... i do love Sammy. I love Raycroft... I just love Mara and the idea of picking up another pick when the club drafts so well and has cap problems on the horizon also appeal to me.

If the trade happened i would be intersted to see how it worked out.

I dont think im screwing phoenix... but i for one would be ok with this for boston too.

Old
09-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Michael, I think your logic is sound. And, I also think your proposal was more than fair (as they always are).

Old
09-18-2005, 07:52 PM
BruinAddict

Quote:
BruinAddict - Exactly where are the B's going to find the cap space to sign Samsonov? If they sign him to an extension in Jan it will put them over the cap for this year, since the cap is determiend by the average over the lifetime of the players contract. Unless Samsonov is willing to sign for exactly what he is making now, there will be no extension talks.
According to your logic, they could just agree on a new deal sometime after Jan. 1st and wait until the season is over before signing it. Yet at the same time, I find it hard to believe that new contracts would alter the current year's cap hit. I assume a new contract would not come into play until the following season. If this wasn't the case, teams could theoretically sign players for LESS than they are currently making and free up space (which I believe is prohibited).

Old
09-18-2005, 08:03 PM
BruinAddict

IMO this trade makes Boston worse in the short term. When Bruins shelled out big cash for older players, they did so for a run at the cup THIS year. This trade does not cooperate with those plans and would not be beneficial to the team right now. There are potential problems on D, but we haven't even seen what the kids have to offer. That said, if Boston's defense ends up needing help some time throughout the season, they do not necessarily need to give away their better players to get a rental defenseman for this year at the deadline. This summer they can tweak the line-up as they see fit and try to lure in a good defenseman if they got the room, but only time will tell.

Old
09-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Mike Barnett*

So you propose a Comrie/Mara/1st (or 2nd) for Samsonov/Raycroft deal

1) The Coyotes are not in any great need of need Andrew Raycroft (I think you have over-valued him)
a) With Boucher and Joseph the Coyotes do not need a goalie this season.
b) With Boucher and LeNeveu the Coyotes do not need a goalie for future seasons.

2) The Coyotes are stressing speed this season. Losing Mara and Comrie for the slower Samsonov goes against their game plan. The Coyotes believe that the bigger zones and the 2 line passes will only be countered with speed along the blueline. Players like Mara will be needed to speed back and help the goalies.

My rating of this trade prop? 4/10 The draft pick and acquiring a goalie that is not needed just doesnt make sense.

Old
09-18-2005, 08:19 PM
BruinAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barnett

1) The Coyotes are not in any great need of need Andrew Raycroft (I think you have over-valued him)
b) With Boucher and LeNeveu the Coyotes do not need a goalie for future seasons.

2) The Coyotes are stressing speed this season. Losing Mara and Comrie for the slower Samsonov goes against their game plan. The Coyotes believe that the bigger zones and the 2 line passes will only be countered with speed along the blueline. Players like Mara will be needed to speed back and help the goalies.

My rating of this trade prop? 4/10 The draft pick and acquiring a goalie that is not needed just doesnt make sense.

The slower Samsonov? You're kidding right? You ever seen him play before?

Old
09-18-2005, 08:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I proposed Mara and Kolanos for Samsonov a week or so ago on the Coyotes board. I wouldn't want to do it unless Ballard (or Spiller) has an REALLY impressive camp, though. Also, this thread is the first time I've ever heard about Samsonov and a five million dollar salary. I thought he was making three, where is that five coming from?

Old
09-18-2005, 08:47 PM
BruinAddict

He's making 2.77 this season, but some think he'll get 5 on the open market after this season. Myself, I think he'll get a 4Mish contract at most.

Old
09-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
yeah sammy will need a really solid season to get to 5... his star is on the decline after 2 injury plagued seasons.

I fear Samsonov has been misused in Boston. People who see him play everynight realize he is one of those magic players the make offense happen every shift he takes to the ice.

3 seasons ago he was playing with linemates like Guerin/Allison and he was outpointing them in Even strength situation. He was imho, the engine that drove that line. On the PP, Boston has traditionally went with bigger forwards for the first line... first putting Thornton with Allison/Guerin and then later it was Murray/Thornton/Knuble that forced Sammy to skate second line PP time.

Sammy had problems last season getting going, but his linemates once more were the second tier guys on Boston. Bergeron played alot of the year on the third line. Thornton played with Murray and Knuble.

Rolston was put with Sammy for awhile, and their styles clashed big time. Lapointe was put with him for awhile, and again id didnt suit Sammy well either.

When Nylander joined the team late, he and Sammy were pretty much outplaying Joe and Murray down the stretch and into the playoffs... but then again Joe was hurt himself then.

I think Sammy does deserve a chance to be the goto guy on a team. I saw alot of Comrie here in Edmonton and the guy has good talent too, but I think Sammy has the bigger heart.

frankly, Id prob be happy with Bret Hull instead of Comrie too, since either guy is really pretty much a one year fill in if Im Boston.

Mara is the kid I step up and sign to an extension. I am a proponent to getting guys signed early rather than later. Id have no problem putting a 2.5 mill offer on a longer term deal for Mara... maybe even a tad more if it was weighted with some performance bonuses.

Im not GM of Boston though.

I just saw the list of potential UFA coming up next season. There are some very good dmen who could be available, including Mara. Maybe the B's should just stand pat this year... try to find a dman at the deadline if the kids dont come through... and then go after a Mara or Brewer type in the offseason when Leetch takes a paycut next season?

It would suck to see Sammy leave for nothing... but ultimately I just want a dman to solidfy the Bruin's fortunes, and I do think Sammy is the better player over either Comrie or Hull at this point in all three guys careers.

I love that Raycroft signed so far below what I predicted too. I imagine long term, this will hurt the club if he harbors some hard feelings over the hardball played, but short term, that extra 500-600 k in savings will be valuable to upgrade the d too.

Overall, for the record... I have almost always liked the moves MOC has made, and overall I am giving him an A- grade again this year.

Old
09-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barnett

1) Nobody proposed a Comrie/Mara/1st rounder deal. I did suggest Mara, Comrie and a PICK. I was thinking along the lines of a 4th rounder though.

2) Boucher is not a very good goalie and CuJo is way, way past his peak. The Coyotes could most certaily benifit from an upgrade in goal. Right now, you goaltending is probably not playoff caliber.

3) Overvalauing Raycroft, eh? Did Mara win a rookie of the year award last season and essentially lead his team in to the playoffs? Can you really tell us, with a straight face, that Mara's market value exceeds Raycroft's?

4) Samsonov is "slower" than Comrie? that says about all we need to know about your objectivity.

Old
09-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I think the suggestion that Boston would trade Raycroft at present is flawed. They did not stock up this summer to make a run, only to deal their proven goaltender, no matter how high they are on Toivonen. In my opinion, they want Toivonen to get a year as a backup, and Raycroft is a player one might legitimately dangle in a proposal next summer providing that Toivonen shines in a backup role and has every bit as strong a debut as did Raycroft... which is quite a tall order.

I'm not much of a fan of Comrie or Samsonov, and I am probably higher on Paul Mara than are most people. He's one of my favorites, but he is going to be a UFA next summer.

Right now, the way I read it is that Boston isn't looking to deal their proven goaltender after stocking up for a run. Phoenix, also having stocked up, is not looking for a starting goaltender after signing Joseph this summer. So this is a poor trade partner for Boston at this time if Raycroft is the center of their package. That's a package also rooted in the belief that they'd consider dealing Raycroft in the first place, which is something I tend to doubt.

Last edited by Drake1588: 09-18-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old
09-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinAddict
According to your logic, they could just agree on a new deal sometime after Jan. 1st and wait until the season is over before signing it. Yet at the same time, I find it hard to believe that new contracts would alter the current year's cap hit. I assume a new contract would not come into play until the following season. If this wasn't the case, teams could theoretically sign players for LESS than they are currently making and free up space (which I believe is prohibited).
I believe that new contracts do alter the current year's hit. If you sign a player to an extension, the length of the current contract is increased. But, the new CBA is a murky beast so I'm not confident that this is the case.

I'm not even sure what you are talking about by players signing contracts for less than they are making right now. Why in the world would any player do that? Yes, that is theoretically possible. But, what motivation would a player have for taking a paycut in the coming seasons?

The "handshake deal" is also possible but, again, not likely.

But, let's leave asside this year's cap hit. Tell me where you see 4 million - 5 million of room on the Bruins payroll for next season even? Murray is a on a longterm deal, as is Thornton, and Scatch. You'll need to resign Raycroft - and I can assure you he won't want to play another season at 1 million and you'll also have to do something to shore up the defense.

Bruins have zero degrees of freedom here. Samsonov is as good as gone and there is nothing Boston can do about it.

Old
09-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Mike Barnett*

Quote:
1) Nobody proposed a Comrie/Mara/1st rounder deal. I did suggest Mara, Comrie and a PICK. I was thinking along the lines of a 4th rounder though.
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Karlstrom II
A deal of Samsonov/Raycroft for Comrie/Mara would clear up over half a million in cap room for Boston right off the bat. I think Boston suffers in the overall talent exchange so I would need a draft pick from Phoenix. Call it a first if Sammy signs next year or a second rounder if he doesnt.
Why don't we just call it a stupid trade for Phoenix to have Raycroft, Boucher and Joseph on their NHL roster with LeNeveu in San Antonio of the AHL while giving up 2 top skaters and a top 2 draft pick.

Last edited by Mike Barnett: 09-18-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old
09-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Mike Barnett*

Quote:
2) Boucher is not a very good goalie and CuJo is way, way past his peak. The Coyotes could most certaily benifit from an upgrade in goal. Right now, you goaltending is probably not playoff caliber.

3) Overvalauing Raycroft, eh? Did Mara win a rookie of the year award last season and essentially lead his team in to the playoffs? Can you really tell us, with a straight face, that Mara's market value exceeds Raycroft's?

4) Samsonov is "slower" than Comrie? that says about all we need to know about your objectivity.
Now let's address the so-called hockey side of this silly post.

2) The Coyotes think differently about Boucher than you. I have recently read that Barnett said that last season's Coyotes goalie coach tried to turn Boucher into a butterfly goalie instead of a reflex goalie. That's why they did not resign Allaire to come back and be the goalie again. Barnett believes that Boucher, when playing his own style with the help of Fuhr (the new Coyotes goalie coach) will bring Boucher back to the level of play of when he took the Flyers tothe conference finals.

Joseph is old. From what is coming out of the Coyotes training camp, Joseph will be the #2 goalie, not the #1.

3) Just because the original poster over-valued Raycroft does not mean anything regarding the talent level of Paul Mara. He said that he believes Raycroft to be the "real deal". I disagree. I do not think Raycroft is anything special. He played well when he found himself in the right situation (meaning a team with no #1 goalie). With all the rule changes regarding the goalies (equipment and skating area) it would be stupid to trade away quality and proven NHLers for a goalie who has only had one decent season on his resume. Yes, that is what I call over-valueing Raycroft.

4) Yep. From what I have seen of either player I believe Comrie to be faster than Samsonov. Could I be wrong? Sure, I could. I am basing my beliefs on what I have seen. I guess we will have to wait until we get some sort of time on both players. Does anyone have a link to the last timed speed test?

Last edited by Mike Barnett: 09-18-2005 at 11:37 PM.
Old
09-18-2005, 11:33 PM
BruinAddict

Quote:
I believe that new contracts do alter the current year's hit. If you sign a player to an extension, the length of the current contract is increased. But, the new CBA is a murky beast so I'm not confident that this is the case.

I'm not even sure what you are talking about by players signing contracts for less than they are making right now. Why in the world would any player do that? Yes, that is theoretically possible. But, what motivation would a player have for taking a paycut in the coming seasons?

The "handshake deal" is also possible but, again, not likely.

But, let's leave asside this year's cap hit. Tell me where you see 4 million - 5 million of room on the Bruins payroll for next season even? Murray is a on a longterm deal, as is Thornton, and Scatch. You'll need to resign Raycroft - and I can assure you he won't want to play another season at 1 million and you'll also have to do something to shore up the defense.

Bruins have zero degrees of freedom here. Samsonov is as good as gone and there is nothing Boston can do about it.

A hypothetical situation could be: high-paid player in the last year of their contract, signs a multi-year extension that decreases his cap hit, enabling a team to make a trade that brings in more salary. This won't happen very often, but I believe it is possible.

In terms of cap space next year, there are several players that should be expecting raises (pending 05-06 success), but also quite a few players are off the books also. If some rookies step-up and make decent progress, low-priced rookies have the potential to free up space from their over-priced predecessors.

All in all, anything can happen in this crazy new-world, so I'm not going to be surprised at anything, especially seeing Sammy wearing a spoked-B next year.

Old
09-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinAddict
All in all, anything can happen in this crazy new-world, so I'm not going to be surprised at anything, especially seeing Sammy wearing a spoked-B next year.
This is a hard point to argue with, I admit. I never thought I'd see Foote sign in Columbus, or Forsberg leave the Avs. So, anything can happen.

Closed Thread