HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Opinions on Larry Brooks?

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Jacques Plante

vCash: 500
Opinions on Larry Brooks?

It seems that everytime I read a Larry Brooks article, in the Hockey News or some other publication, he is absolutely ripping the Rangers. It makes for entertaining reading (I guess that's because I'm not a NYR fan) but I wonder if he's just writing for 'shock value' rather than writing smartly.

I'm curious as to what you Rangers fans think of him. Obviously I don't get to see this team daily like you guys, so I can't form my own opinions about Brooks. Do you guys think Brooks is fair, do you think it's just another example of how tough a town New York is or do you guys think that Brooks' work is trash?

Basically, my question is: should I trust Brooks' articles as a valid and trustworthy source?

Thanks in advance

Old
09-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Choice

Well its not like its difficult to rip the Rangers, and there hasn't been much to warrant praise over the last 7 years. His criticismd can be on point. What I find to be the most annoying thing about Brooks is how he'll pull absurd trade rumors out of his *** that have anyone from Lemieux to Kovalchuk coming to NY.

Old
09-18-2005, 03:24 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
Well its not like its difficult to rip the Rangers, and there hasn't been much to warrant praise over the last 7 years. His criticismd can be on point. What I find to be the most annoying thing about Brooks is how he'll pull absurd trade rumors out of his *** that have anyone from Lemieux to Kovalchuk coming to NY.
Careful. Brooks does often throw "rumors" from "sources" around. However, like in the case of Kovalchuk, a lot of times people confuse his opinions for rumors. Brooks never said that Kovalchuk was coming to the Rangers, he said that the Rangers should sign him to an offer sheet.

I like Brooks. I take what he writes with a grain of salt but it makes for a good read and for good conversation.

Old
09-18-2005, 03:24 PM
FLYLine24*

The info he digs up it usually good, but he has some opinions thats aren't always agreed with.

Old
09-18-2005, 04:32 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
The info he digs up it usually good, but he has some opinions thats aren't always agreed with.
Being from the pro-owner side of the labor wars, I actually learned to hate the guy.He can't sink any lower after being the NHLPA ch for a year IMO. Alot of reporters/columnists are fans of the team that they are covering. Right or wrong Larry Brooks is no Rags fan.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 09-18-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old
09-18-2005, 05:27 PM
BringBackNeilSmith

About halfway between John Dellapina and Rick Carpiniello (unimpeachable integrity, realistic, well-informed) and Stan Fischler (full of crap, doesn't even know what or who is interesting anymore so that even his wild statements are dull). Larry knows enough and works hard enough that sometimes he scoops everybody. But he also seeks axes to grind that will give him a bigger podium and whether he's right or not is secondary. Gotta read him, gotta add many grains of salt. He publishes lots of days the others take off, for which he matters a little just on that account.

Old
09-18-2005, 05:37 PM
BigE

I think Larry does a good job of evaluating the on-ice issues of the team and even the locker room stuff. What I don't like about Larry is that he's extremely negative during the offseason. He paints a very bad picture, warranted or not, which is detracting for the casual hockey fan. It's not just that he's anti-Sather but that he goes on and on and on about it - it's tiresome, for sure. In addition to his negativity, he's nearly the equivalent to Ek_ lund in terms of his transaction predicting abilities.

Now that we're into the season, I'll freely wander over to the NYPost webpage for a read. He's competent enough as a hockey person to present an accurate picture of what's happening at the camp, and that I appreciate.

** Oh yeah, the fact that the "one who must go unmentioned" is censored is a complete joke. Who makes these rules?

Old
09-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Nazzy-19

Slightly OT, but has anyone heard anything about Burke's lawsuit against Brooks?

Old
09-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19
Slightly OT, but has anyone heard anything about Burke's lawsuit against Brooks?
I'll throw a few words together about this on The Rant Page in the next ten hours.

Old
09-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Fletch

One thing to remember about Larry...

is that he's a reporter, not an analyst. He's all over the board with his opinions and recommendations. But as a reporter, in order to get people to read his column as opposed to others' is he needs to differentiate himself. One way to do this is through exclusive interviews, or hearing it first there. The other is to post the rumors that go around. Unfortunately, the rumors seldomly come to fruition. I, unlike many, do not think he actually makes them up, rather it's an interpretation from his 'sources' who do give him information. The Rangers' management likely talks about a lot of things that don't end up happening; but it doesn't mean that they aren't talking about the - it's the interpretation of these activities that makes so many reporters wrong so often.

Last edited by Fletch: 09-18-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old
09-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Nich

brooks = trash

Old
09-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
But as a reporter, in order to get people to read his column
You're kinda mixing things here.

There are journalists and columnists. Brooks is both, but at different times.

When he is reporting he must hold to a standard consistent with the accurate description of factual events as his sources portray.

But when he's being a columnist, his words are editorial in nature. They are opinion, nothing more. Such was the piece he did on Burke.

I cannot say if the following holds true 100% of the time. But it has been my personal observation that his columns are those pieces published on the web site with his picture next to the title on the Sport TOC page.

On the other hand, his beat-writer material appears without the photo and lower on the TOC page. That's when he's "reporting" rather than "editorializing".

Last edited by Rodent: 09-18-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old
09-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19
Okay. Here's why I don't believe the case will go to court:

http://hockeyrodent.com/r1315.htm

Old
09-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Fletch

Let me put it another way, Rodent...

since I'm trying to say something that may not be clear. If you're looking for hockey insights, meaning real game analysis or player analysis or league analysis, don't read Brooks. If you're looking to read a bunch of interesting stories, many of which may or may not come to fruition and others in which you may not read someplace else, then read Brooks. I wasn't getting into the semantics of journalist vs. reporter moreso a guy who knows hockey and a guy who really doesn't.

Old
09-19-2005, 10:08 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Brooks is opinionated, colorful and prolific, but is not a great reporter. He's got an axe that would make a beefeater jealous to grind with Rangers management and was almost laughably one-sided in his coverage of the lockout (pro-union). Neither his content nor his style compares favorably to the other local writers, although to be fair I have to say that they're not awful either. Bottom line, if you're a Rangers fan in the NY area, he's required reading, but you have to take him with more than a few grains of salt (as others have said).

Today (Monday) is actually a good day to see what I'm talking about - look at his article and Dellapina's 2 in the Daily News.

Old
09-19-2005, 11:20 AM
bleedgreen

the ny post is basically a tabloid. its very flashy, and not a huge bastion of solid journalism, imo. if you want professional, go to the times, or maybe the daily news. if you want big headlines and scandals in the entertainment world....see the post. while their sports section is very detailed and thorough, its unsurprising a guy who writes like brooks is their guy. i think his job is to get people upset and be opinionated and biased, and it works. he blatantly makes up trade rumours all the time, and its pretty transparant if you read him daily. whenever someone somewhere has trouble signing a player, brooks imagines him in a rags jersey and gives away whatever overpaid player he would like to be rid of most. it used to be nedved. i suspect jagr will be his favorite this season.

you always have to take into consideration what paper a guy works for, it usually gives you a clue to how they will write. at the post he has no responsibility to be wholly accurate about anything, if anything he gets a raise for stirring the pot any way possible.

Old
09-19-2005, 02:42 PM
jcrangerno1

Larry Brooks ??!!

Lets just say I miss the days of Frank Brown covering the Rangers. I think Brooks is a self serving little twit who always has his panties in an uproar over something. He reminds me of the little accountant in school who would sit and watch sports and just dream he was tough enough to play!

It is laughable the way he covered the lockout (and still bashes the owners and player union). The worst part is that with no hockey they let him write articles on baseball (notice I did not say cover baseball - that would be an insult to the baseball writers).

Someone should just hire the "fantastic Mr. Brooks" to run their team as a GM. I would laugh my tail off watching "his" team finish dead last every year!!!

Old
09-19-2005, 03:11 PM
426er

Larry Brooks

I find his columns entertaining, Sometimes hilarious the way he brings in obscure players - btw it seems he got taken off covering the Devils because Lou had enough of him.

Old
09-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
Brooks is opinionated, colorful and prolific, but is not a great reporter. He's got an axe that would make a beefeater jealous to grind with Rangers management and was almost laughably one-sided in his coverage of the lockout (pro-union). Neither his content nor his style compares favorably to the other local writers, although to be fair I have to say that they're not awful either. Bottom line, if you're a Rangers fan in the NY area, he's required reading, but you have to take him with more than a few grains of salt (as others have said).

Today (Monday) is actually a good day to see what I'm talking about - look at his article and Dellapina's 2 in the Daily News.
I have no problem with Brooks. 1st thing sunday morning I check out nypost.com thanks to him. There are so extremely little written by NYR in the media that its scary. My local 2nd tier hockey team in Sweden gets 2x the press so I am happy to get whats out there.

But I have to agree with you that he is extremely one-sided in his articles. If he is critizising something he never looks at it from any other angle then the one he is covering. I don't get it. If he is trying to make a point he will win allot more support if he writes a good article with arguments gooing both ways.

Also what I can't get is when he reports "made up rumors" given to him from the NYR org. or other parties and fans goes nuts because of it. Sure stuff like Graves& Stevens to Vancouver for Öhlund and Jovo were a bit to much but who cares. It is not unusual that GM's "tests" a rumor in the media to see how fans react. Its also not unusual that agents creates a buzz around his players by making up false rumors. Take a guy like Czerkawski. I know for a fact that there were zero interest around him in the league. His european agent then tells a Swedish paper that the Rangers, Toronto and several other teams are interested in him. A month later he is signed, after beeing turned down by all teams in the SEL.

Last edited by Ola: 09-19-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old
09-19-2005, 03:37 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I like Brooksie.On Sunday morning,the first column I read is the Slapshots column.I like his columns on the Yankees.He grew up a huge Yankee and Mantle fan.Some of his opinions are over the top but that's Larry

Old
09-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Jacques Plante

Thanks for the input guys!

Old
09-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Okay. Here's why I don't believe the case will go to court: