HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Analytics and Extended Stats Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you even CORSI, bro???
chya 11 34.38%
nah 11 34.38%
wut 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-28-2017, 10:15 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
The goalie is the key to the PK. What % of its success falls on him? A high % could explain what Twabby says.

Isn't PKing the easiest part of hockey? It seems like it to me, as you typically have the least skilled players out there first. I won't read too much into Barry sending out puck eaters Alzner or Orpik first.

You can ice the puck and change. You get to turtle. Most of the time, you are largely standing around, waving your stick, or moving back and forth between 2 spots. Maybe battle a screener in front. Close your eyes and turn your head to block a shot and hope for the best.

In the era of all players now being mobile, players are more alike than ever, and thus able to be interchangeable parts.

I presume the guys we don't see PK did well at PKing as they came up the ranks, otherwise that would be a huge red flag on them. I just cannot imagine a guy like Schmidt did not get significant PK time in college.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2017, 12:08 PM
twabby

vCash: 500
I'd guess that PKing is still "hard" in that it requires effort and sacrifice and perhaps a few players in the league wouldn't be willing to sacrifice their bodies to block a shot or whatever, but by and large almost all NHLers are relatively equivalent at it because I imagine most players buy-in enough to reach that baseline level of skill before returns diminish.

The discussion started with lineup construction and basically given the data I wouldn't prioritize penalty killing ability over other aspects such as even strength and power play ability where there are very discernible skill disparities. As someone mentioned earlier, it'd be like prioritizing signing a long-snapper or gunner in football over signing a stud wide-receiver or quarterback.

Give me 6 effective ES and PP defenseman and 12 ES and PP forwards and I'll figure out who will kill penalties later.

twabby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 07:52 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

If anyone (cough Twabby) takes a look at the series data, let us know if anything stands out, to validate or not any AS. It seemed a tale of 2 series - minimal coaching from Barry 1-3, and Barry coaching 4-6.

Looking here, I have to laugh at poor Bruce, crushing Corsi yet cannot score. Take 100 shots 1 has to go in!!!1! Classic desperation mode thinking.

A pens blog has an AS heavy analysis (including rebound data) of their D pairs from round 1. - no sheltering of the bottom pair.

Old
04-24-2017, 10:36 AM
twabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If anyone (cough Twabby) takes a look at the series data, let us know if anything stands out, to validate or not any AS. It seemed a tale of 2 series - minimal coaching from Barry 1-3, and Barry coaching 4-6.

Looking here, I have to laugh at poor Bruce, crushing Corsi yet cannot score. Take 100 shots 1 has to go in!!!1! Classic desperation mode thinking.

A pens blog has an AS heavy analysis (including rebound data) of their D pairs from round 1. - no sheltering of the bottom pair.
Here's a series recap of +/- 5v5 shot attempts. It's unadjusted data but it should be good enough to get a summary of the series.

Old
04-24-2017, 11:16 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Thanks much Twabby. I seem to remember Shattenkirk taking a few big hits. Suddenly, his offense vanished and couldn't hit the side of a barn, around game 4 or so.

Old
05-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Ahimsa

Quote:
Why the Capitals-Penguins series is the one Corsi hates
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...tals-sullivan/

Quote:
Hockeyfan1001 Rank 42
The Corsi stat has not only proven itself to be bogus in this series but others also.
In the 1st round Minnesota had a +101 Corsi against St. Louis and lost in 5 games.
Columbus was +40 against Pittsburgh and also lost in 5.
Montreal was +34 against the Rangers and lost in 6.
Calgary was +9 against and was swept by Anaheim.

Ahimsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2017, 09:14 AM
twabby